Older Folks and Vaping Front Porch - Part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Your concerns seem justified. Have you expressed them to your friend? It's possible that lower nicotine makes the juice taste better to him.

It's also possible that he thinks he's not really quitting if he still consumes nicotine. It's a common mistake to think that way. If that's the case, maybe you could just inform him that nicotine is not a carcinogen and that it has benefits for many people.

Yes I think you got it right. I have already tried to express those concerns to my friend, but I don't want to sound too much like I'm preaching.

But thank you very much for your suggestion : I had not considered too much the nicotine aspect, and the fact that my friend might be thinking that he is not really quitting because of his consumption of nicotine. Actually, I had understood that he thought the he was not really quitting because he was still addicted. I will discuss this with him. I'd like to figure out if he wants to quit the addiction or if he wants to quit the nicotine. I know that he often mentions that his long term goal after quitting smoking is to also quit vaping. However the problem is that he hasn't yet completely stopped smoking.

As for myself, I don't mind being addicted as long as I can manage my addiction. We can be addicted to many things, to music, to food, etc. It's a problem to be addicted only if it consumes one's life or if it is harmful. I'm just so glad that the health effects of nicotine absorbed by vaping are considered benign compared to the health effects of smoking. And also I now prefer vaping anyway, to the point that I wonder what I would do if I would ever learn that vaping is actually more harmful than smoking. I'm not sure that I would be glad or willing to switch back to smoking!

DancingHeretik

Dancing in the Chaos
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 20, 2011
San Antonio, TX
I agree and disagree.

I say let him give it a try. Everyone is different. But, of course, let him know your concerns also.

Perhaps, when you have a talk with him about your concerns, also ask if there's any other reason for the change to lower nic. For all you know, he hasn't quite made the switch completely because the higher nic is a little too harsh. Or something else completely.

IOW, don't make assumptions. Advise, but listen.

bigbells

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Mar 3, 2013
60 mi east of Raleigh NC
soledoubtshow.com
Yes I think you got it right. I have already tried to express those concerns to my friend, but I don't want to sound too much like I'm preaching.
Yep, preaching has the opposite of the intended effect on many of us. You might have to be real subtle in conveying information to your friend. He suffers from an enviable "curse": he has already exceeded the life expectancy for a person who smoked 2 packs a day for 65 years.
But thank you very much for your suggestion : I had not considered too much the nicotine aspect, and the fact that my friend might be thinking that he is not really quitting because of his consumption of nicotine. Actually, I had understood that he thought the he was not really quitting because he was still addicted. I will discuss this with him. I'd like to figure out if he wants to quit the addiction or if he wants to quit the nicotine. I know that he often mentions that his long term goal after quitting smoking is to also quit vaping. However the problem is that he hasn't yet completely stopped smoking.
For your own peace of mind, consider (as I'm sure you already are) how many cigarettes your friend is NOT smoking, and give yourself a pat on the back for introducing him to vaping!
As for myself, I don't mind being addicted as long as I can manage my addiction. We can be addicted to many things, to music, to food, etc. It's a problem to be addicted only if it consumes one's life or if it is harmful. I'm just so glad that the health effects of nicotine absorbed by vaping are considered benign compared to the health effects of smoking. And also I now prefer vaping anyway, to the point that I wonder what I would do if I would ever learn that vaping is actually more harmful than smoking. I'm not sure that I would be glad or willing to switch back to smoking!
I've been vaping-only for over a year and a half. A fair number in this group have been vaping for 2 to 4 times as long. The majority have reduced their nicotine usage but some like myself have no intention of doing so. I do not care that I'm addicted to nicotine and I mix my own e-juice with the same 24mg/ml that I started with.

By the way, DIY e-juice might be another subject that you could discuss with your friend. My juice costs me less than 5 cents per ml to make and is better than any of the many store-bought juices that I've tried.

Persuade your friend, if you can, to get back-up equipment for EVERYTHING. There's nothing so discouraging as being without back-ups if a component fails. I was unfamiliar with the set-up that your friend purchased but Googled it. Seems like a decent choice but if you'll pardon my opinion there are better choices for less money. I realize that it is difficult to explore them for a person who does not make online purchases.

Here's a link that I stole from DancingHeretik's signature line above that puts together in one place a LOT of health-related information about vaping:
The Ultimate List of E-Cig Studies: Are E-Cigs Actually Safe? *Updated 2/16/14 - onVaping

Last but not least, there are a bevy of people here who can help you spend your vaping dollar!

DavidOck

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 3, 2013
Halfway to Paradise, WA
Where do I find GOOD ego batterys online? My wife will not use anything but and she keeps buying them at the local B&M. She has had two die on her in the last week. She probably bought them on the same day. Anyway, I use mech mods and a ProVari so I haven't checked them out online and don't know good from bad on them. I'm just looking for a good starting point. I have to do something quick, before she buys more cheep knock offs that look pretty but don't last a hoot.
Thanks!

Um, you don't say what size she likes, but here's a good price on the 1600 Spinner 2:

Vision Spinner 2 1600mah - 101 Vape

holimakaru

ECF Veteran
Oct 17, 2013
Honolulu, HI, USA
Where do I find GOOD ego batterys online? My wife will not use anything but and she keeps buying them at the local B&M. She has had two die on her in the last week. She probably bought them on the same day. Anyway, I use mech mods and a ProVari so I haven't checked them out online and don't know good from bad on them. I'm just looking for a good starting point. I have to do something quick, before she buys more cheep knock offs that look pretty but don't last a hoot.
Thanks!
I copied this from Racehorse on http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/fo...8-ego-twist-type-smaller-than-3-inches-2.html
Ego battery sizes

Micro ego from Smoketech (350mAH) Length 55mm or 2.16"
Micro EGO Batteries

Ego C upgrade Battery:
1000mAh: Length 3.97" (100mm)
650mAh: Length 2.95" (75mm)

Ego Twist battery: (diameter 14mm)
1000mAH: Length: 4.75"
900 mAH: Length: 4.35"
650mAh: Length: 3.85"

Vision Spinner battery: approx 16mm diameter
1300mAH: Length 4.45"
900 mAH: Length 4.25"
650 mAH: Length 93mm (3.66") D 16
450 VV Length 78mm (3.1")
GotVapes.com, E-cigarette Supplies - Atomizers Cartomizers Mods Juice and more

Other:
Winder 900 Length 110mm / Diameter 14mm
Ego 900 110mm 14.0D

As you can see the red bolded ones, the micro is not VV but the Spinner 450 is. The Ego C Upgrade battery is also less than 3", but it is also not VV, well, not totally.....it has 2 settings, one for regulated and one for unregulated, vicki at cignot has them.

garyoa1

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
dibunam, lemmee say this about that.

As someone who smoked 3 PaD for 7,429.6 years... I never wanted to quit. So I didn't.

I just found something that tastes better. That's the key. He just hasn't hit the right juice yet. If he did, he'd never even consider a smoke. Period.

I never even wanted to try an ecig. Got stuck with an ego. So shopped for juice. Got lucky and never ever wanted a real smoke again.

And yes, did try but even the first time after vaping I tried one... it was awful. The ego I had tasted better. So essentially, I never quit. Just changed brands. :)

And even now when an old friend finds out I "quit" and says... OMG! YOU of all people quit? I don't beleive it!!!! I think in the back of my mind... uh, no. I only changed brands. When someone asks if I smoke... I cannot get myself to say no. I say I vape. THEY say I quit. (even doctors) Me? I'm puffin' away and lovin the new found taste.

PapaSloth

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 16, 2014
Portland, OR, USA
As someone who smoked 3 PaD for 7,429.6 years... I never wanted to quit. So I didn't.

I just found something that tastes better.

This. As far as the experience goes, it's the same experience. If I couldn't vape anymore I'd be back to smoking within a day, because I never really stopped smoking. I just found a new brand that tastes better and is better for me. It also makes it much easier to control exactly how much nic I'm inhaling with each puff, which is very handy when I want to taper back a little without losing the feeling of satisfaction I get from vaping. If I ever hit 0nic, which I don't really plan on ever doing, then I'll consider myself a non-smoker, even though I'll probably vape for the taste and the mouth-hand part.

PapaSloth

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 16, 2014
Portland, OR, USA
Fer all da rebuilders, COIL WINDING TOOL fer $3.05 from FT.
50683e3a73dd51cc27297a4e7ce80d35.600x.jpg
Some of us are trying to break even here! Only $3.05... Sigh.

bigbells

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Mar 3, 2013
60 mi east of Raleigh NC
soledoubtshow.com
dibunam, lemmee say this about that.

I just found something that tastes better. That's the key. He just hasn't hit the right juice yet. If he did, he'd never even consider a smoke. Period.

I never even wanted to try an ecig. Got stuck with an ego. So shopped for juice. Got lucky and never ever wanted a real smoke again.

And yes, did try but even the first time after vaping I tried one... it was awful. The ego I had tasted better. So essentially, I never quit. Just changed brands. :)

And even now when an old friend finds out I "quit" and says... OMG! YOU of all people quit? I don't beleive it!!!! I think in the back of my mind... uh, no. I only changed brands. When someone asks if I smoke... I cannot get myself to say no. I say I vape. THEY say I quit. (even doctors) Me? I'm puffin' away and lovin the new found taste.

This. As far as the experience goes, it's the same experience. If I couldn't vape anymore I'd be back to smoking within a day, because I never really stopped smoking. I just found a new brand that tastes better and is better for me. It also makes it much easier to control exactly how much nic I'm inhaling with each puff, which is very handy when I want to taper back a little without losing the feeling of satisfaction I get from vaping. If I ever hit 0nic, which I don't really plan on ever doing, then I'll consider myself a non-smoker, even though I'll probably vape for the taste and the mouth-hand part.
I also would not have given up the cigarettes unless vaping was BETTER.

It's my opinion, though, that the technique of vaping is different enough from the technique of smoking that there is a learning curve. To get more vapor you pull longer and slower, not harder. That's a big difference that took some getting used to, and it was the reason that my first attempt to switch lasted less than 24 hours. During the next week I gave a lot of thought to vaping technique as I smoked my cigarettes. Then when I picked my Apollo 650mah Ego-style fixed voltage batteries with C4 clearomizers again, I had practiced the technique so much in my mind that I was able to get a significantly more satisfying vape experience. I'd had my last cigarette (except for the ones in those occasional dreams where the gummint's out to get me).

I've had the below conversation at least a dozen times.
Random person: What's that?
Me: Fancy electronic cigarette.
Rp: So you're smoking that instead of regular cigarettes?
Me: No. It's not smoke. It's vapor.
Rp: Well, yeah but it's really the same, right? You're still getting nicotine and all that other bad stuff, right?
Me: My doctor has always said I should quit smoking. He hasn't said even one time that I should quit nicotine. I'm still getting nicotine, but nicotine is not a carcinogen and is not one of the thousands of dangerous ingredients that are in cigarette smoke but are NOT in vapor. :vapor:

Last edited:

FlamingoTutu

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Aug 5, 2013
In the Mountains
Not if you have a crowbar and neighbors who are away on vacation. They have lots of heavy gauge copper wire you can salvage!

Awesome, can I help? My parents used to have what was originally and old farmhouse built before electricity. There was some mighty fine copper wiring put in there when electricity came around. Should have looked for the spare wiring.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread