Status
Not open for further replies.

awsum140

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 12, 2012
Sitting down, facing forward.
Have you tried thinning the actual wicks and using the trimmed pieces to fill the ports completely? It may help with transport in the wick, but it is a delicate balancing act. I had similar problems the first time I did a Merlin, large liquid ports and I over trimmed the first time.

tedigram

ECF Veteran
Sep 14, 2015
Brooklyn
Hopefully someone with a Crius 2 will chime in. Is there no way to fit a larger ID coil in there? If not, try reducing the number of wraps (shorter coils are better at not burning the wicks in the center).

I can but I don't want to, I prefer a cool vape and 8/9 wraps at 3mm is my sweet spot in this tank. I just don't want to add anymore metal and thermal mass, or reduce it by shortening the coil by a wrap since that'd be a bit weak for a chamber this size.

The dark legs I could handle if I had to, but I haaaate pulling out a wick only to find it's in two charred pieces at the center, drives me crazy. And I'm assuming it's happening because, even though I have zero issues with dry hits, there are still three competing juice reservoirs in that wick when I can't trim either side :/

*edit* Well, calculator says I'd only need to take one wrap off bumping up to 3.5mm... I don't trust that math though, I've never enjoyed larger IDs the handful of times I've tried them, I feel like the further you get from 2.5mm the worse the flavor gets. Guess I wouldn't know for sure until I try, but damn this is blowing my whole hassle-free satisfaction with this tank lol.

Last edited:

tedigram

ECF Veteran
Sep 14, 2015
Brooklyn
Have you tried thinning the actual wicks and using the trimmed pieces to fill the ports completely? It may help with transport in the wick, but it is a delicate balancing act. I had similar problems the first time I did a Merlin, large liquid ports and I over trimmed the first time.

I thought about doing that but it was hard to see how it would help. If the goal is to make sure the only reservoir of wick is in the coil itself, it feels like having thinned out wick stretched between three thicker portions would still have the same issue. Although I guess there'd be less wick in those intermediate areas to hold juice that burns... In my head I'm still imagining the ping-pong effect though, with juice constantly being pulled toward the coil then back to the thicker wick in the juice holes.

Still, I suppose I should give it a try. The one thing I want to avoid is anything finicky though, 90% of the reason I bought this tank to upgrade from my long-time Toptank habit was its no-fuss, anything goes wicking.

cigatron

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
May 14, 2014
clinton ar
I can but I don't want to, I prefer a cool vape and 8/9 wraps at 3mm is my sweet spot in this tank. I just don't want to add anymore metal and thermal mass, or reduce it by shortening the coil by a wrap since that'd be a bit weak for a chamber this size.

The dark legs I could handle if I had to, but I haaaate pulling out a wick only to find it's in two charred pieces at the center, drives me crazy. And I'm assuming it's happening because, even though I have zero issues with dry hits, there are still three competing juice reservoirs in that wick when I can't trim either side :/

*edit* Well, calculator says I'd only need to take one wrap off bumping up to 3.5mm... I don't trust that math though, I've never enjoyed larger IDs the handful of times I've tried them, I feel like the further you get from 2.5mm the worse the flavor gets. Guess I wouldn't know for sure until I try, but damn this is blowing my whole hassle-free satisfaction with this tank lol.

You may not be getting perceptible dry hits but you ARE overheating at the center of the coil if your wicks are separating in the middle. You're poisoning yourself with aldehydes as well, not kidding. Aldehydes are produced in vapor coming from coils exceeding 450°f and you are certainly exceeding that temp.
Your assertion that flavor is compromised using coils greater than 2.5mm is simply not true, it's more about matching the coil size to airflow, applied power level, coil saturation and atty chamber size.
As far as heat sure, if your putting 8 wraps on a 3.5mm coil it's going to be too hot. If that were my atty I would try a 3.5mm, 5 wrap clapton in there and thin the tails to match the juice channels. It will most certainly run cooler than your current 2.5mm 8 wrap build, produce better flavor imo and never singe your wicks in half.
I went through the whole "Smaller ID with More Wraps is Better" thing and found it to be unfounded. Larger ID shorter coils is where it's at for me. They hold just as much juice, stay wet in the center, ramp up and cool quicker and are easier to wick evenly. My:2c:

tedigram

ECF Veteran
Sep 14, 2015
Brooklyn
It's not a question for me. I'm not ignorant of claptons, I've tried them many times before. Thicker wires are hotter, period, and heat kills flavor for me. I've been vaping full-time for three years, I know what works for my tastes, but I'm also not one of those people still holding onto habits made in the Kayfun days or something. Building with twisted 28awg isn't a leftover habit, it's a deliberate choice as the result of the first year and a half of experimenting with everything, and my consistent experiences since. Ditto to my opinion on larger IDs.

I know what build works for me, I just need the wicking to cooperate in this tank, although I am planning on trying 3.5mm and reducing a wrap to maintain the same metal mass with a shorter, thicker wick to see how that goes.

Heartsdelight

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Nov 10, 2015
You may not be getting perceptible dry hits but you ARE overheating at the center of the coil if your wicks are separating in the middle. You're poisoning yourself with aldehydes as well, not kidding. Aldehydes are produced in vapor coming from coils exceeding 450°f and you are certainly exceeding that temp.
Your assertion that flavor is compromised using coils greater than 2.5mm is simply not true, it's more about matching the coil size to airflow, applied power level, coil saturation and atty chamber size.
As far as heat sure, if your putting 8 wraps on a 3.5mm coil it's going to be too hot. If that were my atty I would try a 3.5mm, 5 wrap clapton in there and thin the tails to match the juice channels. It will most certainly run cooler than your current 2.5mm 8 wrap build, produce better flavor imo and never singe your wicks in half.
I went through the whole "Smaller ID with More Wraps is Better" thing and found it to be unfounded. Larger ID shorter coils is where it's at for me. They hold just as much juice, stay wet in the center, ramp up and cool quicker and are easier to wick evenly. My:2c:
Wow @cigatron you are indeed a wealth of knowledge :) I really enjoyed reading your thoughts ;)

TrollDragon

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Dec 3, 2014
NS, Canada
Hi @TrollDragon how have you been? Missed you!
I am good, and missed you too!
The Womper Wroom's have pretty much died off :tumble: so I've been hanging out in jfcooley's "Shinyitis Support Group", you should come over and hang around. :firefox:

Heartsdelight

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Nov 10, 2015
I am good, and missed you too!
The Womper Wroom's have pretty much died off :tumble: so I've been hanging out in jfcooley's "Shinyitis Support Group", you should come over and hang around. :firefox:
Is that group here on ECF?
I need a link if so, I can’t find it :D

Heartsdelight

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Nov 10, 2015
2D6FC221-235D-4429-B3FF-C60B11CAA79D.jpeg
AA76737A-4854-46A9-9732-7BE49D730AC5.jpeg
Build pics of my Asmodus Zesthia.
Geekvape 3mm i.d. Ni80 Fused Claptons 26ga*2/38g .33 ohms.
Wicked with Kotex U :D

Heartsdelight

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Nov 10, 2015
Nice!
How you liking the KU? I've yet to try some. ;)
I had to try it since it was on @JeremyR list on page 1 of this thread. IIRC it was listed as #3 on the list with #1 being Pharmaceutical grade and #2 being the German Viscose. I like it after you unwrapped 1 it goes a long way. JeremyR has noted that you don’t have to have the same density as the Rayon from Graham. Therefore its easier to wick on certain coils since you don’t have to wick it as tight in the coil. Give it a try, just make sure you buy the correct one. It was hysterical trying to read all the packages making sure I got the right one & I’m a girl :D I was talking to the guys on this thread while I was in the market & they thought I was a guy & they were joking look out for the weirdo on aisle 3 lol! :lol:

Last edited:

Pecorapazza

Mar 7, 2018
CH
Hello,
I am new to the forum and looking for information on rayon.
I tried 5 builds on my KF prime before arriving at a result almost correct ... but I think it can be improved. Could someone post pictures on a KF prime or KF5 build? Thank you in advance for your help.
For information I speak French excuse me in advance for my bad English.

Sloth Tonight

CF Moderator
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 25, 2014
NY
Hello,
I am new to the forum and looking for information on rayon.
I tried 5 builds on my KF prime before arriving at a result almost correct ... but I think it can be improved. Could someone post pictures on a KF prime or KF5 build? Thank you in advance for your help.
For information I speak French excuse me in advance for my bad English.
Welcome :) someone who is familiar with your equipment will be along to help shortly. Just wanted to welcome you to the forum :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread