Random DIY mixing and More

FranC

Long time vaper.
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
  • Oct 1, 2010
    New Hampshire
    Thinking about mixing with weights, in theory one could place their bottle on the scales and add each ingredient by ml(syringe) and then write down the grams that the scales displays in grams and put the gram weight in their written recipes along side the mls. This way you know your own recipes will be exactly as the ones mixed with ml.

:)
    I may do that for giggles tomorrow.

Sugar_and_Spice

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Sep 11, 2010
    between here and there
    I may do that for giggles tomorrow.
    To me it makes sense. May be I am erring on the side of caution because of what I experienced the first go around, but then you would not be totally relying on a calculator to tell you what to put in.

FranC

Long time vaper.
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
  • Oct 1, 2010
    New Hampshire
    To me it makes sense. May be I am erring on the side of caution because of what I experienced the first go around, but then you would not be totally relying on a calculator to tell you what to put in.

Since I haven't even tried a calculator yet I will try in against what I got from ELR.

Sugar_and_Spice

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Sep 11, 2010
    between here and there
    Since I haven't even tried a calculator yet I will try in against what I got from ELR.
    But ELR is the recipe calculator that I am talking about. You input your recipes and it calculates drops, ml, grams needed as per the % and volume of bottle you input. so I am not sure what you mean?

NolaMel

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Nov 17, 2012
    New Orleans
    I inadvertently stranded my cases of flavors at the back of an organizing disaster. So in an attempt to un-boring Ellas butterscotch shortbread, I made two small bottles with flavors I already had out. One with peach, the other with pear and vanilla custard (my mom in law makes a wonderful cookie crust custard tart with caramelized pears on top so I’m hoping it translates).

TheTinMan

ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Sep 25, 2016
    North Carolina
    So in an attempt to un-boring Ellas butterscotch shortbread

I mixed 240mls of Ella’s Shortbread. Ive been doing all sorts of things with it. It is a great base but boring on its on.

an organizing disaster.

Speaking of disasters, I mixed last night. I keep my PG and VG in liter bottles both marked. Mixing POG and have enough sweet guava CAP for one 240ml bottle.

So I mix
    PG
    Nic
    Flavors
    Last I add the VG...yep, picked up the wrong bottle.

As I was nearing the neck of the bottle needing 207mg of VG, my weight is at 160mg. I thought something was wrong with my scales, then I looked and it was PG. So with all PG flavors and PG based nic I had a 100% PG pour down the drain.

Heartsdelight

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Nov 10, 2015
    I inadvertently stranded my cases of flavors at the back of an organizing disaster. So in an attempt to un-boring Ellas butterscotch shortbread, I made two small bottles with flavors I already had out. One with peach, the other with pear and vanilla custard (my mom in law makes a wonderful cookie crust custard tart with caramelized pears on top so I’m hoping it translates).
    Pear & vanilla custard sounds good!

NolaMel

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Nov 17, 2012
    New Orleans
    I think @IDJoel suggested forest fruit, but I didn’t have the energy to clear a path to the cases. Apple came to mind too. If these are flops, I’m not sure I’d make the original recipe again. First tank was yummy, but it was just sort of meh in the long run.

Heartsdelight

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Nov 10, 2015
    I think @IDJoel suggested forest fruit, but I didn’t have the energy to clear a path to the cases. Apple came to mind too. If these are flops, I’m not sure I’d make the original recipe again. First tank was yummy, but it was just sort of meh in the long run.
    I mixed Ella’s Shortbread too & it was meh to me too. I’ll try adding the Forest Fruit to it. Do you remember the %?

Myk

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Jan 1, 2009
    IL, USA
    I've found in some cases though, that you'll often find the best deal by comparing total price (cost of items + S/H). Sometimes, even if a vendor has Free S/H...the total price is less elsewhere, even on glass bottles. Glass Bottle Outlet is often an example of 1 whose total price beats others.

@IDJoel and I both order from Glass Bottle Outlet, and from Bulk Apothecary (PG & VG), because they're examples of places where the "total price" is usually better than at other vendors. There are other people who order from them, too, but I can't remember who else off the top of my head now.

GBO, 2oz cobalt blue, cheapest shipping on 12, $8.12, $5.88 for the bottles. $14

2 oz. Cobalt Blue Boston Round with Black Cap (20/400)

Amazon Prime 2oz cobalt blue, same caps, $10.49.
    And it's also from GBO.

https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B01MS1L...olid=3NX3Y56EN7RU1&psc=0&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it

TheTinMan

ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Sep 25, 2016
    North Carolina
    I mixed Ella’s Shortbread too & it was meh to me too. I’ll try adding the Forest Fruit to it. Do you remember the %?

I have tried it with FF but I have mixed in some banana and let it sit for a few days. Turned out quite nice.

NolaMel

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Nov 17, 2012
    New Orleans
    I THINK 2%??? Median mixing % is given as 3% on ELR, so my memory must not be TOO shot. Perhaps we can get professional advice....

Fidola13

Totally Stashed!
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Dec 20, 2017
    Boston
    I'm sure I will like it once I get used to it. I've always been so sure I couldn't make changes to what I've been so used to. Lately I've made several changes that have turned out way easier than I've thought.

In my experience it is an incredibly freeing feeling.

TheTinMan

ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Sep 25, 2016
    North Carolina
    I THINK 2%??? Median mixing % is given as 3% on ELR, so my memory must not be TOO shot. Perhaps we can get professional advice....

Recently added to ELR when you add a flavor to a recipe it will auto fill the recommend percentage. When I added Forest Fruit FA it autofilled @ 3%. That being said, when I over do FF I tend to get a floral note I don’t like. So @Heartsdelight I would start lower, let steep 3 days and see what you think. Easier to add than take out, lol.

Banana sounds good!

FLV Banana @ 1% and gave it 3 days, very banana candy. Got even better after 7 days, riper banana and it didn’t take completely over the mix. You can go lower than 1% and I imagine it would be very very good.

Fidola13

Totally Stashed!
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Dec 20, 2017
    Boston
    That's quite okay! I have high hopes for a couple of the new one's I'm picking up. One of them is Lemongrass by Super Concentrated. I already have a recipe I made up to try it with. Here's hoping!!!

Would love to hear how that works out. Any recipe or flavor that has the word “lemon” in it peaks my taste buds! Seriously, just thinking about lemon anything makes my salivary glands go manic :rickroll: !!!

Fidola13

Totally Stashed!
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Dec 20, 2017
    Boston
    Recently added to ELR when you add a flavor to a recipe it will auto fill the recommend percentage. When I added Forest Fruit FA it autofilled @ 3%. That being said, when I over do FF I tend to get a floral note I don’t like. So @Heartsdelight I would start lower, let steep 3 days and see what you think. Easier to add than take out, lol.

FLV Banana @ 1% and gave it 3 days, very banana candy. Got even better after 7 days, riper banana and it didn’t take completely over the mix. You can go lower than 1% and I imagine it would be very very good.

I noticed that as well a few weeks ago. I thought there was a glitch. I hope you figured it out A LOT sooner than I did :?: !!

Users who are viewing this thread