borno

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Dec 31, 2019
land of pleasant living
I actually got this guy yesterday, I over paid for him, but I have seen him in the pet store for over a month, and felt really bad for the little guy stuck in a small glass tank, he is only 4 months old and is very lovable already, we have named him George :)

View attachment 950683
He's a beauty, and looking for mischief.:)

borno

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Dec 31, 2019
land of pleasant living
On birds... I don’t feel guilty for having my little Jesse bird. He was born in captivity, and he would have ended up in somebody’s home, and I like to think he got lucky to end up here.
He was my daughter’s constant companion. Every second she was awake and not in school, he rode around atop her head. He taught her to be gentle and compassionate. He was a wonderful companion for an introverted child, and I think he brought her out of her shell (no pun intended).

He was the only pet my kids had that I never had to tell them to feed or take care of. I only kept him after she moved out because she couldn’t bring him.

All the kids in the family have loved to visit Jesse, and they have enjoyed learning about cockatiels and other birds, and I think gained a great appreciation for nature. My granddaughters adore him and I think he’s the reason they like to sit on the porch and ask me about all the birds we see.

We don’t have wild parrots here, and most people don’t give a thought to our native birds, they don’t realize how cool and interesting and brilliant they are. Jesse showed these kids that birds are cool.

So it’s sad that he lost out on flying free, but he played an important role. There are a bunch of kids who are and will be more concerned with the environment and caring for all the creatures in the world, thanks to one little bird.

He’ll be 22 this thanksgiving.
Great story, I love twitcing as it were and put up a platform for the Ospreys at work, sadly the 3 hatchlings died and the nest is now empty. I think it got too hot when they just hatched and dad didn't bring enough fish frequently enough, or the eagles from thier nest nearby took them. They had 3 last year and 2 the year before. Next year may be it for me watching the nest as I'm hoping to retire soon (fingers crossed)

DeloresRose

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 25, 2014
toledo ohio
Tbh I wasn't that keen on the suede effect and brown not my favourite colour either but I'll definitely live vicariously through you....will look forward to some pics :)

I wasn’t keen either, until a certain enabler told me “everybody is buying them and they’ll all be gone forever!” Or words to that effect.
And it’ll go nicely with my Birkenstock clogs this fall.

DeloresRose

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 25, 2014
toledo ohio
How wonderful he played such a huge part in your family. I think people would agree that birds in captivity cannot survive in the wild, so you have given him the best life possible and it seems he's pretty happy. Do you have any pictures? :wub:
And I agree about wild birds in our neck of the woods. I LOVE having my coffee and sitting on the deck, listening and watching the birds. Unfortunately, there is a virus or SOME illness stealing the lives of fledglings in many parts of the country right now. I hope they get a handle on it soon. I remember when a virus attacked finches many years back and left them blind.
Here's the story:
Bird 'Mortality Event' In PA Continues To Mystify Researchers

I heard about those deaths. There’s been a few reports here but nothing like PA. We’re just keeping an eye out and cleaning the feeders regularly.

440BB

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 19, 2011
The Motor City
I wasn’t keen either, until a certain enabler told me “everybody is buying them and they’ll all be gone forever!” Or words to that effect.
And it’ll go nicely with my Birkenstock clogs this fall.
Great, now I have to buy Birkenstocks.:D

DeloresRose

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 25, 2014
toledo ohio
I actually got this guy yesterday, I over paid for him, but I have seen him in the pet store for over a month, and felt really bad for the little guy stuck in a small glass tank, he is only 4 months old and is very lovable already, we have named him George :)

View attachment 950683

Some kind of conure? Hard to tell when they’re young. I had a Jenday and he was a tear up. Loved him dearly.

DeloresRose

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 25, 2014
toledo ohio
Great story, I love twitcing as it were and put up a platform for the Ospreys at work, sadly the 3 hatchlings died and the nest is now empty. I think it got too hot when they just hatched and dad didn't bring enough fish frequently enough, or the eagles from thier nest nearby took them. They had 3 last year and 2 the year before. Next year may be it for me watching the nest as I'm hoping to retire soon (fingers crossed)

I have bald eagles nesting just down the road, and it never gets old seeing them. Lots of red tails and Cooper’s and a few Osprey. I’ll always favor warblers and songbirds, but the big birds are really impressive too.

DeloresRose

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 25, 2014
toledo ohio
07D5D74D-AB80-46A0-834E-845292FCA322.jpeg

Terrible picture but there’s no getting one of him out of the cage. He is not clipped and for an old fella he can really zoom!

DeloresRose

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 25, 2014
toledo ohio
I have to say that even though I am guilty of having kept cockatiels and a couple of parrots, I totally and completely agree with you. Mine were ALL rescues. From people who just didn't want to be bothered caring for them.
There's no way they would have survived in the wild. I've watched a few videos of the birds in Australia and have watched some shows from there and to see these beautiful creatures free as "birds", so to speak, was incredible.
Thank you for sharing some information about them I did NOT know.:):wub:

Good morning, Folks, have a wonderful Sunday/Monday?/Saturday? Not sure of everyone's time zones!!

My SIL did that in Fl, had an outdoor aviary for them - the big ones had cages in the back porch. Over the years she took in probably 100 birds.

I wanted to do the same but I didn’t have the time to devote. I’m kind of old to do it now, as a lot of birds will surely outlive me. Heck, at this rate Jesse just might lol.

Katmar

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Sep 19, 2009
Pittsburgh, Pa
My SIL did that in Fl, had an outdoor aviary for them - the big ones had cages in the back porch. Over the years she took in probably 100 birds.

I wanted to do the same but I didn’t have the time to devote. I’m kind of old to do it now, as a lot of birds will surely outlive me. Heck, at this rate Jesse just might lol.
116252694_10219990709172564_4618506162548197028_n.jpg

Nailz

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
  • Jun 6, 2013
    Wichita, KS
    Some kind of conure? Hard to tell when they’re young. I had a Jenday and he was a tear up. Loved him dearly.

Yes he is a pineapple conure, basically a mix of green cheek and sun conure, his colors are awesome :)

hittman

ECF Guru
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Contest Winner!
  • Jul 13, 2009
    Somewhere between here and there
    Great, now I have to buy Birkenstocks.:D

No Birkenstocks for me. My daughter has some but I don’t know what kind. She and I went last weekend and got some new running shoes. I really need to get in a regular exercise routine.

Tralfaz

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Sep 12, 2012
    Orbit City
    Happy Sunday, shinies! Hope everyone is safe and well <3

CRwh3b8.jpg

I'm rekindling my alchemical romance this morning. In other shiniy news, my RCM Infinity Twist made it to Moscow and is getting ready to board a plane for the US. Safe flight, little mod :D

Users who are viewing this thread