The costs of running this huge site are paid for by ads. Please consider registering and becoming a Supporting Member for an ad-free experience. Thanks, ECF team.

Random DIY mixing and More

Discussion in 'DIY E-Liquid' started by FranC, May 27, 2018.

Tags:
Image has been removed.
URL has been removed.
Email address has been removed.
Media has been removed.
  1. Letitia

Letitia Citrus Junkie ECF Veteran

Supporting member
    Apr 2, 2017
    West Frankfort, IL
    @lupinehorror has been using lemon shisha here lately. Maybe be can entice him to give some insight about the flavor.

• Like Like x 8
  2. lupinehorror

lupinehorror bròn Verified Member ECF Veteran

Supporting member
    Jul 11, 2017
    Dunblane
    @Letitia
    yup...been on a bit of a shisha trip of late. the inawera lemon shisha is very nice. bit cotton candy but still with that nice zing (you can see why i'm not a wine critic...wheelbarrows of autumn leaves with a spike of hogweed etc).
    i think it'll also be good as a standalone but i haven't tried it, yet.
    other shishas that i enjoy are strawberry and coconut. haven't been much help have i... :cry:

• Like Like x 8
    • Love Love x 3
  3. Myk

Myk Vaping Master ECF Veteran

Jan 1, 2009
    IL, USA
    They are rolled backwards from what my coiler does. That's what got me to get the dual instead of the single. But I think the dual works out better since I like big coils.

I first suggested the flavors you can't taste on a dripper but didn't guarantee they wouldn't be sweeter too.
    A lot of those flavors you can't taste are the ones I can't mix strong enough to taste except in a dripper or modern tanks.

• Like Like x 7
    • Useful Useful x 1
  4. FranC

FranC TWR Co-Moderator Verified Member ECF Veteran

Supporting member
    Oct 1, 2010
    New Hampshire
    The only flavors I can't taste at all are apple and caramel (I think there's another also can't think of). I haven't been able to taste these in a vape since I first started 8+ years ago. I have tried drippers in the past in an effort to taste these flavors and it didn't work. All I got was the sweetness from the flavors with no other taste.

• Like Like x 6
    • Love Love x 1
  5. FranC

Supporting member
    Oct 1, 2010
    New Hampshire
    It seems like flavor fade is being mentioned more and more. Lemon has always been a fader but now I've found FA Pom to fade and now Sweet Rice. I'm sure there are others out there.

I have no plans on another ECX order but I'm going to try the Rice Base from BCF.

• Like Like x 5
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 2
    • Useful Useful x 1
  6. FranC

Supporting member
    Oct 1, 2010
    New Hampshire
    No big plans for today that I can see. Hauled out 5 flavors to try next. I usually try the least likely to like first but this time I'm going to try the most likely to like which is a remixed Blueberry Cheesecake.

• Like Like x 4
    • Love Love x 2
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 2
  7. FranC

Supporting member
    Oct 1, 2010
    New Hampshire
    The reworked Blueberry Cheesecake is pretty good so far. Tangerine Cheesecake is a tad sweet. I could fix that but not going to bother.Not really caring much for tangerine in a cheesecake mix.

• Like Like x 8
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  8. Letitia

Supporting member
    Apr 2, 2017
    West Frankfort, IL
    It does help sweets. I was wondering about the zest notes in the lemon shisha.

• Like Like x 7
    • Love Love x 1
  9. Myk

Myk Vaping Master ECF Veteran

Jan 1, 2009
    IL, USA
    The RF VG additions to watermelon don't have the funk to them. Not especially great. But I can keep searching with the other flavors. Maybe just one flavor at 15%.

I got a big order in. I should be able to make a melon salad after this.

• Like Like x 6
    • Funny Funny x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  10. ceeceeisme

ceeceeisme Ultra Member ECF Veteran

I have INW Shisha Lemon but I tend to use FE Lemon more. There are definitely some zest notes with the shisha and they don't tend to play well with bakery flavors. I can see Shisha Lemon working well in drink type liquids like teas and boozy flavors.

• Useful Useful x 4
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  11. Letitia

Supporting member
    Apr 2, 2017
    West Frankfort, IL
    I was also considering the VTA rice base.

• Like Like x 4
    • Love Love x 1
  12. hittman

hittman ECF Guru Verified Member ECF Veteran

Supporting member
    I got distracted and forgot about the cranberry mix I made a couple weeks ago. I tried it in an rda and its a bit too sweet. I think I'm going to cut the cranberry back to 7%, drop the Fuji to 2%, keep the fe lemon at 1%, do 2% two apples, and add 2-3% pomegranate. It's ok if it's kind of sweet but I do want some tart in it also.

• Like Like x 7
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. FranC

Supporting member
    Oct 1, 2010
    New Hampshire
    Holding off on the tea recipes I think. I have a whole drawer section of older mixed stuff I need to get back into.

• Like Like x 7
  14. PJReid

PJReid Ultra Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Supporting member
    Jun 2, 2013
    Virginia
    If I like a mix that I know will fade, I just make smaller quantities. I won't give up lemon or pomegranate. :)
    I did something similar with my cran-apple mix - 7% TFA Cranberry, 2% JF Fuji (I like it a bit more than FA but they really are almost identical,) 2% INW Two Apples, .25% FE Lemon, .5 MB Shape Up Pear, .75% WS-23. I was thinking of adding a little Pom to the mix or maybe even some citric acid. I have a 10% solution mixed up but have never used it. I do like the Cran-Apple as written here though. Still, experimentation sometimes pays off.

• Like Like x 8
    • Useful Useful x 1
  15. FranC

Supporting member
    Oct 1, 2010
    New Hampshire
    I'm all for doing smaller mixes. I'm not giving up Pom but I really wouldn't miss lemon much of any.

• Like Like x 4
  16. PJReid

Supporting member
    Jun 2, 2013
    Virginia
    I am having an issue with VTA Botanical Gin and the weight in grams per ml. This is important in measuring by weight and ELR doesn't have manufacturer's specified gravity for VTA concentrates. I knew when I was playing around with the percentages that something was off. I think that the weight in grams per ml. should be 1.133, based on Vape Train's Australian site which gives the weight in grams of a 10ml bottle as 25g and a 30ml bottle as 40g. This kind of math is not my strong suit. o_O I am not sure of my math since that makes VTA Botanical Gin greater in density than almost any other flavor, but not by a lot compared to some similar ones. Sure would be nice if they figured this stuff out for us.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Love Love x 2
  17. PJReid

Supporting member
    Jun 2, 2013
    Virginia
    Oh heck! It's close enough. :D

• Funny Funny x 7
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  18. Letitia

Supporting member
    Apr 2, 2017
    West Frankfort, IL
    Mixed this the 25th and it is petty damn good. All %.
    WF(SC) almond cookie 1.5
    FA fuji 1.5
    INW cactus .5
    Cap double apple 1.5
    TFA dulce de leche 2.
    VTA honeycomb 2.25
    FA marzipan 1.
    Apple is up front and center where I wanted it and still retains a tart note (I was afraid the honeycomb and ddl would make it all sweet with no up notes). Hoping these percentages will work in a rta. Luckily I have a clean empty Nano I can wick up and try it out in. I'll mix 30ml of this and another 15ml subbing italian cream for the dulce de leche. Which reminds me I need to taste my sf WF caramel butter.

• Like Like x 5
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 4
    • Winner Winner x 1
  19. Fidola13

Fidola13 Prepper Verified Member ECF Veteran

Supporting member
    Dec 20, 2017
    Boston
    That’s sounds delicious!! I think I’ll have a whirl at this mix myself! Thanks

• Like Like x 7
  20. IDJoel

IDJoel Vaping Master Verified Member ECF Veteran

Feb 20, 2015
    Boise, ID
    The only thing I can think of to try; is using a syringe, and doing your own weight measurements.

Since even medical/pharmaceutical grade syringes have a +/-5% allowable variance; I would do a rough calibration using plain water first. That should tell you whether the graduations on the specific syringe are off any.

Once the syringe is calibrated, weigh the syringe dry (without any liquid) to get its tare weight. Then draw up the appropriate amount of VTA Botanical Gin and weigh syringe and concentrate. Deduct the weight of the syringe... and you should end up with the (mostly) true weight of the gin.

My only concern with the VTA weights is whether they include the weight of the bottle. Often, manufacturer weight is a "shipping" weight that includes the packaging.

If the booze concentrate actually includes any significant amount of ethyl alcohol; it is possible that the concentrate might weigh less than 1.0g/mL.

• Useful Useful x 5
    • Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1