Random DIY mixing and More

NolaMel

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 17, 2012
New Orleans
Here is to hoping that 'seed' steeping really works.

(seed steeping is when you have an ingredient already matured, and add something to it. It is said to speed up aging the new ingredients)..YMMV
LOL
I think I’ll make a few seeds. Having ZERO patience, it would be awesome to cut the steep from 8-9 weeks to a couple or three. That I can deal with!

Sugar_and_Spice

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 11, 2010
between here and there
I think I’ll make a few seeds. Having ZERO patience, it would be awesome to cut the steep from 8-9 weeks to a couple or three. That I can deal with!
Some folks on here swear by it. Does sound like it may be a good idea. Especially if I am just about ready to run out of any of my adv mixes.

:)

Let us know if it really works.......

FranC

Long time vaper.
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
  • Oct 1, 2010
    New Hampshire
    Here is to hoping that 'seed' steeping really works.

(seed steeping is when you have an ingredient already matured, and add something to it. It is said to speed up aging the new ingredients)..YMMV
    LOL
    I normally wouldn't be overly concerned with steeping but 9 weeks is a bit much. Getting a jump on that has to be good.

FranC

Long time vaper.
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
  • Oct 1, 2010
    New Hampshire
    I'm thinking just one month or less if the cream is already steeped.

stols001

Moved On
    ECF Veteran
    May 30, 2017
    I believe seed steeping works. Early on, I had a few mixes I liked and just refilled with the small remainder. It did seem to speed things up, although frankly I have NO clue why it would, or the chemistry behind it.

It MAY be placebo, but I think you ALL have probably had an earful on my thoughts on THAT (it works, it's a good thing, I don't care if I'm tricking myself, etc.)

LOL I figured out why my Adderall was twice what it should have been. Holy goodness, my pdoc wrote for DOUBLE the amount, and said, "Take 1/2 to 1 four times a day."

I'm glad I didn't read the bottle and magically follow the directions my heart would have exploded. 40 mg of Adderall is TWICE Ritalin, if I'd taken 4 pills a day, like, HOLY GOODNESS. 80 mg of Adderall is NOT what you want, but now I have two months supply.

I always forget (at the worst times) that my pdoc is a ditz when it comes to some stuff. To be fair, I was throwing a LOT at him, and etc.

Also only took one horse tranquilizer not two, yesterday, even when I was all out and about and etc. I really think it was the Ritalin doing some of the crayzee that and STREEESSS, "Sit around and wait," is not my preferred mode of being.

My apologies, MAINLY SEED STEEEPING WORKS and if there's some chemist out there about to say, no it doesn't, please use white color ink or something. LOL.

Anna

stols001

Moved On
    ECF Veteran
    May 30, 2017
    Hmm... I don't think I'll get too much done other than sitting vacantly on the couch. Oh I'm going to do the credit card stuff, but later. LOL, the husband needs the amounts. He is traveling somewhere to get some things, and Adderall or no, I had to take a horse tranquilizer and I am feeling Very Sedate, not sure handling nic in that condition was so fabulous, but... LOL.

Anna

Myk

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Jan 1, 2009
    IL, USA
    I don't keep inventory.Well I kind of do on ELR but I rarely keep the list updated.I don't think I've ever actually ran out of anything. I always note my flavors when I'm mixing and if I see any getting low they go on the wishlist. It's worked pretty well for me all this time so I see no reason to change.

Not keeping inventory is why I had 2 120ml bottles of something. And bought 10ml of something important when I already had new 120ml and 30ml bottles.

OK,is this right? Assuming I have 30ml of HA Italian Cream mixed at 1% and all steeped. Now I want to make a mix that calls for 1% of the cream. I would add .3% steeped mix to equal that 1% of flavor?

I don't think of the % other than to figure out the amount of flavoring in the available tester.
    I don't think you can do it exactly. It's like trying to make an 18mg recipe with an 18mg base, it's not going to happen.
    You have a 1% flavoring at 30ml and you want to come out exactly 1% and 30ml, something will get diluted.

That 30ml bottle of the 1% flavoring has .3ml of the flavoring in it total.
    If you wanted to do another 30ml bottle with 1% of that flavoring it would take the whole .3ml so you would have to add the other flavors in the recipe to it.
    If you add more to the 30ml your 1% no longer is 1% because your total volume will increase. If you pull off the volume of other flavors you are pulling out some of your .3ml.

If your steeped flavor was twice the percentage than you wanted, then it's like trying to make an 18mg liquid out of 36mg base.
    Or if the volume of the steeped flavor was less than you wanted you could add the stronger flavoring to boost it.

Some folks on here swear by it. Does sound like it may be a good idea. Especially if I am just about ready to run out of any of my adv mixes.

Let us know if it really works.......

I swear by it. I just don't rise out old bottles of the same liquid (unless they've been sitting for horrifyingly long).

Sugar_and_Spice

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Sep 11, 2010
    between here and there
    Not keeping inventory is why I had 2 120ml bottles of something. And bought 10ml of something important when I already had new 120ml and 30ml bottles.

I don't think of the % other than to figure out the amount of flavoring in the available tester.
    I don't think you can do it exactly. It's like trying to make an 18mg recipe with an 18mg base, it's not going to happen.
    You have a 1% flavoring at 30ml and you want to come out exactly 1% and 30ml, something will get diluted.

That 30ml bottle of the 1% flavoring has .3ml of the flavoring in it total.
    If you wanted to do another 30ml bottle with 1% of that flavoring it would take the whole .3ml so you would have to add the other flavors in the recipe to it.
    If you add more to the 30ml your 1% no longer is 1% because your total volume will increase. If you pull off the volume of other flavors you are pulling out some of your .3ml.

If your steeped flavor was twice the percentage than you wanted, then it's like trying to make an 18mg liquid out of 36mg base.
    Or if the volume of the steeped flavor was less than you wanted you could add the stronger flavoring to boost it.

I swear by it. I just don't rise out old bottles of the same liquid (unless they've been sitting for horrifyingly long).
    Boy did you just muddy the waters......all volume and extra ingredients needed were accounted for and it was determined, yes it can be done.......you just didn't read my post,......:pervy:

and we need an 'eeewwww. button for not rinsing out your used bottles.....lol:pop:

Myk

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Jan 1, 2009
    IL, USA
    Boy did you just muddy the waters......all volume and extra ingredients needed were accounted for and it was determined, yes it can be done.......you just didn't read my post,......:pervy:

and we need an 'eeewwww. button for not rinsing out your used bottles.....lol:pop:

This post? You do it by lowering the volume of the 30ml/1% so there is a measurable amount of flavoring to be added.

So totally disagree with this statement.....

Ok....forgive me but lets walk you through it.

You have a 10 ml of mixed ready to go IC. You want to make 30ml of a recipe and use that 10ml so in order to finish filling that 30ml bottle you would say

30ml bottle minus the 10ml(already in there) =20 ml.

To keep the IC @ 1% in a 30 ml bottle, only add IC to finish mixing to 30ml, so you want to add .02ml of IC along with the rest of your recipe ingredients (for a 30ml mix)to your new recipe.

I know clear as mud, right?

I was explaining why 30ml/1% won't work to make 30ml/1%.
    10ml/1% + flavoring to make 30ml/1%, yes.
    Part of 30ml/2% to make 30ml/1%, yes.
    30ml/1% + flavoring to make 31.8ml (or something) recipe, yes. Or the same to be close enough without adding more IC, maybe.

FranC

Long time vaper.
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
  • Oct 1, 2010
    New Hampshire

Thank you much for the easy to understand explanation. I have it down now. Even made notes so I don't forget:)

Sugar_and_Spice

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Sep 11, 2010
    between here and there
    This post? You do it by lowering the volume of the 30ml/1% so there is a measurable amount of flavoring to be added.

I was explaining why 30ml/1% won't work to make 30ml/1%.
    10ml/1% + flavoring to make 30ml/1%, yes.
    Part of 30ml/2% to make 30ml/1%, yes.
    30ml/1% + flavoring to make 31.8ml (or something) recipe, yes. Or the same to be close enough without adding more IC, maybe.
    All accounted for.........within the 30ml limit.......Thankyouverymuchhaveanice day..........
    You are over thinking it.

FranC

Long time vaper.
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
  • Oct 1, 2010
    New Hampshire
    All accounted for.........within the 30ml limit.......Thankyouverymuchhaveanice day..........
    You are over thinking it.

That's ok. I have it in my head. No one can confuse me now.

stols001

Moved On
    ECF Veteran
    May 30, 2017
    It's no more ewww…. than creating a stone of something and then transferring it into new bottles, frankly, unless you are doing something very weird to your bottles. I mean sure, if there was a film of crusty, 3 year old eliquid in there or whatevrs, which has not been the case. I've had bottles where I'm like, YEAH I don't think I will reuse that one to get steeping going, but some of them were new, clean enough and etc.

I mean to follow that logic, every time you like, take your dropper out, put eliquid in something and then put the dropper back, yeah, then you'd have an "ewwww" situation etc. I think clean enough is a reasonable standard, quite frankly. It's no worse than mixing two flavors together or a multitude of things, if I had 1./4 of a mix left that I really liked that was 5 months old I don't GET the issue.

But, don't mind ME. I haven't heard from that lady yet, my main contribution was listing ALL the consolidation amounts for the husband, gibbering, applying to OTHER jobs to soothe my anxiety, which only makes me MORE anxious, especially given for ALL I know, I'll wind up with an action on my license. My main contribution to my own well being today was bathing, drinking coffee, and not smoking.

It is, in fact, probably time for my next horse tranquilizer. I stopped applying for stuff when like, this inner voice rose up and went, "Gee, Anna, remember when your life didn't USED to suck?" And that is when I decided to vape heavily, sit here and read posts, and like enter my imaginary Land of Computer and Etc., because frankly, I have never once known a recruiter to be remotely accurate about "when someone will get in touch,," either.

Hurry up and wait, LOL, seems to be the need for MOST job stuff, and I get it, but I don't do that at all well, politely or kindly. So yeah, ignore me honestly because I should probably BE ignored, even by myself .Just am painfully anxious. The husband came home, talked to me a bit, and then put headphones on.

I can't blame him exactly I mean I DO blame him and etc., I just... I've never gone longer than about 2 weeks before finding employment when I wanted TO and this last little bit... I'm afraid not.

I'm a frayed knot.

Yeah, I'm bad about offering up verbal Punishment sometimes.

But, I still want to know what y'all are doing to your bottles to make them so gross. LOL.

Anna

Fidola13

Totally Stashed!
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Dec 20, 2017
    Boston
    I did some mixes today but not sure where my head was at. I managed to mess up a couple of mixes by doubling some flavors ugh. I just wasn’t paying attention or focusing enough.

But the good news is that the couple of snv’s I did came out awesome! Now I wish I had made more than a 10 ml tester. Sometimes I can tell just by the ingredients in a new recipe that I’ll like and will make at least 20mls but I was trying some new flavors I recently bought so I was being cautious.

And the Custard base I’ve had steeping for about a month is delicious and I added some FE Lemon and Italian Sicily. So do I need to let it steep more now that I added lemon? Im really proud of myself for waiting this long for the custard! Now I’m impatient!!

ceeceeisme

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Aug 30, 2016
    Niagara Region, ON CANADA
    I did some mixes today but not sure where my head was at. I managed to mess up a couple of mixes by doubling some flavors ugh. I just wasn’t paying attention or focusing enough.

But the good news is that the couple of snv’s I did came out awesome! Now I wish I had made more than a 10 ml tester. Sometimes I can tell just by the ingredients in a new recipe that I’ll like and will make at least 20mls but I was trying some new flavors I recently bought so I was being cautious.

And the Custard base I’ve had steeping for about a month is delicious and I added some FE Lemon and Italian Sicily. So do I need to let it steep more now that I added lemon? Im really proud of myself for waiting this long for the custard! Now I’m impatient!!

Those lemon flavors are both Shake 'n Vape certified :) Go for it!

Myk

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Jan 1, 2009
    IL, USA
    It's no more ewww…. than creating a stone of something and then transferring it into new bottles, frankly, unless you are doing something very weird to your bottles. I mean sure, if there was a film of crusty, 3 year old eliquid in there or whatevrs, which has not been the case. I've had bottles where I'm like, YEAH I don't think I will reuse that one to get steeping going, but some of them were new, clean enough and etc.

I mean to follow that logic, every time you like, take your dropper out, put eliquid in something and then put the dropper back, yeah, then you'd have an "ewwww" situation etc. I think clean enough is a reasonable standard, quite frankly. It's no worse than mixing two flavors together or a multitude of things, if I had 1./4 of a mix left that I really liked that was 5 months old I don't GET the issue.

But, don't mind ME. I haven't heard from that lady yet, my main contribution was listing ALL the consolidation amounts for the husband, gibbering, applying to OTHER jobs to soothe my anxiety, which only makes me MORE anxious, especially given for ALL I know, I'll wind up with an action on my license. My main contribution to my own well being today was bathing, drinking coffee, and not smoking.

It is, in fact, probably time for my next horse tranquilizer. I stopped applying for stuff when like, this inner voice rose up and went, "Gee, Anna, remember when your life didn't USED to suck?" And that is when I decided to vape heavily, sit here and read posts, and like enter my imaginary Land of Computer and Etc., because frankly, I have never once known a recruiter to be remotely accurate about "when someone will get in touch,," either.

Hurry up and wait, LOL, seems to be the need for MOST job stuff, and I get it, but I don't do that at all well, politely or kindly. So yeah, ignore me honestly because I should probably BE ignored, even by myself .Just am painfully anxious. The husband came home, talked to me a bit, and then put headphones on.

I can't blame him exactly I mean I DO blame him and etc., I just... I've never gone longer than about 2 weeks before finding employment when I wanted TO and this last little bit... I'm afraid not.

I'm a frayed knot.

Yeah, I'm bad about offering up verbal Punishment sometimes.

But, I still want to know what y'all are doing to your bottles to make them so gross. LOL.

Anna

I've been immune suppressed since November 2016 on top of having a higher risk of pneumonia than general population and having an immune system that seemingly is distracted from what it should do because it's busy attacking what it shouldn't.
    I have bottles of actively used liquids that haven't been rinsed since 2013. If it was bad I'm sure I would be the one to find out.
    There was a raw ground meat dish at my brother's. I'm sure nobody got sick from it. I didn't touch it because if someone was going to get sick from eating it that would've been me and it's not worth time in a hospital to taste something.

Only new bottles get soap cleaned and I imagine I would stop doing that if I saw a video of how bottles were made from start to cap. I'm guessing the inside of a bottle was once molten glass and have never been touched by anything except by random pieces of dust that manage to find their way into the tiny opening. I probably add more bad stuff by cleaning them.

Users who are viewing this thread