Status
Not open for further replies.

Jack Murray

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Sep 8, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
www.stimps.com
LOL, that's cool. But I mentioned that it was not best for "most" and all the mod fan boys attacked me. It is a GREAT performance experience. However, coming directly off analogs MOST people need to mimic the act of smoking. This is why when I give any advice on the "best' model - I ask questions. Some people dramatically underestimate the mental aspect of smoking on here. Many immediately say EGO. I do not, certainly not any longer. It depends...

EDIT: For example, my EGO is dramatically better in perforance than my Safe Cig. However, I use my Safe Cig very day in addition to my EGO. WHY?? It is closer to the act of smoking in size. It is mental!

Strange, the eGo is much more like my personal style of analog smoking. I pull hard but mostly hold it in my mouth, and don't breathe very deeply. With my eGo, I do the same thing, and I goof around with the vapor a lot. When I shared cigarettes with friends long ago, I hated it because they were always really deep breathers and they'd get my cig-ends all wet and hot. So yeah, it's too hard to say that even all analog smokers do it the same way, or need the same things out of the experience, let alone vapers. I wish I'd have looked at box mods harder when I first started and I would have saved some money.

DocWyatt

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Oct 6, 2010
OK
Strange, the eGo is much more like my personal style of analog smoking. I pull hard but mostly hold it in my mouth, and don't breathe very deeply. With my eGo, I do the same thing, and I goof around with the vapor a lot. When I shared cigarettes with friends long ago, I hated it because they were always really deep breathers and they'd get my cig-ends all wet and hot. So yeah, it's too hard to say that even all analog smokers do it the same way, or need the same things out of the experience, let alone vapers. I wish I'd have looked at box mods harder when I first started and I would have saved some money.

Well, the important thing to start is that it worked. Once you got into vaping then you decided the mod was best for you. However, if you started with a mod, you may have never used it. You just don't know.

Jack Murray

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Sep 8, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
www.stimps.com
The point is not "working". Smoking, in my view anyhow, is far over 50% the "act" of smoking. Mods accomplish one aspect exceedingly well - vaping. They do not mimic the act of smoking in my view.

They do for me completely, and since I know I'm not the only person in the vaping world who feels this way, your view, while perfectly valid, is not 100% correct. I dunno, I a shopper, I like to know all my options when I start doing something new, and I wish I had known about box mods sooner.

I think it's perfectly logical to preface a newbie article about box mods with "these are kind of expensive and some people don't liken them to analog smoking" if one wanted, because yeah, better to tell people about all the possibilities. Getting too sticky about what newbs can and can't see, though, that's moving into a sort of governmental control situation and I don't think it's necessary. =) Just my .02

Jack Murray

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Sep 8, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
www.stimps.com
The saying from AA or whatever 12 step program "It works if you work it". My 18 years of smoking done in a day. Lost a bad habit and picked up a hobby.

I feel the same way. =) And I like the hobby.

I'm not a fanboy, btw, I'm a relatively new vaper who actually saw a box mod first, but didn't know where to get one until after I had purchased an eGo. I don't regret having done so, but I could have saved a little money in the long run. =)

stouchon

ECF Veteran
Sep 8, 2010
Kyle, TX
They do for me completely, and since I know I'm not the only person in the vaping world who feels this way, your view, while perfectly valid, is not 100% correct. I dunno, I a shopper, I like to know all my options when I start doing something new, and I wish I had known about box mods sooner.

I think it's perfectly logical to preface a newbie article about box mods with "these are kind of expensive and some people don't liken them to analog smoking" if one wanted, because yeah, better to tell people about all the possibilities. Getting too sticky about what newbs can and can't see, though, that's moving into a sort of governmental control situation and I don't think it's necessary. =) Just my .02

Who can argue with that????

stouchon

ECF Veteran
Sep 8, 2010
Kyle, TX
I feel the same way. =) And I like the hobby.

I'm not a fanboy, btw, I'm a relatively new vaper who actually saw a box mod first, but didn't know where to get one until after I had purchased an eGo. I don't regret having done so, but I could have saved a little money in the long run. =)

I can only wish that had seen a mod before I spent too much on a POS. After the POS I got a 901, which I really like. But my VV mod and some ceramic V4 CE2 carto's is THE WAY TO GO. I am just amazed at how easy vaping has become.

DocWyatt

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Oct 6, 2010
OK

I am going to bed. But here is my view. i recommend almost all newbs get an EGO - unless they are less than 1 pack a day smokers - because they can spend $75 or $80 including supplies - to get a proper vaping experience. This way they will KNOW if it might work for them. Later, they can decide if they prefer a mini, a pen style, a mod, or whatever.

The problem becomes if they either choose something that doesn't provide adequate performance (mini) or something that doesn't provide the smoking experience (mod). Then they may not use it and all of this will be moot. The FIRST experience for many users is critical. Many will elect - right then and there- to either vape or to analog.

This is not about restricting information on any level, which I am exceptionally opposed to as well. It is about getting them a decent product that they will USE. It may not be the right one for them - but at least they will know DAY ONE they like vaping - because they USE it and it WORKS.

Last edited:

Drumonron

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 25, 2009
I am going to bed. But here is my view. i recommend almost all newbs get an EGO - unless they are less than 1 pack a day smokers - because they can spend $75 or $80 including supplies - to get a proper vaping experience. This way they will KNOW if it might work for them. Later, they can decide if they prefer a mini, a pen style, a mod, or whatever.

The problem becomes if they either choose something that doesn't provide adequate performance (mini) or something that doesn't provide the smoking experience (mod). Then they may not use it and all of this will be moot. The FIRST experience for many users is critical. Many will elect - right then and there- to either vape or to analog.

This is not about restricting information on any level, which I am exceptionally opposed to as well. It is about getting them a decent product that they will USE. It may not be the right one for them - but at least they will know DAY ONE they like vaping - because they USE it and it WORKS.

Yup...we definitely got YOUR view, dude....a few times....g'night!

I completely agree with the following quote of yours,
"It is about getting them a decent product that they will USE."

vape on

One should never take one's opinion too seriously.

An ecig in any form sure beats the heck out of Cigs(Analogs)....just wanted to expose
those that are interested to an approach that some have found extremely satisfactory.

Thanks buss for your contributions.

Wish you all a good day.

:headbang:

Last edited:

Shel

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 23, 2009
Los Angeles
It is NOT a device to replace the "act" of smoking for ONE very simple reason - it is NOTHING similar to it! Geez. This logic is not difficult to follow...

Duh. It is NOT what most people want and WHY they did not select a wooden box to sell - regardless of how well it works. It does not matter on ANY level.

I mean how simple do i need to make this.

Buss
Guess I'm one of the lame ones...

Isn't nicotine gum supposed to "replace the act of smoking".... aren't nicotine patches sold to "replace the act of smoking"?

Hey, perhaps you're right, that if you define "newbie" as someone who hasn't EVER tried vaping, and there is nobody around to explain things to him/her, if they walked into a 7/11 and saw one eCig that looked like a 510, and another that looked like a wood box, with an atty and drip tip sticking out of it, they'd probably go for the 510.

After about two, three days, if you showed up with a bottom feed box mod, and they were AT ALL interested in vaping as a replacement for smoking, I think it would be an easy sell to show them the advantages of the bottom feed juice mods.

I, for one, commend Drumonron for giving newbies this info! Hey, if they use it, great! If they don't use it, well, it isn't necessarily for eveyone.

(I personally started out ordering a ton of tobacco flavored juice. Now... I HATE tobacco flavored juice! I never really LIKED the taste of tobacco, necessarily, I was/am an addict. If, as a newbie, someone would have suggested I try more pleasant flavored juice, such as vanilla, or snickerdoodle... would I have done it? Saved my $$$ by buying better flavors? Perhaps, perhaps not... but in hindsight, I wouldn't have minded if there was someone around who could have made the suggestion!)

Anyways, don't mean to continue an arguement or debate, but I think this does belong in the newcommer section.

Last edited:

Drumonron

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 25, 2009
???? I thought they had to be pumped.

Good Question.

Yeah...guess it's just an easy way of saying one does not have to open an e-juice bottle and manually introduce the juice to the attomizer such as one would do when dripping, replacing filler, replacing a cartridge or the like.

Torrentula81

ECF Veteran
Oct 5, 2010
nowheres
I would love a box mod as a newbie but a few things hold me back. The aji looks awesome but the cost is up there. Would have bought one by now if they actually had them in stock. All the other boxes I wouldnt be caught dead smoking in the public. They remind me how 8 tracks must have looked at first launch sitting next to a fm radio. Outdated and ugly. So yeah the one mod I want cant get and if I could it be 175 with batteries and charger. Man do I want it though. Its a piece of art.

Pete54

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 30, 2009
Clearwater, Florida
What's more important when trying to mimic the act of smoking.
A) Looking like a cigarette but requiring constant fiddling and getting little vapor or throat hit, or
B) Not looking like a cigarette but requiring little or no maintenance but providing consistent vapor and throat hit.
I agree that the "act" of smoking is what my main addiction was. However, using a standard 510, or Ego for that matter, didn't do it for me because the only way to get consistent vapor was to drip. Another point is that I've spent well over a thousand dollars on various mods until finally finding one that actually gets the job done. Giving this info to new vapers will save them money and frustration in the long run.
Just my two cents. Bye now ....

ACM

ECF Veteran
Nov 11, 2009
What's more important when trying to mimic the act of smoking.
A) Looking like a cigarette but requiring constant fiddling and getting little vapor or throat hit, or
B) Not looking like a cigarette but requiring little or no maintenance but providing consistent vapor and throat hit.
I agree that the "act" of smoking is what my main addiction was. However, using a standard 510, or Ego for that matter, didn't do it for me because the only way to get consistent vapor was to drip. Another point is that I've spent well over a thousand dollars on various mods until finally finding one that actually gets the job done. Giving this info to new vapers will save them money and frustration in the long run.
Just my two cents. Bye now ....

For what it's worth, I wasn't attacking The Buss when I voiced my dissenting opinion a few pages back. I don't believe it's at all beneficial to attack someone for his or her opinions, and I respect his. But my personal position mirrors Pete54's. Smoking is an easy, reliable, portable activity. And its primary purpose is to deliver nicotine to alleviate a craving. The shape, size, and feel of an e-cig is of little concern to me as long as it's easy, reliable, portable, and delivers nicotine. For me, a juice mod is exactly what I need to best simulate the experience of smoking.

Maybe if someone was used to rolling his/her own cigarettes, then the constant dripping and cart refilling of non-juice fed models would be more akin to THEIR smoking experience. But for me, when I smoked I just pulled one out of the pack, lit it, and that was it. With a juice box, you just pull it out of your pocket, push a button, and vape. Cigarettes give you a throat hit and smoke; juice boxes give you a throat hit and vapor. They are, in effect, essentially the same basic experience.

As a newbie, I believed I needed an e-cig that LOOKED like an analog to get the proper psychological fix. Now, with a year under my belt, I know otherwise. My fix isn't in the handling of the device, it's in the sensation and consistency of its performance. Had juice boxes existed a year ago, and I tried one before anything else, I would have stuck with it and been totally satisfied.

The one thing that's important to keep in mind when presenting opinions is that they are always subjective. To make qualifying statements about what "most" people want or don't want, or would prefer or not prefer is not helpful. It's best to just point out your own experiences and your own opinions to give people something to consider as they decide for themselves what will or won't work for them.

MY opinion is that juice boxes could be considered a niche product only in that they are fairly new as compared to existing e-cig models, and thus not widely being used RIGHT NOW. I believe, in time, their popularity will far surpass other models as more and more people realize that they are simply the most convenient way to vape and replace smoking. The only thing that could hamper that kind of growth would be the fact that most are currently handmade in VERY small quantities. It's hard to dominate a $100 million dollar industry when you can only produce 10-15 boxes every two weeks.

Last edited:

gibo993

Feb 19, 2010
London
I wish I had read a thread like this 10 months ago when I gave up smoking, it would of saved me a fortune in rubbish e-Cigs and nights where I nearly went back to smoking. I would have happily gone for something like a Reo Mini if it was out then, I know about 4 people who have gone back to smoking because of the bad experience with analog lookalikes, dead batts and running out of those prefilled carts half way through a night.

Reading this I really get the feeling that Buss really wants to smoke again, you seem to be really hard done by.

I have tried smoking since getting a good device and I prefer to vape it has no guilt attached , it tastes better, I don't have to go outside to do it. and its a great conversation piece.

Smoking stinks and it kills you and I know I'm not doing myself or my two and 5 year old any favours by doing it( they want to see there Dad as they grow up). I really enjoy a good vape with a beer and for that I'm happy, I always enjoyed the act of smoking but I knew over the years it was hurting me, I had cut right down to social occasions and one or two in the evening and thats how I vape now.
I think the Mods are not as popular as they would be as they are only made in small numbers and are hard to get hold of, if you could buy them on any street corner like analogs, there would be 1000's of lives saved every year.

Big thanks to all the great Mod makers, I'm sure in a year some of the chinese manufacturers will be making similar devices, but its the mod makers that are pushing the envelope and finding what works and what doesn't. I do hope the mod makers could get rich from these devices, but the chinese have the power to swing into mass production over night. and I think thats what we will see.

for now support the mods its great to see these inventions and they have improved my life and my health.

Regards
Gibo993

BadThad

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 13, 2010
Cincinnati
As a noob I can speak to how good a juice box mod works for quitting analogs. The regular 510's were not working well for me. I have found the Phidias the closest thing there is to smoking regardles of how it looks. Once I got my Phidias I was easily able to quit smoking. It ended all of the hassles of refilling and worrying about how much battery I had left. I can fill it, put in a fresh battery and vape for nearly 2 days without a worry or even thinking about smoking.

Contrary to Buss, all noobs should be aware of these mods from the start. They work BETTER than any ecig, they are dependable and they produce superior vapor in all respects. This is a fantastic post that I wish I had seen from day 1 of vaping.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread