Rayon Wick - Better Flow, Flavor, Longevity, and Nic Hit!! - Pt.2

Status
Not open for further replies.

bratz

Dec 27, 2015
Day 2 - Rewick after 1 tank. Rayon is clean. Seems lesser gunk on same juice. Rewick with same half width of Sally on 2.5mm coil. This time round thinned the tails by cutting away at 45degrees. Very slight better flavour and throat hit. Kanger rba in a Subtank mini and billet box boro .

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Heartsdelight

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Nov 10, 2015
Thanks Rayonati for your thoughts on over wicking. I went with the advise of "more than what u thought is too much for cotton in the coil" but have yet to follow the "much less in the tail for cotton" to make rayon work advised in the first few post of this thread. I did not thin any at all for the tails.

Will try 1/3 width next wicking. Lets see how long the current one last.

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk
I remember @JeremyR saying that with “newer atties” depending on the size of the wick holes you may not need to adhere to the rules from page 1 of this thread in regards to thinning the tails. At least not needing to thin as much depending on the wick channel size.

Fozzy71

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 7, 2016
8 Mile + 2.5
Definitely no need on most RDAs which are all I use, but I thin em anyways (they look pretty):)
ditto. The only RTA I am running right now are a couple Boreas v1 and those also get heavily trimmed tails. Once I get my 2 new RSQ next week I have a feeling I will be retiring all my RTA setups and going 100% squonk RSA for my daily rotation.

edit to add: in other news, my 40 ft box is almost empty. almost time to crack open the monster box

Here is the DR 24 clone I wicked up about week ago that I trimmed the heck out of. squonks like a champ.

Sloth Tonight

CF Moderator
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 25, 2014
NY
ditto. The only RTA I am running right now are a couple Boreas v1 and those also get heavily trimmed tails. Once I get my 2 new RSQ next week I have a feeling I will be retiring all my RTA setups and going 100% squonk RSA for my daily rotation.

edit to add: in other news, my 40 ft box is almost empty. almost time to crack open the monster box

Here is the DR 24 clone I wicked up about week ago that I trimmed the heck out of. squonks like a champ.

Yeah, all I've used are squonkers for almost 4 years now. Convenience of tanks with flavor/punch of drippers. A no brainer IMHO.

newyork13

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 9, 2013
western Massachusetts
Yeah, all I've used are squonkers for almost 4 years now. Convenience of tanks with flavor/punch of drippers. A no brainer IMHO.
Ok. I keep reading and hearing about the squonkers.
A few years ago, I got a REO and wasn't crazy about it. Juice pooling on the top of the well, getting the smell out of the bottle when I changed flavors... But it was a great mod otherwise.
So, if I was interested in trying the squonking thing again, what should I get?

bratz

Dec 27, 2015
I remember @JeremyR saying that with “newer atties” depending on the size of the wick holes you may not need to adhere to the rules from page 1 of this thread in regards to thinning the tails. At least not needing to thin as much depending on the wick channel size.
Thanks for the info. I was just reading the first few post where he mentioned thinning the tails to achieve the similar function of roots from a tree. I may have misread. Will keep rewick in every tank differently and see how it goes [emoji4]

Heartsdelight

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Nov 10, 2015
Thanks for the info. I was just reading the first few post where he mentioned thinning the tails to achieve the similar function of roots from a tree. I may have misread. Will keep rewick in every tank differently and see how it goes [emoji4]

No you didn’t misread. It’s a huge thread & when @JeremyR started the thread the info is based on the atties at that time period & is still applicable. But after 2 years & on page 3... of the thread atties has evolved & changed to have much bigger wick channels & I like you assumed that you have to trim a lot in all atties. But JeremyR noted that with the newer atties you may not need to. It’s in the thread somewhere, but I can’t remember what page.

cigatron

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
May 14, 2014
clinton ar
Definitely no need on most RDAs which are all I use, but I thin em anyways (they look pretty):)

I thin the tails on my RDAs MORE than any other type of atty so it slurps juice at high speed until the juice well goes dry. That helps keep the flavor the same for more pulls before having to drip or squonk. Try it.

Heartsdelight

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Nov 10, 2015
I thin the tails on my RDAs MORE than any other type of atty so it slurps juice at high speed until the juice well goes dry. That helps keep the flavor the same for more pulls before having to drip or squonk. Try it.
That’s what I was doing with my rda’s, then I wasn’t sure what to do ;) thanks for the assurance :)

awsum140

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 12, 2012
Sitting down, facing forward.
The wick channel size seems to be related to the coil size, too. Modern, current generation, atties have significantly larger coil diameter capacity. To provide that coil with enough liquid using cotton or, heaven forbid, silica, a large wick and wick channels is needed. If you trim rayon to suit the wick channel, you're good to go. I have a couple of Bachelors, 3mm coils, and don't thin the wick at all, just trim so it's flush with the wick channel openings.

In the one, and only, RDA/squonk attie I have, I trim a little long, then thin it out so the tails are, basically, wisps sitting on the deck kind of like a pointed artist's paint brush. I do the same thing with FEV atties. Both will wick until they're bone dry. Rayon seems to attract liquid better than any other wick material I've used.

Heartsdelight

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Nov 10, 2015
The wick channel size seems to be related to the coil size, too. Modern, current generation, atties have significantly larger coil diameter capacity. To provide that coil with enough liquid using cotton or, heaven forbid, silica, a large wick and wick channels is needed. If you trim rayon to suit the wick channel, you're good to go. I have a couple of Bachelors, 3mm coils, and don't thin the wick at all, just trim so it's flush with the wick channel openings.

In the one, and only, RDA/squonk attie I have, I trim a little long, then thin it out so the tails are, basically, wisps sitting on the deck kind of like a pointed artist's paint brush. I do the same thing with FEV atties. Both will wick until they're bone dry. Rayon seems to attract liquid better than any other wick material I've used.
Hi @awsum140 ! Nice to see ya! Thanks for the reassurance as well! It does get a little confusing at times to thin or not to thin? Lol!

awsum140

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 12, 2012
Sitting down, facing forward.
Hi, HD. I hang out here quite a bit but usually remain in the background.

If your attie has wick channels or exposed liquid ports of some sort, like the holes at the bottom of an Aromamizer, thinning really is based on the size of those ports or holes. They need to be filled enough to prevent seepage/leaks. Like I said, the Bachelors need no thinning, but the Foggers I have, being slowly retired, need to be trimmed down to fit the relatively small liquid ports. If it doesn't have port/holes, it can be thinned down to a wisp. I don't have a stable of different atomizers, so my opinion is based on relatively little experience with different styles, but I think that basic premise applies.

Heartsdelight

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Nov 10, 2015
Hi, HD. I hang out here quite a bit but usually remain in the background.

If your attie has wick channels or exposed liquid ports of some sort, like the holes at the bottom of an Aromamizer, thinning really is based on the size of those ports or holes. They need to be filled enough to prevent seepage/leaks. Like I said, the Bachelors need no thinning, but the Foggers I have, being slowly retired, need to be trimmed down to fit the relatively small liquid ports. If it doesn't have port/holes, it can be thinned down to a wisp. I don't have a stable of different atomizers, so my opinion is based on relatively little experience with different styles, but I think that basic premise applies.
Thank you! You answered & confirmed all !

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread