Rayon Wick - Better Flow, Flavor, Longevity, and Nic Hit!! - Pt.2

Status
Not open for further replies.

PaulBHC

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 22, 2014
Arizona
Generic info for both of you, long time of trial and error allows me to eyeball how wide and long a piece I need, then gently roll it between my palms. I don't compress it completely though. Pinch one end and stroke it to smooth it. Insert, pull back and forth and try again if it is not right.

IML8

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 12, 2014
Oklahoma
The Limitless does not, unfortunately, come with a 510 adapter. It *is* completely comparable with all things Griffin, as well as the Kennedy/Goon proprietary tips. I ordered one from HMM (Half Moon mods) and it fits beautifully (press fit).

Thanks, J.

I don't care too much about looks. I can get a Griffin drip nipple (I refuse to suck on drip tips) from fasttech for a couple bucks or I might pick up a Griffin 510 adapter from kidney puncher for about 3 bucks and see how that works. I might even see if I can mod what it comes with into something more suitable. I'll figure something out...or I might just become a chuff cap fiend.

Heartsdelight

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Nov 10, 2015
Anybody ever bought anything from Vape Royalty? I haven't, but I just ordered the iJoy Limitless from them shipped for $30.02. They were the only ones I could find today that said they had them in stock. I hope I'm not going to regret it. This dude looks like it's screaming to be wicked with rayon.
I've dealt with them forgot what I ordered. They're legit.

JeremyR

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Dec 29, 2012
Oregon, IL
Good to hear Tejas.. Side info.. I was born and raised in Houston..

I just finally got a solid coil with the springy 28g ss430 by doing the old school tricks we used to do.. Make the coil hold legs in position with pliers so it doesn't unravel, then torch(stove), and while red compress with another pair of needle nose till cooled. At this point I then made the coil spaced and it actually held nicely without deformity..

But your getting 316 I'm sure and I hear it's no where near as springy.

Thanks to one of our members that reminded me to go old school a while back.!

Last edited:

JeremyR

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Dec 29, 2012
Oregon, IL
Hey all!

back to vaping again after a 4 month stress-related cigarette binge. I can't for the life of me remember how I use to roll the perfect wick with my rayon? I feel like every wick I've made so far is feathering with short fibers, not sure what I am doing wrong...

but does anyone know of good you tube where they show you how to properly roll and wick an rda (I use an odin if that helps).

thanks in advance!

Hi spark, welcome back!

In the opening posts I have videos posted.. They are all showing an rda deck. Depending on the dripper you can leave a little more in the tails.

I'm not quite sure what you mean by feathering with short fibers.. The tails should feather as they thin..

I think what your looking for is start thick then stretch it to thin it just enough to finagle it through. With some extra pulling on the thick side to bring the density down.

Do you have problems with density in the coil?

Last edited:

TinySpark

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 9, 2014
Pacific Northwest
Hi spark, welcome back!

In the opening posts I have videos posted.. They are all showing an rda deck. Depending on the dripper you can leave a little more in the tails.

I'm not quite sure what you mean by feathering with short fibers.. The tails should feather as they thin..

I think what your looking for is start thick then stretch it to thin it just enough to finagle it through. With some extra pulling on the thick side to bring the density down.

Do you have problems with density in the coil?

Hi ! I actually figured it out, my wicks were way too thin. Re-read the first post and tried a couple times until I found my sweet spot. Great thread! thanks again!

SLIPPY_EEL

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 11, 2013
Ω England Ω
stroke it to smooth it. Insert, pull back and forth and try again if it is not right.
:blush:

Back on subject!..:thumbs:
2.5mm id coils i split the rayon in half.
3mm id coils i discard a third.
But having said this ive recently got through a whole mega box of rayon and the thickness throughout isn't perfect so you have to fine tune accordingly, if anything i found myself taking maybe 10-20 strands from the thickness of a perfect length from the box.
I've also noticed that when you twist the end for insertion you need to try and twist up a little more than just the very end fibers or else it will bunch up inside the coil rather than sliding through nicely.

TinySpark

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 9, 2014
Pacific Northwest

But having said this ive recently got through a whole mega box of rayon and the thickness throughout isn't perfect so you have to fine tune accordingly, if anything i found myself taking maybe 10-20 strands from the thickness of a perfect length from the box.
I've also noticed that when you twist the end for insertion you need to try and twist up a little more than just the very end fibers or else it will bunch up inside the coil rather than sliding through nicely.

haha hilarious! I was thinking the exact same thing... then I thought to myself get my mind out of the gutter we are talking about rayon and kanthal coils for goodness sakes! ;b

I think what you are talking about is the exact same problem I had been running into, I am going to have to "select" my rayon carefully from my stash and look and feel if it is a good consistency for wicking... (I got my rayon from a kind member on ecf who got their's from one of those huge mega boxes of sally's rayon)

does anyone use the Tidi balls? Are they a better consistency. It's too bad tidi doesn't come in smaller packs, I am hesistant to spend 40 bucks on several lifetime's worth of rayon wick material. Too bad there is no "rayon" coop here. haha!

SLIPPY_EEL

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 11, 2013
Ω England Ω
haha hilarious! I was thinking the exact same thing... then I thought to myself get my mind out of the gutter we are talking about rayon and kanthal coils for goodness sakes! ;b

I think what you are talking about is the exact same problem I had been running into, I am going to have to "select" my rayon carefully from my stash and look and feel if it is a good consistency for wicking... (I got my rayon from a kind member on ecf who got their's from one of those huge mega boxes of sally's rayon)

does anyone use the Tidi balls? Are they a better consistency. It's too bad tidi doesn't come in smaller packs, I am hesistant to spend 40 bucks on several lifetime's worth of rayon wick material. Too bad there is no "rayon" coop here. haha!

Yep we must behave! :D

I've only bought the box of rayon.
I to had donation's at first from the very kind people here! :thumb: i did get given some rayon balls as well but i didn't like them compared to the normal stuff, i think it was the consistency i didn't like, they pretty much tasted the same but i think the colour was a little dif for some reason, it was a long time ago!! :|

markfm

Aussie Pup Wrangler
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 9, 2010
Beautiful Baldwinsville (CNY)
I've found the Cellucotton reasonably consistent, but I absolutely compress the majority of it before wicking. Take a 2" piece, cut it in half. Start compressing maybe 1-1/2" of it. Unlike cotton, where I've read to only twist in one direction, it seems to be fine to twirl rayon back and forth to get it to compress. Clip off fine strands at the main end before inserting into the coil If it does bunch up a bit, pull it back a little and re-compress that part. Don't forget -- when pulling through the coil, it should be quite snug but not actually deform the coil.

On the Aromamizer, for dual vertical coils I rewick in place, clipping off about 1/2 the tail and using the remaining strands to cover the 2 eliquid ports on a given side. For a single vertical, coil between the posts, I end up popping out the coil and rewicking, then reinstall the wicked coil -- a bit of a PITA otherwise, trying to fish half the tail to one side, the other half to the other, to cover all 4 eliquid ports. I don't bother thinning the tail for the single vertical -- in theory I should thin each half, but I tend to over-cut if I do.

IML8

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 12, 2014
Oklahoma
Holy smokes </s>. I just ordered Tuesday and my Limitless has traveled 1500 miles and is already out for delivery. It looks like any trepidation I may have had about Vape Royalty was sorely misplaced.

I'm eager to know both, but I'll know how this thing performs with rayon before we know the results of the Brexit vote.

kross8

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Feb 20, 2016
stuck in a squishy pod called my brain

hey TinySpark,, I have a lifetime supply of Rayon,, if you need some PM me,, all I ask is for you to send ME a Self addressed Stamped envelope-- I pif it here and another board,, so I don't have time or supplies to keep labeling envelopes,,,,,i get your SASE,, fill it with Rayon and drop it back in the mail. -this is FREE,, DO NOT send me money or anything else. :)

JeremyR

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Dec 29, 2012
Oregon, IL

I have never found that to be a huge problem. I have never tried to get the correct amount pulled off.. I always start with double width and length of what I need. Heck a full piece for a 3mm coil. Stretch it to even, align, and bring the density down to where you need. It's best to have a big piece than to try and conserve it. Stretching it does help even it out and will reveal any weak spots. If there was a light spot I'll just pull apart and put the two back together and stretch again. You may want to pull the fibers apart and then roll them back together as I showed in some of the op sections. We can make good wicks out of scraps doing this.. Something some people now call the Scottish roll. But yeah I posted it a long time before that name came around........

If you were asking me you have my answers already..

Stetching the wick is important and makes life easier imo.

Last edited:

IML8

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 12, 2014
Oklahoma
The initial verdict is in. The wide open airflow on the iJoy/Limitless is insane and so is the flavor. I'm gonna have to cut my nic in half I think. Everything about it is easy peasy. Nothing's leaking so far. I guess I'll have to put it through it's paces for couple weeks to see if anything about it annoys me, but nothing yet. Dual 8 wrap spaced SS coils with rayon (of course) wicks is getting the job done and how!

JeremyR

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Dec 29, 2012
Oregon, IL
just received my ehpro batchelor rta.
after using the pre installed stock coil i quickly changed it out to ss316l wicked w/rayon.
new to this temp thing but so far rocking it on power mode w/evic mini.
heres an unbox vid of the bachelor

I'm sorry.. Lol, yeah it's pretty good, had mine a few months, leaks though. Seeps by the base orings cause they tear. Put new set on.. I tried to be careful as possible and second or third time I took apart the oring was torn.. then the ports don't line up with the wicks anymore and it starts weeping.

I have a vertical build in mine right now that's pretty good, need to post those pictures... Im tired of the weeping though.. .. Happily Vaping the flash e-vapor as I type.. Hard to beat it.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread