Provari V3

Status
Not open for further replies.

dr g

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Mar 12, 2012
Paradise
They have a patent on how their chip controls VW.... VW devices have been around for a long time before evolv or ecigs & I seriously doubt that provape chip is a copy in any way of the evolv chip so their patent would not apply in any way.

Believe it or not pretty much nothing else has VW like ecigs, and Evolv is definitely the inventor of that. And their patent covers all ecig VW, not just their implementation. The thing about ecig VW is it's not just having a watt number on a control, it's control of actual wattage (power). Other things may have wattage numbers on a given control, but those do no sensing of actual power.

Preeeeeetty sure provape has officially stated that they were not working with evolv. Can't recall if that was a Facebook post or an interview.

Then again not sure if "working with" include some kinda licensing deal.

Also not sure if evolv's patent on VW refers specifically to a mode of control/implementation, or just VW in general.

Effectively VW in general. Licensing a patent isn't necessarily working with, apple and samsung own patents both companies use in their devices, for example and neither considers that working with the other. anyone who uses a given patented technology has to license but their effort is entirely theirs.

http://www.google.com/patents/US20130104916

Last edited:

AnsonJames

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 23, 2011
IRELAND
I know brand loyalty has value, but I'm surprised to see so many people defending the new provari, especially when considering their likely price-point range.. If this was a new device being announced for any other company, I'm pretty sure they'd be laughed out of the room. I'm pretty noob, but I know the point is that it isn't just another company and quality blah blah quality (and I have used provaris before)... but my question is: is there something special about the provari chip or is it the rest of the hardware? Could/should provari focus on the mods and use a 3rd party chip (or modifying said chips)? ...or am I missing something? Because it kind of feels like if apple was to sell the ipad as a competitor w/ laptops, but charged twice as much... quality or not.

The Provari is ultra reliable, built like a tank and is super accurate.
It's also made in the USA.

Look at this video, it should give you an idea as to why the Provari is so popular;

Rossum

Eleutheromaniac
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 14, 2013
SE PA
Believe it or not pretty much nothing else has VW like ecigs, and Evolv is definitely the inventor of that.
And their patent covers all ecig VW, not just their implementation. The thing about ecig VW is it's not just having a watt number on a control, it's control of actual wattage (power). Other things may have wattage numbers on a given control, but those do no sensing of actual power. Effectively VW in general.
Again, I was doing that in the mid 1990s for industrial furnaces, with actual sensing of the power in real-time (720 times per second), with a 4-20mA input controlling the power level, with full short circuit protection on the output, and with power factor correction on the AC input. This wasn't tens of watts either, it was tens to hundreds of kilowatts. VW in real time was desirable in that application due to tremendous resistance change (as much as 8:1) of the heating elements (molybdenum) between ambient and operating temperature. It also turned out to be handy in other applications where the resistance of the elements also changed with age (silicon carbide).

So, no Evolv did not invent VW. I rather doubt I invented it either.

What Evolv probably did invent is a VW electronic cigarette. But VW in general? No way.

BTW, I'm not dissing Evolv. I love my DNA mods.

dr g

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Mar 12, 2012
Paradise
Again, I was doing that in the mid 1990s for industrial furnaces, with actual sensing of the power in real-time (720 times per second), with a 4-20mA input controlling the power level, with full short circuit protection on the output, and with power factor correction on the AC input. This wasn't tens of watts either, it was tens to hundreds of kilowatts. VW in real time was desirable in that application due to tremendous resistance change (as much as 8:1) of the heating elements (molybdenum) between ambient and operating temperature. It also turned out to be handy in other applications where the resistance of the elements also changed with age (silicon carbide).

So, no Evolv did not invent VW. I rather doubt I invented it either.

What Evolv probably did invent is a VW electronic cigarette. But VW in general? No way.

BTW, I'm not dissing Evolv. I love my DNA mods.

I saw you posted that earlier, did you have a patent reference? I saw this one too in my research for that statement: Patent US6603795 - Power control system for AC electric arc furnace - Google Patents
My statement was "pretty much nothing," not nothing, with those in mind, pretty much no consumer technology uses actual power control.

However as the patent was granted without any furnace control patents as references, the examiner felt the technology was not close enough, apparently. Perhaps it's the all-DC nature of it, or the specific application, I'm not sure. Was your furnace element control actual power control, or was it power regulation? Oddly enough Evolv's patent does not seem to cover power regulation (which may be what actually makes it applicable to all ecig VW).

Last edited:

dr g

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Mar 12, 2012
Paradise
The Evolv patent seems pretty specific regarding how the power is controlled. But there are many ways to skin a cat. My guess is that ProVape uses a control circuit that basically does the same job, but in a somewhat different manner.

Actually, it is not specific at all. It covers all implementations in current use that I know of, and I can't think of a way you'd get around it.

Last edited:

Rossum

Eleutheromaniac
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 14, 2013
SE PA
I saw you posted that earlier, did you have a patent reference?
No, we didn't patent VW for furnace power supplies back then. We didn't think VW was patentable 'cause it was too obvious. However, there was another aspect how we did what we did that we thought was patentable because wasn't obvious. In fact, pretty much everyone that saw how we were doing what we were doing said: "That can't possibly work!" Well, it did work, and there was a trick to it that we probably could have patented, but we didn't pursue patenting it due to limited resources.

Was your furnace element control actual power control, or was it power regulation?
It was a power supply. You could command it from 0% to 100% of rated power using an industry-standard 4-20mA input and it would produce that power level at the heating elements inside the furnace, taking the resistance of the elements into account in real-time. Conceptually, it wasn't much different than what's described in Evolv's patent. I still have the original schematics and source code, and I think there are still a few of those power supplies in service almost 20 years later.

FWIW, VW wasn't really part of the original design criteria; our primary objective was to build a power-factor corrected power supply to replace the variable-reactance transformers or phase-controlled SCRs that were in common use at the time. Both have horrible power factors when they're not full on, and utility companies were starting to penalize industrial customers who presented large reactive loads onto their grids. But another part of the design criteria was that you had to be able to drop a crow-bar (literally) across the output of the supply without damaging it, and in fact, without blowing fuses or tripping breakers. To do that, I had to monitor current in real time. At that point, I thought: Hey, it wouldn't it be easier for the customer to dial in his temperature-control PID loop if we control actual power instead of voltage or current (because the resistance of the elements changed dramatically with their temperature), so that's what we did.

dr g

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Mar 12, 2012
Paradise
No, we didn't patent VW for furnace power supplies back then. We didn't think VW was patentable 'cause it was too obvious. However, there was another aspect how we did what we did that we thought was patentable because wasn't obvious. In fact, pretty much everyone that saw how we were doing what we were doing said: "That can't possibly work!" Well, it did work, and there was a trick to it that we probably could have patented, but we didn't pursue patenting it due to limited resources.

Welp, in the end Evolv does hold the patent and it does cover pretty much all VW ecigs. It would take a challenge to overturn it as you say and I can't think of where one would come from.

jimbill

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 4, 2011
aurora,indiana
Believe it or not pretty much nothing else has VW like ecigs, and Evolv is definitely the inventor of that. And their patent covers all ecig VW, not just their implementation. The thing about ecig VW is it's not just having a watt number on a control, it's control of actual wattage (power). Other things may have wattage numbers on a given control, but those do no sensing of actual power.

Effectively VW in general. Licensing a patent isn't necessarily working with, apple and samsung own patents both companies use in their devices, for example and neither considers that working with the other. anyone who uses a given patented technology has to license but their effort is entirely theirs.

Patent US20130104916 - Electronic vaporizer that simulates smoking with power control - Google Patents
When i check this site below it shows nothing for evolv vw. I think it's just a application and has not been granted just like notcigs vv.
Search for Patents
http://www.patentlens.net/daisy/RiceGenome/3543.html

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread