Status
Not open for further replies.

PapawBrett

Retired
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 16, 2012
Monroe NC
Thank you, @classwife. Doesn't seem too much action in this section lately, so maybe I will start talking to myself in this thread. (140 posts have over 5500 views, so I guess I am not alone here)
Winter has arrived. Another order from pipesandcigars.com has been placed. Unfortunately several of my old favorites are not available.
Decatur Black Cherry is no longer available as a product due to government regulations, so it is offered as a mix-it-yourself kit. But I have no use for a one pound bag when I only use one ounce for extraction purposes.
Also, Peter Stokkebye's 84 Turkish is only available in one pound bags, and Cornell & Deihl Oriental Silk is out of stock. But with over 400 selections, it is not like there are not other options.
Some old favorite are still available. Home and Hearth's Anniversary Kake, Midtown Chestnut, Louisiana Red and Virginia Spice are reordered, as are Cornell & Deihl Three Friars and Scotty's Honey & Chocolate.
But there will be some new-to-me tobaccos. I've waited several years to try Cornell & Deihl Yorktown, a stoved red Virginia mixed with a bright Virginia, stoved again and mixed with a red Virginia. I will also be trying Cornell & Deihl Crooner, Bing Crosby's personal blend of Burley with an added touch of the herb deertongue. Also, C&D Haunted Bookshop, a Burley first blend of Burley, Virginia and Perique. I will also be trying a couple of aromatics from master blender Russ Oullette; Russ' Nation Capitol, a Black Cavendish with cherry and vanilla top notes, and Russ' Fudge Cake, a Burley and Black Cavendish mix with a chocolate top note (thinking of our old friend @Bronze). Add Home and Hearth's Caramel Apple Pie, a mild aromatic, and the order is complete.
Hopefully next week I will sinking these selections into PG for their three month long nap.

Last edited:

Bronze

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 19, 2012
Thank you, @classwife. Doesn't seem to much action in this section lately, so maybe I will start talking to myself in this thread. (140 posts have over 5500 views, so I guess I am not alone here)
Winter has arrived. Another order from pipesandcigars.com has been placed. Unfortunately several of my old favorites are not available.
Decatur Black Cherry is no longer available as a product due to government regulations, so it is offered as a mix-it-yourself kit. But I have no use for a one pound bag when I only use one ounce for extraction purposes.
Also, Peter Stokkebye's 84 Turkish is only available in one pound bags, and Cornell & Deihl Oriental Silk is out of stock. But with over 400 selections, it is not like there are not other options.
Some old favorite are still available. Home and Hearth's Anniversary Kake, Midtown Chestnut, Louisiana Red and Virginia Spice are reordered, as are Cornell & Deihl Three Friars and Scotty's Honey & Chocolate.
But there will be some new-to-me tobaccos. I've waited several years to try Cornell & Deihl Yorktown, a stoved red Virginia mixed with a bright Virginia, stoved again and mixed with a red Virginia. I will also be trying Cornell & Deihl Crooner, Bing Crosby's personal blend of Burley with an added touch of the herm deertongue. Also, C&D Haunted Bookshop, a Burley first blend of Burley, Virginia and Perique. I will also be trying a couple of aromatics from master blender Russ Oullette; Russ' Nation Capitol, a Black Cavendish with cherry and vanilla top notes, and Russ' Fudge Cake, a Burley and Black Cavendish mix with a chocolate top note (thinking of our old friend @Bronze). Add Home and Hearth's Caramel Apple Pie, a mild aromatic, and the order is complete.
Hopefully next week I will sinking these selections into PG for their three month long nap.
Put me on your generosity list for a sampler of that chocolate one.

I went back and tried my chocolate vapes again thinking it possible age might bring out the chocolate flavor. No go. Don’t know why I get no chocolate flavor from any of those chocolate tobacco extractions. Only thing I can figure is I filtered it out.

Reactions: PapawBrett

PapawBrett

Retired
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 16, 2012
Monroe NC
Put me on your generosity list for a sampler of that chocolate one.

I went back and tried my chocolate vapes again thinking it possible age might bring out the chocolate flavor. No go. Don’t know why I get no chocolate flavor from any of those chocolate tobacco extractions. Only thing I can figure is I filtered it out.

Not a big fan of Sutliff tobaccos. Maybe Newminster or Russ' would be better... ?

Reactions: Bronze

PapawBrett

Retired
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 16, 2012
Monroe NC
they weren’t all sutliff. None of them retained the chocolate flavor.

I am certainly no chemist. but I wonder if PG somehow is incapable of adapting to chocolate the way it adapts to tobacco and other flavors ?
But then, how would Vendors sell chocolate flavors for DIY ?

Doffy

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 15, 2014
Australia
I am certainly no chemist. but I wonder if PG somehow is incapable of adapting to chocolate the way it adapts to tobacco and other flavors ?
But then, how would Vendors sell chocolate flavors for DIY ?
Cacao makes an OK extract. Add natural extract of coffee beans for a good mocha juice

Have not tried it with NETs, which are a stronger flavour. I imagine decent percentage would get it there though

(careful with extracts other than tobacco, coffee, cacao)

I find that the chocolate or coffee flavours just make me crave a vape, which always goes with drinks

Bronze

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 19, 2012
Cacao makes an OK extract. Add natural extract of coffee beans for a good mocha juice

Have not tried it with NETs, which are a stronger flavour. I imagine decent percentage would get it there though

(careful with extracts other than tobacco, coffee, cacao)

I find that the chocolate or coffee flavours just make me crave a vape, which always goes with drinks
I use a Mocha concentrate in some of my mixes I'm experimenting with.

PapawBrett

Retired
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 16, 2012
Monroe NC
UPS tracking claims that my pipesandcigars.com should be here tomorrow.
There are four flavored aromatic tobaccos in this order, and I am thinking about trying heated extraction. An excellent description of this process was given by @Str8vision some time ago in this area.
Tobacco extraction using heated Ethanol

Reactions: Bronze

Bronze

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 19, 2012
UPS tracking claims that my pipesandcigars.com should be here tomorrow.
There are four flavored aromatic tobaccos in this order, and I am thinking about trying heated extraction. An excellent description of this process was given by @Str8vision some time ago in this area.
Tobacco extraction using heated Ethanol
I thought if I were to to another extraction it would include doing a heated extraction with ethanol using at least one of the same extractions I did using a cold extraction. I'm curious as to what differences there might be between cold vs heated.

I also wonder about the filtering processes for aromatics vs non aromatics. Do the added flavors to aromatics filter differently than the tobacco? In all cases, in some cases, in any cases?

PapawBrett

Retired
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 16, 2012
Monroe NC
I thought if I were to to another extraction it would include doing a heated extraction with ethanol using at least one of the same extractions I did using a cold extraction. I'm curious as to what differences there might be between cold vs heated.

I also wonder about the filtering processes for aromatics vs non aromatics. Do the added flavors to aromatics filter differently than the tobacco? In all cases, in some cases, in any cases?

I am thinking of trying a 50/50 PGA/VG mix as described by @Boscovlle and @CAAB in this thread,
Thoughts on Beginning to Extract Tobacco Flavors
After evaporation, I think I will add more VG to replace the amount of PGA that evaporated off. This should give me VG based extracts that I could mix the same way I would use PG based extractions.
I am interested in trying aromatic extracts just to see how the top notes results are. Using freeze filtering may or may not effect the final product, other than to remove oils and residue from the tobacco ? Maybe ?
But nothing beats a try....

Reactions: SCOTT-3

CAAB

ECF Veteran
Feb 9, 2019
New York
I am thinking of trying a 50/50 PGA/VG mix as described by @Boscovlle and @CAAB in this thread,

I am in the process of an experiment comparing PG vs VG/PGA extracts. It might be some time before I post results, although I am thinking of just getting my first impressions up soon.

Initially, when I compared a VG/PGA vs a PG extract, right off I could say that the VG/PGA extracts were of a deeper note, but more of a narrower flavor profile. The PG extracts were more balanced, nuanced. Also, the VG/PGA extracts burned out the coils pretty quickly. But I am thinking I wasn't comparing apples to apples, because I did not add PG to the VG/PGA eliquids. It was just straight up max VG eliquid. Whereas the PG extract eliquids had some amount of PG due to the PG extract itself.

In other words, it was more likely that I was comparing a max VG eliquid to a VG/PG blend. And I suspect that the max VG was not as good a carrier of flavor.

Anyway, I've been toying around with the right VG/PG ratio for my eliquid. And then I am going to compare the VG/PGA extracts and the PG extracts making sure they have the same VG/PG ratio in the eliquid. That way it's a better apples to apples comparison.

I will say this much for certain. Something is being carried in the VG/PGA extracts and it's enjoyable. I suspect it's going to be a deeper, less balanced flavor as opposed to PG. If someone, say, had a PG allergy, I don't think it's a waste of time to try VG/PGA extraction method. I think PGA on it's own does not do a great job at extracting flavor for most tobaccos. That said, VG/PGA is more difficult to filter for sure.

A few more months here and I will have a dozen different cigar leaf extracts to experiment with. That's what I'm really curious about. My initial impressions from what I extracted is that the comparison of VG/PGA extracts and PG extracts of cigar leaves have the greatest contrast in flavor. I suspect that combining the two extracts will produce a more complete cigar leaf extract, but this is all conjecture just now.

Bronze

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 19, 2012
After evaporation, I think I will add more VG to replace the amount of PGA that evaporated off. This should give me VG based extracts that I could mix the same way I would use PG based extractions.
I am interested in trying aromatic extracts just to see how the top notes results are. Using freeze filtering may or may not effect the final product, other than to remove oils and residue from the tobacco ? Maybe ?
But nothing beats a try....
I'm curious how these extraction methods affect the aromatics and do they act the same on all aromatics.

• Agree
Reactions: PapawBrett

PapawBrett

Retired
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 16, 2012
Monroe NC
I think I try you're suggested honey, I'm at 12 percent extract, I know it's low do prefer 20 percent but the trade off is I get 2 days vaping before rewicking.

I usually mix mine anywhere from 8% (LA Red) to 15% (Anniversary Kake) depending on the flavor I want.
They gunk up my wicks, but the flavor is worth the effort.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread