Status
Not open for further replies.

AzPlumber

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 28, 2011
Arizona
I think it does confirm that in a mixture, PG will vaporize long before the VG does. Which makes sense based on boiling points etc.

Juice Boiling Point and Vaping Temperatures (includes BP Charts)

Interesting but at what point in the vaporizing process does the PG separate from the VG? If a 50/50 mixture wicks to the coil wouldn't they both vaporize at the same rate? If a higher % of PG is vaporized it would seem the PG would have to separate from the VG before reaching the coil. Maybe the radiant heat from the coil actually separates the mixture while it is wicking, idk just curious.

untar

Vaping Master
Feb 7, 2018
Germany
It's almost exactly like if you mix water and alcohol. They both have different boiling points and if you heat the mixture the alcohol will go first, leaving you with mostly water.

Boiling points isn't everything with vaping though as I get massive clouds weeeell under the boiling point of VG 290°C/554°F, but the experiments seem to show there's at least a correlation.

Cas002

ECF Veteran
Feb 4, 2018
Omaha NE
Aside from the boiling point, there's also the viscosity difference between PG and VG which is about 18X difference so the PG will be absorbed by the cotton about 18X faster then the VG. There are other factors to consider but looking at capillarity alone, PG makes it to the coil much faster than VG.

untar

Vaping Master
Feb 7, 2018
Germany
I vaguely remember a paper (my bookmarks have messy subdirectories) on the boiling point changing dramatically if you mix PG or VG with water, so my alcohol/water comparison may be a tad misleading.

A better statement would be to say it's almost exactly like alcohol and water, only it isn't :D

AzPlumber

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 28, 2011
Arizona
I vaguely remember a paper (my bookmarks have messy subdirectories) on the boiling point changing dramatically if you mix PG or VG with water, so my alcohol/water comparison may be a tad misleading.

A better statement would be to say it's almost exactly like alcohol and water, only it isn't :D

To vaporize alcohol from water you have to maintain a temp above alcohol's boiling point but below water's.

eta: If your coil temp is above the boiling point of both pg & vg both will be vapor.

AzPlumber

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 28, 2011
Arizona
Aside from the boiling point, there's also the viscosity difference between PG and VG which is about 18X difference so the PG will be absorbed by the cotton about 18X faster then the VG. There are other factors to consider but looking at capillarity alone, PG makes it to the coil much faster than VG.

Once the two are mixed together they become one single viscosity not two separate. This is why I assumed some force must separate them before reaching the coil.

Rossum

Eleutheromaniac
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 14, 2013
SE PA
Yes, it doesn't take much water to reduce the boiling point of a VG or PG and water mixture quite substantially. But that doesn't change the fact that whichever component of a liquid mixture that has the lowest boiling point will be the first to depart as temperature increases.

untar

Vaping Master
Feb 7, 2018
Germany
Found it, turns out it's the same link found in mikepetros blog (that he linked on the previous page)
VG and PG vs Temperature | atmoslab.com
That's a quite dramatic change in the boiling point of either PG or VG.

That doesn't tell us what exactly the mix behaves like but I believe the experiment, however unrealistic, still hints at PG vaporizing first and from there it continuously approaches the base liquid ratio (which may happen in a very short amount of time).

ScottP

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 9, 2013
Houston, TX
To vaporize alcohol from water you have to maintain a temp above alcohol's boiling point but below water's.

Not necessarily unless the alcohol is at least 50% of the makeup. This is precisely why people are often instructed to boil water after natural disasters such as hurricanes or earthquakes. Most people think it is to kill any bacteria but it is also to boil off any VOCs (Volatile Organic Compounds) that also have a boiling point below water. However since water is still the primary substance so even if you lose a little bit, you are still left with a lot of potable water.

sofarsogood

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 12, 2014
For some puffs, immediately after installing a new build or rewicking my RDA, I always notice that the amount of visible vapor produced is low but then that clears up. Perhaps the reason is those first few puffs are mostly PG, which doesn't produce much visible vapor. I always wondered how the early puffs could be weak. May be this boiling point difference is an answer and may be adding water to the mix encourages PG and VG to atomize more evenly? May be after the wick gets a little bit of carmalizing that helps heat both liquids more evenly? I don't add water to my DIY. May be I should try that. I use an RDA with stainless wire. My typical settings are 380 F 16-20 max watts, TC. I've always noticed variability in the amount of visible vapor with no obvious explanation.

mikepetro

Vape Geek
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 22, 2013
Newport News, Virginia, United States
I am on the extreme edge of many things but temp is not one of them, 410 or lower on TC (Evolve board, supposedly fairly accurate). Nine Watts, around seven Ohms on power. I don't understand the "volume", what does that refer to?
Volume in my context was how many mg of ejuice per puff you are consuming.

If you have X% nasties/mg at a given temp, if adequately wicked you will consume more nasties in a quad 4mm coiled atty than you would consume in a single 2.5mm coil. There are some builds at the extreme end of the spectrum that consume a lot of mg of juice per puff.

mikepetro

Vape Geek
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 22, 2013
Newport News, Virginia, United States
This research is very significant IMO. The dynamics of vaping are highly complex and they not only investigated the transport phenomena but also created a strong framework for other researchers to follow. I know it's not perfect, and Temperature should have been a variable, but I'm sure researchers will expand on this work. A few weeks ago I dusted off my Heat Transfer textbook from 30+ years ago to research the impact of forced convection on coil temperatures (using a cylinder model) to validate my theory that DTL and MTL draws impact coil temps measurably different (DTL having greater air volume per draw reduces temps more) but I struggled with some of the assumptions around the airflow of DTL vs. MTL and never completed a quick 'n dirty calculation...I'll get back to it soon. They cover forced convection and many other factors in the complex vaping system. I'm just starting to read the PDF of this research and really looking forward to it. Great find @mikepetro, thanks!
My temperature testing definitely backed that up. DTL was roughly 50 degrees cooler per puff on this atty.

upload_2018-4-21_12-5-38.png

Actual Temperatures inside a Smoktech TFV8 Big Baby Beast. | E-Cigarette Forum

Rossum

Eleutheromaniac
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 14, 2013
SE PA
Volume in my context was how many mg of ejuice per puff you are consuming.

If you have X% nasties/mg at a given temp, if adequately wicked you will consume more nasties in a quad 4mm coiled atty than you would consume in a single 2.5mm coil. There are some builds at the extreme end of the spectrum that consume a lot of mg of juice per puff.
One might interpret this to imply that a person who huffs 30ml of juice a day is probably getting more bad stuff than someone who puffs 3ml a day. :)

Cas002

ECF Veteran
Feb 4, 2018
Omaha NE
Once the two are mixed together they become one single viscosity not two separate. This is why I assumed some force must separate them before reaching the coil.

Capillary action occurs at the molecular level and is highly dependent on the surface tension of the individual molecules in a mixture and not the mixed fluid. If the fluid constituents have similar properties then the capillary action will likely yield minimal separation. Check out this short article and experiment that explains how it works. Hope that helps.

Cas002

ECF Veteran
Feb 4, 2018
Omaha NE

ScottP

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 9, 2013
Houston, TX
One might interpret this to imply that a person who huffs 30ml of juice a day is probably getting more bad stuff than someone who puffs 3ml a day. :)

I wouldn't say it is even an interpretation, but more of an obvious fact. If heating 1ml of X substance to a specific temp creates Y substance then obviously heating 30X to the same temp would produce 30Y. Thus using higher nic and vaping less total volume of juice is going to be safer than lower nic at a higher volume.

The question then becomes at what total daily ml, at the temp at which you vape, does the production of Y start to exceed the Y you would be getting by smoking your old daily quantity of cigarettes?

CMD-Ky

Highly Esteemed Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 15, 2013
KY
Who cares, I vape what I like and I don't smoke cigarettes. There is a risk, I accept the risk, I attempt to minimize it. Almost whatever I do the risk is reduced as opposed to cigarettes. @mikepetro @Rossum and several others helped me understand what I was doing when vaping because I do not come from a scientific background, I changed some things reducing the risk and I appreciate that.
I actually enjoy the vape more after my changes than I did before. Before I was kept off cigarettes, now I enjoy what I am doing and for that I thank them.
I do not exclusively TC, I use power control and I use a mechanical squonker but I have a better idea what I am doing with all three.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread