Rayon Wick - Better Flow, Flavor, Longevity, and Nic Hit!! - Pt.2

Status
Not open for further replies.

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA
I'm about 2 years into my first box of Sally's Cellucotton and it's maybe 3/4 gone. I just cut off a short length about the size I need to make a wick, split it into several lengthwise sections and put all but one back into the box. Next box will be put into a plastic bag, then back into the box.

I never really thought about airborne contaminants getting into my Rayon, but it makes sense. Cooking odors and other airborne contaminates are definitely in the air at times. I keep my Sally's box in a cabinet in the laundry room. When I walk in I can sense the perfume from laundry soap, so there's good reason to keep it sealed up.

Last edited:

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA
I cut mine into 25' lengths. Each length is in a baggie. I keep a working length coiled up in a seal-able jar. Amazing how long the 25' length lasts, like forever. :)

The Sally's box I bought was 40' long. It's been at least 2 years, maybe 3 and I think I have enough left for half of 2019. I tend to save the scraps that can be used. Cutting and bagging the leftover cutoffs conserves more for future use, especially if you cut the right way.

markfm

Aussie Pup Wrangler
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 9, 2010
Beautiful Baldwinsville (CNY)
On the flavor change front, I squonk and my all day vape is a diy light vanilla blend. At night I often change to dripping an orange pineapple creamsicle (OM Arcadia), then switch back to squonking vanilla. No problems doing this across multiple days, the flavors clear fairly quickly.

Fidola13

Totally Stashed!
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 20, 2017
Boston
I keep my Sally’s box on open shelving in my family room. I haven’t noticed any off flavors from odors etc... but I guess it’s a good idea to at least cover the opening to keep dust and cat hair out!! Honestly I’ve never seen cat hair in it and she’s got dark hair so I think I would. But allergens , pollens etc,,.can definitely settle on the open box. Not sure why I never thought of this myself.

vapdivrr

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 8, 2012
sarasota,fl
So, one thing was has always puzzled me about the rayon. (And I've used it a couple of times, and had the same experience about the wicks being clean.)
When I want to change flavors: do I just rinse the atty/coil/wick and let it dry or what?
Not sure if anyone really does that or if its actually a good idea. Usually if you've been vaping that coil a little, that gunk probably wont just rinse off and getting rayon or cotton wet and letting dry may not be good either. There are however a few wicking materials that are done that way and at the same time you can dry burn the coil. Silica, ceramic rope, and ss mesh wicks all could simply be dry burned without removing the wicking material (ss mesh wicks are the wicks, so there is nothing else). Those type of wicks were super easy to maintain, but not used much since cotton and rayon became popular. So imo anytime you want to clean your coil, you rewick with new rayon and for changing flavors, either let it blend with old flavor or rewick completely

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

mjag

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 8, 2014
United States
Just picked this up at Sally's but the box is different than I remember, is this the right one? It is NOT reinforced, know enough not to buy that one.

cf5b5a303217ed8e0ab2ff0ebc1913a3.jpg

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Edit: pic not coming through via Tapatalk, is it working for anyone else?

Heartsdelight

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Nov 10, 2015
Just picked this up at Sally's but the box is different than I remember, is this the right one? It is NOT reinforced, know enough not to buy that one.

cf5b5a303217ed8e0ab2ff0ebc1913a3.jpg

Maybe they changed the packaging? It does say rayon. It even has the same sku #.

vincom

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 19, 2014
Philippines
Maybe they changed the packaging? It does say rayon. It even has the same sku #.
yup, u gotta change the packaging colors for whatever the corporate reason marketing bs.
its the same as the blue colored box, youre good to go

mjag

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 8, 2014
United States
Yeah, that's what I was thinking, change the color of the box to better differentiate the cotton from the rayon?

BillW50

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 23, 2014
US

Yes got the pic. And yes it is rayon thank goodness.

44043 is the the 100% rayon in 3lbs, $14 at Sally's...
Rayon wick, better flow, flavor, saturation and Nic Hit!

mjag

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 8, 2014
United States
First thing I noticed was how fast the juice saturates into the rayon, noticeably faster than cotton. Tried it on the rebirth rda first as I hadn't built on it yet and so far so good. Then decided to try it on the Profile RTA which is a finicky tank to wick. Didn't thin it out and ran my wicks a little longer than I would with cotton bacon. The amount I used would have given me dry hits with cotton above 60 to 65 watts but was able to hit it at 80 watts no prob but not chain vape, at 75 watts chain vape city.

Always planned to pick up rayon to try out, wish I would have done so earlier [emoji106]

DancingHeretik

Dancing in the Chaos
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 20, 2011
San Antonio, TX
First thing I noticed was how fast the juice saturates into the rayon, noticeably faster than cotton. Tried it on the rebirth rda first as I hadn't built on it yet and so far so good. Then decided to try it on the Profile RTA which is a finicky tank to wick. Didn't thin it out and ran my wicks a little longer than I would with cotton bacon. The amount I used would have given me dry hits with cotton above 60 to 65 watts but was able to hit it at 80 watts no prob but not chain vape, at 75 watts chain vape city.

Always planned to pick up rayon to try out, wish I would have done so earlier [emoji106]

Welcome aboard, mjag! Glad to see you finally discovered rayon!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread