Rayon wick, better flow, flavor, saturation and Nic Hit!

Status
Not open for further replies.

JeremyR

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Dec 29, 2012
Oregon, IL
The chopped process tencel has been working well.. Seem it just took a little bit to break in for me. Could be related to the density I used but I usually try to hit it with about 15-20w+ right away, the rayon is always fine doing that, the tencel chop just took a little while to break in. Wicking well no wick taste.

Tencel chop, parallel 32, 1.4 ohms 5.5-6v on a stacked zmax.
null_zpsdd3ee816.jpg

Since this was set up for tank mode on the flashi, I split the tail and trimmed half above the posts, and the other half of the tail is going to the deck. . I've been running it in dripper mode and performing well. Plenty of wicking with a half tail. Let it get to dry hit a few times. Opened it up and initially the top view you could see the wick starting to look dry.

But it doesn't scorch, the coil will go dry before the rayon does enough to burn. Which is really wierd compared to cotton. Since the coil gives a dry hit first it's pretty hard to go far enough that you would scorch the wick..

If you freak out thinking you got a rayon dry hit most likely all you got was; a beginning to dry burn coil. Every time I've got a dry hit on rayon I refill and its fine.

Alpaca, ect... I'm pretty sure unless it's made in a lab it won't be as pure. ;)

Last edited:

JeremyR

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Dec 29, 2012
Oregon, IL
Ok to show how the wick drys, I ran it till started to dry hit at 22w, dropped it to 15 kept vaping, dropped to 12w, drained it.. You can see how dry it looks.. Wick not burnt at all. Coil starting to gunk from letting it go dry quite a few times. Dryness makes the coil gunk. In a tank with good wicking the coil doesn't gunk like other wicks, because it saturates much better. This was only a test. Keep it wet and your coil won't gunk. Dry burning a coil will tear you up as you probably know.

This is 20min after the pic above..

null_zps7a749c7b.jpg

Last edited:

brianc11111

ECF Veteran
Mar 30, 2014
cincinnati
i ran one of the kayfuns for 5 tanks with the same tencel wick just to see how it looked.
it looked just like i put it in. clean as a whistle, no crud on coil. with cotton, whether its p+c or ball i would have had a dirty wick with some crud on coil. i am still amazed at tencel. cant wait to get the rayon balls.

jeremy, youre right about the wick not giving burnt taste, on the taifun i experienced a little of that before i got the amount of wick down pat. i was expecting melted rayon to be stuck to the base. but it was still like new

JeremyR

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Dec 29, 2012
Oregon, IL
Lol as you know rayon doesn't melt.. that's nothing but Mis-information.... That keeps people from trying this incredible wick. I'm glad you all came on this journey with me, were laying the ground work for our fellow vapers.

It's weird the coil dry burns before the wick scorches.. Yeah I wouldn't recommend dry burning the coil by letting it dry.. Coil dry burn hurts your throat no matter the wick. So if every thing is chugging along great and you don't run it dry, you'll never have a dry hit.

All it takes is a burn test side by side with cotton.. Almost identical burn pattern...

@kiwi
Yes excellent, the straight fine tencel is great in straight wick devices like tiafuns, kangers, ect.

Tbev

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Oct 22, 2013
SoCal-Vegas
instagram.com
How do you go about filling a coil with tinsel, I only did it once and it seemed like when I got it in there it turned out to be only half the required amount after I got it wet and used it for a while, I want to put I it K in my r91, with an existing coil.

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using Tapatalk

JeremyR

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Dec 29, 2012
Oregon, IL
hm i try it, its great, but next i read on wiki :
Acid Bath: As the viscose exits the spinneret, it lands in a bath of sulfuric acid, resulting in the formation of rayon filaments: (C6H9O4O-SC-SNa)n + ½nH2SO4 → (C6H10O5)n + nCS2 + ½nNa2SO4

whole link Rayon - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Doesn't matter, I read that a long time ago. Hemp and ramie and many others are degummed with strong acids including sulfuric.

Note - H2SO4 - Sulfuric acid, Formula

http://www.fibrafp7.net/Portals/0/Chongwen_Yu_Day_1.pdf

Hemp
• immersed in acid(H2SO4): 2g/L ,50°C, 1h
• Boiling: H2O2 :10%,NaOH:6%,Na2CO3:4%,
Na2SiO3:2%, urea 2%,JFC1%,85°C,2h,
or: Boiling only with alkali:Sodium hydroxide:10%,
sodium tripolyphosphate: (Na5P3O10 )2%,urea2%, Sodium silicate2%,100°C,3h.

Also see - http://www.ecolution.com/ecocatalogs/eu/09.FibersChineseProcessingPatent.pdf

There are many other sources..

Cotton also has high levels of poisonous insecticides used and most times chemicals and acids can be used to bleach it. Even if it says organic your not guaranteed it is completely organic. It's a big money market and there's fraudulent claims in the whole organic community.

On top of that sulfuric acid washes off in water pretty easily and is washed off.. Just boil and rinse if your worried. Sulfuric acid has a strong affinity to water... I know hemp and cotton boil off more flavors/contaminates/ chemicals than rayon, you can tell flavor improvement with washing, with rayon you notice no difference. Boil and rinse if your worried about sulfuric acid.

The sulfuric acid causes a reaction that binds the cellulose. The rayon doesn't contain sulfuric acid specifically.

More to come later...

JeremyR

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Dec 29, 2012
Oregon, IL
Which isn't all that different from the way rayon is made (wood pulp).

Actually it's absolutely completely different. Go ahead and try it you'll see protien fibers are no good for wicks.

It's made from soy *beans, liquified protien. rayon is made from trees. I won't get into the details, I don't have time. Rayon is pure cellulose.

Here's a quick link, not complete and there are many other sources.

Dyeing to Dye • What is Soy Silk?

brianc11111

ECF Veteran
Mar 30, 2014
cincinnati
I would imagine tencel to be the perfect wick for a taifun gt, given how the wick runs completely straight from juice hole to coil. You can probably run it at 50 watts and still be fine lol

Burping out loud using Tapatalk

yeah once i got cotton loading out of my head and made myself put alot in it...i can hit it as long as my lungs can do it

Cuando

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Feb 5, 2009
Living in a box of CelluCotton
This tencel is a nightmare to wick with. So far, at least. It definitely gets more compact with use, but can take a torching far better than cotton. I am going to try pulling the tencel through the coils with a piece of kanthal hooked around the middle of the wick to get as much in there as possible.

brianc11111

ECF Veteran
Mar 30, 2014
cincinnati
This tencel is a nightmare to wick with. So far, at least. It definitely gets more compact with use, but can take a torching far better than cotton. I am going to try pulling the tencel through the coils with a piece of kanthal hooked around the middle of the wick to get as much in there as possible.

thats how i do it on all my coils..what i like is that if you put too much in, you can cut the loop and pull out little by little from the ends

weinner

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 19, 2012
ohio :-(
You guys are making it way more complicated than it needs to be.

Just make your wick around the size it needs to be. Put pg/vg on it before you put it in the coil because it shrinks when wet. Make it so it fits in the coil easily. Not to tight when it's wet because it will burn. If it's to tight, just pull a little bit off the wick and try again.

Xcighippy

ECF Veteran
Apr 9, 2013
OC CA

SteamHead

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 8, 2014
Tampa, FL, USA
Hey guys, read this thread from the beginning... how about this?

Graham CelluCotton Reinforced Beauty Coil Rayon 3lbs

100% percent rayon fibres; not sure what they mean by "reinforced"... maybe a denser core? Fibers look pretty close the that pharma coil that JeremyR seems to prefer. Either way, 3lbs should last a good week or two, right? ;)

Ugh, $8 shipping... group buy?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread