propylene glycol, and glycerine...... see this, if you havent already.

Status
Not open for further replies.

V4Lis4me

ECF Veteran
Dec 18, 2009
FLORIDA
So, I am aware that many of you may have seen this already.... I am also aware that many have not. Either way, there will be some discussion within this post... I am sure of that!
The links that follow are the MSDS (material safety data sheets) sheets for propylene glycol and glycerine. Whether they are GRAS (generally recognized as safe) or not, these are detailed safety standards for the materials at hand. All of us in here come into mass exposures of these materials through vaping.
I know that this post will lead to some heated discussions, but the links are pure facts. Make an informed descion from there.

propylene glycol....
http://www.sciencelab.com/xMSDS-Propylene_glycol-9927239
*note section 3, page 1.....substance may be toxic to central nervous system (CNS).
Repeated or prolonged exposure to the substance can produce target organs damage.
*note section 11, page 4..... may cause damage to the following organs: central nervous system
*note top of page 5... specifically ingestion, inhalation, and CHRONIC EXPOSURE....
Ingestion: It may cause gastrointestinal tract irritation. It may affect behavior/central nervous system(CNS
depression, general anesthetic, convulsions, seizures, somnolence, stupor, muscle contraction or spasticity,
coma), brain (changes in surface EEG), metabolism, blood (intravascular hemolysis, white blood cells - decreased
neutrophil function), respiration (respiratory stimulation, chronic pulmonary edema, cyanosis), cardiovascular
system(hypotension, bradycardia, arrhythmias, cardiac arrest), endocrine system (hypoglycemia), urinary system
(kidneys), and liver.
Chronic Potential Health Effects:
Skin: Prolonged or repeated skin contact may cause allergic contact dermatitis.
Ingestion: Prolonged or repeated ingestion may cause hyperglycemia and may affect behavior/CNS (symptoms
similar to that of acute ingestion).
Inhalation: Prolonged or repeated inhalation may affect behavior/CNS (with symptoms similar to ingestion), and
spleen
glycerine.....
http://www.sciencelab.com/xMSDS-Glycerin-9927350
*note section 3, page 1..... The substance may be toxic to kidneys.
Repeated or prolonged exposure to the substance can produce target organs damage.
*note section 11, page 5..... Chronic Effects on Humans: May cause damage to the following organs: kidneys.
*note section 11, page 5..... Chronic Potential Health Effects:
Ingestion: Prolonged or repeated ingestion may affect the blood(hemolysis, changes in white blood cell count),
endocrine system (changes in adrenal weight), respiratory system, and may cause kidney injury.

Well, there it is......
Please, as I vape all the time, I welcome any thoughts on this.....
It has to be shown.

5cardstud

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 1, 2010
Wash
I was looking in the cupboard the other day for stuff with propylene glycol in it and one thing I found was McCormick flavoring. So for one all the people who have eaten flavored cookies, cakes, and candy have been poisoned with the stuff. Its the same with petroleum products, gas, oil etc. but the plastic containers your food is stored in are also made from petroleum products. Same kind of deal. However I try to use vg anyway.

DWTaylor

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Jan 12, 2010
South Dakota
datsvaper.com
I can understand where your coming with this. This is something that should be looked at in long term use.
As well look at all the things that we take in everyday that have the same thing in it.
I am sorry but I am not too worried. I like a cookie or 2 a day. they have it in ice cream cones.
So if it bothers you I am going to suggest ya use something else.

V4Lis4me

ECF Veteran
Dec 18, 2009
FLORIDA
I was looking in the cupboard the other day for stuff with propylene glycol in it and one thing I found was McCormick flavoring. So for one all the people who have eaten flavored cookies, cakes, and candy have been poisoned with the stuff. Its the same with petroleum products, gas, oil etc. but the plastic containers your food is stored in are also made from petroleum products. Same kind of deal. However I try to use vg anyway.

those are very small quantities....
vaping entails a direct consumption of the pure product.

V4Lis4me

ECF Veteran
Dec 18, 2009
FLORIDA
If you chackout an MSDS on vegatable glycerin such as Cargil you will get a different read than the above

from the info i have come across, glycerin.... no matter what its source is vegetable or other, is still the same end product. Some people just believe that the vegetable origin is "more healthy"

if anyone has other info, please inform me.

kristin

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Aug 16, 2009
CASAA - Wisconsin
casaa.org
I've read these many, many times.

factoid: They use propylene glycol in asthma inhalers. People who have sensitive lungs use those inhalers. If it was so bad to inhale, wouldn't there have been massive recalls of those inhalers?

"PG has been used as the aqueous-based chemical additive in asthma inhalers and nebulizers since the 1950s, with no serious side effects known. PG, because of its water-retaining properties, is the compound of choice for delivering atomized medication. It is also a common diluent for injectable medications, constituting 40 percent of the intravenous form of Phenytoin, an anti-seizure drug." http://www.ehow.com/about_5499611_danger-inhaling-propylene-glycol.html

MSDS Sheets are usually worst case scenarios, with excessive exposure or people with certain conditions that make them higher risk. They are CYA for companies - same as those disclaimers on drug commercials. They have to list every known reaction that anyone ever had as a possible risk, even if it wouldn't even affect 99% of the people.

Health Canada cited PG simply as a "known irritant" in it's attempt to scare people. Sure, it's on the MSDS as a possible irritant - to people who have never smoked a pack a day of toxic tobacco. We were sucking in ammonia and arsenic. I highly doubt it'd be an irritant to most former smokers! lol

Last edited:

kristin

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Aug 16, 2009
CASAA - Wisconsin
casaa.org
Kristin just about explained it all when she correctly cites the use of PG as the vehical in Asthma Inhalers as well as NRT"s such as Nicotrol all having spent millions of dollars on studies and obtaining FDA approval.

So if you are looking for the ultimate stamp of approval---PG has it by the FDA.

Sun
And I just found a site (put a link in my last post) that says it's been used in inhalers since the 50's. I didn't realize it's been used in inhalers for so long!

Although, I thought that Nicotrol inhalers had a solid of some kind in it - or is it just super thick PG? I know one member tried taking one apart to see if it had liquid and he said it was a solid.

Sun Vaporer

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Jan 2, 2009
Florida
And I just found a site (put a link in my last post) that says it's been used in inhalers since the 50's. I didn't realize it's been used in inhalers for so long!

Although, I thought that Nicotrol inhalers had a solid of some kind in it - or is it just super thick PG? I know one member tried taking one apart to see if it had liquid and he said it was a solid.

Kristin--Nicotrol mixes the nicotine with the PG just like e-liquid. the e-liquid needs a suspention and PG is what actually comes out.

Sun

V4Lis4me

ECF Veteran
Dec 18, 2009
FLORIDA
OK,

because I was aware where this post would head, I must play devil's advocate..... This will bring some great information for all, and hopefully alleviate my qualms in the process as well.

My girlfriend, who is a severe asthmatic, uses inhalers on a regular basis. She also uses a nebulizer for severe cases. As well as a slew of other pills (prednisone, and many..many more) on a daily basis.
I have read the ingredients lists on all inhaled meds of hers, and none list propylene glycol as an ingredient. Most use a saline solution that is balanced for Ph, with the nebulizer formula included (albuterol).
What inhalers do use PG as a base?

Also for drug therapys, IV bases mainly in question....
I will cite this finding:
Nature Clinical Practice Nephrology | Acute kidney injury, hyperosmolality and metabolic acidosis associated with lorazepam | Article

please read the whole article for the complete information.
cited directly from source above:
Discussion of diagnosis

Propylene glycol (1,2-propanediol) is commonly used as a solvent in intravenous, oral and topical pharmaceutical preparations (Table 2).1, 2, 3, 4, 5 The agent is generally considered safe, but large doses can be toxic, particularly if they are given over a short period of time. Of the commonly used intravenous drugs containing propylene glycol, intravenous lorazepam contains the largest proportion of the compound.

as well as...
Accumulation of propylene glycol leads to increased osmolality and lactic acidosis, which in turn causes hyperosmolality and high anion gap metabolic acidosis. Studies have shown accumulation of propylene glycol in patients who have received a high-dose lorazepam infusion for as little as 48 hours.2 AKI in propylene glycol toxicity has been suggested to be caused by proximal tubular injury.6

and...
The World Health Organization recommends a maximum dietary propylene glycol intake of 25 mg/kg/day (i.e. 1,875 mg/day for a 75 kg male).17 The patient described here received an average intravenous propylene glycol dose of 212 g/day (2,827 mg/kg/day).
Clinical presentation of propylene glycol toxicity

Classically, propylene glycol toxicity results in lactic acidosis, hyperosmolality and renal failure.1, 2, 3, 4, 17, 18 Clinical presentation of this condition varies widely, however, sometimes even mimicking sepsis or systemic inflammatory response syndrome (Box 1).1 If unrecognized and left untreated, the toxic effects of propylene glycol can progress from metabolic acidosis to fatal multiorgan failure.

As noted in the top paragraph (highlighted) the PT was recieving very large doses of PG. Athough, this in my mind does show concern as well.

As I have stated previously, please allow an open conversation of this topic. All views are more than welcome.

kristin

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Aug 16, 2009
CASAA - Wisconsin
casaa.org

V4Lis4me

ECF Veteran
Dec 18, 2009
FLORIDA
directly from phizer....
about the nicotrol inhaler....
http://media.pfizer.com/files/products/uspi_nicotrol.pdf

quoted....
Each 10 mL spray bottle contains 100 mg nicotine (10 mg/mL) in an inactive vehicle
containing disodium phosphate, sodium dihydrogen phosphate, citric acid,
methylparaben, propylparaben, edetate disodium, sodium chloride, polysorbate 80, aroma
and water. The solution is isotonic with a pH of 7. It contains no chlorofluorocarbons

the nicotrol inhaler does not contain propylene glycol.

V4Lis4me

ECF Veteran
Dec 18, 2009
FLORIDA

V4Lis4me

ECF Veteran
Dec 18, 2009
FLORIDA
I've read these many, many times.

factoid: They use propylene glycol in asthma inhalers. People who have sensitive lungs use those inhalers. If it was so bad to inhale, wouldn't there have been massive recalls of those inhalers?

MSDS Sheets are usually worst case scenarios, with excessive exposure or people with certain conditions that make them higher risk. They are CYA for companies - same as those disclaimers on drug commercials. They have to list every known reaction that anyone ever had as a possible risk, even if it wouldn't even affect 99% of the people.

Health Canada cited PG simply as a "known irritant" in it's attempt to scare people. Sure, it's on the MSDS as a possible irritant - to people who have never smoked a pack a day of toxic tobacco. We were sucking in ammonia and arsenic. I highly doubt it'd be an irritant to most former smokers! lol

Not trying to be outright mean here, but ehow is not a reputable source of information.

So on the asthma inhaler claim, I have personally checked all of my girlfriends inhalation solutions..... none of which list proplyene glycol as an ingredient.

Only in syrup or oral administrations did i find propylene glycol in the main albuterol delivery system (which she is not prescribed, she only has inhalation formulas)... This is direct from the credible source:
Albuterol Syrup Official FDA information, side effects and uses.

Albuterol sulfate has a molecular weight of 576.70 and the molecular formula is (C13H21NO3)2•H2SO4. Albuterol sulfate is a white crystalline powder, soluble in water and slightly soluble in ethanol.
The World Health Organization recommended name for albuterol base is salbutamol.
Albuterol Sulfate Syrup for oral administration contains 2 mg of albuterol as 2.4 mg of albuterol sulfate in each teaspoonful (5 mL). Albuterol Sulfate Syrup also contains the inactive ingredients citric acid, FD&C Yellow #6, flavor enhancer, hypromellose, propylene glycol, purified water, sodium benzoate, sodium citrate, strawberry flavor. Sodium hydroxide may be added to adjust pH.

My girlfriends inhalation ingredients of the same drug list this:

INGREDENTS:
Active: Albuterol (0.83 mg/ml) as the sulfate

Inactive: Sodium chloride, edetate disodium, sodium citrate, hydrochloric acid (to adjust pH between 3 and 5), and purified water.

*note how the inhalation is now devoid of the propylene glycol that is in question, for the same drug.

V4Lis4me

ECF Veteran
Dec 18, 2009
FLORIDA
It is in one of their forumlations, as I spoke with them on the phone some time back. Again, I am not concerned about it---but you continue on if you are.

Sun

The purpose for this post was not to argue with an individual personally, but simply to have an in depth discussion of the chemicals we use on a daily basis. I would love information as to the formulation that you speak of personally, as this would help me with my qualms of the ecigs that I use daily. If you can provide a link for the formulation that you speak of, I would greatly appreciate it.

I feel that all should have rebuttals to this debate, and substantiated claims are the basis for a great wealth of knowledge. I am only seeking to enlighten myself and others, not to harm individuals in the process. I am playing the dark role here, but that will only entice others to dig deeper into the depths to seek the knowledge that may ease the minds of many... as well as myself. It is all in the pursuit of knowledge, specifically on our body chemistrys and specific reactions to foreign stimulii.

Sun Vaporer

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Jan 2, 2009
Florida
The purpose for this post was not to argue with an individual personally, but simply to have an in depth discussion of the chemicals we use on a daily basis. I would love information as to the formulation that you speak of personally, as this would help me with my qualms of the ecigs that I use daily. If you can provide a link for the formulation that you speak of, I would greatly appreciate it.

I feel that all should have rebuttals to this debate, and substantiated claims are the basis for a great wealth of knowledge. I am only seeking to enlighten myself and others, not to harm individuals in the process. I am playing the dark role here, but that will only entice others to dig deeper into the depths to seek the knowledge that may ease the minds of many... as well as myself. It is all in the pursuit of knowledge, specifically on our body chemistrys and specific reactions to foreign stimulii.

Excellent--you play dark and digg deep---What we are saying is that this is new to you and you should satisfy yourself and have an open discussion about it until you feel you have come upon the right information that makes you feel comfortable. And if you can not find it with others---then do not use the e-cig--use some other alternative, quit, or go back to analogs. A couple of people tried to chime in and gave their opinions.

If you are looking for anything more then opinions you are not going to find them as extensive and long term testing have not been done to any great degree.

Sun

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread