MONKEYBoxx™-The Wooder Man

Status
Not open for further replies.

Klute

ECF Veteran
Oct 23, 2010
Colorado Springs
My MONKEYBoxx..... Zebra Wood with Wenge Ends & Inlay - My first mod so I can't compare to any other mod. Looks Great, Feels great, Vapes Great. Easy to use in both Left and Right Hand. Can vape easily in the left hand with right hand on my mouse.... Monster Vape compared to my eGo....

monkeylight.jpg

TomB

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Nov 13, 2010
Gainesville, Florida USA
I will fix it up and do my best to make you happy. The unit should work when you get it no question about that I took real care and did my best in building it, I am sure i could improve. What a humbler that deal is.

I like the activator button switch I think the feel is awesome. I dont know what a phidias button is like.

The metal needles have a tube at the end because the flexible rubber makes the actual seal in the hole, a metal needle wont seal the hole. And the tube will not melt because it does not extend into the atomizer. I have been using this setup for a couple of weeks in my own units and I like it. I have not noticed any melting of the tubes thus far.

I have a new type of safety switch on the side that I am using now its black and enclosed in a housing and it has a definative snap that i agree is much nicer to use and gives better peace of mind. I can put that kind in for you, and I think you will like it better.

I will make sure the lid is held on tighter maybe with bigger magnets.

I am still proud of the monkey and not ashamed to say I make them. I am ashamed that yours has a problem, but will fix it up to your liking or refund your money if it doesnt work out.

Got my beta MONKEY today....here's the low down:

The wood is beautiful, the unit looks great. I love this wood combo! The craftsmanship is excellent, the fit and finish is great.

Now, the critique....

The activation switch is not as nice as the one on my Phidias. It feels a bit cheaper. After putting in a battery, I had no power the atty. Retested the battery and atty in the Phi and they works fine. Put them back in the MONKEY and it worked for about 2-3 seconds then cut off. Dinked around with it for about 10 minutes moving wires and playing with the side-switch, it worked again once but just for a couple of seconds then it wouldn't work. Mine is going back to the MonkeyShop for some fine tuning.

I filled the bottle and found it a VERY tight fit with thermal cut-off switch. I had to force the bottle down and make it scrape the cap. For fun, I took out the battery, put in the bottle first and I found I couldn't insert the battery at all. It was just far too tight of a fit with my black AW 18650. I also noted that the top feeder tube was not perfectly straight into the atty adapter with the battery and bottle in place. It had to bend a little to fit. It also seemed like the metal needle was so close to the side-switch wire and thermal cut-off connectors on the switch it could almost short them. There needs to be more clearance between the switch posts to be sure the needle doesn't touch both posts.

The side cut-off switch was a little goobered-up with glue. You need to be more careful so glue doesn't get on the sliding mechanism of the switch. The switch doesn't feel very good, it doesn't click or anything to give you that warm and fuzzy feeling that unit it 100% off. A better feeling, more positive side-switch would be an improvment.

The lid is too loose. In either orientation, if I hold it upside down and shake it, it will fall off. Not sure what's going on with it, but the magnets don't seem to holding it. Perhaps more or stronger magnets will resolve the issue. They seem to be making contact. It could be because the lid fit is off my a hair. The gap on one side is greater than on the other. It could be the polarity of the magnets on one side is incorrect because I push the gap together and come right back. This is a job for the MonkeyShop.

Finally, I'm hoping the tubing that extends into the atty will not melt. I admit I was a bit surprized that the metal cannula didn't go into the atty like on the Phidias. My preference would be to have the metal tube at the top and the plastic tube going down into the bottle. To me the arrangement seemed backwards....at least from my expectations. Look at the bottle feed system from the Phidias in the last picture.

I don't want to leave folks with a bad impression of the MonkeyBoxx, mine was one of the first units and Tom is still perfecting the design. I'm just relaying my observations and I'm confident Tom will get me taken care of....as they say....stuff happens. I hope my analysis will help him to futher improve the design. :)

Here's a few pics for folks to enjoy!
mb1.jpg

mb2.jpg

mb3.jpg

mb4.jpg

mb5.jpg

mb6.jpg

Bottle feed system from the Phidias:

phibottle.jpg

mwa102464

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Oct 14, 2009
Outside of the Philadelphia Burbs, NJ & Fla
Awesome, thank you !

yup, yup,= Your item was processed through and left our PHILADELPHIA, PA 19919 facility on January 05, 2011. The item is currently in transit to the destination. Information, if available, is updated periodically throughout the day. Please check again later.

alisab

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 15, 2010
WI
Hey all you Monkeys,

I didn't see mine today if it is coming by regular mail it wasn't there today - at first I thought it was but it was a package with battery chargers (what a drag - but important in it's way...) I have an overnight shift and so couldn't wait for any other type of delivery. On the way to work I saw a Fed EX about 5 miles from my place - I live in the country so a Fed Ex anywhere is meaningful. Thought about pulling in behind him as he was parking for a delivery and then a little begging - but - had to get to work, maybe I'll get it tomorrow. Thanks for posting your "boxxes" they look wonderful - I can't wait to see mine!

Lazerrred

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 10, 2010
Flo SC, USA
Here's my preliminary first glance of my new Monkeyboxx after 18 holes of golf and the obligatory 19th hole bar BS session, then off to the Sushi bar for dinner. :) This is not a "beta test" model. I ordered it, paid for it and am vaping it as I type.

All is good, door fits rightside up or down, doesn't seem to matter except the orientation of the grain. Fit and finish is not quite as good as a Phidias (the best ever) or an Ali'i, (almost) but pretty darn good. Pretty darn good craftsmanship for a hand made wooden device. I colored the glue around the kill switch with a wood felt tip marker and may at some point in time, fill the edges with some wood "wax" filler. I can blend it so the switch will just about disappear. ;) My kill switch works as designed. On is up, down is off. It is flush and it works fine for me. If I get another, I may delete the switch altogether. For me, there were no clearance problems with any part of the device. The fire button had the same click and feel to me and also looked exactly like the Ali'i button but not as smooth as the Phid button. I did question the fit of the feed tubing through the connector as it appeared a bit loose. But, so far after about 5mls of liquid vaped today, (on the golf course bouncing in the cart and not paying close attention to how much I over or under squeezed the bottle) there is not one drop of liquid inside or outside the box. :) So, so far, so good. Oh, and it does vape like a monster. The Monkeyboxx is for me, quite a good value, and is a great vape.
Would I buy another Monkeyboxx ? Absolutely. Thanks Tom.

On to the pics. She really is a beautiful Zebra Monkeyboxx. Oh, and notice how well the grain comes together on the door to the body seam. Almost perfect. :)

IMG_0692.jpg

IMG_0690.jpg

IMG_0689.jpg

Dry as an old bone after bouncing around in the golf cart all day.

IMG_0696.jpg

IMG_0694.jpg

Size comparison with other woodies.

IMG_0685.jpg

jcamacho

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 1, 2010
Corpus Christi, Texas
Nothing wrong with my button and I'm satisfied with my feed system-works great! Tom I wouldn't change too many things yet. Wait until you hear from everyone that received this last batch and see how everyone else feels about their Monkey Box, if everyone complains about the same thing then change it. You won't be able to please everyone, but you should be able to please the majority. You can always refund their money if not pleased like you stated. Carry on Bro!

TomB

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Nov 13, 2010
Gainesville, Florida USA
Nothing wrong with my button and I'm satisfied with my feed system-works great! Tom I wouldn't change too many things yet. Wait until you hear from everyone that received this last batch and see how everyone else feels about their Monkey Box, if everyone complains about the same thing then change it. You won't be able to please everyone, but you should be able to please the majority. You can always refund their money if not pleased like you stated. Carry on Bro!

Makes a whole bunch of sense my friend.

TomB

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Nov 13, 2010
Gainesville, Florida USA
That's a cool comparison photo. I think I can improve the finish a bit. There is no reason why I can't make it silky smooth like the phidy. I don't like the looks of the side switch either with the excess epoxy. I was trying to make sure the switch was well secured and robust, but it looks sorta poopy with the glue around the edges. I have a new switch, its all black. I have already used it on a couple of boxes shipped.

Here's my preliminary first glance of my new Monkeyboxx after 18 holes of golf and the obligatory 19th hole bar BS session, then off to the Sushi bar for dinner. :) This is not a "beta test" model. I ordered it, paid for it and am vaping it as I type.

All is good, door fits rightside up or down, doesn't seem to matter except the orientation of the grain. Fit and finish is not quite as good as a Phidias (the best ever) or an Ali'i, (almost) but pretty darn good. Pretty darn good craftsmanship for a hand made wooden device. I colored the glue around the kill switch with a wood felt tip marker and may at some point in time, fill the edges with some wood "wax" filler. I can blend it so the switch will just about disappear. ;) My kill switch works as designed. On is up, down is off. It is flush and it works fine for me. If I get another, I may delete the switch altogether. For me, there were no clearance problems with any part of the device. The fire button had the same click and feel to me and also looked exactly like the Ali'i button but not as smooth as the Phid button. I did question the fit of the feed tubing through the connector as it appeared a bit loose. But, so far after about 5mls of liquid vaped today, (on the golf course bouncing in the cart and not paying close attention to how much I over or under squeezed the bottle) there is not one drop of liquid inside or outside the box. :) So, so far, so good. Oh, and it does vape like a monster. The Monkeyboxx is for me, quite a good value, and is a great vape.
Would I buy another Monkeyboxx ? Absolutely. Thanks Tom.

On to the pics. She really is a beautiful Zebra Monkeyboxx. Oh, and notice how well the grain comes together on the door to the body seam. Almost perfect. :)

IMG_0692.jpg

IMG_0690.jpg

IMG_0689.jpg

Dry as an old bone after bouncing around in the golf cart all day.

IMG_0696.jpg

IMG_0694.jpg

Size comparison with other woodies.

IMG_0685.jpg

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread