The costs of running this huge site are paid for by ads. Please consider registering and becoming a Supporting Member for an ad-free experience. Thanks, ECF team.

New studies find carcinogens in vg and pg at high temps, even in tootle puffers

Discussion in 'General Vaping Discussion' started by mikepetro, Mar 6, 2017.

Image has been removed.
URL has been removed.
Email address has been removed.
Media has been removed.
  1. Fiestylillady

Fiestylillady Senior Member

Dec 14, 2017
    USA
    Sorry about my dry hands. Washed them Before taking the tank apart. But that's how my cotton looks after trying temp mod. I purchased those coils last night to give tc another try. I'm using the clapton coil. 32ohms coils. I burned the cotton on first attempt with tc with them. Do I have to toss the coils? I'm going to try and dry fire see how they look and rewick.

Attached Files:

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. stols001

stols001 Mistress of the Dark Nicotinic Arts Verified Member

Supporting member
    May 30, 2017
    Tucson, AZ
    Shouldn't have to change coils unless something comes loose as you wick it. It's also recommended that even SS coils, you are better off cleaning them thoroughly and then gently pulsing to check for hot spots. Not sure if with an exotic build that is going to be more difficult, but I've heard dry burning SS isn't good for it at least if you go at it with major gusto etc.

Anna

• Like Like x 3
    • Useful Useful x 1
  3. KenD

KenD Vaping Master ECF Veteran

Aug 20, 2013
    Stockholm, Sweden
    The Alien has very poor tc. That's at least part of the problems you're experiencing.

Sent from my Thor E using Tapatalk

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  4. mikepetro

mikepetro Vape Geek Verified Member ECF Veteran

Supporting member
    I agree with @KenD , those coils would push any TC mod.

Plus, look as I might, I could not actually find what alloy (ie 316, 430, etc) of SS that Mad Rabbit uses, it wasnt anywhere on their website that I could see. Your TCR might not actually match their wire.
    https://madrabbitllc.com/shop/stainless-steel-coil-packs-pre-made/

I would start with just a plain single wrap coil of a known alloy to test out your TC, get it working correctly like that, then experiment with more exotic builds. If you start with a working build, it gives you confidence in the Mod, then you can experiment.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 2
    • Useful Useful x 2
  5. Fiestylillady

Fiestylillady Senior Member

Dec 14, 2017
    USA
    Thank you all for the help. I feel like a silly rabbit because I first purchased a spool of ss and returned it for the premade thinking it would be easier. I didn't even notice out was missing the type of ss type. I tried calling the shop I purchased it in but I don't think they understand my question about the wire. What websites do you purchase your ss wire? I tried the majority of my local shops and they stint have ss only nichrome and I avoid it because of the nickel.

• Like Like x 1
  6. CMD-Ky

CMD-Ky Ultra Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Supporting member
    Sep 15, 2013
    KY
    TEMCO

Non-Resistance Wire - Wire, Cable & Accessories - Products

• Like Like x 5
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  7. Dubminer

Dubminer Ultra Member ECF Veteran

Apr 10, 2016
    I second Temco,all i use.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
  8. mikepetro

Supporting member
    • Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
  9. Mazinny

Mazinny Vaping Master Verified Member ECF Veteran

Jul 25, 2013
    NY
    Wow, what an unexpected surprise, and beyond generous ! I don't now what to say other than Thank You :). And thank you for all the work you put in.

I made a number of adjustments based on your test results, but now it's time to finally give TC a real try. I tried it with my iStick Pico and it was too fiddly, but like 440BB, time to learn escribe !

• Winner Winner x 3
    • Like Like x 2
  10. Fredman1

Fredman1 Super Member

Mar 27, 2017
    New Zealand
    Yep, my next challenge on the horizon. Head things don't come as easy to me as hand things do. Got some 430 st st that i'm exited to use in TC....

• Like Like x 3
  11. mikepetro

Supporting member
    I am going to stick my neck out, and without a thermocouple, say that this is probably too hot???

upload_2018-2-6_18-1-53.png

• Funny Funny x 7
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  12. Semiretired

Semiretired Vaping Master ECF Veteran

Sep 24, 2011
    Middle Georgia
    Is that one of those new BTU mods... (LOL)...

• Like Like x 3
    • Funny Funny x 1
  13. awsum140

awsum140 Vaping Master Verified Member ECF Veteran

Supporting member
    Looks more like LPG to me.

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. inspects

inspects Squonkamaniac Verified Member ECF Veteran

Dec 15, 2014
    Arizona, Ecuador
    Sounds like Evolv is trying to sell more chips.

I'm a thermographer, using a FLIR T-460 camera on an open wick-juiced coil I had a hard time finding any temps over 438 degrees. 438 degrees occurred after the juice had vaporized considerably, and I doubt anyone vaping normally would hit the atty that long in the first place. Therefore, my faith in Evolv's TC is very questionable, with regard to actual temperature.

• Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 2
  15. mikepetro

Supporting member
    Deleted - wrong forum

• Like Like x 1
  16. mikepetro

Supporting member
    I proved it out myself, look at the various tests in my Blog (link in my sig).
    I tested many attys that rose above 438 while actually vaping them.

My thermocouples told a different story. I measured the temp of the coil while actually vaping, therefor taking ALL of the variables into account, and ensuring no dry hits.
    upload_2018-2-7_6-19-56.png

upload_2018-2-7_6-23-46.png

I experimented with the FLIR type of camera, but it doesnt accurately simulate temperatures while vaping. For one thing the coil chamber is open, and there is no airflow. Nonetheless I measured high temps with my camera on an actual build of an R91. Well saturated wick. I measured higher temps in this open manner than I did while using a thermocouple, thats because in a closed atty the airflow of a puff is a major variable and it cools the coil.

upload_2018-2-7_6-28-13.png

5 second fire
    upload_2018-2-7_6-15-14.png

4 second fire
    upload_2018-2-7_6-16-34.png

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 7
    • Informative Informative x 5
    • Agree Agree x 2
  17. PugLady

PugLady Senior Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Sep 9, 2012
    Arnold Maryland
    If this info is indeed true, I haven't read into any of it yet but it would be just 1 more reason I am NOT a cloud chaser. In my crown 3 I use a 75/25 vg/pg juice in a .25 coil at only 30 W. Yup 30. I have tge airflow all but closed, just not even about 1/8th of an inch open. Those who don't know the lower the airflow you allow the lower your wattage must be, this will save your coils and help them last longer as well. The flavor is amazing there..

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  18. AzPlumber

AzPlumber Vaping Master Verified Member ECF Veteran

Aug 28, 2011
    Arizona
    Airflow is needed to temper the heat of the coil. In fact one of the worst offenders of high temp aldehyde producer is a low wattage, low airflow clearomizer.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Like Like x 2
  19. PugLady

Sep 9, 2012
    Arnold Maryland
    I let enough air through that it doesn't heat up or anything, works great for me. It's open and plenty of air coming through just not enough to diminish my flavor, ad I stay between 27 and 30 w.
    Don't know why my pics always come up sideways lol...[​IMG]

• Like Like x 5
    • Creative Creative x 1
  20. PugLady

Sep 9, 2012
    Arnold Maryland
    Wonder why my pics never come up... hmmmm

• Funny Funny x 1