Rayon Wick - Better Flow, Flavor, Longevity, and Nic Hit!! - Pt.2

Status
Not open for further replies.

TrollDragon

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Dec 3, 2014
NS, Canada
Fellow Rayonati, my life is officially over...

iu

It was nice knowing you all... *sniff*
You kicking Sekiro? I passed on it for now as it's a little too rash for my skillz... :(
I will pick it up on the next sale though just because #FromSoftware.

Miyazaki did good!

Sloth Tonight

CF Moderator
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 25, 2014
NY
You kicking Sekiro? I passed on it for now as it's a little too rash for my skillz... :(
I will pick it up on the next sale though just because #FromSoftware.

Miyazaki did good!
This is easily my favorite game I've ever played, man. And I'm generally more of an RPG fan. Always been a fan of Japanese/Samurai settings, so I picked it up. And oh man oh man, my life is just over (in more ways than one--hundreds of times over, :lol:)

I'll have to go back and play the Dark Souls series after I've played this 3-4 times :D

TrollDragon

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Dec 3, 2014
NS, Canada
This is easily my favorite game I've ever played, man. And I'm generally more of an RPG fan. Always been a fan of Japanese/Samurai settings, so I picked it up. And oh man oh man, my life is just over (in more ways than one--hundreds of times over, :lol:)

I'll have to go back and play the Dark Souls series after I've played this 3-4 times :D
I still have to finish Bloodborne, it was my first exposure to the Souls series, I started it before I finished DS3 and really didn't know anything about the world. I will have to revisit it after I finish AC Odyssey.

Division 2 and that abortion they call Fallout76 fill in time when one needs to grind for gear. ;)

Sloth Tonight

CF Moderator
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 25, 2014
NY
I still have to finish Bloodborne, it was my first exposure to the Souls series, I started it before I finished DS3 and really didn't know anything about the world. I will have to revisit it after I finish AC Odyssey.

Division 2 and that abortion they call Fallout76 fill in time when one needs to grind for gear. ;)
I don't have a PS4 or I'd be all over Bloodborne, it looks great.

AC Odyssey is mind-blowing. I was almost finished with Ep3 of the DLC when Sekiro took over my life. Need to finish it soon, and can't wait for the Atlantis DLC! I did practically every side quest in that game...over 140 hours invested, no regrets.

Coolsiggy

ECF Veteran
Dec 26, 2018
Perth, Western Australia
Learning the Rayon dance, I got my Graham 40ft box a week ago and been on the learning curve. I guess the wicking rule is tight in the coil and thin in the juice well. My Ares RTA and Beserker rda have been rewicked a number of times over the past week and I am thinking that now my Rayon is too tight and choking, wick is wet but no flavor...coil is packed tight...so tight that the coil distorts when I re-wick.
Funny thing my Profile rda & RTA love the stuff. I thread using a full rayon rope with a Cotin shoelace between spring and rayon, cotton is trimed even with the mesh edge.

Heartsdelight

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Nov 10, 2015
Learning the Rayon dance, I got my Graham 40ft box a week ago and been on the learning curve. I guess the wicking rule is tight in the coil and thin in the juice well. My Ares RTA and Beserker RDA have been rewicked a number of times over the past week and I am thinking that now my Rayon is too tight and choking, wick is wet but no flavor...coil is packed tight...so tight that the coil distorts when I re-wick.
Funny thing my Profile RDA & RTA love the stuff. I thread using a full rayon rope with a Cotin shoelace between spring and rayon, cotton is trimed even with the mesh edge.
Perhaps try wicking a little less tight in the coil. I don’t have a Ares or Beserker but maybe coil placement?

vapdivrr

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 8, 2012
sarasota,fl
Learning the Rayon dance, I got my Graham 40ft box a week ago and been on the learning curve. I guess the wicking rule is tight in the coil and thin in the juice well. My Ares RTA and Beserker RDA have been rewicked a number of times over the past week and I am thinking that now my Rayon is too tight and choking, wick is wet but no flavor...coil is packed tight...so tight that the coil distorts when I re-wick.
Funny thing my Profile RDA & RTA love the stuff. I thread using a full rayon rope with a Cotin shoelace between spring and rayon, cotton is trimed even with the mesh edge.
You can definitely put in to much. I think those who say pack the rayon are those who use very little cotton, so to them it seems like the coil is packed with rayon. When I used cotton, I always used more then the average person uses, so with rayon I only added slightly more....

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

TrollDragon

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Dec 3, 2014
NS, Canada
To quote our very own @cigatron

1. Rayon has a narrower window of acceptable wicking density than my experience with cotton.
2. It is better to be leaning towards over wicking than under wicking with Rayon. By doing this it gives me a wider window of acceptable wick density so I have a better chance of having a good vape, even if not spot on.
3. The most important:
"If it ain't Squeak'n it ain't Peak'n"!
-Cig

Coolsiggy

ECF Veteran
Dec 26, 2018
Perth, Western Australia
I am still dancing with Rayon, even flooded the coil when wicking my Ares RTA (tails tooo thin)...like sucking a straw...not so tasty. Question...normally does rayon wick require higher watts. My SS spaced coils generally ohm .5 to .6 ohms. After my last rayon wicking using the Ares on a DNA 250c I have gone from 22 watts (replay) to 50 watts to find flavor. Coil was carefully locked at room temp reading 0.540 ohms.

vapdivrr

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 8, 2012
sarasota,fl
I am still dancing with Rayon, even flooded the coil when wicking my Ares RTA (tails tooo thin)...like sucking a straw...not so tasty. Question...normally does rayon wick require higher watts. My SS spaced coils generally ohm .5 to .6 ohms. After my last rayon wicking using the Ares on a DNA 250c I have gone from 22 watts (replay) to 50 watts to find flavor. Coil was carefully locked at room temp reading 0.540 ohms.
Not imo...I think most who use rayon, or at least when rayon started, it is/was for low wattage mtl vapors. I personally use kanthal at 20 watts and definitely see its benefits

Coolsiggy

ECF Veteran
Dec 26, 2018
Perth, Western Australia
I think that I may be hip shooting while dancing, many have said rayon needs a break-in...anyway I will try swapping attys and mods also.
One thing that I have notice rayon and wound coils seem more fussy then my mesh Profile's, 2 x RDA and 1 x RTA which seem to love rayon...no fuss.

Reactions: stols001

vapdivrr

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 8, 2012
sarasota,fl
Breaking in the rayon depends on how tightly its wicked. If I wick it a bit tighter then usual, it definitely takes a couple mls to break in and once it does, it seems to last a bit longer between rewicks. If I wick it just right (at least just right for me) there is no break in period at all (well maybe 2 or 3 good vapes), but the period between rewicks is a bit shorter. I prefer a slightly less packed coil myself because I dont have to deal with any break in. Yes perhaps I might not get quite as long between rewicks, but that's not a big deal imo and it doesn't take that long to do....

Coolsiggy

ECF Veteran
Dec 26, 2018
Perth, Western Australia
My rayon dancing is more like a waltz currently...I move the Ares to a VV Pulse mod and things settled down, it appears that my DNA replay was getting confused like me.
Using rayon with 28/30 gauge usually results in a distorted coil....has anyone tried threading and reshaping the coil before installing on the atty?

Reactions: stols001
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread