The Milder Side of NET's

Status
Not open for further replies.

vaper1960

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Apr 24, 2019
California, US
Hello. This is so ironic... when I smoked several months ago, couldn't afford the $10 a pack for smokes every day so also would buy pipe tobacco, dry it a bit, lightly grind it in a coffee grinder and roll my own smokes. I still get catalogs from Pipes and Cigars and throw them out. Not any more! I am totally into doing this (I also homebrew beer and make herbal extracts)

PapawBrett

Retired
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 16, 2012
Monroe NC
Hello. This is so ironic... when I smoked several months ago, couldn't afford the $10 a pack for smokes every day so also would buy pipe tobacco, dry it a bit, lightly grind it in a coffee grinder and roll my own smokes. I still get catalogs from Pipes and Cigars and throw them out. Not any more! I am totally into doing this (I also homebrew beer and make herbal extracts)

Patience is key. Filtration is a must. But it is possible to make your own tobacco extracts.

Bronze

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 19, 2012
Hearth & Home Signature Anniversary Kake - Pipes and Cigars

Extracted (cold maceration) winter of 2016
Mixed at 10% (30/70 PG/VG @10ml Nic) February 2018

I am thinking I should have tried this one earlier....
Anniversary Kake is a VaPer (Virginia - Perique) blend that comes across very mild and smooth. Home & Hearth claims they ordered red Virginia, but received a mix of various Virginias from yellow to brown. Then they added Arcadian Perique, heated and pressed it into a "Kake".
My impressions - the Virginia is neither sweet or grassy, but rather a smooth blend of light tobaccos. The Perique is blended into the flavor, slightly less than say Louisiana Red. Neither flavor takes center stage, but compliments one another. Neither sweet or tart, just a light and smooth clean tobacco flavor
I wish I had ordered more ...
Pop, of all those you reviewed this one is most appealing to me. Of course, one can never be certain how they will accept the flavor until they try it. But I do know I prefer mild and uncontroversial if you know what I mean. Are you still making this extract?

PapawBrett

Retired
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 16, 2012
Monroe NC
Pop, of all those you reviewed this one is most appealing to me. Of course, one can never be certain how they will accept the flavor until they try it. But I do know I prefer mild and uncontroversial if you know what I mean. Are you still making this extract?

Not this year. But I do plan on ordering some this winter.
I like my tobaccos to be cool when being transported.

PapawBrett

Retired
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 16, 2012
Monroe NC
Hearth & Home Signature Virginia Spice - Pipes and Cigars

Extracted (cold maceration) Winter of 2019
Mixed @ 10% (30/70 w/10% nicotine) June 2019

This is a little different. a VaPer (Virginia- Perique) blend with a Maduro cigar leaf added for a little extra flavor. The Virginia base makes this smooth, and the Perique and Maduro are blended in. The three flavors are mixed together well to produce a smooth, rich vape. The flavor is not reminiscent of H&H Lousiana Red, it is more like H&H's Anniversary Kake with a little extra provided by the cigar leaf. NO 'top note' of flavoring is needed, this selection provides a rich, well balanced taste all by itself. I would call this one "a keeper".

PapawBrett

Retired
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 16, 2012
Monroe NC
Sutliff Creamy Butterscotch - Pipes and Cigars

Extracted (cold maceration) Winter of 2019
Mixed at 10% (30/70 PG/VG @10mg Nic) 6/10/19

As sweet as butterscotch hard candy and as smooth as silk. The Vanilla and Carmel are front and center stage, so much so that you may not recognize this as a NET flavor until the exhale gives the slight tang of a tobacco blend. The Burley adds an ever so slight nutty back ground, and the Black Cavendish adds to the exhale, but the sweetness is unmistakeable. If you avoid sweet flavors, this would be too sweet for you.
Yet the flavor is not as sickeningly sweet as Molto Dulce. There is enough of the Virginia/ Burley/ Black Cavendish blend to smooth out the top notes, and being an aromatic blend means the top notes will probably fade in time. But as something extracted earlier this year it remains sweet and very smooth. Should the threat of Gub'ment Intervention ever truly make DIY flavors obsolete, this blend would serve as a replacement for those who enjoy an occasional vape to satisfy the sweet tooth. Unmistakably a dessert flavor, for sure.

Last edited:
Reactions: Bronze

PapawBrett

Retired
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 16, 2012
Monroe NC
Sutliff Golden Cavendish - Pipes and Cigars

Extracted (cold maceration) - Winter of 2019
Mixed @10% (30/70 PG/VG w/10mg nicotine) - June of 2019

Ultra light and ultra smooth. It is a NET flavor... barely. This aromatic blend supposedly includes a faint vanilla top note. It does leave a touch of sweetness on the inside of the lip, but that's about all. The blend of red and bright Virginias is light and sweet, and not at all grassy or earthy. The white burley adds a very subtle nutty touch on the exhale. There is just enough flavor, and I mean just enough, to prevent this from being bland and tasteless.
This selection is probably better left to the RYO and pipe smokers. I find that it really doesn't deliver much at all as a vapor extract. Maybe next time I might up the percentage to 15% just to see if it helps with the flavor.

Bronze

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 19, 2012
Sutliff Golden Cavendish - Pop's Extract

Mixed @10% (70/30 PG/VG at 15mg)

I first tried this NET with 2 weeks steeping. Indeed, mild would be an understatement (see Pop's review above). I wanted to give it a little more time so here it is 7-1/2 weeks out. It has a little more punch to it but it remains a mild yet pleasant vape. I enjoy it. Unlike Pop, I'm not getting the vanilla note. I'm not really getting much of any note other than a very mild tobacco flavor. I've thought of most cavendish as a somewhat medium pipe tobacco. Golden Cavendish reminds me more of a mild cigar flavor. Given this mildness, it is highly inoffensive and is not dry at all. The description says it is a blend of Virginia and Burley. Truthfully, the Burley stands out more than the Virginia.

As an uncontroversial NET, I am currently experimenting with Golden Cavendish by adding some caramel and apple flavorings. Way too early to opine on that front. I'm still trying to find the right apple.

Bronze

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 19, 2012
Well, let us know how it turns out....
I tried it with the Golden Cavendish and it wasn't too bad. I just mixed some yesterday using a Stixx Mixx extract (Nicaraguan Viso) and a different apple (Fuji Apple). So I'll check that out in a couple weeks. I'm going to fire up the Turk 84 again in the next day or two. I want to see what a couple months does to it.

PapawBrett

Retired
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 16, 2012
Monroe NC
This cold snap we had this weekend in the Carolinas (got down to 29*F Friday night/ Saturday morning) has me itching to make my next order from pipesandcigars.com. So far I have Home & Hearth's Midtown Chestnut and Anniversary Kake, Cornell & Deihl's Autumn Evening, Oriental Silk 414 and Three Friars (new to me), Decatur Black Cherry, Peter Stokkebye's 84 Turkish, Scotty's Bulk Blends Honey & Chocolate and Bass Pond (new to me). I am also thinking of trying Ramback's Gold, Ramback's Balkan, and Seattle Pipe Club's Deception Pass, all of which I haven't extracted before. All are in my "Wish List" at pipesandcigars.
But I will wait for the winter months to come in, and ship here during cold weather.

Reactions: Bronze

Bronze

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 19, 2012
The Supreme - Stixx Mixx
Mixed @ 10% (70/30 PG/VG, 15mg)

Stixx Mixx offers NET extracts for the DIYer. I purchased four flavors and mixed all four about 5 weeks ago. The Supreme is the third flavor I have tested. It's actually a blend of three flavors. I cannot tell you what exactly all the varieties are but here is the website's description... A nice combination of three different shags….Nicaraguan Ligero Filler,Connecticut Broadleaf Binder,and Havana Wrapper. For a bold and smooth taste! I wont go so far as to call it a bold taste but it is smooth. I would qualify it more as a mild to medium bodied NET. Most definitely more punch than Sutliff's Golden Cavendish that Pop and I reviewed above but then 99% of NETs can claim that. :) Not getting a dominance of any particular flavor but if anyone has had your average Havana type NET this would fall in that category. Cigar more than pipe to be sure. It's not especially dry and given it has a bit more complexity than the other Stixx Mixx I sampled it qualifies as a stand alone mix. Plenty of tobacco flavor to keep you interested all day but not enough to burn you out quickly. I can recommend The Supreme.

The previous two Stixx Mixx blends I've tried are Havana Primed and Nicaraguan Viso. I found these better candidates for mixing with other non-tobacco flavors due to their slightly milder profile. And in fact, I am experimenting just that. Perhaps I will review them at a later date. I have one more Stixx Mixx flavor to sample. Honduran Ligero.

Stixx Mixx

Reactions: PapawBrett
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread