The ploom

Status
Not open for further replies.

mikea

ECF Veteran
Jun 19, 2009
Seattle
They've been awfully quiet.
I pinged 'em again on their FB page. Keep the pressure up, I say. (Yeah, like that's really going to push the ship date forward. :)

As a born-again pessimist, I keep getting the feeling that the cost of the 'pods' will be kinda daunting for people who do a lot of vaping — but Hey, Ploom, feel free to pleasantly surprise me otherwise . . .

leaford

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
May 1, 2008
Shenzhen, Guangdong, China
ploom was designed to heat, not burn tobacco - it is more like a hookah than an e cig because it uses real tobacco - not nicotine
True, but it's still interesting, and with the proper medium to contain the liquid, it might be possible to use it with e-liquids.

I am on the list ;0
Lucky .......! I didn't keep up with this thread enough and missed out. :(

The Ploom is an interesting product, that's for sure, but it seems to be even more expensive than analogs. $35 for the unit is fine, but $6 for 12 pods when each one only lasts for 5-10 minutes makes it a very costly. If those pods are user-refillable, however, that changes everything!
I've found that there's just about always a way to refill it no matter what the manufacturer intends. ;)

Does the Model One vape at a high enough temperature to get the benefits of vaporizing tea(caffeine) or is that just a flavoring?
Good question. Tea and caffine in general vaprizes at a higher temperature than tobacco, 100F higher or more. Before discovering e-cigs I experimented with vaporizing tobacco, and liked blending in other herbs; like a tobacco/tea mix for a morning wakeup, and a tobacco/chamomile mix to send me to sleep. It was always tricky to get the right temp to vaporize both without burning either.

I'm having a hard time believing that many people in oh-so-cool San Francisco still actually smoke. Cigarettes. I mean really. I picture people deciding to do this because it's so cool, not because they want to quit smoking. Or maybe they will be mainly using it to vape chamomille tea or some such crispy foolishness. Who are these people, anyway?
I almost love you for your "crispy" comment, but no, not all of us in S.F. are hippy-dippy, crispy, new-agey, woo-believers. :rolleyes:

Good point made earlier in the thread -- someone wondering how many people actually still smoke in ever-so-hip-and-healthy San Francisco. I'd have thought that by now, any remaining smoker in S.F. would have been sent packing to a re-education camp in some undisclosed location. (Egad, imagine how much worse it must be in Berkeley or Santa Cruz. They probably just execute 'em on the streets. "Unhealthy creep! Poisoning The People! Hurting The Children with second-hand vapor! Waste him!" :)
You know, there are regular people in SF, too! There are even... Republicans! :shock:

After reading thru this thread to me this Ploom thing sounds like a special
purpose (smaller and cheaper) Iolite-

Iolite while initially more expensive (just paid $200 on amazon w/free shipping)
It was $300 when I tried it, and while it might have worked for tobacco, it didn't for the real, but unadvertised, purpose. ;) I haven't yet gotten around to experimenting with it for e-liquids, but I'm sure it would work with the right carrying medium.

Hrm....this is pretty neat and may help our cause.

The FDA certainly would not ban those devices as they are merely handheld versions of products that have existed for many years AND proven to be a safer way to use tobacco.

That device is right between where we are at and analogs. Its not so difficult to make a distinction between analogs and vaping as we know it. But, if you introduce that device the line becomes very blurry. How could the FDA approve that device (if they were to embrace it as a viable tobacco product) and not ours when the main difference is that device uses tobacco and ours uses basically an extract in a safe base solution. Our devices are even safe for those around us, as all indications tell us. I think it would put the FDA in a bit of a predicament. I dunno...prolly shouldn't be posting at 2 am but it seems like there could be some benefit to this product going on the market.
I like your thinking, and while that's a good argument, I doubt it would fly legally. Logically valid, but not likely legally valid, if you see what I mean.

Actually, they are not using e-liquid or something like that, by the info in their websites, looks like it is in fact tobacco mixed with PG and VG, they are not extracting nicotine from tobacco, also the device can use any kind of herbs, so no drug/device combo and the intended purpose could be just vaporize any kind of plant material, while the FDA said the e-cigs are only for one main purpose: Use liquid nicotine in them, so that makes e-cigs according to the FDA a drug/device combo.
Yeah, that sounds about right. At least that sounds like what the FDA would probably argue if it came down to it.

Look at the possibilities of this device, maybe it is BT, maybe not, but at the end, you can get a small, reliable personal vaporizer that maybe with some modifications you can use with e-liquids and in an emergency you can use it with tobacco for $35, no batteries and no atomizers.
Yep, like I said, the trick is finding a medium for the liquid. Something absorbative anough to hold it without dripping or dribbling liquid into the works, that wouldn't melt or burn.

I know a lot of people want to stay away from tobacco, but tobacco is not the problem, the problem is the smoke, vaporizing tobacco is a very good way to reduce harm.
No, not entirely true. Smoke or not, tobacco itself contains carcinogens and other harmful chemicals. Plus, all but the very best vaporizers at least char some of the material, so there's almost always at least a tiny amount of smoke. Still, vaporized tobacco IS much, much better than smoked tobacco. But our vaporized liquids are much, much better still.

Tired of waiting for this thing to drop. I want one!

Me too! :D :rolleyes: :D

ShinKun

ECF Veteran
Sep 18, 2009
Seattle
I received a "Verify Your Subscription" email this morning. I was hoping it was going to lead me to an order page but it didn't.

It's nice to see a veteran like leaford weigh in! (leaford, if you are charring with a vaporizer then you have the temperature up to high. Like e-cigs it takes some time to dial it in... temperature, draw, amount of plant material.)

I can't see the Ploom replacing 510s and the like for heavy vapers because of the 1-2 hour limit on the built in butane tank. They would have to carry around a can of butane when they were out and about. That just seems too cumbersome.

I'm looking forward to it because I have quit vaping and smoking but know from previous experience that there will be a time in the future when I will want an analog. It may be next month or 2 years from now but it will most likely happen. With my Protege or other e-cigs I would have to wait for the battery to charge, then get the thing all primed and ready before I could use it. By then I might have bummed a smoke from my neighbor. If I had the Ploom, I could just make sure there was some butane in it and pop in a fresh pod and be ready... I hope.

steven.rn

ECF Veteran
May 1, 2009
Ohio
$5.95 for a pack of 12 pods that last "5 to 10 minutes each, depending" etc.....

Yah. Just what I needed. Something that costs more than smoking analogs. Each pod is probably 1 cig worth of vapor, so to speak- at that price, you'd have to be rich- or just nuts.

Use anything but a factory pod: warrantee goes *poof*.

What a waste of effort. They should have spent that effort and money on a better mousetrap.

Last edited:

PlanetScribbles

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 3, 2009
Londinium, Brittania
$5.95 for a pack of 12 pods that last "5 to 10 minutes each, depending" etc.....

Yah. Just what I needed. Something that costs more than smoking analogs. Each pod is probably 1 cig worth of vapor, so to speak- at that price, you'd have to be rich- or just nuts.

Or a gadget geek that realises the error of his ways when he notices that it will cost a small fortune to buy the consumables :rolleyes:
Most Plooms will end up in a draw gathering dust is my guess.

TaketheRedPill

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 27, 2009
Southern California
They didn't send me one, and I'm sitting here ready to order but can't since I didn't receive the "invitation"
I signed up for "the list" in August.

I got a 'you're on the list', 'verify sub by clicking here' email back on Oct 10 and a 'we're live' email today - but I don't see anywhere to sign in or order on the ploom site.

So...are they substuting a heating element against the (foil?) pod for an atomizer? is the principle breathing/inhaling a simmering pod? will it continue to produce vapor/inhaling or not, until you turn it off ?

this thing reminds me of those butane hand-warmers - I'll drop 40bucks to play with it, but have a feeling it will end up on the swap board almost as fast.

TTRP

ShinKun

ECF Veteran
Sep 18, 2009
Seattle
Your username is your email address. I didn't have a password so I chose the "Forgot Password" link and the system sent me one. I logged in and then was able to put items in my cart and go through the check out process.

Although I did receive an invoice, my card has not been charged yet so I am assuming you are not supposed to be able to get into that part of the site yet....

You would think they would have a larger presence here on ECF, I know I would...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread