Status
Not open for further replies.

Racehorse

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 12, 2012
USA midwest

this is the easiest way i found. Used a small gas torch even. Works like a charm.

I did this tonight With a lighter. It was so easy I was amazed.
Will keep an eye on things this week to see if it aleviates condensation.

It does make the mouthpiece a little thinner, which is also okay w/me.

• Agree
Reactions: Macko

SonnyCooL

ECF Veteran
Jan 12, 2018
I have full naked n half naked mouth piece ...
I did this tonight With a lighter. It was so easy I was amazed.
Will keep an eye on things this week to see if it aleviates condensation.

It does make the mouthpiece a little thinner, which is also okay w/me.
I have three pods n this my result
IMG_20190702_101501~2.jpg

Racehorse

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 12, 2012
USA midwest
I have full naked n half naked mouth piece ...

I have three pods n this my result View attachment 824413

As it turns out, I really didn't "need" to do this. If an infintesimal amount of eliquid leaks out, I just q-tip it out. Most of the time, I have found that just really wiping down my pod, and the bottom of it, after refilling, there will be no sign of eliquid leaking.

I ended up buying another NORD. I was going to try something else, but really, I am pretty okay with this pod system, and I like the mAh and refilling it is a BREEZE......no complaints.

It's my first and only pod system, but why change things up if you're happy? And I like only having to purchase 1 kind of coil, and having all my pods the same. I like teh height and width, too, and the weight. guess i just lucked out.

It's my only vape gear now, 7 years into vaping (though I took some time off w/out vaping at all, and never have gone back to cigs). I don't need a whole lot anymore. When these die, I will probably quit altogether again.

SonnyCooL

ECF Veteran
Jan 12, 2018
As it turns out, I really didn't "need" to do this. If an infintesimal amount of eliquid leaks out, I just q-tip it out. Most of the time, I have found that just really wiping down my pod, and the bottom of it, after refilling, there will be no sign of eliquid leaking.

I ended up buying another NORD. I was going to try something else, but really, I am pretty okay with this pod system, and I like the mAh and refilling it is a BREEZE......no complaints.

It's my first and only pod system, but why change things up if you're happy? And I like only having to purchase 1 kind of coil, and having all my pods the same. I like teh height and width, too, and the weight. guess i just lucked out.

It's my only vape gear now, 7 years into vaping (though I took some time off w/out vaping at all, and never have gone back to cigs). I don't need a whole lot anymore. When these die, I will probably quit altogether again.
yup after spend some time n money with other pods, nord still my favorite, now more toward pasito because of RBA so i vape any juice i want but in term of size, performance, weight n mouth piece comfortable, i still prefer Nord over pasito.

Racehorse

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 12, 2012
USA midwest
yup after spend some time n money

I went thru my "experimenting phase" in 2012-2015. Not really willing to do it again, not willing to spend the $$ again, and just was looking for something that I can get by using w/out hating it. I'm sure there are some really great pods out there, but I just don't feel like ordering and testing and spending the $$ to do so. If I was still in my 1st two years of vaping, I would, however.

Reactions: LaZeR

Macko

Jan 5, 2017
Hi all. I just bought a Smok Nord, and it comes with 2 coils (1.4 and .6), and I bought a 6MG juice and a 30MG Nic Salt juice with it, and used the .6 with the regular juice and the 1.4 for the salt juice.

Both seem ok, but I'd like to hear what juice/coil combination some of you guys are using.

I came from a Revenger, which I loved, but tired of traveling with it and all the stuff I needed, etc, so have bought this small device.

I'm thinking maybe I'd like the 30MG Salt Nic juice with the .8 coil, but would like to know what combination others are finding best with this device.

And maybe there are other variables, but if you could answer any of these questions in general:

1. Would the battery last longer using the 1.4 coil or the .6 coil throughout the day?

2. Would the .8 coil be good for salt nic juices?

3. For those who have tried the .6, .8 and 1.4 coils, which is your personal fav and why?

4. How long are your coils lasting on the 3 coil versions?

5. Which coil would theoretically last the longest, or does it depend on other factors, like juice, etc?

I appreciate any thoughts on this, as I want to go ahead and decide which setup I think is best before leaving the States for several months, when I won't be able to easily replace this or that.

• Agree

proax9

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 10, 2011
Pomona, NY
Been using the Nord for 2 months now. Over-all pleasantly surprised how much I like it. First Smok product for me- due to the negative QC reputation.
I prefer DL over MTL so I find the .6 works better for me. The 1.4 is a bit more restrictive and a cooler vape. I had seen some .8 ohm coils for it but haven't tried them.
As far as your questions.
1. battery will last longer with 1.4 vs .6 Not sure how much longer. I can get 4-5 hours of frequent / steady vaping, but not chain vaping, from the .6 coils. The battery and juice seem to run out pretty close to each other.
2. Maybe my opinion, but salt nic can be used in any coil. I use freebase only. ( I have way too many DIY juices in rotation to start make versions with freebase AND nic salts). I make 6mg juice. Can't speak from experience, but I'm thinking you need to be careful with the 30mg, even in the 1.4 coil. Sounds like way too much nic for me and my vaping style.
3. As mentioned- the .6 coil is more for DL. The 1.4 is a restictive DL (for me). OK but I like the draw looser. Flavor wise, bot too much of a difference.
4. I have 2 nords, and an Trinity Alpha I use for stealth vaping at work. (Although it's onlt stealth due to the size of the devices. The vapor production is anything but stealth! I would say I get about 6-10 refills before a drop off in flavor. While I enjoy flavored juices- I keep my flavors lighter so the flavor drop off may be more noticeable with highly flavored juice.
5. After trying the 1.4 that came with the unit, I have only used the .6 coils. So I cannot definitively say which will last longer. BUT, I believe the .6 have more cotton per coil, so they may last a bit longer before a burnt or no taste situation occurs.

SonnyCooL

ECF Veteran
Jan 12, 2018
Been using the Nord for 2 months now. Over-all pleasantly surprised how much I like it. First Smok product for me- due to the negative QC reputation.
I prefer DL over MTL so I find the .6 works better for me. The 1.4 is a bit more restrictive and a cooler vape. I had seen some .8 ohm coils for it but haven't tried them.
1. battery will last longer with 1.4 vs .6 Not sure how much longer. I can get 4-5 hours of frequent / steady vaping, but not chain vaping, from the .6 coils. The battery and juice seem to run out pretty close to each other.
2. Maybe my opinion, but salt nic can be used in any coil. I use freebase only. ( I have way too many DIY juices in rotation to start make versions with freebase AND nic salts). I make 6mg juice. Can't speak from experience, but I'm thinking you need to be careful with the 30mg, even in the 1.4 coil. Sounds like way too much nic for me and my vaping style.
3. As mentioned- the .6 coil is more for DL. The 1.4 is a restictive DL (for me). OK but I like the draw looser. Flavor wise, bot too much of a difference.
4. I have 2 nords, and an Trinity Alpha I use for stealth vaping at work. (Although it's onlt stealth due to the size of the devices. The vapor production is anything but stealth! I would say I get about 6-10 refills before a drop off in flavor. While I enjoy flavored juices- I keep my flavors lighter so the flavor drop off may be more noticeable with highly flavored juice.
5. After trying the 1.4 that came with the unit, I have only used the .6 coils. So I cannot definitively say which will last longer. BUT, I believe the .6 have more cotton per coil, so they may last a bit longer before a burnt or no taste situation occurs.
Just depend, I have some juice can't even last 1 3ml cartridge ... Hopefully smok come out rba for Nord ...

LaZeR

ECF Veteran
Aug 21, 2013
USA & Canada
Thanks for the Reviews of the Smok Nord. My purchase will include a 5-pack of coils at the same time.
  • Just wondering what you like better ~ the 0.6 ohm Mesh Coil, or the 1.4 ohm Regular Coil?
  • How's the performance & satisfaction of the Regular Coil?
  • Do BOTH styles of coils last around 2 weeks even with Nic Salts, and the Regular Coil lasts longer correct?
  • Also a bit confused re which coil to use with regular eLiquid, versus Nic Salts, and what mg?
Thanks Again!!

Last edited:

SonnyCooL

ECF Veteran
Jan 12, 2018
Thanks for the Reviews of the Smok Nord.
  • Just wondering what you like better ~ the 0.6 ohm Mesh Coil, or the 1.4 ohm Regular Coil?
  • Do BOTH styles of coils last around 2 weeks even with Nic Salts?
  • Also a bit confused re which coil to use with regular eLiquid, versus Nic Salts, and what mg?
Thanks Again!!
if u like airy, 0.6 else 1.4 (MTL and best for Nic salt).
how long does it last, is totally depend on your juice, i vape KIlo Honey Cream it can last me 60ML ( which around 2 week times, i vape alot).

dennism

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 18, 2015
Maryland
I vape with the .6 ohm coil, but most of my relatives prefer the 1.4 ohm coil. As SonnyCool said the 1.4 is best for nic salts, but you can vape freebase with the 1.4 if you chose, none of my friends or relatives use nic salts. I use coil friendly(diy) juice and get about 60/75 ml from a coil. When I mix for the 1.4 I use 50/50 juice, when I mix for myself(.6 ohm), I use 30pg/70vg. The nic mg is entirely up to you.

Vicman

ECF Veteran
Jun 6, 2014
Chicago
I use the 1.4 coil in 2 Nords which provide a MTL vape. I have another Nord set up with the .6 coil for a DL hit. I use 18mg in all of the Nords, doesn't matter which coil. I get much better battery life with the 1.4 coils. Coil life for me is pretty good as I use DIY mixes in my Nords and they are not very sweet and have 3-4% total flavorings. They are not my only device I use daily so not really sure how long a coil would last with regular use.

As for nic salts vrs freebase nic, it really depends more on how sweet or dark your juice is. My understanding is, both regular nic and nic salts can be used in any device. It is just nicotine in different forms.

Personally, I only use a few salt liquids for stuff that I like and does not come in 12mg-18mg. I like throat hit, nic salts tend to not give me one. Plus, salts seem to hit fast but I tend to vape more like the satisfaction fades quickly where I want another hit more often.

• Informative

LaZeR

ECF Veteran
Aug 21, 2013
USA & Canada
I agree. They’re not bad devices and have an awesome hit. Coils seem to loose/mute flavor at about 3 days of use. I’m just not a fan of Smok. Their quality control is !$&@ Sometimes I’ll get a batch of good devices and coils from the other times I’ll get a batch of bad devices and coils. My returned mod drawer is full of 99.9% Smok and 1 Sigelei. Sigelei has already replaced the damaged mod. Smok on the other hand has said the mods are considered premature failure and are not covered under warranty.
@MrsWood are you specifically referring to the Smok NORD, or Smok in general?

LaZeR

ECF Veteran
Aug 21, 2013
USA & Canada
I love mine aside from the inconsistent quality of the pods. I bought a Nord so I wouldn't have to replace the pod all the time. I've had mine for about a month and had three pods crack on me. The last two times were in the same day. I bought one right after my pod cracked, and three hours later that one cracked too. Didn't drop it, didn't yank it out of the device, didn't chain vape it. I was astounded. ...
This is Deeply Concerning! :eek:

LaZeR

ECF Veteran
Aug 21, 2013
USA & Canada
... So the question is.....this thing going to be around awhile? I hate the idea of having the spend a ton of money stocking up on coils that might not be around in 6 months.
HOPE SO... and the Smok Nord is kinda like a 2nd version upgrade from the older model so hopefully Smok is sticking with this direction.

LaZeR

ECF Veteran
Aug 21, 2013
USA & Canada
Slight leak seems to have developed with (at least two) pods. I started noticing very minor wetness at the bottom of the chamber where the pod sits. Now (a week later) I am seeing the equivalent of 1-2 drops of juice there when I go to refill. Couldn't figure out where it was coming from. Just now I noticed if I press on the black mouthpiece, I see juice oozing from where the black mouthpiece joins the clear tank. This is on 2 pods, about 3 weeks old.
NOT Good News!! :eek: Anyone else??

Thanks for the Reviews of the Smok Nord. My purchase will include a 5-pack of coils at the same time.
  • Do BOTH styles of coils last around 2 weeks even with Nic Salts, and the Regular Coil lasts longer correct?
Thanks Again!!

I took one hit on the .6 coil and quickly realized that I did not care for it and prefer the MTL 1.4 better.

I had HORRIBLE spitback with my Nord the first few days using 50/50 Nic Salts. Switched to 35mg 70/30 nic salt and it works like a charm.

Also, the video linked earlier in this thread about fixing the leak issue by only inserting the pod until the light flashes worked. I’ve notice way less leaking AND it got rid of the whistle problem I was having. If I fully insert the pod and take a hit it sounds like air/window coming in through a cracked window.

So far I’ve gone through about 15ml of juice in three days and the coil is going strong.

• Optimistic

proax9

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 10, 2011
Pomona, NY
NOT Good News!! :eek: Anyone else??

As far as the 'leak' - by the time the tank (and battery) are depleted there is about a drop of juice in the well where the pod goes. This has been happening consistently for many months ( regardless of juice). *BUT* I do not see this as a problem.- it has not caused any issues with the unit (battery itself). I just dab up the small amount, refill, and move on. Will it cause an issue in the very long term? I don't know- but so far no signs of that. The battery (any built in, non replaceable) will be done in about a year, so these will not last forever either way.

• Optimistic
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread