the best start

Status
Not open for further replies.

BenJammin

ECF Veteran
Mar 2, 2009
Richmond Virginia, USA
I just got my 601 yesterday! I had originally looked at pipes before I settled on a Super Mini back when I first started vaping. They were far too expensive only 8 months ago. However, when a supplier I had previously used for cheap cartridges etc. started slashing prices on pipes, I just had to have one. I'm very impressed with this pipe. It emulates a classic pipe in look, feel, and weight much better than the e-cigs emulate analogs. It just feels more natural as contradictory as that sounds.
As to flavor, I haven't noticed a lack of it. I've found that by vaping it more like the pipe that it is (instead of huffing it as a cigarette) I get a satisfying amount of flavor. I draw more slowly, hold the vapor in a little longer in my mouth before inhaling, and occasionally exhale through my nose. Taste is a compound sense. Salty, sweet, bitter, sour are sensed on the tongue, but the nuances of flavor are actually an artifact of smell. This is why wine snobs sniff their fine wines before sampling them and why you can't taste a thing when you've got a head cold. I can't wait to get my hands on some premium juice to try out in this thing. The generic tobacco flavor is pleasant enough, but not as robust as I would like. I think the biggest problem is probably the juice.
Bear in mind these are my first impressions of the pipe. Today will be the first full day of testing.

BenJammin

ECF Veteran
Mar 2, 2009
Richmond Virginia, USA
WOW! I'm absolutely loving this pipe! The cart holds sooo much juice and the batt lasts all day!
And I've learned some new tricks I would like to share!
The quantity of vapor started to drop off mid-morning of the first day and I began to suspect either the battery or a dry cart. Well I pulled the cart and poked inside the batting with a tooth pick and found plenty of juice below the surface. So I squished and fluffed the batting gently with the toothpick until it looked freshly "re-hydrated" and popped it back in. Vaping big thick beautiful ribbons of technofog once again! Later in the day I experienced another reduction in vapor, ah ha! my Magic Toothpick to the rescue! But, the batting was still quite wet. Hmmm? Then it struck me: Maybe the atty is so saturated now it can't reach full operating temperature? I popped out the cart and vaped without it. Slowly taking a few priming puffs, and within less than a minute this Little Engine was chugging right on up that hill like a champion. Copius amounts of vapor, without a cart! I was tempted to see how long this could go on, but was afraid of frying the atty. After the vapor simmered down to normal levels, I re-installed the cartridge. I've been playing with this effect now for the past 3 days, and have pretty much gotten it down to a science. If neither of these techniques work then it means I'm running low on juice, either chemical or electrical.
OOOooo:p
:evil:I found some leftover Fierce Chocolate in my goodie drawer!
Topped up a cart with about 3 or 4 drops. It tastes better in the DSE601 pipe than it ever did in my RN4081 super mini. The Camel is quite nice as well. I'm gonna have to order up a sampler pack and maybe give some previous juices a second look. I've got a powerful hankering for French Pipe now.
Gto4, which Cherry do you recommend?

Thyestean

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 29, 2009
Upstate NY
McCordRM : LitecigUSA has empty carts for the 601 Pipe 601 Cartridges and I know he is good on getting orders out fast.

Glad you revived this thread as I have been thinking about getting a 601 for my father for christmas since he recently mentioned switching from regular smokes back to a pipe and I don't think he would go out and buy one of these but probably would try it long enough to get used to it if I gave him one. Glad to see it has good reviews.

xybe

ECF Veteran
Nov 5, 2009
Montevideo, Uruguay.
Another two pack + a day smoker here, got mine yesterday. Now we are talking. I only had 901s before and I found them too temperamental, had to vape just right for them to work, the atty would get hot really fast and there was just not enough vapor for me.

But the 601 is a thing of beauty, clouds of vapor! And although I am still smoking analogs I think with the 601 I will be weaning myself of them. This e-pipe helps a lot with the cravings.

I am still not over the rubbery taste of it, I hope the taste subsides eventually. Right now I am dripping to experiment with different flavors and nicotine strengths, so far menthol helps with the burnt rubber flavor.

On the subject of dripping, this doesn't seem need as much juice as I thought based on the amount of vapor it produces.

BenJammin

ECF Veteran
Mar 2, 2009
Richmond Virginia, USA
McCordRM, the cartridges I'm using are "re-treads". Just rinsed out the filler from original carts, patted dry, stuffed it back in and refilled with whatever juice I wanted. I've also done cart mods with coffee filters, Pyramid Tea Bags, etc. same things the others are using on their ciggy's. Lately I've switched to dripping pretty much full time. You've gotta watch out how much you use though or you'll flood the atty. Two or more drops, but no more than seven or it'll gurgle like the last slurp of a chocolate shake:D. Drip only what you intend to vape in one sitting. I find 2 drops to be equal to about 1 cigarette. You have a much bigger target when you're dripping with a pipe, the tiny atty on the super-mini was always a complete PITA. Equipment failure was an ongoing problem with the cigs, the only time my 601 ever let me down was after I dropped it from off an 8 ft ladder at work, so the drop was more like from a 12 ft working height8-o. The damn thing still vaped like a champ, it just leaked juice like a sieve from the multiple cracks. I'm more careful now:oops:.

the_cold_revolution

ECF Veteran
Nov 16, 2009
St. Louis MO
www.myspace.com
wow great info everyone!

I was browsing through healthcabin.com and contemplating my next largish order and seen this little sucker.

It looks so real and reading the specs to find out it performs like an e-ciggy with expensive mods (bat life, vapor production) it looks insane!
The price def now seems more worth it.

Would you say it would be okay for someone to start with a pipe? I ask because I know my father would never buy one as well Thyestean. He said when I showed him "maybe I'll give it a try, but I'm gonna keep trying on my own for now."

Let me give you his backround. Ever since I was little I remember him smoking a pipe, then as I got older he switched to cigars. (I had a Dutchmasters cigar box, for art supplies in 5th grade. my how things have changed!) When I hit highschool or so, he started smoking analogs. He has never, ever smoked in one of his houses, and I know he is the type that likes to "get away from it all" to take a puff. He has also tried patches, gum, and a staple in his ear. (blame my step-mom for that last one) I do not think he will ever admitt he can not quit. I feel like it was harder to get up in the morning, than quit smoking with the help of my dse901. I was going to give him a kit like mine, but I seen this pipe, and I think it would be perfect. He has a temper, and my 901 can be tempermental at times. I don't know if it seems like a big fuss, but I could see him not getting any vapor and throwing it at something else expensive. Anyway, he's a good guy and I want him to stop smoking before it is too late!

So, is this the perfect early Christmas present or what?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread