The costs of running this huge site are paid for by ads. Please consider registering and becoming a Supporting Member for an ad-free experience. Thanks, ECF team.

Provari V3

Discussion in 'VV/VW APV Discussion' started by l36b, Jun 9, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Image has been removed.
URL has been removed.
Email address has been removed.
Media has been removed.
  1. dr g

dr g Moved On ECF Veteran

Mar 12, 2012
    Paradise
    Believe it or not pretty much nothing else has VW like ecigs, and Evolv is definitely the inventor of that. And their patent covers all ecig VW, not just their implementation. The thing about ecig VW is it's not just having a watt number on a control, it's control of actual wattage (power). Other things may have wattage numbers on a given control, but those do no sensing of actual power.

Effectively VW in general. Licensing a patent isn't necessarily working with, apple and samsung own patents both companies use in their devices, for example and neither considers that working with the other. anyone who uses a given patented technology has to license but their effort is entirely theirs.

http://www.google.com/patents/US20130104916

2. TheKiwi

TheKiwi Vaping Master Verified Member ECF Veteran

^ Welp. Yeaaaaa. That's pretty much VW in the broadest sense possible. And here I was trying to find the exact patent for the past 15mins. Face palm.

ETA: VW specifically for application in a vaporizer

3. AnsonJames

AnsonJames Ultra Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Jun 23, 2011
    IRELAND
    The Provari is ultra reliable, built like a tank and is super accurate.
    It's also made in the USA.

Look at this video, it should give you an idea as to why the Provari is so popular;

4. Rossum

Rossum Surly Curmudgeon Verified Member ECF Veteran

Supporting member
    Dec 14, 2013
    NE FL
    Again, I was doing that in the mid 1990s for industrial furnaces, with actual sensing of the power in real-time (720 times per second), with a 4-20mA input controlling the power level, with full short circuit protection on the output, and with power factor correction on the AC input. This wasn't tens of watts either, it was tens to hundreds of kilowatts. VW in real time was desirable in that application due to tremendous resistance change (as much as 8:1) of the heating elements (molybdenum) between ambient and operating temperature. It also turned out to be handy in other applications where the resistance of the elements also changed with age (silicon carbide).

So, no Evolv did not invent VW. I rather doubt I invented it either.

What Evolv probably did invent is a VW electronic cigarette. But VW in general? No way.

BTW, I'm not dissing Evolv. I love my DNA mods.

5. dr g

Mar 12, 2012
    Paradise
    I saw you posted that earlier, did you have a patent reference? I saw this one too in my research for that statement: Patent US6603795 - Power control system for AC electric arc furnace - Google Patents
    My statement was "pretty much nothing," not nothing, with those in mind, pretty much no consumer technology uses actual power control.

However as the patent was granted without any furnace control patents as references, the examiner felt the technology was not close enough, apparently. Perhaps it's the all-DC nature of it, or the specific application, I'm not sure. Was your furnace element control actual power control, or was it power regulation? Oddly enough Evolv's patent does not seem to cover power regulation (which may be what actually makes it applicable to all ecig VW).

6. Dampmaskin

Dampmaskin Ultra Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Jan 28, 2014
    Norway
    The Evolv patent seems pretty specific regarding how the power is controlled. But there are many ways to skin a cat. My guess is that ProVape uses a control circuit that basically does the same job, but in a somewhat different manner.

7. dr g

Mar 12, 2012
    Paradise
    Actually, it is not specific at all. It covers all implementations in current use that I know of, and I can't think of a way you'd get around it.

8. dr g

Mar 12, 2012
    Paradise
  9. Rossum

Rossum Surly Curmudgeon Verified Member ECF Veteran

Supporting member
    Dec 14, 2013
    NE FL
    No, we didn't patent VW for furnace power supplies back then. We didn't think VW was patentable 'cause it was too obvious. However, there was another aspect how we did what we did that we thought was patentable because wasn't obvious. In fact, pretty much everyone that saw how we were doing what we were doing said: "That can't possibly work!" Well, it did work, and there was a trick to it that we probably could have patented, but we didn't pursue patenting it due to limited resources.

It was a power supply. You could command it from 0% to 100% of rated power using an industry-standard 4-20mA input and it would produce that power level at the heating elements inside the furnace, taking the resistance of the elements into account in real-time. Conceptually, it wasn't much different than what's described in Evolv's patent. I still have the original schematics and source code, and I think there are still a few of those power supplies in service almost 20 years later.

FWIW, VW wasn't really part of the original design criteria; our primary objective was to build a power-factor corrected power supply to replace the variable-reactance transformers or phase-controlled SCRs that were in common use at the time. Both have horrible power factors when they're not full on, and utility companies were starting to penalize industrial customers who presented large reactive loads onto their grids. But another part of the design criteria was that you had to be able to drop a crow-bar (literally) across the output of the supply without damaging it, and in fact, without blowing fuses or tripping breakers. To do that, I had to monitor current in real time. At that point, I thought: Hey, it wouldn't it be easier for the customer to dial in his temperature-control PID loop if we control actual power instead of voltage or current (because the resistance of the elements changed dramatically with their temperature), so that's what we did.

10. dr g

Mar 12, 2012
    Paradise
    Welp, in the end Evolv does hold the patent and it does cover pretty much all VW ecigs. It would take a challenge to overturn it as you say and I can't think of where one would come from.

11. jimbill

jimbill Super Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Jan 4, 2011
    aurora,indiana
    When i check this site below it shows nothing for evolv vw. I think it's just a application and has not been granted just like notcigs vv.
    Search for Patents
    http://www.patentlens.net/daisy/RiceGenome/3543.html

12. CMD-Ky

CMD-Ky Vaping Master Verified Member ECF Veteran

Supporting member
    Sep 15, 2013
    KY
    I like it because it has low wattage capability. I generally use between 6.0 to 7.5 Watts with 2.0 to 2.5 Ohms and probably won't change that, I've been doing that for quite a while.

13. Koeikan

Koeikan Full Member Verified Member

Aug 1, 2014
    Seattle
    Seen it, used it, still don't get it :). To each their own, I suppose, though.

14. AnsonJames

AnsonJames Ultra Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Jun 23, 2011
    IRELAND
    Exactly!

I do get it - I love my Provari and will buy the P3 in a heartbeat.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.