Status
Not open for further replies.

PapawBrett

Retired
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 16, 2012
Monroe NC
I tried a French press, but it kept going around the filter instead if through.
Take your time and apply slow, steady pressure. It usually takes 3- 4 minutes to carefully use my AeroPress, anything faster and the extract starts to go around the filter instead of through.
Fast isn't the objective. Filtration is.

• Agree
Reactions: Bronze

Bronze

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 19, 2012
I tried a French press, but it kept going around the filter instead if through.
Take your time and apply slow, steady pressure. It usually takes 3- 4 minutes to carefully use my AeroPress, anything faster and the extract starts to go around the filter instead of through.
Fast isn't the objective. Filtration is.
Good advice. I’ll be deliberate.

Bronze

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 19, 2012
That new roof cost a lot more than an AeroPress ($30 + shipping) and 7cm filters ($11 + shipping).

But if you're anything like me, you're still smarting from the cost of the roof :shock:
It was a $20,000 roof but I got State Farm to pay $19,000 of it. :laugh:

PapawBrett

Retired
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 16, 2012
Monroe NC
Cornell & Diehl Three Friars - Pipes and Cigars

Extracted (cold maceration) - Winter of 2020
Mixed (30/70 PG/VG w/ 10 mg nicotine) - April 2020

Smooth and mellow, with a base flavor reminiscent of roasted cashews. And quite enjoyable.
This is my first venture into a Virginia/ Burley/ Perique blend. At pipesandcigars.com this selection is listed as an English style blend with a balanced flavor intensity. Not as many reviews as some of the more popular tobaccos on the p&c site, but all were favorable. I do not consider myself a fan of Burley tobaccos, which until now I found weak and boring. Until now.
The very good, quality dark Burley is the strength and center of this blend, thus the roasted cashews undertone. The Virginia is neither grassy or overly sweet, I am guessing they used a brown Virginia (instead of a bright). This brown Virginia backs up the Burley, and maybe adds a little depth. The ever-so-slight spice of a real, true Perique is noticeable on the exhale, and once in awhile the palate picks it up during draw, but it is a slight addition to this Burley first blend.
Although it is listed at p&c as an English blend, I disagree. This selection is nowhere near as strong or as pungent as the English Blends I have tried (VooDoo Queen, Early Morning, Nightcap and others). It is not weak or boring either. This is an American medium-bodied blend similar of many of the tobacco blends H&H and C&D are offering these days.
I personally find this smooth, mellow yet flavorful blend of Burley first, backed up ever so slightly by selected VaPer tobacco, to be a good vape. Finding this blend is reminiscent of tasting roasted cashew for the first time, a new treat that is neither sweet or gooey yet very tasty. Might not go so far on the second day as to call it a "Keeper", but this one does go into the "reorder" rotation.

Last edited:

Bronze

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 19, 2012
Cornell & Diehl Three Friars - Pipes and Cigars

Mixed (30/70 PG/VG w/ 10 mg nicotine) - April 2020

Smooth and mellow, with a base flavor reminiscent of roasted cashews. And quite enjoyable.
This is my first venture into a Virginia/ Burley/ Perique blend. At pipesandcigars.com this selection is listed as an English style blend with a balanced flavor intensity. Not as many reviews as some of the more popular tobaccos on the p&c site, but all were favorable. I do not consider myself a fan of Burley tobaccos, which until now I found weak and boring. Until now.
The very good, quality dark Burley is the strength and center of this blend, thus the roasted cashews undertone. The Virginia is neither grassy or overly sweet, I am guessing they used a brown Virginia (instead of a bright). This brown Virginia backs up the Burley, and maybe adds a little depth. The ever-so-slight spice of a real, true Perique is noticeable on the exhale, and once in awhile the palate picks it up during draw, but it is a slight addition to this Burley first blend.
Although it is listed at p&c as an English blend, I disagree. This selection is nowhere near as strong or as pungent as the English Blends I have tried (VooDoo Queen, Early Morning, Nightcap and others). It is not weak or boring either. This is an American medium-bodied blend similar of many of the tobacco blends H&H and C&D are offering these days.
I personally find this smooth, mellow yet flavorful blend of Burley first, backed up ever so slightly by selected VaPer tobacco, to be a good vape. Finding this blend is reminiscent of tasting roasted cashew for the first time, a new treat that is neither sweet or gooey yet very tasty. Might not go so far on the second day as to call it a "Keeper", but this one does go into the "reorder" rotation.
Interesting.

Bronze

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 19, 2012
Review of the five following chocolate NETs from Pipes & Cigars:

Sutliff Chocolate Mousse - Pipes and Cigars
Sutliff Chocolate Supreme - Pipes and Cigars
Super Value Chocolate - Pipes and Cigars
Scotty's Bulk Blends - Honey & Chocolate - Pipes and Cigars
Sutliff Chocolate Truffle - Pipes and Cigars

I am reviewing all five together because I got the same result from all five. There is no chocolate flavor. That is what I was after. So these were a complete disappointment. Not sure why the chocolate did not come through to the vape because the pipe smokers got chocolate from it. Perhaps it got filtered out (I ended with a 2 micron filter). But I wanted chocolate and I did not get it. The tobacco came through just fine but I'm not going to do a review on a chocolate vape when it doesn't taste like chocolate.

• Informative
Reactions: PapawBrett

Bronze

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 19, 2012
Blending - Dark Fired Kentucky Burley - Pipes and Cigars

Extracted (cold): Winter, 2020
Mixed 70/30 (PG/VG) @ 15% nic - May, 2020

I've vaped a number of different fire cured tobaccos and find the tobacco used in the curing is not so important. The fire curing takes over the flavor. The tobacco simply determines the strength. I've always enjoyed fire cured vapes. This one is no exception. I would classify it as a medium strength flavor. Has a nice smoky feel and flavor to it without being overly rich like some fire cureds are. Doesn't dry out the mouth too much perhaps due to the Burley base. Good alone or as an additive for other NETs that need a little life.

Reactions: PapawBrett

PapawBrett

Retired
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 16, 2012
Monroe NC
Blending - Dark Fired Kentucky Burley - Pipes and Cigars

Extracted (cold): Winter, 2020
Mixed 70/30 (PG/VG) @ 15% nic - May, 2020

I've vaped a number of different fire cured tobaccos and find the tobacco used in the curing is not so important. The fire curing takes over the flavor. The tobacco simply determines the strength. I've always enjoyed fire cured vapes. This one is no exception. I would classify it as a medium strength flavor. Has a nice smoky feel and flavor to it without being overly rich like some fire cureds are. Doesn't dry out the mouth too much perhaps due to the Burley base. Good alone or as an additive for other NETs that need a little life.

You may want to discuss this with our friend @LAwaters .
Way back about the time I started this little thread, she had mentioned a neighbor occasionally walking out onto the back terrace and lighting up a quality cigar, which she said she sometimes misses.
I sent her a Stoved Virginia from the now defunct McClellan tobacco company (deeming made it difficult to find the quality leafs, so McClellan closed shop).
She enjoyed it, but I can't make an extract from tobacco that no longer exists.
Maybe P.M. her ... ?

LAwaters

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Feb 25, 2014
Getting reacquainted with Home & Hearth Virginia Spice. Sweet Virginia and a touch of Perique with a Maduro cigar wrapper leaf blended in to give a mild VaPer an extra smooth and creamy touch. I reviewed this back on page 4, and it still holds true as one of my 'Keepers'.

I’m making note of this one, because of the presence of the Maduro cigar wrapper. My cigar of choice was always a Maduro.

You may want to discuss this with our friend @LAwaters .
Way back about the time I started this little thread, she had mentioned a neighbor occasionally walking out onto the back terrace and lighting up a quality cigar, which she said she sometimes misses.
I sent her a Stoved Virginia from the now defunct McClellan tobacco company (deeming made it difficult to find the quality leafs, so McClellan closed shop).
She enjoyed it, but I can't make an extract from tobacco that no longer exists.
Maybe P.M. her ... ?

Thanks for thinking of me! I actually still have some of what you sent me. The urge doesn’t hit often anymore. And I don’t have that neighbor to stir it up. :)

Bronze

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 19, 2012
Perique (Stixx Mixx)
Perique | Stixx Mixx
Mixed at 8%, 70/30 PG/VG, 15% nic

This is another very good tobacco extract from Stixx Mixx. I've always enjoyed Perique but for whatever reason this one seems to stand out. Make no mistake, it's perique and it's mild. And it has that slightly raw/sweet taste that perique vapers are familiar with. It's like a Virginian without the grassy notes. But what I find unique about this particular extract is how void it is of dryness. This makes it a vape that can satisfy for longer periods of time. Nothing ash tray about this one. I suspect a drop or two of your favorite vanilla would accent it nicely as well, but it is plenty good on its own. I am experimenting with adding other accent flavors as well just to soothe my curiosity. But for now, Perique by Stixx Mixx is a thumbs up.

Note: I mixed this back in February so it has a good 5 month steep on it (I sorta forgot about it). One thing I have noticed about perique in the past is it requires a longer steep time. It can be very raw and actually quite overpowering when fresh. Perique ages well so if you try it inside of a month, don't pour it down the drain if you don't like it. Hang on to it and give it another go after at least a few months.

Last edited:

PapawBrett

Retired
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 16, 2012
Monroe NC
Sutliff Mellow Peach - Pipes and Cigars

Mixed @ 10% (30/70 PG/VG w/ 10mg nicotine) - April 2020

I must admit I was a little apprehensive when purchasing this selection, as I have had a few bad experiences trying to extract flavors from tobaccos with fruit/ citrus toppings. But this one came out ok.
The p&c website offers this as a Virginia based Cavendish blended with a flavored black Cavendish. It is rated a mild flavor and a mild room note, so I thought "why not ?"
Trying this out in a REOS VV Woodvil with a Hellfire (VAF) atomizer, I find I am closing the air flow down to an almost cigarette-like draw to get the flavor out of this selection. It is definitely a mild flavor, but there is some flavor there. The black Cavendish is the body of this flavor, the peach topping is there but not up front and center stage. The Virginia is in the background, there to add a little sweetness to the blend. It comes across mild, sweet and inoffensive on the intake, with a little bit of a sweet peach flavor on the exhale.
I find this to be more of a mild dessert flavor, probably not enough body and flavor to be an All-Day vape, but rather something to be enjoyed after a good meal.

Last edited:

Bronze

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 19, 2012
Cornell & Diehl Three Friars

Sampling from Pop's stock. The Milder Side of NET's

As Pop stated in his review, Three Friars is a Burley, Perique, Virginia blend. This is a medium bodied vape. Plenty of flavor without the harshness. I find the Perique and Burley dominating this vape. I get very little Virginia out of this one. I'm sure it impacts the sweetness level but I'm thinking the Burley is impacting this flavor far more than the Virginia. The most dominate flavor is the Perique. It has that pure light/medium tobacco feel and flavor. Almost cigarish more than pipe. The sweeter note of the Perique is bent by the Burley which I think Pop is referring to as the cashew note. It is a deeper, toastier sweet note than you find in either Perique or Burley by itself. Combined and it makes for a unique sweet flavor that makes this vape more lasting. This is not a sweet vape, make no mistake. But the subtle sweetness it imparts is quite tasty. Again, I find this blend to be closer to a cigar than a pipe. Nothing artificial about it. All in all, I agree with Pop. This one is pretty good.

Last edited:

PapawBrett

Retired
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 16, 2012
Monroe NC
Cornell & Diehl Oriental Silk No. 414 - Pipes and Cigars

Extracted (cold maceration) Winter of 2020
Mixed @10% (30/70 PG/VG w/10mg nic) April 2020

Advertised as sweet Virginia wedded to quality Turkish with a small addition of Perique rather than the usual Latakia. Not many reviews, but a majority of which were very positive.
At first blush this vapes very much like a quality Turkish cigarette tobacco, but once the palate adjusts the Virginia marries into the taste, making it a sweet Turkish flavor. The Perique is in the background, but not entirely absent. It's spice and body lightly adds to the Virginia/ Turkish forefront to keep it rich and interesting.
Perhaps the most noticeable thing about this extraction is the quality of the tobaccos. The Turkish is not harsh, the Virginia is not grassy. This is a quality flavor produced by quality tobaccos.
I've extracted this flavor before. For my personal taste, it's more of an occasional change-of-pace than a regular in my rotation. However, I can see where others might consider this to be a "must have".

Last edited:

Bronze

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 19, 2012
Cornell & Diehl Oriental Silk No. 414 - Pipes and Cigars

Extracted (cold maceration) Winter of 2020
Mixed @10% (30/70 PG/VG w/10mg nic) April 2020

Advertised as sweet Virginia wedded to quality Turkish with a small addition of Perique rather than the usual Latakia. Not many reviews, but a majority of which were very positive.
At first blush this vapes very much like a quality Turkish cigarette tobacco, but once the palate adjusts the Virginia marries into the taste, making it a sweet Turkish flavor. The Perique is in the background, but not entirely absent. It's spice and body lightly adds to the Virginia/ Turkish forefront to keep it rich and interesting.
Perhaps the most noticeable thing about this extraction is the quality of the tobaccos. The Turkish is not harsh, the Virginia is not grassy. This is a quality flavor produced by quality tobaccos.
I've extracted this flavor before. For my personal taste, it's more of an occasional change-of-pace than a regular in my rotation. However, I can see where others might consider this to be a "must have".
I like orientals. Not a fan of Virginia though but you say it doesn't have much of that grassy flavor so I'm looking forward to trying this from your stash. Is there any of that spicy note present in most orientals?

Reactions: Blitzdonlife

PapawBrett

Retired
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 16, 2012
Monroe NC
I like orientals. Not a fan of Virginia though but you say it doesn't have much of that grassy flavor so I'm looking forward to trying this from your stash. Is there any of that spicy note present in most orientals?

A little, probably from the Perique as much as the Turkish.
Do you have that one ?

PapawBrett

Retired
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 16, 2012
Monroe NC
Lane Limited Dark Red - Pipes and Cigars

I probably learned more researching this one than vaping it.
Green River Cavendish is actually a Kentucky Burley that is sprayed with sugar water, then toasted until the sugar caramelized and the leafs turn black. Normally this is used as a "blending tobacco" with Latakia, or even an Oriental/ Perique blend.
The Lane Tobacco company uses this Green River Cavendish as a base tobacco for several of it's Aromatic blends, including Dark Red.
At first blush it was CHERRY !!!!, like the kind of syrup you sprinkle over vanilla ice cream, or from a jar of marichino cherries.
As the day went along, and my taste buds acclimated, the cherry top notes calmed, and a very mild and smooth tobacco was highlighted by cherry, caramel and vanilla flavors.
But make no mistake, this is a Cherry first flavor, a touch of caramel to richen, and a slight sweetness, built on a foundation of mild, toasted Burley.
As cherry tobacco flavors go, this is mild and enjoyable.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread