Rayon Wick - Better Flow, Flavor, Longevity, and Nic Hit!! - Pt.2

Status
Not open for further replies.

f1vefour

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Dec 3, 2013
Emerald Coast
We will still have plenty of action here in this thread I'm sure ;)

On Topic.

I have about 15ml through my tank currently on my TC|NET|SS|Rayon longevity test. Still vaping like a champ.

*edit*
It is not vaping like a champ any more, it's just not. Looks like it's going to be about 18ml before it gets too funky to vape. I had high hopes but TC doesn't seem to help longevity of this particular NET (it's quite a gunker). I will take pictures before rewicking.

Last edited:

Nick N

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 8, 2014
Columbus, Ohio
Pancake wick on the Subtank Mini v2

28 gauge Kanthal
3mm spaced coil @ 1.25 ohms

06d2973daa27efcaa31ade5b0f97edae.jpg

Yep, 75 watt update on the Evic VTC Mini. Don't try that on the Subtank Mini! This build is 25-30 watts. [emoji6]

f76e3f63531dad455b7be4a34ea04fe7.jpg

Coil sitting low on the deck

e1afbd6f2408b32f22e8b5ba760d140a.jpg

Wicked with rayon of course, cut short and still dry.

3596d6d4eb56f0a32fbab3358cd65e2f.jpg

Paint some juice on, fanning the wick against the deck and coil. I trim the top but you don't have to. The v1 deck requires the sleeve and top to be screwed on, with the v2 you screw the top on beforehand and drop the sleeve down and tighten the screw.

2afcdbcc7b964c6ae5394ceab673d1b3.jpg

Top view with sleeve on and top cap off. Lots of room between the fanned wick and the sleeve.

90501575cadb5d999e18b847cdc5a733.jpg

Ready to vape! No leaks or dry hits here with 65vg/35pg juice.

cigatron

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
May 14, 2014
clinton ar
Probably need a little more power, you'll need more because the coils more saturated. Its flooding juice to the coil.

Typically a bump of 3-5w is recommended.

Added to op.

That would make perfect sense for a kanthal build but I'm using temp control set to 47.5w. It hovers at around 30w while vaping so there's plenty of power available right?

atroph

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 23, 2014
Chesapeake, VA
Pancake wick on the Subtank Mini v2

28 gauge Kanthal
3mm spaced coil @ 1.25 ohms

06d2973daa27efcaa31ade5b0f97edae.jpg

Yep, 75 watt update on the Evic VTC Mini. Don't try that on the Subtank Mini! This build is 25-30 watts. [emoji6]

f76e3f63531dad455b7be4a34ea04fe7.jpg

Coil sitting low on the deck

e1afbd6f2408b32f22e8b5ba760d140a.jpg

Wicked with rayon of course, cut short and still dry.

3596d6d4eb56f0a32fbab3358cd65e2f.jpg

Paint some juice on, fanning the wick against the deck and coil. I trim the top but you don't have to. The v1 deck requires the sleeve and top to be screwed on, with the v2 you screw the top on beforehand and drop the sleeve down and tighten the screw.

2afcdbcc7b964c6ae5394ceab673d1b3.jpg

Top view with sleeve on and top cap off. Lots of room between the fanned wick and the sleeve.

90501575cadb5d999e18b847cdc5a733.jpg

Ready to vape! No leaks or dry hits here with 65vg/35pg juice.

Interesting... I thought you had to wick those holes like the factory heads that were horizontal. From the looks of your build they seem to be wide open. Right?

Nick N

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 8, 2014
Columbus, Ohio
Interesting... I thought you had to wick those holes like the factory heads that were horizontal. From the looks of your build they seem to be wide open. Right?
Correct. The rayon is fanned out like a flower (or pancake) and none of the wick is touching the sleeve. Those holes are wide open and when you fill the tank and put it right side up there are giant air bubbles coming out as the juice fills the RBA. Since the wick essentially creates a wall it won't allow the juice to get through and come out the air holes in the base. I have not tried this method with anything other than the setup in my post, but I do plan to try it with temp control when my titanium wire shows up. I would be curious what it would be like with cotton or KGD.

JeremyR

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Dec 29, 2012
Oregon, IL
That would make perfect sense for a kanthal build but I'm using temp control set to 47.5w. It hovers at around 30w while vaping so there's plenty of power available right?

Its the same concept, but your controlling temperature. Set the temp so you get 33w or so. Try going up by 10 degrees it should be about 33w. Or 20 if you wanna see what it can do with a power lung.

Last edited:
Reactions: TrollDragon

atroph

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 23, 2014
Chesapeake, VA
Ended up throwing in the towel at 60+ mL. Flavor dropped off and was getting a tad harsh. When I pulled the wick all the sugars had gathered near the end of the wick and it was a browish goo. Either way it did really good for a 20% flavor diy mix across three different juice flavors. Could have easily gone longer, but I was starting to lose the fruit and graham cracker from my cheesecake juice.

b78b4270f6c09945a5ff9d5978f8ca1b.jpg

cf545cbbbfa71958f5ffe1b50f094ee9.jpg

d31a811cfe48a419143186773f79a6e6.jpg

Sent from my 0PJA2 using Tapatalk

TrollDragon

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Dec 3, 2014
NS, Canada
The Rose V2 is very easy to wick with Rayon.
Built with a 0.4 ohm 26g Ti Coil.
YOhW7QQl.jpg

Rayon pulled through the opposing juice channels.
Xck5wjfl.jpg

Wick is split in half to fill both juice channels. They must have designed it with two channels for use with a silica wick folded in two, since the Rose is from that era.
2fHDbMel.jpg

Wick trimmed to the edge of the chimney threads and primed with juice.
uAizomQl.jpg

Tank filled, juice control adjusted till you just start to feel resistance then backed off 1/4 turn.
Vaping very nicely at 450F/35J :thumbs:
MUxejGyl.jpg

JeremyR

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Dec 29, 2012
Oregon, IL
Ended up throwing in the towel at 60+ mL. Flavor dropped off and was getting a tad harsh. When I pulled the wick all the sugars had gathered near the end of the wick and it was a browish goo. Either way it did really good for a 20% flavor diy mix across three different juice flavors. Could have easily gone longer, but I was starting to lose the fruit and graham cracker from my cheesecake juice.

b78b4270f6c09945a5ff9d5978f8ca1b.jpg

cf545cbbbfa71958f5ffe1b50f094ee9.jpg

d31a811cfe48a419143186773f79a6e6.jpg

Sent from my 0PJA2 using Tapatalk

It looked like just a little discolored juice. You'd be surprised what just flooding it with some fresh juice and lightly wiping the top of the coil does.

I wanted to get a closer look at the photos and I edited them so I could see the condition better.

For 60ml of heavy flavored juice it still looks really good. I'm not seeing any real gunking there, a little discoloration on the wick in certain spots. Really white from the side.

The dark at the edge looks like its from condensation running down the chamber walls. If the wick touches the chamber it will happen. And it is brown and carmelized looking.

Was the wick sticking up like that on the bottom side of the top pic. It looks like the darkest spot, and since it was the imbalance it darkened.

I would have trimmed it up to take care of some issues with touching the wall, and that dark piece sticking up to correct the imbalance.. Then squirted the dark spots with fresh juice soaked it all good, wiped the coil, and kept going. I'm pretty sure your flavor would have came back. Maybe try next time.

You'd be surprised once issues with the wick are fixed it will suddenly clear itself up and start running clean.

Last edited:

atroph

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 23, 2014
Chesapeake, VA
It looked like just a little discolored juice. You'd be surprised what just flooding it with some fresh juice and lightly wiping the top of the coil does.

I wanted to get a closer look at the photos and I edited them so I could see the condition better.

For 60ml of heavy flavored juice it still looks really good. I'm not seeing any real gunking there, a little discoloration on the wick in certain spots. Really white from the side.

The dark at the edge looks like its from condensation running down the chamber walls. If the wick touches the chamber it will happen. And it is brown and carmelized looking.

Was the wick sticking up like that on the bottom side of the top pic. It looks like the darkest spot, and since it was the imbalance it darkened.

I would have trimmed it up to take care of some issues with touching the wall, and that dark piece sticking up to correct the imbalance.. Then squirted the dark spots with fresh juice soaked it all good, wiped the coil, and kept going. I'm pretty sure your flavor would have came back. Maybe try next time.

You'd be surprised once issues with the wick are fixed it will suddenly clear itself up and start running clean.

Thanks for the enhancements, I uploaded them from tapatalk and for some reason the photo editor has disappeared from the app.

The wick was just as it shows in the pics.

Looking at the amount of white that was left in the tails and center section I am sure it could have went much much longer, but I could tell a difference and can't leave stuff alone. Plus I can rewick rather quickly so the downtime is not really an issue.

Thanks for the tips and I'll try and leave it for a little longer next time.

Kingboomer

ECF Veteran
Oct 19, 2013
Commerce City, CO
OK so I pulled my wick...

went to fill my aqua and popped the coil. To make matters worse, I'm out of kanthal, except for a 3 inch piece of 26 gauge. I wound up using that and wrapped a .8 ohm coil with it. Not much on legs to work with, but I managed to get it mounted and wicked, and it's firing like a dream at 20w :D. So in other words, I'm back to square 1 as far as the 100ml club. I WILL MAKE IT THIS TIME!!!

-Kingboomer

Reactions: Thayamax

Mad Scientist

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 11, 2013
Smokestack, PA, USA
FWIW I gave this a shot when I wicked, and I gotta say it's really delivering the goods:

Now, I'm not a huge Rip Trippers fan, and I might get a good thrashing for posting his vid, but the technique is sound IMHO. Anyone else try this?

-Kingboomer

Have tried it and use it for drippers. Does seem to work great on drippers. Not so good on tanks.

And in usual rip trippers fashion, it's not his idea but he ends up getting credit for it.

JeremyR

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Dec 29, 2012
Oregon, IL
Thanks for the enhancements, I uploaded them from tapatalk and for some reason the photo editor has disappeared from the app.

The wick was just as it shows in the pics.

Looking at the amount of white that was left in the tails and center section I am sure it could have went much much longer, but I could tell a difference and can't leave stuff alone. Plus I can rewick rather quickly so the downtime is not really an issue.

Thanks for the tips and I'll try and leave it for a little longer next time.

Great atroph, I was hoping I didn't come off negatively.

What you will be looking for is to identify and fix the issues as soon as they are visable in the wick. Probably after the first couple days if you see darkening signs identify and correct the issue. This will help you avoided much of the darkening you got on that wick and enabled you to probably make it close to 100ml.

TrollDragon

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Dec 3, 2014
NS, Canada
Have tried it and use it for drippers. Does seem to work great on drippers. Not so good on tanks.

And in usual rip trippers fashion, it's not his idea but he ends up getting credit for it.
I watched cheesebanana do it first and he does give him credit at the start of the video.

JeremyR

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Dec 29, 2012
Oregon, IL
FWIW I gave this a shot when I wicked, and I gotta say it's really delivering the goods:

Now, I'm not a huge Rip Trippers fan, and I might get a good thrashing for posting his vid, but the technique is sound IMHO. Anyone else try this?

-Kingboomer

So rolling a wick has a name now.... Lol

Yeah I do that especially reusing Rayon scraps. Or dealing with pieces that need to be evened out. I actually posted a video where I did that 6 months before his, not thinking it was anything special, Lol. And 5 before the other.. just didn't give it a name like chimney I guess... Just sayin' ;)

I likened it to a rolled herbal cigarette instead of a pastry roll. And by looking at him you think he wouldn't have missed the resemblance. Lol

My videos are just no where near the studio he has.. But it works well with straight Rayon at any time for an even Wick.

I do like to spread it out and roll it up. It gives a more even density many times. The technique is recommended.

Trophy wife juice.. Wonder what that tastes like...oh wait I already know that.. Lol sorry wheres @tchavei when you need him..

I watched cheesebanana do it first and he does give him credit at the start of the video.
He gave credit, wow I'm impressed.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread