Status
Not open for further replies.

Exchaner

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 29, 2013
California
I had a similar problem with Rayon getting darker on one side. Traced the problem to one of the tails being thicker (or more dense) than the other. This could easily happen when you condense your cotton at one end in order to get it into the coil.

Last edited:

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA
My Tobeco kayfun 5 ($26.99) came in yesterday from Eciggity in Hawaii. Ordered on Thursday using standard USPS shipping ($3.20) and it arrived on Monday.

I've taken it apart and examined it, but haven't done the dishwashing liquid soak in the ultrasonic cleaner yet. I like the simple design and the locking airflow ring. It's a little on the free side in airflow, but not bad at all. It should be a good MTL tank.

Reactions: AstroTurf

Exchaner

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 29, 2013
California
thanks Exchaner!
The problem was actually not entirely like yours but somehow in this area and what you said gave me an idea and I think I figured out the problem!
Re-wicked today and so far so good! Fingers crossed to see next days if problem is really solved or it comes back!

Curious to see what you did and how it came out.

Hadrian21

Dec 3, 2016
Romania
When my K5 was leaking one of the reasons I read in the forums was that the liquid holes may be blocked with cotton. In my case it were the o-rings but the whole leaking messed up my wicking technique. When I checked the length of the wick it seemed it didn't touch the bottom by about 1/2 mm. So I guess it was drawing liquid from 1 side only.
Now I made the wick longer and put it up to the bottom (close at the "too much cotton" limit) and now the wicks left and right of the coil are equally light braun. I'm at the 3-rd tank already. The cotton still gets braun but not as dark as 1 side was in the past but also not that clear as the other side was.
Let's see if the wick can make a whole week of vaping without getting black.
Also I feel the taste much stronger now at the same amount of fog.

VIRTWO

Jul 5, 2016
Hey Guys,

Need some help with my Kayfun V5. Bought one couple of months back not used it much in favor of Kabuki.

Recently I tried using it again as main tank and now 'am facing wicking problem. This problem never used to happen earlier.

Coil: 2.5mm Kanthal 30 gauge 8 wraps
Watt: 6w
Wick: Cotton Bacon V2

Problem: I get dry hits.
The juice does not flow to wick until and unless I open the top cap slightly and close it. It works if I blow hard in it or I do couple of primer puffs. After wicking I open the flow control 2-2.5 turns and I see bubbles coming up. After that once the juice dries up (intial juice on wick for priming) no new juice reaches the wicks. No bubbles rise when I am vaping. When I open the top cap slightly (and then close it) or do strong primer puffs I see bubble comes up. Then again after sometime it just goes dry.

I have various wick length, thickness, putting wick carefully enough to not block any holes, stuffing the wick etc.

Next I am planning to change the o-rings.

Any thoughts?

Exchaner

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 29, 2013
California
Sounds like either have a vacuum leak or your tails might be too short. Have you lubed the o-rings? In my experience the tails slightly covering the juice holes is not a problem- but of course I thin down the end slightly.
Another problem might be that your air flow control is too loose. Hope that helps.

Dubminer

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 10, 2016
Hey Guys,

Need some help with my Kayfun V5. Bought one couple of months back not used it much in favor of Kabuki.

Recently I tried using it again as main tank and now 'am facing wicking problem. This problem never used to happen earlier.

Coil: 2.5mm Kanthal 30 gauge 8 wraps
Watt: 6w
Wick: Cotton Bacon V2

Problem: I get dry hits.
The juice does not flow to wick until and unless I open the top cap slightly and close it. It works if I blow hard in it or I do couple of primer puffs. After wicking I open the flow control 2-2.5 turns and I see bubbles coming up. After that once the juice dries up (intial juice on wick for priming) no new juice reaches the wicks. No bubbles rise when I am vaping. When I open the top cap slightly (and then close it) or do strong primer puffs I see bubble comes up. Then again after sometime it just goes dry.

I have various wick length, thickness, putting wick carefully enough to not block any holes, stuffing the wick etc.

Next I am planning to change the o-rings.

Any thoughts?
@VIRTWO Try another half turn on the JFC.Some of mine need three full turns.

VIRTWO

Jul 5, 2016
Sounds like either have a vacuum leak or your tails might be too short. Have you lubed the o-rings? In my experience the tails slightly covering the juice holes is not a problem- but of course I thin down the end slightly.
Another problem might be that your air flow control is too loose. Hope that helps.

Thanks for the quick reply!

Please excuse any stupid questions - am a total noob.

I did not lube the o-rings. Should I take the whole unit apart and lube everyone of them or just a couple of them will do?

I did change the AFC ring recently but it seems to be tight (at least the screw). I will reopen it today and try again.

Should I replace o-rings? If yes, which ones would be the suspects?

How do we test if it is vacuum leak?

At this point have tries like 15 wick variations and coil in last 2 days so ruling out wick itself to be the problem.

Dubminer

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 10, 2016
I am using Halo Tribeca (assuming its 50:50 mix). Yup its cold! Will adding a few drops of water do the thining trick?

Did not notice any leaking.
It should not need water if it is 50/50.Also only ever use distilled water to thin out juice.I would definetly say lube all o rings up to start with,i use VG.You could try letting the juice get to room temparature,if the problem goes away then you know it is because of the temperature.

VIRTWO

Jul 5, 2016
It should not need water if it is 50/50.Also only ever use distilled water to thin out juice.I would definetly say lube all o rings up to start with,i use VG.You could try letting the juice get to room temparature,if the problem goes away then you know it is because of the temperature.

Thanks! I will try lubing the o-rings today evening. Let's see how it goes.

Reactions: Dubminer

Hadrian21

Dec 3, 2016
Romania
I would suggest to take all o-rings down very carefully not to damage them by dismounting, inspect them, lube them in your hand then install them back if not damaged. Sometimes dry placed o-rings can twist a little and as much as you lube them after they will not do the job properly. If they are lubed they almost place by themselves back. You will be amazed after how smooth everything on your K5 works.

Reactions: Exchaner

VIRTWO

Jul 5, 2016
I would suggest to take all o-rings down very carefully not to damage them by dismounting, inspect them, lube them in your hand then install them back if not damaged. Sometimes dry placed o-rings can twist a little and as much as you lube them after they will not do the job properly. If they are lubed they almost place by themselves back. You will be amazed after how smooth everything on your K5 works.

Thanks!

I will lube all the o-rings today evening. Will lube it with the e-juice.

Fingers crossed that it will fix the problems.

Hadrian21

Dec 3, 2016
Romania
I don't like to lube with e-liquid because by the first cleaning they get dry and relubing on surface will not have the same results. There are lubricants for food industry. Get a spray like that because it stays on the o-rings much longer. Use for this evening labello or some other stuff like that. Doesn't get off so easy in contact with water.

VIRTWO

Jul 5, 2016
I don't like to lube with e-liquid because by the first cleaning they get dry and relubing on surface will not have the same results. There are lubricants for food industry. Get a spray like that because it stays on the o-rings much longer. Use for this evening labello or some other stuff like that. Doesn't get off so easy in contact with water.

Sounds rationale.

Labello it is then :)

Mactavish

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 19, 2010
New York

You are correct. I've mentioned this a bunch of times, but folk lore continues. While both PG & VG will feel slippery to the touch, it's not the best lubricant, especially VG, which will get STICKY, the opposite of what you want. You put that tank down for a few days or weeks, and wonder why the JUICE FLOW is stuck, or barely moves.

If you are going to go through all that trouble, and tear down to lube the orings, why not use the products that are meant to LUBE ORINGS?

There are many good products, I trust DOW, they make products for the food industry and have been in business a very long time. While it's no matter to me what folks use, this us what I use:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00X7JXM4C/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o08_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread