Status
Not open for further replies.

Scubabatdan

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 14, 2009
Dothan, AL
Well I was playing and decided to try using 400 stainless steel in this. Well to make the dripping effective I cut two penny size pieces of batting material and cut a hole in the center for a path for vapor and it holds a fair amount of liquid. Well see below for the pics...
Dan

Attachments

• iPhone 011.jpg
    iPhone 011.jpg
    39.5 KB · Views: 475
  • iPhone 013.jpg
    iPhone 013.jpg
    38.6 KB · Views: 434
  • iPhone 014.jpg
    iPhone 014.jpg
    41.8 KB · Views: 451
  • iPhone 015.jpg
    iPhone 015.jpg
    42 KB · Views: 449
  • iPhone 016.jpg
    iPhone 016.jpg
    39.4 KB · Views: 457

Scubabatdan

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 14, 2009
Dothan, AL
So....... how does it work? Does it do what you want it to do?

Alice

Well it vapes very nice on my provari :) and I do not get off tastes, clean from the first vape. Also I can go longer between adding drips, and I can drip more into it since the batting absorbs it. I would say 1.5-2ml is what it holds. Since it is away from the heating coil it does not burn the batting.

Ditto....Very cool though...My hands start shaking just looking at it though...I really like the filler material with the hole in it...I tried fiddling with batting once but never thought make a hole...Let us know how this works for you...Thanks
Drew

Works like a champ Drew, this design is similar to a mod I made, but I inverted a larg resivoir over the top that held 10ml. Let me see if I can find a pic...

IMAG0267.jpg IMAG0262.jpg IMAG0264.jpg IMAG0265.jpg

Yep here they are...
Dan

Scubabatdan

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 14, 2009
Dothan, AL
WOW!!! Those almost look like they were made in a factory...Aside from the slight imperfections in the puddy like looking material, you would swear that thing came out f a factory... Nicely done...
Drew

Thanks, have my own metal lathe and drill press/mill...
Hey just did a video of how it works, it is uploading to youtube as we speak. I will post it here when it is done.
Dan

ADDED:

Here is the video:

Last edited:

Scubabatdan

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 14, 2009
Dothan, AL
I Love it!!! Got any links for the mesh and the best source for 34 gauge Nichrome? Also would be interested in your thoughts on the Kanthal...
Also I am curious if the stainless has any affect on the Ohms and the conductivity...Thanks
Drew

Hi Drew,
I got the #400 SS mesh from: The Mesh Company: Online Shop for Woven, Knitted and Perforated Mesh for Art, Craft, Floristry, Modelling and Engineering
And I got 100' of 34ga nichrome wire for $6.50 from: Nichrome Wire
I have not used Kanthal... yet
So long as you properly oxidize the mesh there is zero conductivity and no afftect on ohms.
To oxidize, heat the mesh (once rolled to shape) until cherry red with a butane tourch then quench it in water. Do this three times, a layer of oxidation forms that inhibits conductivity but allows the juice to wick very nicely.
So you gonna be at Vapestock in FL?
Hope to meet ya there.
Oh an how do I get my name on the list for the Darwin :)
Dan

Last edited:

Scubabatdan

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 14, 2009
Dothan, AL
Nice work Dan, what are you using for the putty?

I am actually using Marine Plastic Epoxy Putty, it's in most automotive stores. Comes in a tube and is a 2 part putty. Just cut off a piece and knead until it is a uniform color, then press into place. It hardens quick (15 min) so you have to be fast. Let it cure and it is ready to go.
Real easy to work with.
Hope that helps.
Dan

Scubabatdan

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 14, 2009
Dothan, AL
Thanks Dan and I will be at Vapestock ...I dont really have a list for the next release but if you keep an eye on the thread here in this subforum, there should plenty to go around for people...I hope!!! Thanks again for sharing this...Its really pretty genius , if you ask me...
Drew

Cool will be watching, no problem I like to share... Oh and I made it all day with out having to drip any liquid in. Just had to refill the batting a hour ago! Yay an all day vape :)
Dan

Scubabatdan

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 14, 2009
Dothan, AL
Here are the basics on oxidizing your 400ss mesh.
Cut a piece out, roll it on a pin or paperclip, heat it with a butane torch, quench it in water, repeat a total of 3 times.
Here are a couple pics... pretty easy once you get the hang on it.
Notice the pic with the two pieces of 400SS wraps, the one above is before heating and the one below is after.
Dan

Attachments

• iPhone 018.jpg
    iPhone 018.jpg
    38.6 KB · Views: 135
  • iPhone 019.jpg
    iPhone 019.jpg
    37.1 KB · Views: 131
  • iPhone.jpg
    iPhone.jpg
    41.4 KB · Views: 160
Last edited:

Nomoreash

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 9, 2010
Chattanooga, TN
I Love it!!! Got any links for the mesh and the best source for 34 gauge Nichrome? Also would be interested in your thoughts on the Kanthal...
Also I am curious if the stainless has any affect on the Ohms and the conductivity...Thanks
Drew

I've been using 32ga Kanthal for the coil. Vaping on one now I cut to 2.5" length made a 4 loop coil then snipped 1/8"ish excess off each leg after securing it, came out to 2.4 ohms. Once it's built I can't tell any difference. When making it the Kanthal was easier to work with and I didn't worry about breaking it.

I've got some 34ga Nichrome coiming in from the link Dan posted, I'll try that next along with his method when I get the mesh.

Scubabatdan

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 14, 2009
Dothan, AL
How long are these lasting for you?

Mine last about a days worth of vaping then fail to produce vapor.

Am I doing something wrong?

I am on a week now, I found that the coil wires that Nhaler supplies seems to have a short life (No offense drew) I use the 34 and 32 ga nichrome wire from the previous post and it has lasted a week now. Might try nichrome 60, 100' for 6.50 I think will make approx 480 2.5" coils. Thats 1.35 cents a piece!
Dan

Scubabatdan

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 14, 2009
Dothan, AL
dan, what are the differences of the nichrome 60 and kanthal 32 wire.(wire thickness)
what are the gauge difference in thickness from 32 kanthal and 34 kanthal ?

I have not used the Kanthal so I can not really comment. I have used nichrome 60 and 80 and the 60 seems to last longer than the 80 does. That is about all I can do to help. If anyone has used both it would be great to get their perspective.
Dan

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread