The costs of running this huge site are paid for by ads. Please consider registering and becoming a Supporting Member for an ad-free experience. Thanks, ECF team.

Svoemesto Kayfun V5

Discussion in 'RTA' started by Sockeye404, May 9, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Image has been removed.
URL has been removed.
Email address has been removed.
Media has been removed.
  1. Mactavish

Mactavish Ultra Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Jan 19, 2010
    New York
    You are correct. I've mentioned this a bunch of times, but folk lore continues. While both PG & VG will feel slippery to the touch, it's not the best lubricant, especially VG, which will get STICKY, the opposite of what you want. You put that tank down for a few days or weeks, and wonder why the JUICE FLOW is stuck, or barely moves.

If you are going to go through all that trouble, and tear down to lube the orings, why not use the products that are meant to LUBE ORINGS?

There are many good products, I trust DOW, they make products for the food industry and have been in business a very long time. While it's no matter to me what folks use, this us what I use:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00X7JXM4C/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o08_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

• Like Like x 6
  2. VIRTWO

VIRTWO Full Member

Jul 5, 2016

Thanks! Looks like I will have to wait till Saturday to get it from Amazon. Will check if Safeway or Homedepot carries something similar on my way to home.

Otherwise makes sense to wait and do it right given the trouble of lubing so many o-rings.

• Like Like x 1
  3. VIRTWO

VIRTWO Full Member

Jul 5, 2016
    One more question.

If I close the air-holes with hand/tape, I am still able to pull (though its hard). Is it normal? I thought I should not be able to pull at all.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Dubminer

Dubminer Ultra Member ECF Veteran

Apr 10, 2016
    Yes that is normal.there is no o ring on the very bottom where the air flow meets the base.

• Like Like x 1
  5. VIRTWO

VIRTWO Full Member

Jul 5, 2016
    Thanks! I thought I root-caused the problem :(

• Like Like x 2
  6. Exchaner

Exchaner Ultra Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Jun 29, 2013
    California
    I read somewhere that mineral oil is also a safe lubricant to use on o-rings. The trick is to lube several times with any lubricant. I use vg myself.

To test for vacuum leak, I cover all the holes and draw some air. If the vacuum stays for a few seconds when covering the drip tip with my tongue, then I have good vacuum. It may not be practical with K5 because it has so many holes to cover ....

• Like Like x 2
  7. Valkyrie_kara

Valkyrie_kara Full Member

Dec 28, 2013
    Valhalla
    burts bees lip balm has been my o rings best friend for years...
    the molykote by dow works very well, too

• Like Like x 1
  8. Mactavish

Mactavish Ultra Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Jan 19, 2010
    New York
    I briefly tried the Burts bees, decided it worked better on my lips then my orings. VG however is ill advised.

• Like Like x 1
  9. VIRTWO

VIRTWO Full Member

Jul 5, 2016
    Thanks guys!

Kayfun is working good now.

Ordered the Dow Corning lube but could not wait (it arrives on Tuesday).

Disassembled the Kayfun. Washed and dried it. Changed all o-rings with the spare except the drip tip ones. Used Burt Bees as lube.

While assembling it back spotted what caused the problem as well. The middle o-ring on Atomizer Deck was not in the right place. It had slipped and was covering juice flow holes on the side just below the top o-ring. Another problem was that the AFC o-ring was damaged. I guess I screwed it while replacing the AFC.

Have vaped 1 tank and no dry hit. Running a 30 gauge 2.5mm coil coming to 2.4ohm at 6w. Have the flow control opened 1.5 turn.

Everything is working smoothly. AFC and flow control seem to be gliding. Lube is important!

Super happy now.

Thanks again everone.

• Like Like x 5
  10. Hadrian21

Hadrian21 Full Member

Dec 3, 2016
    Romania
    Just covered the air holes on my k5 to test what you asked and I wasn't able to draw air.
    It seems you have 1 o-ring missing.
    If I remember correctly I have seen on Svoemesto website and exploded view of k5

• Like Like x 1
  11. VIRTWO

VIRTWO Full Member

Jul 5, 2016
    Yup. 1 o-ring had slid and was covering the juice holes on the sides and AFC o-ring was damaged.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Hadrian21

Hadrian21 Full Member

Dec 3, 2016
    Romania
    I'm glad I could help!
    How does it work now?
    As lubricant I use Balistol made in Germany and I like it.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Edi

Edi Full Member

Sep 5, 2015
    i have a smjy version and i just dont understand that even on the one hole airflow setting its so airy. i breathe in more air when im vaping on it then i get by breathing deeply. im just shocked. i even made a coil from a 0.3mm wire and dropped it in the airflow. didnt help much. then i used tape and taped the outer airflow ring, but it was too tight so i punctured a hole, but then i get whistling and all kinds of noises. i dont get it. how did a kayfun become this??? i have a feeling that something is wrong with mine. no chance that it can be so airy. even the one hole is a full direct to lung vape. nothing close to m2l. will probably order a kit when its available on ft or somewhere for a normal price. 10$ for a couple drilled out screws is a bit stupid. they should have included that with the original and the clones would have it too. just disappointed completely.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Hadrian21

Hadrian21 Full Member

Dec 3, 2016
    Romania
    Just read all the above discussions and I don't understand 1 thing:
    2,4 ohm at 6W
    I just tried this and zero vapours. Actually I just tried 2,04 ohm on 6W and nothing. I waited all 10 sec until the mod disconnected and no vapours. Really zero! I didn't feel any taste and didn't see exhale anything! Had to check even if the mod is working
    I tried even a 0,8 ohm coil on a mech which means about 15W in average and I felt it is not sufficient vapes and changed the coil to 0,62 ohm.

So is it possible to vape with 2,4 ohm at 6W? If yes, how???? Am I missing something???

• Like Like x 2
  15. Dubminer

Dubminer Ultra Member ECF Veteran

Apr 10, 2016
    I would imagine to vape that low wattage then you would need to use very thin wire,maybe 32 awg kanthal a1.

• Like Like x 2
  16. AstroTurf

AstroTurf Happy to be... Not Smoking!!! Verified Member ECF Veteran

Vape watcha like...

17. VIRTWO

VIRTWO Full Member

Jul 5, 2016
    It is awesome now! Lube makes a lot of difference. AFC and Flow control perform better than ever before. Not single a dry hit after 1.5 tank.

• Like Like x 2
  18. VIRTWO

VIRTWO Full Member

Jul 5, 2016

This is what I make:

Wire: 30g (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00MW51HOE/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1)
    Coil diameter: 2.5mm
    Wraps: ~ 8
    Wick: Cotton Bacon V2

After attaching the coils to posts I burn it red and press it with tweezers (saw someone do it some video). At the end the width of coil is nearly equal to the air hole under it.

I run it on Provari Classic. It shows 2.4ohms. I have it set to 6w.

I get decent amount of vapor. Quantity of vapor is a bit more than what I get on my 1.8ohm (reads 1.9ohm on Radius) Kabuki/Radius.

• Like Like x 2
  19. Hadrian21

Hadrian21 Full Member

Dec 3, 2016
    Romania
    Maybe the difference is because I use spaced coil and you use dense coil. With a spaced coil I get insufficient heat for the liquid to evaporate below 10W by over 2 ohm!

• Like Like x 1
  20. VIRTWO

VIRTWO Full Member

Jul 5, 2016
    Potentially thats could be the reason.

Another data point: If I use 28G wire and build a coil of 2.5mm then even with ~2ohms it takes forever to make the coil red.

You can try a higher gauge wire and it may help.

Said all I ended up with a 2.4ohm coil due to no reason. It just felt good to look when I first made the coil and it was easy - so just sticking with it. I sometimes make 2mm coil and end up between 1.6-2.0ohms.

With my level of experience I cannot tell difference between them.

• Like Like x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.