Not open for further replies.

Ratman

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 10, 2012
Tulsa OK
I'm sad.

I just watched this review of the VV Reo Grand, and it doesn't sound as if the first "at bat" is the home run that I was hoping for.

VV Reo Grand Review (Variable Voltage) - YouTube

The "lowlights" - funky button, funky voltage wheel, jostling batteries, and a possibly funky 510 connection. Grrr. He loved the VV Woodville, and the actual performance of the VV Grand was great, but his bottom line is that he wouldn't buy the VV Grand again knowing what he knows now.

He could be all wet, so please don't shoot the messenger (or the piano player). I'm just reporting on what I saw from someone who seems totally legit. From everything else I've ever heard or read, I love Reo's, and will just have to bide my time until these (IMO) bugs get worked out of the VV Grand. The wait will just make the eventual "squonking" just that much sweeter. :)

Hy John D,
I have a VV REO Grand. I didn't watch the review but I have no issues at all with the bottom of it, no idea what he would even be taling about. The batteries are a little on the loose side, I think this is necessary to make sure the spring is able to collapse in the event of a short. This is a standard REO safety feature but it's more noticeable with stacked batteries. It is not a problem with normal operation but I can see a battery sliding out of place if handled roughly. I would like to see the metal divider used on the vv grand that the regular grand has. I think it would help them stay in place a little better. For now a folded business card between the battery and juice bottle suffices.

The voltage wheel is very small but is in a very good place and I do like it a lot better than a using a screwdriver which most vv feeder boxes use. It's a compromise I guess and not as good as a button and read out like a tube mod would have but not bad at all. No issues with the 510 connection. I have run cartos, atty's and RBA attys on mine without any problems.

Just my experience with it so far.

John D in CT

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 27, 2012
Connecticut
Ratman -

Thanks for that; first-hand experience from a long-time user is really the best evidence. I took the first review far too much to heart since he sure seemed to dislike it a great deal; funny how he hated the button and the others loved it. Having it recessed seems to have its advantages, and the battery thing can be easily rectified - and it also sounds like the 510 connection "problem" doesn't even exist. Like I said - live and learn.

I did try to atone for my haste by posting the following, which you probably saw but I'll repost out of respect for the excellent Reo line which certainly deserves a fair assessment, and certainly not to be besmirched based on one review:

As I often do, I'm going to plead near-complete ignorance. :)

Here's a much more favorable review, from someone who finds the VV Grand "brilliant, magnificient, and wonderful":

Reo Grand Variable Voltage Bottomfeeder - YouTube

I'm off now to look for a tie-breaker. :)

OK - this guy LOVES the button, and thinks it's a "wonderful mod":

Variable Voltage Reo Grand - YouTube

Looks like it's back on my "Gotta Try" list.

Wishing I had watched all three before I posted anything ......... but live and learn.

Reminds me of some excellent advice; "Make sure your words are sweet, because you never know when you're going to have to eat them". :)

Peace.

Ratman

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 10, 2012
Tulsa OK
Oh it's all good John, I didn't take your post as a bash on the REO and I am sure Rob wouldn't either. Every one vapes differently and can have very different experiences using the same mod or pv. I love the button, the reviewer didn't. To each their own :)

I like the REO's but I like the Bogger Box and the Provari etc etc too. Just saw your comment about wanting to hear from someone who has one and so thought I would share my experience with it. It is very, very good but it isn't perfect. I haven't found a perfect pv yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread