Status
Not open for further replies.

cigatron

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
May 14, 2014
clinton ar
Mornin @awsum140 . There you go, saying all the right things again.:thumb:
I'll add that when I used RTAs the maximum allowable coil size vs. wick channel size was always a consideration when purchasing them. If the juice channels were so big that couldn't thin the wick tails I'd pass on the purchase.

Fozzy71

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 7, 2016
8 Mile + 2.5
Ok. I keep reading and hearing about the squonkers.
A few years ago, I got a REO and wasn't crazy about it. juice pooling on the top of the well, getting the smell out of the bottle when I changed flavors... But it was a great mod otherwise.
So, if I was interested in trying the squonking thing again, what should I get?

For a single battery regulated squonk the best options right now are the VT Inbox v3 or Hotcig/Rigmod RSQ. I got 2 x RSQ on the way to go with my 2 x pulse and 1 x athena mech squonks. Vandy Vape just started teasing a Pulse 80w box with the Gene chip that I will surely buy a couple of once they release after Chinese new year.

Sloth Tonight

CF Moderator
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 25, 2014
NY
Ok. I keep reading and hearing about the squonkers.
A few years ago, I got a REO and wasn't crazy about it. Juice pooling on the top of the well, getting the smell out of the bottle when I changed flavors... But it was a great mod otherwise.
So, if I was interested in trying the squonking thing again, what should I get?
Neither of those things are problems with reos, so not sure what to tell you. The bottles youre talking about cost 65 cents so get one for each juice and problem solved there. Juice pooling at the top of the well? The point of squonking is excess juice drains for perfectly saturated hits. Sounds like it was overwicked and not draining properly.

Two easily solved issues for any squonk mod. Silicone bottles squonk better and dont retain flavor after an alcohol rinse so I use those these days.

Lots of people use cheap chinese squonkers and can maybe recommend one. I use these: but they are expensive.

cigatron

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
May 14, 2014
clinton ar
What about DNA powered squonkers?

The VT Inbox V3 Fozzy mentioned is a DNA75 powered squonker. Personally I prefer the DNA75C chips over the older 75's. No escribe program needed and the latest firmware allows for 100w preheat. There's a few good DNA75C squonkers out there now.

markfm

Aussie Pup Wrangler
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 9, 2010
Beautiful Baldwinsville (CNY)
TonyB showed the exterior of the pulse regulated on his latest video (Live From The Vandy Vape Booth). Nice to see, it'll be a certain buy for me, too, though his explanation of batteries was off (Tony doesn't claim to be technical; a 16A CDR 20700b isn't a good choice for sustained 66W output, especially after electronics efficiency losses).

Rule of thumb, how much output power for each battery in a regulated mod = 3xCDR, where CDR = the Contiuous Discharge Rate (from Mooch's tests)

15A = 45W, 20A = 60W, 25A = 75W, 30A = 90W

For multi-battery mods, multiply by the # of batteries. A 2 battery mod gets 90W, 120W, 150W, 180W

Last edited:

Sloth Tonight

CF Moderator
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 25, 2014
NY
I thin the tails on my RDAs MORE than any other type of atty so it slurps juice at high speed until the juice well goes dry. That helps keep the flavor the same for more pulls before having to drip or squonk. Try it.
I do thin, I just didn't think it was doing anything really. What youre saying makes perfect sense though. I thin em like a mad sloth because they look better and I have always been a "less is more" wicker with any material for squonking as excess can cause excess juice to pool in the well (like the post I responded to above, that was 99% likely the draining problem).

cigatron

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
May 14, 2014
clinton ar
I do thin, I just didn't think it was doing anything really. What youre saying makes perfect sense though. I thin em like a mad sloth because they look better and I have always been a "less is more" wicker with any material for squonking as excess can cause excess juice to pool in the well (like the post I responded to above, that was 99% likely the draining problem).

Ok, I get that but I'm into deep juice wells and elevated squonk pins (not flush with the bottom of the juice well). With regular or squonk RDAs I want juice to pool in the well so I only have to squonk or drip every 8-10 pulls at 100w. I thin the tails to speed up the juice flow to the coil during and after the vape YES, but also to regulate the amount of juice in the coil. The thinner the tails the more juice is left in the coil because thicker tails will draw juice backwards (out of the coil) as the juice level in the well drops. I look at it as a juice flow control, keeping the same amount of coil saturation as I use up the juice in the well. It's not perfect but really helps to keep the flavor and wetness of the vape consistent. I usually end up trimming off about 80% of the tail to get this effect.
Squonking purists are probably rolling their eyes reading this because they insist on back-sucking every bit of juice out of the well. All that causes is squonking after every pull or two....squonk, squonk, squonk, squonk, squonk.............no thanks.

Last edited:

Sloth Tonight

CF Moderator
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 25, 2014
NY
Ok, I get that but I'm into deep juice wells and elevated squonk pins (not flush with the bottom of the juice well). With regular or squonk RDAs I want juice to pool in the well so I only have to squonk or drip every 8-10 pulls at 100w. I thin the tails to speed up the juice flow to the coil during and after the vape YES, but also to regulate the amount of juice in the coil. The thinner the tails the more juice is left in the coil because thicker tails will draw juice backwards (out of the coil) as the juice level in the well drops. I look at it as a juice flow control, keeping the same amount of coil saturation as I use up the juice in the well. It's not perfect but really helps to keep the flavor and wetness of the vape consistent. I usually end up trimming off about 80% of the tail to get this effect.
Squonking purists are probably rolling their eyes reading this because they insist on back-sucking every bit of juice out of the well. All that causes is squonking after every pull or two....squonk, squonk, squonk, squonk, squonk.............no thanks.
Yeah, I totally disagree with you, but to each their own :)

Eta you don't necessarily disagree with what I was saying though, fyi. An rda holding juice is different than juice being held by a thick wick (blocking or partially blocking the squonk pin) which is what I was referring to. There's a difference in bad RSA wicking and an RSA design that holds juice. The former has turned people away from squonking when its just user error. And that can work both ways too, if the wick chokes the pin it can also result in Dry hits.

Last edited:

cigatron

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
May 14, 2014
clinton ar
Yeah, I totally disagree with you, but to each their own :)

Eta you don't necessarily disagree with what I was saying though, fyi. An rda holding juice is different than juice being held by a thick wick (blocking or partially blocking the squonk pin) which is what I was referring to. There's a difference in bad RSA wicking and an RSA design that holds juice. The former has turned people away from squonking when its just user error. And that can work both ways too, if the wick chokes the pin it can also result in Dry hits.

I was definitely not disagreeing with you Sloth, just adding some info that may be useful to those who squonk at high power.:)

Sloth Tonight

CF Moderator
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 25, 2014
NY
I was definitely not disagreeing with you Sloth, just adding some info that may be useful to those who squonk at high power.:)
Which is great, as I don't generally vape above 60 at most, so that's valuable info to share :thumb:

Speaking of which - disagreeing with you was the wrong word - there was nothing to disagree with :D - rather just to say I differ in preference on the juice holding aspect. But yeah actually if I vaped at 100w, I'd probably want my RSA to hold some extra juice each squonk, for sure.

Katdarling

I'm still here on ECF... sort of. ;)
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 25, 2011
Utopia
I do believe that was sarcasm.

More like trying to stir the pot...

Please don't feed that stray cat, Kat.:lol:

Apologies abundant, guys, (sowwy) and not to worry - everything's gone into the recycling. ;)

upload_2018-2-11_11-22-57.jpeg

Heartsdelight

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Nov 10, 2015
Neither of those things are problems with reos, so not sure what to tell you. The bottles youre talking about cost 65 cents so get one for each juice and problem solved there. Juice pooling at the top of the well? The point of squonking is excess juice drains for perfectly saturated hits. Sounds like it was overwicked and not draining properly.

Two easily solved issues for any squonk mod. Silicone bottles squonk better and dont retain flavor after an alcohol rinse so I use those these days.

Lots of people use cheap chinese squonkers and can maybe recommend one. I use these: but they are expensive.

Fantastic vid @Sloth Tonight ! That is beautiful! Enjoy it!

cigatron

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
May 14, 2014
clinton ar
Which is great, as I don't generally vape above 60 at most, so that's valuable info to share :thumb:

Speaking of which - disagreeing with you was the wrong word - there was nothing to disagree with :D - rather just to say I differ in preference on the juice holding aspect. But yeah actually if I vaped at 100w, I'd probably want my RSA to hold some extra juice each squonk, for sure.

:toast: my friend.

madstabber

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 20, 2013
Concoction Creating Cave
I tried cotton today for the first time in my RTA. I bought some coils and they sent cotton so I figured I may as well try it at least once. Someone mentioned somewhere about cotton tasting like toilet paper smells(pre-use) and that was spot on. I’m lazy and didn’t want to rewick right away so I powered through hitting it trying to get past the nasty flavor. Very unpleasant but after 20 or so pulls it was mostly gone. Long story short rayon tastes like my juice which is why I mix it that way so I’m going back to rayon after this wick is up. The cotton isn’t bad now it’s just getting past that break-in was rough. Oh and rayon is easier to get how I like it so there’s that too. Looks like I’m gonna have to learn the secret handshake and make it official. Rayon4Life

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA
I tried cotton today for the first time in my RTA. I bought some coils and they sent cotton so I figured I may as well try it at least once. Someone mentioned somewhere about cotton tasting like toilet paper smells(pre-use) and that was spot on. I’m lazy and didn’t want to rewick right away so I powered through hitting it trying to get past the nasty flavor. Very unpleasant but after 20 or so pulls it was mostly gone. Long story short rayon tastes like my juice which is why I mix it that way so I’m going back to rayon after this wick is up. The cotton isn’t bad now it’s just getting past that break-in was rough. Oh and rayon is easier to get how I like it so there’s that too. Looks like I’m gonna have to learn the secret handshake and make it official. Rayon4Life

Cotton has its merits, but I like rayon for the flavor and longevity. Cotton doesn't seem to pop and crackle as much as rayon (if the rayon's not sized right), but in the long run rayon wins for me. I like the longer life of a rayon wick.

tedigram

ECF Veteran
Sep 14, 2015
Brooklyn
I'm having the damndest time getting my Crius II to wick flawlessly. It's the fact that the juice holes on the deck are so huge, it's impossible to thin the tails at all, much less 75% the way I'm used to with Rayon.

Even my Toptank Mini could be thinned to heck as long as you had a gauzy wisp over the juice holes, but with this deck design there's just no way. The holes need to be completely filled in order to prevent upwelling and leaks when you refill, and since the holes themselves are about 4-5mm across, I've got nothing to play with wicking a 3mm ID coil.

As a result I'm back to the bad old days of blackening tails and wick that's singing itself into two pieces in the center of the coil (double twist 28, semi-spaced), but can't see how I have any troubleshooting options since I can't trim the dang thing anymore!

The wick looks perfect in the coil, tight enough, no gaps, no shoulders whatsoever even untrimmed, but every time I open that chamber it's a horror show.

tl;dr Who's using rayon with the Crius II and how are you wicking it?

cigatron

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
May 14, 2014
clinton ar
I'm having the damndest time getting my Crius II to wick flawlessly. It's the fact that the juice holes on the deck are so huge, it's impossible to thin the tails at all, much less 75% the way I'm used to with Rayon.

Even my Toptank Mini could be thinned to heck as long as you had a gauzy wisp over the juice holes, but with this deck design there's just no way. The holes need to be completely filled in order to prevent upwelling and leaks when you refill, and since the holes themselves are about 4-5mm across, I've got nothing to play with wicking a 3mm ID coil.

As a result I'm back to the bad old days of blackening tails and wick that's singing itself into two pieces in the center of the coil (double twist 28, semi-spaced), but can't see how I have any troubleshooting options since I can't trim the dang thing anymore!

The wick looks perfect in the coil, tight enough, no gaps, no shoulders whatsoever even untrimmed, but every time I open that chamber it's a horror show.

tl;dr Who's using rayon with the Crius II and how are you wicking it?

Hopefully someone with a Crius 2 will chime in. Is there no way to fit a larger ID coil in there? If not, try reducing the number of wraps (shorter coils are better at not burning the wicks in the center).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread