New York Post and a deadly vape pen

Status
Not open for further replies.

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA
Smart lithium cells coupled with matching self tests in mods would help on the safety issues. We just don't have intelligent electronics in mechs and not enough in electronic mods as far as self testing a lithium cell for sufficient capacity would go.

Still, safety would be enhanced by monitoring circuitry that would shut down with an error message that read, "Your lithium cell failed self test. Please replace the cell with one rated at XXX watts/amps or higher."

There still would remain the problem of hardware caused shorted cells, but that could be controlled in mechs with a smart chip in the battery cap. But, then it wouldn't be a true mech.

Last edited:

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
Again...

Can't fix stupid.

Electrician you say?
Well he definitely shoulda known better.
As I said earlier in this thread, just because someone says they are an electrician doesn't mean that they understand Ohm's Law and batteries when it pertains to vaping.

Nothing personal to you and your opinion.

Katya

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 23, 2010
SoCal
I think he may have got it from a friend or ordered it online. If he did there is no way for the online stores to know his level of knowledge. He just has to be of age to buy it.

We don't know what happened. Yet.

Texas Man Dies After Exploding E-Cigarette Sends Shrapnel into His Neck

"The pen exploded when Brown tried to inhale from it for the first time, with a piece slicing through his carotid artery, getting lodged in the vital passageway, which helps send blood to the brain.

Some of the details surrounding the faulty vape pen are unclear: Brown's grandmother claims he purchased the pen at the store, while the store's owner claims he made no purchase, he merely inquired for help about using his new pen. According to local CNN affiliate KTVT, the vape store owner called an ambulance for Brown, who was just two weeks shy of his 25th birthday when he was pronounced dead. He was reportedly found on the ground near the trunk of his car, with blood soaked across the interior."

Either way, he apparently was smart enough to ask for help. Too bad he didn't get any.

Last edited:

Opinionated

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 19, 2015
My Mountain
Dude had asthma and goes to a vape shop to buy a cloud machine....

This is the second person in the history of vaping to die.

not a bad safety record for vaping. We don't have to blame the kid. There are way too many things we don't know to even begin concluding this had anything to do with this kid.

As for him vaping because he had asthma, I doubt this tattoo'd up kid confused it with an inhaler.. He may have lied to his grandma (big surprise there if he did) about his reason for vaping, or he may have wanted to take up vaping instead of smoking because it's better than smoking on ones asthma.

We don't have information. And we darn sure don't have to conclude that his grandma is going to either automatically tell the truth or even know the truth...

So, maybe we should mourn the kid and wait to make judgments.

Last edited:

the wind

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Feb 12, 2012
alabama
There still would remain the problem of hardware caused shorted cells, but that could be controlled in mechs with a smart chip in the battery cap. But, then it wouldn't be a true mech.
They do have a thin fuse,i did receive one with one of the kits I bought in 2012.maybe not big enough for todays better batteries and low builds.
Even if they investigate and find the real cause,will never know.

Old Greybeard

ECF Veteran
Aug 31, 2018
Cumbria
www.e-cigarette-forum.com
“No other consumer product places a battery with a known explosion hazard such as this in such close proximity to the human body,”

Journalism like this is truly appalling. I've seen lots of aluminium 18650 torches on Amazon. Do they have venting holes or short circuit regulation? Then you have mobile phones, tablets, laptops, rechargeable power tools etc. And lets not forget lead acid batteries, which can release hydrogen when damaged. Aerosols are under pressure, and what about propane tanks for camping stoves? Lighters? The list of "known explosion hazards" is extensive. In the consumer sphere, batteries are only a small subset of these items. In a commercial, industrial or scientific arena, the risks are even greater. I've had too many close calls, and I take personal safety, and that of those around me, very seriously. To demonise vaping in such a crude way is at best, biased, and worst, irresponsible.

Safety is about mitigating, designing out and managing risk. All I see after incidents such as this is a plethora of moral panic whipped up by the media, rather than sounding the clarion call to inform, educate and enlighten the public concerning best vaping practice. If mod manufacturers can include a battery safety card, why can't the national media similarly inform and educate? As part of the vaping community, I know we will do the right thing. Those with other interests, it appears, cannot or will not. They would prefer to chase a cheap headline, rather than trying to bring comfort, understanding and closure to a family and community in grief.

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA
Ecigs, especially mechs get the blame for malfunctions. It's more of a poorly matched cell issue than an e-cigarette problem. People tend to buy the cheapest cell that will fit and work. As Mooch has shown us, all cells are not created equal.

Now, the lawsuit chasers are onto all lithium cell products, not just ecigs. Where there's a potential settlement check, there's a lawsuit.
https://theproductlawyers.com/led-flashlight-explosion/

Last edited:

Eskie

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 6, 2016
NY
Ecigs, especially mechs get the blame for malfunctions. It's more of a poorly matched cell issue than an e-cigarette problem. People tend to buy the cheapest cell that will fit and work. As Mooch has shown us, all cells are not created equal.

Now, the lawsuit chasers are onto all lithium cell products, not just ecigs. Where there's a potential check, there's a lawsuit.
https://theproductlawyers.com/led-flashlight-explosion/

You also have to consider a poorly matched vaper to device. Handing a novice with no understanding of what they're doing a mech is just as much a problem. Sure, you can't control what someone chooses to buy, and you can't require training, but in a face to face transaction I would have hoped the salesperson had guided this person to a more appropriate mod choice. Even if you don't sell a regulated mod you can still sell an unregulated mod that at least has basic protections on place even though the power is dictated by the battery and the coil's resistance.

AttyPops

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 8, 2010
Hc Svnt Dracones - USA EST
They do have a thin fuse,i did receive one with one of the kits I bought in 2012.maybe not big enough for todays better batteries and low builds.
Even if they investigate and find the real cause,will never know.
Vape-safe fuses. Doesn't work with the current "low ohm" craze...that I know of.

Rockford

ECF Veteran
Nov 21, 2018
BC Canada
I think he may have got it from a friend or ordered it online. If he did there is no way for the online stores to know his level of knowledge. He just has to be of age to buy it.

More speculation, you have no idea where he got it, so quit talking ....!!!

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
Handing a novice with no understanding of what they're doing a mech is just as much a problem. Sure, you can't control what someone chooses to buy, and you can't require training, but in a face to face transaction I would have hoped the salesperson had guided this person to a more appropriate mod choice.
We don't really know yet how or where the victim purchased his "vape pen". It could have been at a vape shop, but it could have been purchased online, too.

Even most online stores have a warning about lithium ion batteries and vape setups at the bottom of the product page and in the owner's manual. But what male reads warnings or owner's manuals?

"How hard could this be? See button. Press button. Suck. Makes vapor. Seems simple enough." -- Novice vaper using a mechanical mod for the first time.

Last edited:

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
More speculation, you're assuming he didn't read the manuals or warnings but you have no idea.
I'm male and I always read warnings and manuals. Quit assuming!
That's true, I am speculating. But if you read the true story that I shared earlier you'd understand my speculation.

And my "stereotype" of males not reading warnings or owners manuals is not fair to all males. Just most of us.

Do you stop and ask for directions when you are lost, too? You're breaking the mold. ;)

AttyPops

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 8, 2010
Hc Svnt Dracones - USA EST
If he purchased it online, there will be a money trail (CC record).
If he paid cash in a shop, maybe a receipt floating around...

Regardless, it will take time to get the details, if we ever do.

Electrician =/= battery safety expert. Or vaping expert, for that matter.

Totally tragic all the way around. Poor guy.

But the asthma thing? Yeah, interesting. What would he have been vaping "for his asthma"? Fishy. I suppose he told granny that, but IDK if it was true. Maybe it was, maybe...not.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread