Nicotine/Cotinine test for employment

Status
Not open for further replies.

Miira

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 15, 2012
Seaside, CA
With the world today, I wonder what else is tested for in these blood tests. I do not remember getting a disclosure of what exact tests are run for these pre-employment screenings and insurance screenings. Is there any law regarding what they can test you for legally. Are laws different in different states?

This is starting to get real murky. OP, I hope you pass that test.

The tests are technically "voluntary", so as long as you sign the paper, they can test for whatever is listed. I think it's bull...., even the insurance excuse(lung cancer is one of the cheaper cancers to die from), but there's a power imbalance and if you desperately need the job...

ScottP

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 9, 2013
Houston, TX
A lot of employers test for nicotine because it costs them more in insurance premiums to insure tobacco and nicotine users. It's simply our lovely capitalist system working at it's most efficient.

By that logic should they also test your cholesterol? Why not deny employment to people that are overweight, have diabetes, or any other condition?

*deleon517*

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 29, 2012
s. florida
I know for a few hospitals that enforce smoking ban's and that you need to be x amount of feet off their property they will test. It's sort of a double edged sword, as the staff wont reek of smoke but at the same time they could be passing up on a great candidate. Hell I remember walking to school and seeing teachers smoking in their parking lot, which was technically the required distance from the building but still on school property. Nothing worst then a football coach with stank coffee/cigarette breath yelling in your face

InTheShade

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 26, 2013
South Texas
By that logic should they also test your cholesterol? Why not deny employment to people that are overweight, have diabetes, or any other condition?

Because, up to now, insurance companies haven't mandated it. When they do, they will.

Really, what other possible reason is there to test prospective employees for nicotine? Some say it's because we need to practice what we preach, if we are in the healthcare industry then we need to lead by example. Others may say it's because they care about their prospective employees and by 'encouraging' them to quit by denying them employment if they are nicotine users, they are helping them achieve a healthier lifestyle.

But we all know the real reason right? It's money. What else could it possibly be?

I don't know for sure, maybe I am just cynical, but when companies make decisions, they are all based on the almighty dollar.

Last edited:

FlamingoTutu

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Aug 5, 2013
In the Mountains

Vicshalls

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 3, 2013
Houston, TX
We have a hospital group here that will not hire you if you use nicotine. It is one of the largest employers in the city. My company may choose to do random tests. Just makes me feel bad. I am all for a drug test, but nicotine? It almost makes me feel like a criminal. Just give it time, if you have diabetes, or HTN or any other thing that might kill you you wont be able to work either. Good luck with your test. Let us know how it goes.

MTFogger

ECF Veteran
Jan 3, 2014
North Carolina
I know for a few hospitals that enforce smoking ban's and that you need to be x amount of feet off their property they will test. It's sort of a double edged sword, as the staff wont reek of smoke but at the same time they could be passing up on a great candidate. Hell I remember walking to school and seeing teachers smoking in their parking lot, which was technically the required distance from the building but still on school property. Nothing worst then a football coach with stank coffee/cigarette breath yelling in your face

I know of a Hospital that will not hire any smokers period. Does not matter if you only smoke off property or not

bluecat

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jun 22, 2012
Cincy
Because, up to now, insurance companies haven't mandated it. When they do, they will.

Really, what other possible reason is there to test prospective employees for nicotine? Some say it's because we need to practice what we preach, if we are in the healthcare industry then we need to lead by example. Others may say it's because they care about their prospective employees and by 'encouraging' them to quit by denying them employment if they are nicotine users, they are helping them achieve a healthier lifestyle.

But we all know the real reason right? It's money. What else could it possibly be?

I don't know for sure, maybe I am just cynical, but when companies make decisions, they are all based on the almighty dollar.

It still just throws the HIPAA laws from 1996 out the window. That goes for any type of testing for the job unless that specific skill is needed to perform. HCR came out and allows states to charge up to 50% more if one smokes.. Only way it can be funded. All about the $s.

To the OP. What is their stance on gum or patches? I have thought about going 0 mg and getting my nicotine from gum or the patch. Not for anything work related but because one goal is to lose the nicotine. Will also make my life insurance cheaper.

Last edited:

zahzoo

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 12, 2013
AR, USA
www.myretrolounge.com
How is discriminating against a smoker for employment even legal?

Simply because there is no constitutional protection afforded for those who choose to consume tobacco products, nicotine or any other substance for that matter.

No one is born a smoker... nor nicotine dependent, addicted or whatever classification you want to apply.

While it's an inconvenience, unjust or may feel unfair to those of us who have chosen to ingest this stuff... We're all guilty of engaging in a habit that no one can honestly dispute as being good for you. And therefore a right to be protected against discrimination.

While I don't subscribe to the train of thought but if you consider certain jobs where the ability to assess risk/harm is a critical skill... 99.9% of smokers demonstrate a poor ability in this area where they failed to make the right choice for their own health despite a wide body of available statistics and proof that smoking is bad for you.

The irony in many cases... especially the health industry is glaring. They'll be the first to deny employment or fire someone with nicotine in the body... yet the don't think twice about the rampant obesity within the whole industry.

doots

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 22, 2009
safe-list.com
Simply because there is no constitutional protection afforded for those who choose to consume tobacco products, nicotine or any other substance for that matter.

No one is born a smoker... nor nicotine dependent, addicted or whatever classification you want to apply.

While it's an inconvenience, unjust or may feel unfair to those of us who have chosen to ingest this stuff... We're all guilty of engaging in a habit that no one can honestly dispute as being good for you. And therefore a right to be protected against discrimination.

While I don't subscribe to the train of thought but if you consider certain jobs where the ability to assess risk/harm is a critical skill... 99.9% of smokers demonstrate a poor ability in this area where they failed to make the right choice for their own health despite a wide body of available statistics and proof that smoking is bad for you.

The irony in many cases... especially the health industry is glaring. They'll be the first to deny employment or fire someone with nicotine in the body... yet the don't think twice about the rampant obesity within the whole industry.

yet the don't think twice about the rampant obesity within the whole industry. (that is their next agenda to jump on I can assure you)

zahzoo

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 12, 2013
AR, USA
www.myretrolounge.com
yet the don't think twice about the rampant obesity within the whole industry. (that is their next agenda to jump on I can assure you)

Well I hope they start in-house... I recently ate lunch in a hospital cafeteria where my granddaughter was born. It was an eye-opener that a good majority of the staff looked far unhealthier than the patients they were treating.

mkbilbo

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 4, 2013
Austin, TX
www.thesmilingwolf.com
Why would they test for our deny a job for nicotine use? They may as well test for caffeine too.

It's the cost of health that's driving that one. Especially companies that self-insure. I can kinda understand it because smokers have health issues and can be expensive. On the other hand, where's the line? Body fat tests? BMI scoring? Mandated gym membership? Exercise yards for the slaves...erm, employees?

And what about alcohol? It runs a close second to smoking in health problems. Will the CEO be ...... in a cup any time soon? My guess is "no". And how about those morbidly obese executives? How much is their health costing the company? HMMMM?

But I'm hijacking the thread aren't I? I'll get off my soap box.

Only thing I can think of is try to explain it to them. But I'm kind of doubtful they'd listen. Unemployment is coming down but is still high enough they can be picky. Even nit picky. Even arbitrary and capricious. It's worth arming yourself with every bit of info (CASAA has tons) and try to make a case if they balk.

DC2

Tootie Puffer
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 21, 2009
San Diego
I can and will honestly dispute that.

Nicotine improves memory, concentration, and attention, even in non-smokers.
This is well documented.

And it looks like it has great promise to help prevent Alzheimers disease and Parkinsons disease.

Reactions: kaitka
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread