Rayon Wick - Better Flow, Flavor, Longevity, and Nic Hit!! - Pt.2

Status
Not open for further replies.

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
Nope, it was funny. I am just pedantic about words really. When my kid was going through his cussing stage, I was more concerned he did it properly than much else.

Now that he's been immersed in pop and rap culture, forget it. I only listen to old rap, and his stuff is way above my pay grade. I have so given up and probably for the best, since like, some of that stuff is just horrible (I think).
Anna

Old Greybeard

ECF Veteran
Aug 31, 2018
Cumbria
www.e-cigarette-forum.com
When my kid was going through his cussing stage, I was more concerned he did it properly than much else.

Bizarrely, although I don't speak any foreign languages fluently, I do know how to swear in 3 or 4. It is useful when you need to "stealth swear". Unless of course, one of the people present speaks the language. The shock factor is then multiplied tenfold :ohmy:.

Rayon lesson for today

Don't buy an Aegis Legend, use it as an atomiser stand, wick the coil with Rayon, and trim the ends on the mod. Rayon is so fine and the silicon on the AL so "sticky", your mod ends looking as if it has psoriasis, dermatitis and dandruff. I cleaned most of it off before I took these photos 'cause I'm picky.

Oh yes, and don't set TC to NI with NI80 coils. I think I might have killed that build. Fortunately, I only got a small dry hit, the damage was done holding the display to see if the protection warning came up. BTW, it didn't, it seemed to think the coil was at 20 degrees ....

IMG_7178.JPG

IMG_7190.JPG

Rewicked, with the DI/DP method

IMG_7184.JPG

The Wasp and Dpro are spoiling me, the Hermetic is a good dripper but ....

AngeNZ

ShutterBug
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Contest Winner!
  • Mar 24, 2018
    New Zealand

kbeam418

ECF Veteran
    Mar 5, 2015
    Toledo,Oh
    Bizarrely, although I don't speak any foreign languages fluently, I do know how to swear in 3 or 4. It is useful when you need to "stealth swear". Unless of course, one of the people present speaks the language. The shock factor is then multiplied tenfold :ohmy:.

Rayon lesson for today

Don't buy an Aegis Legend, use it as an atomiser stand, wick the coil with Rayon, and trim the ends on the mod. Rayon is so fine and the silicon on the AL so "sticky", your mod ends looking as if it has psoriasis, dermatitis and dandruff. I cleaned most of it off before I took these photos 'cause I'm picky.

Oh yes, and don't set TC to NI with NI80 coils. I think I might have killed that build. Fortunately, I only got a small dry hit, the damage was done holding the display to see if the protection warning came up. BTW, it didn't, it seemed to think the coil was at 20 degrees ....

View attachment 796799
    View attachment 796801

Rewicked, with the DI/DP method

View attachment 796803

The Wasp and Dpro are spoiling me, the Hermetic is a good dripper but ....

Ha the ni mode is for ni200 not ni80! Granted the Aegis is not the greatest temp control device out there but I've never had it fry cotton with my 316 builds I find myself adjusting the temperature on it all the time.

Old Greybeard

ECF Veteran
    Aug 31, 2018
    Cumbria
    Ha the ni mode is for ni200 not ni80! Granted the Aegis is not the greatest temp control device out there but I've never had it fry cotton with my 316 builds I find myself adjusting the temperature on it all the time.
    Yep, lesson learned :w00t:.

Old Greybeard

ECF Veteran
    Aug 31, 2018
    Cumbria
    As far as TC goes, I've heard mixed things about different devices. The wick incident was pure idiocy on my part, as proved the mod had no way of sensing I had Ni80 in there, assumed it had Ni200, and failed accordingly. I use my Vaporesso, Aegis and Reuleaux in TC mode, and they perform pretty much the same with SS316L at a TCR of 92. My biggest TC gripe is my Modside, I really want to get that running in TC mode, but can't seem to upgrade it and as others have bricked theirs, it's something I don't want to risk.

Talking about gripes, after using Rayon for a bit, I'm actually quite frustrated. After weeks of use, my wicks are as clean and pure as the driven snow. I can change flavours at a whim, without difficult flavours like chocolate or orange lingering much. They bed in instantly, without that horrible linen taste. They don't singe or discolour. Once you get the technique right (DI is a wonderful revelation), it is a joy to work with. And it might be my imagination, but the taste is more focussed.

My SS316 coils are a different matter entirely :mad::confused:o_O:eek::(.

TrollDragon

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Dec 3, 2014
    NS, Canada
    As far as TC goes, I've heard mixed things about different devices. The wick incident was pure idiocy on my part, as proved the mod had no way of sensing I had Ni80 in there, assumed it had Ni200, and failed accordingly. I use my Vaporesso, Aegis and Reuleaux in TC mode, and they perform pretty much the same with SS316L at a TCR of 92. My biggest TC gripe is my Modside, I really want to get that running in TC mode, but can't seem to upgrade it and as others have bricked theirs, it's something I don't want to risk.

Talking about gripes, after using Rayon for a bit, I'm actually quite frustrated. After weeks of use, my wicks are as clean and pure as the driven snow. I can change flavours at a whim, without difficult flavours like chocolate or orange lingering much. They bed in instantly, without that horrible linen taste. They don't singe or discolour. Once you get the technique right (DI is a wonderful revelation), it is a joy to work with. And it might be my imagination, but the taste is more focussed.

My SS316 coils are a different matter entirely :mad::confused:o_O:eek::(.
    I only do TC on DNA devices these days, got tired of the half working, poorly implemented TC on the Chinese mass market mods. But any mod that will take Arctic Fox firmware does work quite well in TC with a few tweaks.

Rayonati will rewick out of sheer boredom, unlike the cotton users who rewick out of necessity every 3 days. :lol:

SS316L is different across all the manufacturers, too many variations in the composition. I have had the best results SS TC results with 430.

Old Greybeard

ECF Veteran
    Aug 31, 2018
    Cumbria
    Rayonati will rewick out of sheer boredom, unlike the cotton users who rewick out of necessity every 3 days. :lol:

My point exactly. If only I could find a coil material that doesn't gunk up. Finding black flakes in my atty top was discouraging to say the least.

Am tempted to pull the rayon out, burn off the gunk and see if I can re-wick the old rayon. Seems such a shame to waste it.

It has taken me years to deal effectively with my dandruff problem, and now I discover my atty suffers from it :(.

Hoggy

ECF Veteran
    Aug 6, 2013
    WI, USA
    I only do TC on DNA devices these days, got tired of the half working, poorly implemented TC on the Chinese mass market mods. But any mod that will take Arctic Fox firmware does work quite well in TC with a few tweaks.

Boy oh boy, do I ever hear that!!! I find newer devices are much better, but then again, I've stacked the deck by only searching out primarily mods that were reported excellent in temp control for my new crop (largely for FDA/governmental hoarding purposes). Ones like Voopoo, Vboy200, Smoant, etc. Even the Espion Solo was quite good in TC until it malfunctioned out prematurely after only a few months of intensively low use. :rolleyes:

Arctic Fox brought some mods out from TC death, but I gave away my rugged Evic Mini to a smoking friend (for 'vaping' something else, but just in case that helps him try it for nicotine at some point as well). It also made my Cuboid quite usable in TC. However my original RX200 wasn't as good in TC, even with AF - but I decided to toss it anyway as the display couldn't be seen and, quite frankly, I realized that I have practically no use cases for a mod with more than 2 batteries.

I'll especially say though, for TC mods, just avoid the likes of Smok/Koopor.. HORRIBLE TEMP CONTROL (and completely 100% non-existent for Koopor Mini)!!! On the positive points, all 3 are unfortunately seeming to prove rather durable despite my repeated hopes that they die off soon as often used beater mods (also Smok X-Cube II & Mini)... It's been almost 3 years. :( Perhaps I should just give up, and set those aside for after a vaping-nuclear holocaust. :lol:

Unfortunately I only have 3 DNA mods so far, but 2 are DNA75C and I don't want to get too many of those since I've heard those displays have a 'shelf life'..?? Is this, in fact, true without a doubt? And might anyone perhaps have any links that might back that up, for sure?

Last edited:

Hoggy

ECF Veteran
    Aug 6, 2013
    WI, USA
    My point exactly. If only I could find a coil material that doesn't gunk up. Finding black flakes in my atty top was discouraging to say the least.

If you do, let everybody know immediately! This is one point I tend to agree with some devoted cottonatti about, regarding wick life.. I usually find the coil needs cleaning long before the wick material needs changing, and at most I'll usually only put 0.5% sucralose in my mixes.

Am tempted to pull the rayon out, burn off the gunk and see if I can re-wick the old rayon. Seems such a shame to waste it.

Yeah, especially for places that have a hard time sourcing cheap rayon. One thing you could do when you're changing a wick is to take an old 'vape rag' and thoroughly wipe off the top of the coil chamber each time. Try to get it so you can see pure stainless steel (some discoloration is likely to remain in spots) - using either water and/or alcohol. For good measure, try to let the water/alcohol flow through the chimney if you don't have eliquid in a tank. Also to help keep gunking to a bare minimum, periodically take the glass off a tank and physically wipe any discoloration from juice remains -- I find that typically a discolored film will form inside a tank that doesn't come off via sheer water pouring through it (even hot).

You can also extend the life of round/twisted wire coils by wiping the top of the coil with a cloth as explained somewhere in one of these rayon threads (1st post of each "Part", IIRC?). I think they said it's best if the rag is wet with water and/or eliquid (I forget). I've switched to only using fused claptons these days, myself.

You might also consider going back to silica just for drippers. Especially when using multiple [braided, here] strands, it really isn't as bad as we remember it to be with ancient tanks. There are even silica in-place re-wicking techniques that you can tailor to your specific silica width. (i.e. I found using eye-of-the-needle looped technique with Fasttech 2mm braided silica strands: 2mm ID coil for 2 braided strands total, and 3mm ID coil for 4 braided strands total worked best.)

Last edited:

Rossum

Eleutheromaniac
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Dec 14, 2013
    SE PA
    I don't get bored easily, so I only re-wick when I get the sense that it's actually needed. :blush:

But last summer, I started keeping a log of my atty maintenance.

My ADV mod that gets ~3-4ml of unflavored through it per day (every day!) got re-wicked once in July, once In August (when it got a new coil too), once in October, once in December, and twice in January (I cut the tails too short the first time in January). Last time I did anything other than fill the bottle and pop in a fresh battery (daily) was on January 10th.

My second-most used mod (that runs about 1 ml of lighly flavored "apple pie" DIY per day) has gotten re-wicked once in November.

I have other mods that get hit here and there, but they average only a fraction of a milliliter each day and they've had zero maintenance since last summer. No wait, there's one that got a new coil in October due to a hotspot in the old coil. It was 3 strands twisted and one of the strands was broken. Not the wick's fault.

To channel Jeremy: Rayon wick is the best wick! :banana:

Rossum

Eleutheromaniac
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Dec 14, 2013
    SE PA
    Unfortunately I only have 3 DNA mods so far, but 2 are DNA75C and I don't want to get too many of those since I've heard those displays have a 'shelf life'..?? Is this, in fact, true without a doubt?
    I interpret "Shelf life" to mean, "We're pretty confident it will still be good after sitting on the shelf that long", not "It's likely to be NFG once that time has passed."

That said, I use mech squonkers, so I don't worry "shelf life" of components. :D

Rossum

Eleutheromaniac
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Dec 14, 2013
    SE PA
    I just got a bag of Tidi balls to try, 2000 puff balls , longer strands almost seems like a different fiber:vapor:
    Tidi balls have been my go-to since mid 2014, when I got a bag of 1000 large ones:

Ln4YAGi.jpg

RXeum8w.jpg

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread