PG is bad for people with kidney disorders (I can no longer vape in the house)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vaposue

ECF Veteran
Feb 11, 2010
Orlando
Prostreet, I can understand your fear right now. I have worked with dialysis patients for over 16 years. I believe Katattack is correct. Inhalation is not the problem. It's the intravenous delivery of the PG. Dyes used in medical testing (heart caths for example) are toxic to the kidneys and sometimes cause the kidneys to shut down. Talk to your wife's nephrologist about your use of PV. He/she should be able to provide you with the correct information and set your mind at ease with regards to your vaping. Please send me a pm if you want to ask me anything about kidney disease or your wife's issues. I will gladly help you out any way I can. I am a renal social worker. I'll be thinking about you.

taz3cat

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Nov 2, 2008
Port Arthur, Texas
I highly recommend that you read the labels on all OTC medications such as Tylenol, read the ingredients in your Prescription medications, Cake mixes, ice cream, baby teething products, nasal spays, eye drops and body lotions/shampoos/conditions. The FDA approves the use of PG in some form or another they used Glycol and Glycerol to fool us. The FDA still tells us they don't know how safe it is DUH. In 1985 or about that time is was guesstimated that we consumed about 35ml of PG per person in this country. The FDA still calls it antifreeze, what a farce. There are by-product that have to be filtered out of PG when they make it and the FDA just made the rules stricter on this after they did their report on E-cigarettes.

AlexTM

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Dec 7, 2009
Cologne, Germany
www.dampfzeichen.de
PG is not Glycerol (VG is), and only one of many Glycols. And actually, PG itself is an anti-freeze. So is salt, for that matter.
And PG can and does often contain Ethylenglycol, which happens to be that stuff that people have in mind when they think of poisonous anti-freeze. The FDA did lower the amount of Ethylenglycol that can be contained in PG (and some other chemicals), but to the best of my knowledge, that had nothing whatsoever to do with vaping. It's just that one is fairly harmless, and the other is poisonous.

I am not exactly fond of the FDA, and even less fond of their handling of PVs. But ethylenglycol and diethylenglycol are poisonous.

HaploVoss

ECF Veteran
Aug 13, 2009
Rogersville, MO - USA
As others have already stated. Go with your gut, and definitely discuss it with the doctor.

Just for something you can grab onto though so you aren't pulling your hair out ... I moved to Kansas City, MO for a little over a year - job relocation. I had just started vaping not long before this also.

About 4 months there and my ankles started to swell a bit.. then began to look 'bruised' is the only way I can describe it. They finally started to hurt as well. Nothing I did seemed to help. I finally became concerned and went to a nephrologist after a general physician could come up with nothing.

He found my levels to be slightly high. I told him about the vaping. Showed him my e-cig, told him how much I used it per day (and fudged on the HIGH side just in case)... I told him that it was the only thing I could think of that was different in the last few months besides moving up there.

Ends up - I'm a country boy. I am spoiled to fresh air and fresh well water. I moved into a high industrial area near the university I was working at, and my system balked in a nutshell. He told me I could get on an array of meds, cleansing diets, etc. - or go home.

I talked it over with the boss and they relocated me to Alabama - and I got a place out in the country. Problem resolved itself in about 3 weeks!!

Obviously - it sounds like your wife has other issues involved, but my point is that *I* was the one vaping... and I consider myself a pretty heavy vaper. Have been for some time now too. I don't think you are responsible for 'second hand vapor' kidney failure.

Basically, always err on the side of caution in situations like this sure, but please don't punish yourself on this. I honestly don't think you are to blame. At least wait until you guys have gone through the rounds with the doctors eh? :)

Take care and all the best to you and your wife!!
- Hap

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread