MXBNW

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 15, 2010
NW Washingtion
www.e-cigarette-forum.com
Well said banjo thank you.. :)

Most of you guys know where I stand on this issue, but I just wanted to thank everyone for their views and how well the discussion was conducted - now, if you don't already have one, get out there and support our mod builders by buying one of their products.

mokeyjoe

ECF Veteran
May 23, 2009
Preston, UK
I like dripping. I don't think I'd want something that did everything for me. It'd be like a self lighting cigarette. Dripping replaces lighting up (and rolling up) for me. I always feel like I'm missing something using a carto.

The main reason I wouldn't buy a juice mod is because they're ugly. Shallow, but true.

DSCF3241.JPG

It's like the Macbook Pro of PVs. Mmmm....

bluenj

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 30, 2010
bergenfield
I also have one like yours. Ego all silver including tip. for me it looks cheap and Its not like a mac. its like an old calculator..

I like dripping. I don't think I'd want something that did everything for me. It'd be like a self lighting cigarette. Dripping replaces lighting up (and rolling up) for me. I always feel like I'm missing something using a carto.

The main reason I wouldn't buy a juice mod is because they're ugly. Shallow, but true.

DSCF3241.JPG

It's like the Macbook Pro of PVs. Mmmm....

mokeyjoe

ECF Veteran
May 23, 2009
Preston, UK
I prefer the hello 016 quality and durability. I really dont like the bottons of the ego. But for the taste, I both like them.

It's the USB eGo I like in particular. Somehow the extra length and the end cap just finish it off beautifully. The integrated USB works great for me too. I've heard other people don't like the button though, but it feels nice and 'clicky' to me.

The only other PVs that have really caught my eye are the GG Slim and the Precise, but the short battery life would make them more of an occasional use ecig than my eGo, and they're pretty pricey (although replaceable batteries mean they'll last longer).

It's hard to make a box look sexy TBH, and perhaps I'm the only person who cares so much what their PV looks like :) I'd be all over one that looked like a Zippo though. Better still, one that slid into a Zippo case! But I think the dimensions of such a device makes that a little unrealistic.

Zurd

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 10, 2010
Montréal
You're quite right TheBuss in everything you speak, but the OP just wanted to share that there's other models in the PV world than the regular JOY510 or KR808D-1 or the eGo. Me, like mostly any new vapers, first started with a regular cigarette shape model and took 3 months to switch to a self-juice mod, have I known better with posts like this I could have switched to self-juice mod even before, I love these models, thanks for your post Drumonron !

Now if only people would stop buying backups of these rare models, I could get my hand on one, you got the message banjo? :)

Stutzy

ECF Veteran
Oct 10, 2010
Denver, CO
I guess all I will say is that after a couple of months, all I care about is does the device satisfy my cravings. I would never have bought a pen style ecig if I had realized how much the battery life limits my ability to do that. Yes I could carry around 4 bats but thats ridiculous to me. I think the vast majority of people reach the same conclusion. Which is why most gravitate away from these crappy little things (most not all). Every person is different but ultimately this is about satisfying a physical need. Just my .02 but I would have skipped the whole 510 bat thing if I knew then what i know now and saved some cash to boot.

Last edited:

Madison Ave

ECF Veteran
Oct 14, 2010
Massachusetts
I too, want to thank the OP....if I had known about theses boxes, ease of use....etc....I probably would have purchased one right away. I've just started vaping...less than a week ago with a 510 and just placed an order for the eGo as an upgrade....If I found this earlier, I definitely would have gone for the box mod. Oh, well, I think I am going to hunt around for one anyways! Thanks so much for the info and everyone's opinions. This thread has been truly informative for me.

Happy Vaping! :vapor:

Technonut

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 11, 2010
East Coast, USA
Just my :2c: as a newbie.. In a short time, I started out with a Direct E-Cig, which started me on the path to cutting-down analogs from a pack and a half a day to under 10 a day. It looks like an analog, but with the cartridges supplied, lacked the throat hit I missed.

I went on next to the only smoke shop in my area that carried e-cigs, and purchased a Cig2o kit. (KR808D-1) It had the throat hit I craved, has decent vapor, and battery life. It still lacked some of the "umph" and flavor I miss with analogs though...:?:

After countless hours of research, and U-Tube reviews, I took a chance with a like-new Fistpack mod at a good price on the for sale forum that has voltage adjustments, and long battery life / USB charging while being used. I am now as happy as a pig in :censored: ... :thumbs: I caught some VERY good deals from vendors on 24mg juices, and have not touched an analog since.. The Direct E-Cig has a great atomizer, and I use it now to test the different juices I purchased.

To me, it's all about the flavor, throat hit, and vapor amount that satisfied my craving for analogs.. Everyone is different in their cravings and what substitutes their missed satisfaction in analogs.. IMHO, this post is VERY relevant in the Newbie Forum.. It may just lead some folks on the path which works for them.. Being either massed-produced devices, and/or mods..

T^2

ECF Veteran
Apr 27, 2009
Maryland
My 2 cents...

As for reproducing the analog experience... I have not seen an e-cig device yet that can duplicate the feel of a cigarette held in the hand or lips/mouth. The weight and balance of these devices precludes it. They are way heavier than an analog and their weight is at the battery end. You can paint the battery white, put a light brown cart on one end, and add an amber LED to other but they have never mimicked the feel of a regular cigarette - at least for me. Try holding an ecig in your lips. You'll see what I mean. They do a better job of mimicking a heavy well built ink pen. As far as the eGo is concerned - I'm familiar with Marlboro Lights, Marlboro 100's, even bummed a Virginia Slim in desperation, but I have yet to come across a Marlboro Big and Fatty (or Big, Heavy, and Fatty). So I can't see how and eGo could ever come close to reproducing the feel of a cigarette in the hand.

What is important to me is that what I inhale and exhale is as similar to the smoking experience that i can get. I could care less what the device looks like. If it helps psychologically, then think of a box mod like the Ali'i as being more like a pipe. When people stare at me when I whip this thing out in public, I stare back at them with crazy eyes and say "What?... It's a crack pipe... Haven't you ever seen one before?" Of course I don't recommend this, but it does tickle my warped sense of humor.

I started over a year ago with a regular 510 atty and battery. It failed to get me off analogs. The mess and hassle made me loose interest. Fortunately, when I recently decided to get back into vaping, I knew what I was looking for in terms of usability and performance. I looked around and finally the Ali'i came out. It was exactly what I was looking for. I skipped all the experimenting with other in between devices that one might go through to get here. The result is that it saved me a lot of dough. Essentially the Ali'i has paid for itself in that regard.

So if a newbie is not looking into e-cigs for a new techno gadget hobby, but just wants something that's almost as easy as plucking a cigarette out of a pack, lighting it up, and smoking away, then I have to say that a bottom fed box mod comes very close. There's little fuss, muss, mess, or hassle. It works and works well. So if you want to avoid all the trial and error associated with going through various devices and want to just get something that will get the job done, then a bottom fed box mod is not a bad choice - in my view.

About the cost of something like an Ali'i. Yup, there is some cost associated in getting the box mod and all the other stuff to get set up. But what's it worth to you to get off analogs? I asked myself the same question and my conclusion was that the cost was worth it - in fact cheap - if it got me off cigarettes. So far so good.

About bottom fed box mods being a niche... That's probably partially the result of the lack of information. Secondly, it's going to be hard to corner the market with a custom hand crafted device - as others have noted.

So do I think this post - and bottom fed box mods - have value for newbies? Sure. The only thing that I might include, in terms of advice, is that they study up on the safe use and charging of L-Ion batteries.

Edit: Just thought I should note - I was enjoying my Ali'i while writing this reply. MMMM MMMM good.... :p

Last edited:

Jack Murray

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Sep 8, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
www.stimps.com
My 2 cents...

As for reproducing the analog experience... I have not seen an e-cig device yet that can duplicate the feel of a cigarette held in the hand or lips/mouth. The weight and balance of these devices precludes it. They are way heavier than an analog and their weight is at the battery end. You can paint the battery white, put a light brown cart on one end, and add an amber LED to other but they have never mimicked the feel of a regular cigarette - at least for me. Try holding an ecig in your lips. You'll see what I mean. They do a better job of mimicking a heavy well built ink pen. As far as the eGo is concerned - I'm familiar with Marlboro Lights, Marlboro 100's, even bummed a Virginia Slim in desperation, but I have yet to come across a Marlboro Big and Fatty (or Big, Heavy, and Fatty). So I can't see how and eGo could ever come close to reproducing the feel of a cigarette in the hand.
Haha about the crack pipe. =D I usually say it's my electro-soother. =)

I guess for me, it still does reproduce holding a cigarette because I don't actually hold it like a cigarette at all. I hold it kind of like a knife or screwdriver, so my pinky is balancing the end of the battery. That takes all the weight, which leaves my fingers on the cart and atty, which is long and slender like an analog. Or of course, with the PT, it's like a portable hookah. =) Anyway, it's hard to explain, but my brain noticed how heavy it was for about a day, and then translated it into something else. I think that happens for some people and not others.

Jack Murray

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Sep 8, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
www.stimps.com
To me, it's all about the flavor, throat hit, and vapor amount that satisfied my craving for analogs.. Everyone is different in their cravings and what substitutes their missed satisfaction in analogs.. IMHO, this post is VERY relevant in the Newbie Forum.. It may just lead some folks on the path which works for them.. Being either massed-produced devices, and/or mods..

Yeah, I think everyone has their needs and cravings and have very different ways of keeping them satisfied. =) For me, it's all about vapour volume and flavour - I usually cough if I get too much throat hit. "Whatever gets you through the night", as John Lennon said. =)

WarsawNan

ECF Veteran
Oct 8, 2010
Indiana-USA
www.maggiemadeit.com
Contrary to Buss, all noobs should be aware of these mods from the start. They work BETTER than any ecig, they are dependable and they produce superior vapor in all respects. This is a fantastic post that I wish I had seen from day 1 of vaping.

I agree 100%!!

As for us newbs wanting to replicate the act of smoking, for this newb that means sucking it in through my mouth and blowing it back out and it looks like smoke. A box mod will certainly let me do that. But perhaps I am a black goose. :?:

IMO, vaping in public with an e-cig (as opposed to a box mod) hurts more than helps the vaping community's fight to be accepted (or at least tolerated) by the nico-Nazis out there. I think it was a mistake to ever make them look like a cigarette in the first place and also a mistake to adopt any terminology that links them to the much-hated cigarette and smoking (i.e., e-cig, smoke juice).

If I'm tootin' on a box mod, which in no way resembles a cigarette, strangers are more likely to come up and ask me what the heck it is. That gives me the opportunity to say "It's a portable vaporizer. I was able to completely kick my nasty smoking habit by using this, since the patch didn't work for me, and my health has improved tremendously. I use a flavored liquid in it that produces the vapor, so the inhaling and exhaling satisfies the oral addiction I developed over 45 years of smoking."

And before anyone replies, let me repeat, this is simply my opinion.

Anxiously awaiting the arrival of my Ali'i!

ladyzr

ECF Veteran
Aug 17, 2010
Pennsylvania
Wow! I guess this has turned into a full blown hobby for me at this point. Although I was completely warned up front that it has the tendency of becoming one. Now for my experience I did read through the newb forum for a few weeks and everything pointed to an Ego or KR808. I ordered a Riva and KR-808 and I was extremely pleased with the Riva and kicked the smoking habit the day it arrived. (I returned the KR-808 but later reorderd thanks to a PIF). I have been extremely pleased with my Riva and have converted several friends and family members with it however if I would have seen something mentioning box mods I probably would have ordered that too. I was just thinking why don't they have something that automatically feeds the juice so I don't have to. And I see this post. Thank you!
I say all of this to say this newb would have appreciated full disclosure (mods included) and I understand that many people want to make the transistion as easy as possible but some of us do want ALL of the facts even if it means weeding through 1000's of posts. That weeding process for me anyway satisfies my OCD :p Now I have a reson to go into the modders forum and spend countless hours researching.

Dillinger

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 29, 2009
Mountain View, CA
So I received my Ali'i from R&R Manufacturing yesterday and could not be happier.:laugh:

Now that I've finally discovered the exact right combination of PV, atty and juice that suit my needs; I think I like vaping far more than I ever liked smoking. And I was a guy who loved his stogies! :lol:

The whole process of ordering from Ryan (the builder) was nothing but a pleasure. He took the time to answer any and all questions I had. Excellent customer service.

For anyone interested here is a sort of reviewish like post with pictures I made after receiving my Ali'i: The Ali'i Chief's Induction Ceremony

Happy vapes newcomers! :vapor:

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread