Rayon Wick - Better Flow, Flavor, Longevity, and Nic Hit!! - Pt.2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Heartsdelight

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Nov 10, 2015
OK here's the vertical build I put in the ehpro bachelor tank.. Been a long time since I did a vcore/chimney/BVC. I posted the first Rayon build with this type of coil, and popularized the vertical coil.

28g ss430 Rayon wick

Forming coil and then spacing it out.

Sizing leg test fitting and wrapping with Rayon, did one small piece snug first, then followed with a long piece. Its the way I chose to do it.

Fitting coil, tamping Rayon down.

Finished product

Better air flow and plenty of saturation

It did come a little short after break in and added another layer around the outside by opening the gap with a needle and pushing more down in. Also filled the slots the rest of the way.

Now it's complete. Here it is after vaping it a few days.

Wow!!! That looks great!

JeremyR

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Dec 29, 2012
Oregon, IL
Does anyone know if fasttech sells rayon? I was unable to find any.

Nope, it's typically so easy to aquire, for such a small cost it's hardly worth selling unless your price gouging..

If you want a packaged for vaping type of rayon you could always get fiber freaks.. 2 measly grams for 6.00. It's not exactly what we are using but similar. I'd just get some Kotex u and call it a day.

What country are you from?

JeremyR

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Dec 29, 2012
Oregon, IL
Wow!!! That looks great!

Yeah it's kinda a little more trouble than a standard build.. Provides better air flow on this atty.. If maximum saturation is the goal it works well.. There's a lot of juice around the coil there, its intended to mimic the old cartomizers... We used to think they provided the best flavor..

JeremyR

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Dec 29, 2012
Oregon, IL
Beadalon wire is all coated and/or painted. Even the silver wire has clearcoat on most of what I saw. Having used Temco for years, never been disappointed.

Thanks for the info..

With temco providing 316l, it really isn't worth looking elsewhere imo.

kross8

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Feb 20, 2016
stuck in a squishy pod called my brain

tejas

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 22, 2013
East Texas
IMG_20160627_140408~01.jpg

Not a great picture, but this setup, and trimming the wick down to almost nothing, is working nicely on the Aromamizer. After 3 tanks, wick is not turning dark. With previous builds, it would have near black by now.... a vast improvement.

Kaezziel

Supreme Overlord of Everything
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 29, 2014
Houston, TX, USA
View attachment 571447

Not a great picture, but this setup, and trimming the wick down to almost nothing, is working nicely on the Aromamizer. After 3 tanks, wick is not turning dark. With previous builds, it would have near black by now.... a vast improvement.

Lookin' good, Brother! Makes me very happy to see the rayon workin' out for you! :thumbs:

tejas

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 22, 2013
East Texas
Lookin' good, Brother! Makes me very happy to see the rayon workin' out for you! :thumbs:

The one bad thing about rayon, is the fact that I tend to stockpile things. I have a lot of cotton, I'll probably never use. ;)

My wife's BFF was over this weekend. I am the only one she will allow to touch her coil/wick. She was due for a new wick, so I used rayon. She was immediately impressed. :thumb: (she's down to 2 stinkies a day :thumbs:)

Great progress, looking pretty good... Should be a lot if mileage left on that build. What coil parameters and power level did you end up with?

26g SS316L, 2.5mm, 9 wraps =.63 ohms. Placing the coil between the posts, allowed me use more wraps,and the wick falls naturally on the juice ports. I prefer single coils anyway.
It's on my SX Mini M, in TC mode, 35J, 325°F.

Kaezziel

Supreme Overlord of Everything
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 29, 2014
Houston, TX, USA
The one bad thing about rayon, is the fact that I tend to stockpile things. I have a lot of cotton, I'll probably never use. ;)

My wife's BFF was over this weekend. I am the only one she will allow to touch her coil/wick. She was due for a new wick, so I used rayon. She was immediately impressed. :thumb: (she's down to 2 stinkies a day :thumbs:)

Just give all the cotton to the wife. I'm sure she'll find a use for it. ;)

That's awesome! Keep upgradin' her vape like that, and she'll drop those last 2 stinkies in no time! :D

TrollDragon

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Dec 3, 2014
NS, Canada
View attachment 571447

How do you get airflow to that coil?

tejas

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 22, 2013
East Texas

halfempty

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 25, 2014
Miami, FL
To be honest, I hadn't given that any thought, but I know it works. Went looking for the answer, and found this... Aromamizer RDTA Building skills,Aromamizer RDTA
If you look through the images, you'll see I'm not the first person to use this method on the Aromamizer. :)
I like single coils so I've been building my Aromamizer that way since I got it. The only difference is that I angle the coil a little to one side, like a Z coil. Don't really know if it makes any difference, that's just the way I started doing it.

The chimney funnels into the top tube right above the posts, and the air holes are below the coil when it's high like that, so the only way the air can get to the tube is through the coil. Not entirely positive that's the way it really works, but it sounds good so I'm sticking with it. ;)

TrollDragon

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Dec 3, 2014
NS, Canada
To be honest, I hadn't given that any thought, but I know it works. Went looking for the answer, and found this... Aromamizer RDTA Building skills,Aromamizer RDTA
If you look through the images, you'll see I'm not the first person to use this method on the Aromamizer. :)
What ever works, it's all good! :thumbs:
Some cool looking builds there. I don't know about the alien coil in the 11th row below the build on the yellow mod.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread