Still popular?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Falconeer

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Nov 27, 2015
Dunoon, West of Scotland.
Why does this always turn into a fight? Sigh.

Joke: Why did the hamster and gerbil cross the road?

Make up your own answers and post them it would just be a delightful change from the topics at hand.

I do wish a mech user who loves them, takes care of them, and does well with them could just post that without so much flotsam and jetsam.

People post about the regulated mods they love all the time without argument (unless they are smok mods.)

Anna

Falconeer

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Nov 27, 2015
Anna said, "I do wish a mech user who loves them, takes care of them, and does well with them could just post that without so much flotsam and jetsam."

I did in another thread entitled something like "Old Reprobate etc etc."

I thought at that time this useless slugfest with multiple "You said ect etc etc etc" stuff had ended.

People who hold strong views will never change them despite any logical argument - as I have said the thing will always proceed on the basis that facts should never get in the way of a good rant.

At the end of the day - there are some people who prefer mechs and there are some people who prefer regulateds - neither is 100% right or wrong - each to his own and live and let live.

I know what I like, if others don't agree, as Clark Gable said at the end of "Gone with the Wind "Frankly my dear I don't give a damn!"

As we say in Scotland - "Aye right Jimmy I hear you, but Ah'm gonna dae it onywey!"

Both sides really should work to that.

CasketWeaver

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Feb 20, 2014
Decatur, IL 62521
Threads all greased up, switches greased up, and the squish of both switches is much quieter now. Also throw feels much smoother as well. Love it. Love em both.
cc6339c9170760c7a0a24a16d1431231.jpg

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Falconeer

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Nov 27, 2015
Threads all greased up, switches greased up, and the squish of both switches is much quieter now. Also throw feels much smoother as well. Love it. Love em both.
cc6339c9170760c7a0a24a16d1431231.jpg

Seriously nice looking Rig Mod there!

CasketWeaver

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Feb 20, 2014
Decatur, IL 62521
A little TLC, some petroleum jelly (or dielectric grease) works wonders, yeah it will trap dirt, hair, fuzz, dust, and various other particulates, but the grease doesn't allow that crap to get trapped in the threads. When the grease does get dirty, you just take a toothbrush or a q-tip and clean the crud out.

CasketWeaver

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Feb 20, 2014
Decatur, IL 62521
I love the gold one but I defend the other's right to ne camouflaged equally!!!!

Ah yes, the pure copper Rig Rig Mod Descendant with the nifty 6 piece switch.
1. Button
2. Button Housing
3. Contact Pin
4. Spring (Short)
5. Anodized Aluminum Riser
6. Spring (Long)

I think we are on the same wavelength - I use Vaseline which I think is the same thing this side of the pond. I do also have an old baby's toothbrush bought and kept for the same purpose.

Yeah Vaseline (Petroleum Jelly) same thing. I use Vaseline when I don't have anymore tubes of dielectric grease left.

CasketWeaver

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Feb 20, 2014
Decatur, IL 62521
You wouldn’t catch me using petroleum jelly on my mods. A good cleaning and maybe a drop (and I mean a drop) of 3in1 is all you need. If you need “grease” I suggest you need a thorough clean and a polish.

I use the Vaseline or dielectric grease on the threads or anywhere friction may be seen. So, switch threads, top cap threads, and sometimes inside the button housing. Just in case there is an issue where metal starts flaking off somewhere from rubbing together. As I mentioned once before V3Tronix used to package tubes of grease with their V3 Flip, so keeping with traditions, I do the same thing I've always done.

It doesn't affect the operation of the mod.

P3ch3

ECF Veteran
Jan 31, 2019
Mech mods, interesting topic, here are my two cents, outside US,
Mech mods in my country are loved by a few, but hated by the most, I live in a tropical little country were weather and places are amazing, but heat is out of your minds according the place, but, wait a minute… what does this have in common with mech mods?

Well, stores here have scared the most and delivered to this little crew starting on vaping that mech mods are dangerous, they are right, but why to spook people and let the story on danger, cuz regulated mods are the #1 sale in this place, despite when most of them end up damaged by people and improper care of their devices,

I do love mechs, use them cuz they are pretty powerful if you know how to turn’em into little foggy machines, and also could be smart devices that don’t take that much space and require less maintenance or care, why? Cuz they don’t have electronics to be damaged by heat, sand or other external factors,

im pretty crazy about building, rather to do my own research, be prepared for the field!
I do mostly use a simple and humble mech, wismec’s machine RX, my 1st one was a Kennedy cooper mech mod, love it, and love RTA+mech, always try to tell people the truth behind it, battery safety and ohm law, basics for using mechs, and is amazing when having a little talk with someone about mechs to see how a stereotype could make people against simple things!

there is also another side of the crew that trust and uses mech mods like a normal device and follow al the rules, of curse another fact to mention, stores prefer to sell regulated ones, and wash hands of any guilty or possible risk or explosion, something pretty responsible about the stores, but kinda bad they put that angy face on every mech lovers, also prices on most mechs are insane here… have seen some Vgod’s elite clones about 1.5times its original price, also have seen another stores holding like a trophy some well know brands like purge or dotmods because the store owner use them seldom,

Ben85

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 16, 2014
Kent, UK
I use the Vaseline or dielectric grease on the threads or anywhere friction may be seen. So, switch threads, top cap threads, and sometimes inside the button housing. Just in case there is an issue where metal starts flaking off somewhere from rubbing together. As I mentioned once before V3Tronix used to package tubes of grease with their V3 Flip, so keeping with traditions, I do the same thing I've always done.

It doesn't affect the operation of the mod.

If metal starts to “flake off” that’s one poorly constructed mod.

A well made mech needs no lubrication. My 2 most commonly used mechs, a Nemi and a Satburn, just need cleaning and the threads are like butter. As you said, grease just attracts gunk and dirt. You will have way more chance of failure using grease over a decent cleaning.

Falconeer

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Nov 27, 2015
If metal starts to “flake off” that’s one poorly constructed mod.

A well made mech needs no lubrication. My 2 most commonly used mechs, a Nemi and a Satburn, just need cleaning and the threads are like butter. As you said, grease just attracts gunk and dirt. You will have way more chance of failure using grease over a decent cleaning.

Once again each to his own!!!! We all have our own notions, but hey, we have lives to live and some things just aren't worth arguing about.

Glad your system works for you; mine works for me!

Beyond a certain point I just so don't do detail.

Some people don't use the guitar strings I do, some people don't drive the car I do, some people don't like the kind of watches I wear - so what?

I respect your and their right to think as they do - Heavens if we didn't, we'd have blown this world up years ago.

And now somebody wants to argue about grease ... cummon! Let's leave this and all be friends!

Best wishes!

Last edited:

Falconeer

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Nov 27, 2015
At this stage in the proceedings, once again the wise words of Omar the Tentmaker come to my mind, and here I leave this increasingly pointless thread,

Quatrain XLV

"But leave the Wise to wrangle, and with me
The Quarrel of the Universe let be:
And, in some corner of the Hubbub coucht,
Make Game of that which makes as much of Thee."

CasketWeaver

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Feb 20, 2014
Decatur, IL 62521
Something I really love about my mechanical... Garage friendly. No worries of welding junk damaging the chip / circuitry. Probably shouldn't keep it near the plates, beams, or near anything that I'm welding. High heat will damage cells in a heartbeat. So it sits on my shelving unit in a steel basket.
3cbf65b9a0b0a4c56019c934ab8c4f18.jpg
75be86e8468a7b8235d4d21abfad9bf3.jpg

Speaking of, I need to get my cylinders refilled. Just stepped out to lay down some wire, tank gauges reporting empty.

Last edited:

Ben85

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 16, 2014
Kent, UK
At this stage in the proceedings, once again the wise words of Omar the Tentmaker come to my mind, and here I leave this increasingly pointless thread,

Quatrain XLV

"But leave the Wise to wrangle, and with me
The Quarrel of the Universe let be:
And, in some corner of the Hubbub coucht,
Make Game of that which makes as much of Thee."

This is a discussion forum where people share opinions. In this thread there has been discussion, where people have shared opinions.

Just because I have commented on my thoughts on grease doesn’t mean there is an “argument”.

Punk In Drublic

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 28, 2018
Toronto, ON
No worries of welding junk damaging the chip / circuitry.

Welding gunk damaging the chip? Come on….you’re grasping here.

Many of electronics, even just simple consumer grade, are used near welding stations without a worry of gunk damaging their delicate electronics.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread