Status
Not open for further replies.

awsum140

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 12, 2012
Sitting down, facing forward.
My method is to pull off what I think will fit from a piece, I use Graham (Sally's). All of my coils are 3mm so it's gotten very easy to judge what I need. I then roll it between my hands to get everything nicely aligned and even. Then I "massage" it, running two fingers, thumb and forefinger, along the length. This tends to remove those thick spots. If necessary, I'll rol lit between my palms again. Then twist one end up into a needle and wick away. I "stabilize" the input side of the coil with a thumbnail, if needed, or even twist or stretch it as I pull it through. Basic trim, wet with liquid, trim to suit, fill up and vape away.

cigatron

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
May 14, 2014
clinton ar
My method is to pull off what I think will fit from a piece, I use Graham (Sally's). All of my coils are 3mm so it's gotten very easy to judge what I need. I then roll it between my hands to get everything nicely aligned and even. Then I "massage" it, running two fingers, thumb and forefinger, along the length. This tends to remove those thick spots. If necessary, I'll rol lit between my palms again. Then twist one end up into a needle and wick away. I "stabilize" the input side of the coil with a thumbnail, if needed, or even twist or stretch it as I pull it through. Basic trim, wet with liquid, trim to suit, fill up and vape away.

Ditto, except I only roll it between my fingers. My palms get sweaty/salty very quickly after washing my hands.

Stoneface

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 12, 2013
New York
To you, and to all - I'm sure this has been discussed somewhere in the 7000+ page thread, but I have a question.

Rayon fibers are VERY different than cotton fibers. With cotton, it seems every fiber is even, straight, same length, width, etc. While with rayone, ever bit of it seems cockeyed and uneven.

View attachment 718033

As this is the case with these fibers, I find it difficult at times to wick it. It will start off fine, then BOOM, it hangs or snags because of a fat piece (different width) that simply won't go thru the coil.

Yes, I twist. Mamma mia, I'd put Chubby Checker to shame at this point in my vape "career".

Any uber simple suggestions to get the fibers all aligned and even and non-pudgy in spots? :eek:
Which type of rayon are you using? Are you using the Graham's? It can make a difference in the answer, I think. :)

Fozzy71

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 7, 2016
8 Mile + 2.5
To you, and to all - I'm sure this has been discussed somewhere in the 7000+ page thread, but I have a question.

Rayon fibers are VERY different than cotton fibers. With cotton, it seems every fiber is even, straight, same length, width, etc. While with rayone, ever bit of it seems cockeyed and uneven.

View attachment 718033

As this is the case with these fibers, I find it difficult at times to wick it. It will start off fine, then BOOM, it hangs or snags because of a fat piece (different width) that simply won't go thru the coil.

Yes, I twist. Mamma mia, I'd put Chubby Checker to shame at this point in my vape "career".

Any uber simple suggestions to get the fibers all aligned and even and non-pudgy in spots? :eek:

Try 'drafting' the fibers, as below in bold:

I then roll it between my hands to get everything nicely aligned and even. Then I "massage" it, running two fingers, thumb and forefinger, along the length. This tends to remove those thick spots. If necessary, I'll rol lit between my palms again

I do the same as above. Roll it, stretch or draft it (you want your pinching fingers close together so you dont break the strand in 2), then twist it down some as I feed it through.

This might help, even though not rayon or vape related:

Katdarling

I'm still here on ECF... sort of. ;)
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 25, 2011
Utopia
awsum140, cigatron, Stone o' Face, and Fozzy, you've all been more than helpful and your info is greatly appreciated.

Yes, I'm a Sally's gal, but I think what I've been missing is to spend a little more time with the rolling (and massaging). I guess part of the frustration causes me to just twist til that poor little wick til it's like a spring about to get sprung!

I shall pay more attention and give the little fibers a bit more time and love.

Thank you guys. Muchly.

Fozzy, I'm guessing the spinner also winds your coils, eh? ;)

Wouldn't it be loverly to HAVE some little mechanism where one could just feed in wire and rayon, then out pops a perfectly wicked coil. Like a juicer. :blink:

Fozzy71

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 7, 2016
8 Mile + 2.5
awsum140, cigatron, Stone o' Face, and Fozzy, you've all been more than helpful and your info is greatly appreciated.

Yes, I'm a Sally's gal, but I think what I've been missing is to spend a little more time with the rolling (and massaging). I guess part of the frustration causes me to just twist til that poor little wick til it's like a spring about to get sprung!

I shall pay more attention and give the little fibers a bit more time and love.

Thank you guys. Muchly.

Fozzy, I'm guessing the spinner also winds your coils, eh? ;)

Wouldn't it be loverly to HAVE some little mechanism where one could just feed in wire and rayon, then out pops a perfectly wicked coil. Like a juicer. :blink:

Although I've been using rayon on and off for a few months, I also had the same difficulties Kdarling had. So, the last several posts have been very useful... and somewhat erotic, I have to say.

haha, I wish I could find the video I saw some years ago about 'drafting' cotton or rayon wicks. I hold my pinching fingers very close together and give a slight pull, then move my fingers a little down the wick and repeat. This supposedly straightens out the fibers and thins down the wick a bit. I still need to thin the tip to thread the coil, and twist it some as I pull through to make sure it is tight and squeaky, but it does seem to help from what I remember of the days before I started doing it. The wick doesn't seem to bunch up as bad/thick on the back end of the coil once wicked which makes trimming the tails a bit easier.

bratz

Dec 27, 2015
Tried rayon today. Taste wise its nearly the same as when using Muji cotton. Does seems cleaner though. Using Sally's. Divide into half and twisted it to fit in a 2.5mm coil. Squeak it did. No idea if it can be thicker. Will stay on rayon and keep the Muji. Like the idea of twisting it to squeeze in a coil. Noticed that with cotton , will get a smelly sock taste if over wick.

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

cigatron

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
May 14, 2014
clinton ar
Tried rayon today. Taste wise its nearly the same as when using Muji cotton. Does seems cleaner though. Using Sally's. Divide into half and twisted it to fit in a 2.5mm coil. Squeak it did. No idea if it can be thicker. Will stay on rayon and keep the Muji. Like the idea of twisting it to squeeze in a coil. Noticed that with cotton , will get a smelly sock taste if over wick.

Glad you're giving it a try. Welcome to the thread!

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
I'm actually kind of shocked at how much I was OVER-wicking honestly. When I set up my ares, I used what I considered "not enough" by a fair margin, but I kept remembering my rayon wick breaking in my coils due to overstuffing, and carried on. It's fine. I've even dropped it and it hasn't leaked. It's rather nice.... I was fully prepared to pull it out almost immediately... I mean, it had SOME resistance in the coil if tugged, but not much. Second full tankful and it's still doing fine. I think rayon has a bit of forgiveness either way, but I was pretty surprised. So I will be doing a lot less "rolling and stuffing" than previously. I really think my wick was probably just right, or at the lowest end of "just right."

Anna

TrollDragon

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Dec 3, 2014
NS, Canada
Had my first experience with medical Rayon (pill bottle) today and it is very similar to dm Viskose but better quality. Kind of makes the old Cellucotton (Sally's) look like torn up old rags. :oops: There was quite a large clump in the bottle but unfortunately there's not enough of it to rewick all my attys. :lol:

mackman

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 19, 2013
NorCal
I'm actually kind of shocked at how much I was OVER-wicking honestly. When I set up my ares, I used what I considered "not enough" by a fair margin, but I kept remembering my rayon wick breaking in my coils due to overstuffing, and carried on. It's fine. I've even dropped it and it hasn't leaked. It's rather nice.... I was fully prepared to pull it out almost immediately... I mean, it had SOME resistance in the coil if tugged, but not much. Second full tankful and it's still doing fine. I think rayon has a bit of forgiveness either way, but I was pretty surprised. So I will be doing a lot less "rolling and stuffing" than previously. I really think my wick was probably just right, or at the lowest end of "just right."

Anna

Something to consider:
Wick experiment

bratz

Dec 27, 2015
Thanks Rayonati for your thoughts on over wicking. I went with the advise of "more than what u thought is too much for cotton in the coil" but have yet to follow the "much less in the tail for cotton" to make rayon work advised in the first few post of this thread. I did not thin any at all for the tails.

Will try 1/3 width next wicking. Lets see how long the current one last.

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 2, 2013
BC Canada
I don't get any popping and crackling, and I don't get dry hits.

The only time I get some popping is when the atty sits for days in a stand then onto a mod then vape, some crackle but its only for a moment. I haven't had a wick related dryhit in ages so long I forgot the last time. Running the atty down then getting a drier not so normal vape to notice juice level is too low is the closest to dryhit I've had.
My 29 gauge and others fine clapton wrap wire arrived from the UK finally. I'm really enjoying the 29/34 clapton, a 1.4Ω 5 wrap fits good in the STM rba. Running at 14 watts, much longer life of my batts too.

Lets see how long the current one last
Your rayon is going to way outlast the coil. The coil will cocoon up long before any performance drop of the rayon. Depends on your style but with me...the coil burns one day, open it up to a thick coil cocoon, pull then rinse the rayon and its barely browned lookin like it can be reused.

madstabber

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 20, 2013
Concoction Creating Cave
rayon:

is dangerous to use. has chemicals processed do not use to vape.

Me is Pd out
Do you really believe that it’s dangerous? If so please elaborate, this is my health we’re talking about here and I’d never do anything to negatively impact my health. As soon as the scientists figured out smoking was bad, I quit and started vaping. So please for the love of god, enlighten me because if I need to stop using rayon, I’d like to do so as soon as possible. Quit holding out, puff puff give.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread