The rare legitimate question for provari owners.

Status
Not open for further replies.

EddardinWinter

The Philosopher Who Rides
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 13, 2012
Richmond, Va
I did make a single error, in naively/arrogantly thinking that I could foresee all of the ways it could be misconstrued... <snip>

Yeah, that was your single mistake!

Such a shame....

Garbled OP nobody could follow:
$5.
Endless stream of rationalizations:
$8.
Two-bit psychotherapy:
$1.75.
Failure to own a confusing, poorly-worded, clumsy OP, and the torturous pretzel-logic required to maintain the writer's self-righteous superiority:
Priceless!

Roaring thunderously via Tapatalk...

avype7yb.jpg
keep calm and vape .12 ohms

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

PLANofMAN

Signature Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 9, 2012
Woodburn, OR
If one were to be selling Provaris, that would be quite the boon; I've read several of those threads, and without fail there are always a few posters in them that say they just ordered a provari.

Do I genuinely think provape or any specific reseller is doing this intentionally? I certainly hope not, but I thought it would be interesting to see if such a thing would be a productive marketing ploy. I lack sufficient justification to point a finger, but wouldn't rule it out. People do some strange and occasionally messed up things to turn a buck.
That's a cool story bro.

I know you will find this hard to believe. Frankly, I don't care if you do or not. When the ProVari sub-forum was archived and the Provarinati and other ProVari users ended up migrating over to the ProVape forum, at least one ProVape mod, MonsterKenny, expressed surprise upon learning that there was a sub-forum for ProVari enthusiasts, let alone that it had been closed. I doubt that someone who did not know of the existence of an entire sub-forum is going to meddle with the threads in that sub-forum.:2c:

RebelGolfer72

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Apr 28, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
That's a cool story bro.

I know you will find this hard to believe. Frankly, I don't care if you do or not. When the ProVari sub-forum was archived and the Provarinati and other ProVari users ended up migrating over to the ProVape forum, at least one ProVape mod, MonsterKenny, expressed surprise upon learning that there was a sub-forum for ProVari enthusiasts, let alone that it had been closed. I doubt that someone who did not know of the existence of an entire sub-forum is going to meddle with the threads in that sub-forum.:2c:
Aaaaaannnnnddddd a good number who say they "just bought a ProVari" end up staying there, contributing, and in many cases show pics. I would venture to say, ProVape has sold more ProVari than there are active members on this board. Members of ECF are a very small fraction of the number of vapers out there.

ScandaLeX

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 6, 2013
PhiLLy
Aaaaaannnnnddddd a good number who say they "just bought a ProVari" end up staying there, contributing, and in many cases show pics. I would venture to say, ProVape has sold more ProVari than there are active members on this board. Members of ECF are a very small fraction of the number of vapers out there.

How right you are. I know someone who just bought a ProVari & never heard of ECF. She wanted to quit smoking. Asked a coworker what he was using. Left on her lunch break & bought a ProVari.

Sent from a BIG phone.....Galaxy Note 3

Mutescream

ECF Veteran
Jan 23, 2014
Florida, USA
Yeah, that was your single mistake!

Such a shame....

Garbled OP nobody could follow:
$5.
Endless stream of rationalizations:
$8.
Two-bit psychotherapy:
$1.75.
Failure to own a confusing, poorly-worded, clumsy OP, and the torturous pretzel-logic required to maintain the writer's self-righteous superiority:
Priceless!

Let's go over your post, shall we? At least one person actually bothered to read my post and get it. Perhaps I failed to communicate to the target audience at large effectively. Your average newspaper is targeted at a 3rd to 5th grade reading level, and military technical publications are targeted at a 7th. A remarkable number of people still misunderstand both of those, so my expectations of much better here were probably very unrealistic.

Now, do you deny that provari owners take a lot of abuse? Do you think said abuse is justified? Do you think systematic abuse lacks impact on it's target?

Unlike my position of not expecting anyone to provide detailed explanations/justification for their position... I have had to incessantly reiterate and paraphrase to correct misconceptions brought on by either a lack of reading comprehension, or intellectual laziness/failure to actually read all that is being commented on.

What is torturous, is all of the resultant bs... From merely asking if threads that were designed to provoke provari owners, and as a result made happy provari owners come out of the woodwork to say they are great had a positive impact on their (provari owners) choice to purchase a provari.

It's really a pretty simple question, down to the point of being truly binary. It either influenced you to do it, or not.

The ensuing debacle was not anticipated, or desired.

ScandaLeX

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 6, 2013
PhiLLy
I wish someone would close this thread. Every response you come back with is another insult towards anyone who responds.

Not sure how stupid you believe us to be considering how many times it's been said we must not have read your post or read them incorrectly.

Even this last reply is full of insults.

p.opus

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 24, 2010
Coral Springs FL
Let's go over your post, shall we? At least one person actually bothered to read my post and get it. Perhaps I failed to communicate to the target audience at large effectively. Your average newspaper is targeted at a 3rd to 5th grade reading level, and military technical publications are targeted at a 7th. A remarkable number of people still misunderstand both of those, so my expectations of much better here were probably very unrealistic.

Now, do you deny that provari owners take a lot of abuse? Do you think said abuse is justified? Do you think systematic abuse lacks impact on it's target?

Unlike my position of not expecting anyone to provide detailed explanations/justification for their position... I have had to incessantly reiterate and paraphrase to correct misconceptions brought on by either a lack of reading comprehension, or intellectual laziness/failure to actually read all that is being commented on.

What is torturous, is all of the resultant bs... From merely asking if threads that were designed to provoke provari owners, and as a result made happy provari owners come out of the woodwork to say they are great had a positive impact on their (provari owners) choice to purchase a provari.

It's really a pretty simple question, down to the point of being truly binary. It either influenced you to do it, or not.

Let me answer this for you as clearly as I know how

NO!!!

Two things influenced me:

1. pbusardo and Dimitris The Vaping Greek. They have vaped nearly everything you can put a battery into. These two individuals have the clout to have ANY PV available. They were asked if a robber came in tomorrow and stole ALL of their vape gear, what would THEY spend THEIR money to replace immediately....Answer: ProVari and a Kayfun.

2. Holding one and using one at a vape meet.

Hope that answered your question adequately

Mutescream

ECF Veteran
Jan 23, 2014
Florida, USA
I wish someone would close this thread. Every response you come back with is another insult towards anyone who responds.

Not sure how stupid you believe us to be considering how many times it's been said we must not have read your post or read them incorrectly.

Even this last reply is full of insults.

For the posts that I do respond to, I tend to respond to them in kind; if you (not you specifically/individually, but the "collective you", as in those other than me) don't like it, don't dish it out. I don't actually think everyone is all that stupid; most people do appear at least to be intellectually lazy, impulsive, and don't bother to make sure they have all of the information available to them and comprehend it before reacting to it, though. That's more reckless/careless/oblivious than stupid. Stupid implies a lack of capacity. I think it's more a lack of caring/motivation/focus.

I wish people would actually read something in entirety and at least make a solid effort to understand it, prior to attempting to form an opinion on it and sharing it. There have been some posters here that in the past having read their posts I found their posts enlightening and intelligent, but in this particular thread I am a bit baffled at their responses (not even hostile, and I did not reply to most of them). Mostly likely due to the fact that their responses read more like advertisements for Provaris (and in retrospect, I think they may have provided such posts so often they have macros for them on their computer, as I am pretty sure I have read verbatim copies of some of those particular posts in other threads).

Rickb119

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jul 20, 2013
Greeley, CO, USA
I have had to incessantly reiterate and paraphrase to correct misconceptions brought on by either a lack of reading comprehension, or intellectual laziness/failure to actually read all that is being commented on.

"I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant".

Mutescream

ECF Veteran
Jan 23, 2014
Florida, USA
I wouldn't have come back to this thread, except you quoted me, so...
I'm even more confused than I was before. Are YOU sure what the thread was about when you started it, or have you changed your mind based on the reactions it has received? I didn't see ANYTHING in the original post that was ANYTHING like trying to figure out why Provari owners are "getting poked with a stick."
Here it is. Feel free to point out where that was mentioned. I really don't even care, to be completely honest. But since you took the time to explain to a whole bunch of people how we clearly misread, misunderstood, or misinterpreted...

If you're gonna own it...Own it.

Wow. You know what, I'm actually going to indulge you.

First off, I'm not going to ask you to justify your purchase (like most/all provari threads seem to). If you are happy with your pv, I'm happy for you. I'm not here to poke you with a stick, but I will admit that part of the purpose of this thread is to see if someone else actually needs to be poked with a stick.

Here I specifically make it clear that I do not care about WHY people bought them. I even express happiness by proxy for happy provari owners. I attempt (apparently miserably) to make it clear that I bear provari owners no ill will.​

I want you to ask yourself something... How many of you bought your provari about the same time as one of those "why did you trade your firstborn child for a provari" threads. How many bought one after a few provari owners essentially either told someone "buy a provari, you'll eventually do it anyway", "it's no more 'just a battery tube', than a Porsche is just a car" or something else along those lines.

here's the tricky part, the part where I request information (usually referred to as a question). I request provari owners to reflect on their purchase, and whether posts that are intentionally malicious impacted their choice to buy one (if only because of the army of provari owners that surfaced convinced them the provari is a truly impressive piece of vape gear).​

I'm not speculating that any of the provari owners around here are witting shills, or stating that provape is manipuating ecf members in a slick distributed ad campaign that conditions you to be their deployed marketing team (but, if they are... it's devious enough that Palpatine would be jealous). I'm not even going to point a finger at a reseller... I just want you to consider how many people actually buy provaris as a direct result of those threads, as I note at least one or two posters saying they just ordered within those threads that I have read (ostensibly as a direct result of multitudes of fervently loyal provari owners coming out of the woodwork, to provide passionate testimonials).

Here I make it clear that I don't think they intentionally surface to provide such declarations of virtue of the device, to intentionally increase their numbers/recruit/sell provaris. I attempt to make it clear that I am not specifically pointing a finger at anyone directly. However, it would be a devious means to increase sales of things with a solid positive fan base. I do speculate on how it would be a devious means of marketing, though. It could possibly be a less than scrupulous reseller, for all I know. All I am confident of stating re: this at this point is that provari owners are attacked with regularity and like clockwork. I'm trying to see if there is any other logical purpose than cruelty behind it.​

I'm not saying you've been hoodwinked, or that you have been consciously hoodwinking others... I'm not saying that the provari is a bad purchase, either. I'm not debating the relative value of the provari, as that goes outside of the scope of this thread.

I attempt to make it clear that I don't think people that buy provaris have been swindled (wow, was this section epically misunderstood). I also make it clear that I don't believe that provari owners have been intentionally manipulating others. I also attempt to make it clear that the relative worth of the provari is completely irrelevant to this discussion.​
But, with this being the largest ecig forum... In conjunction with the startling regularity of those threads... It has to be doing wonders for their branding awareness, and as a result sales.

I'm more interested in exploring if it is merely trolls yanking your chain, or merchants tugging at your (and other's) collective wallets.

Here is where I had thought that I had made it pretty clear that I believe that provari owners are provoked with the intent of bringing out previously mentioned posts of positivity to get others to think they are cool (and ostensibly buy them). If you don't get what I'm saying here, read up on Pavlov.

Dampmaskin

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 28, 2014
Norway
www.steam-engine.org
I know someone who just bought a ProVari & never heard of ECF. She wanted to quit smoking. Asked a coworker what he was using. Left on her lunch break & bought a ProVari.

I've got a similar story: This weekend an Ego-vaping friend had a look at my Provari with KFL clone and took a puff from it. He immediately exclaimed "Now that's something! I really like this setup." Yesterday he ordered a Provari.

I'm pretty sure he has never been to ECF.

EddardinWinter

The Philosopher Who Rides
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 13, 2012
Richmond, Va

In answer to your abuse questions, I submit the following:

I only speak for myself, I don't presume to speak for other ProVari users. I don't feel I have "taken a lot of abuse". I just don't see someone posting something I disagree with (or even something disparaging) on an internet forum as "abuse". Since I don't agree that I have been abused, the answers to your next two questions are moot.

I will say this: when I write something and the reader is confused, I never blame the reader. In my book, the burden of clarity is always on the writer.

My ProVari purchase was made due to the advice of The Ocelot and Baditude, but not based any specific thread activities.

Mutescream

ECF Veteran
Jan 23, 2014
Florida, USA
I will say this: when I write something and the reader is confused, I never blame the reader. In my book, the burden of clarity is always on the writer.

To some degree, yes. However, there is the burden of those that are ostensibly "reading" it to actually read it in entirety. One of the reasons I happened to be misunderstood, is that my aim was off on the target audience. Another is that it is very clear that many merely gloss over something, without actually reading about it or thinking about it, before replying.

I am responsible for what I write, but I am not responsible for unreasonable interpretations of what I wrote.

PLANofMAN

Signature Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 9, 2012
Woodburn, OR

Still trying to herd cats, eh?
hc.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread