The Slantz is at it again

Status
Not open for further replies.

AgentAnia

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2013
Orbiting Sirius B
He's posted an article on his blog about "the effects of e-cigarette use on exhaled nitric acid." (Don't bother googling nitric acid yet. Read on.)

Both Dr. Farsalinos and Tom Pruen (ECITA blog) have already posted rebuttals.

Effects of e-cigarette use on exhaled nitric oxide
More of the same from Stanton Glantz – a specious arguement about vapour and smoke equivalence | ECITA Blog

Dr. F's article (first link) contains a link to Slantz's article so I won't sully this post by repeating it. Both rebuttals explain exactly what nitric acid is and why this is another case of Slantz spreading more :censored: ...

(There will be a quiz tomorrow on nitric acid and why it's good for you...)

AgentAnia

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2013
Orbiting Sirius B
glANTZ:

He must be desperate.

Oh I agree! I'm seeing similar desperation across the board. Several leading ANTZ in the UK came out in The Guardian a few days ago complaining how they were being "abused" and "stalked" by vaping trolls who represent a "bizarre cult" of ecig users (and of course we're all industry shills...)

I told my neighbor today she had a "bizarre cultist" living next door and she might want to bar her door tonight... :laugh:

DrMA

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 26, 2013
Seattle area
Not to be a nit-picker, but it is "Nitric Oxide", not "Nitric Acid".
It didn't take the good Dr. F. long to respond to this one, and Tom Pruen is also doing an excellent job of calling out Prof. Glantz lately!

Correct. And nitric oxide is actually good for you, therefore the spectacular sales figures for drugs such as ...... and ...... :p

Kent C

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 12, 2009
NW Ohio US
Oh I agree! I'm seeing similar desperation across the board. Several leading ANTZ in the UK came out in The Guardian a few days ago complaining how they were being "abused" and "stalked" by vaping trolls who represent a "bizarre cult" of ecig users (and of course we're all industry shills...)

I told my neighbor today she had a "bizarre cultist" living next door and she might want to bar her door tonight... :laugh:

They're the ones stalking us. I wouldn't even know who they were, were that not the case.

AgentAnia

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2013
Orbiting Sirius B
Not to be a nit-picker, but it is "Nitric Oxide", not "Nitric Acid".
It didn't take the good Dr. F. long to respond to this one, and Tom Pruen is also doing an excellent job of calling out Prof. Glantz lately!

I stand corrected; thanks. (Today's quiz will be on nitric OXIDE... If you put down that "nitric acid is NOT good for you, you will earn extra points.)

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal

Of course, FeNO levels have nothing to do with NO production and effects on the endothelium of the arteries and on cardiovascular disease incidence, and, as mentioned above, do not indicate lung dysfunction. Anyone, making such statements, such as Stanton Glantz, is probably confused and is ignoring some basic facts. ...

Well, at Least Slantz is Consistent is his Continual Ignoring of Basic Facts.

:facepalm:

JeansV

Apr 26, 2014
IL
Glantz is really fascinating. Many people of a certain age may have experienced a hard slap of live, where it appears that what you've worked for for the last 15, 20 or 30 years was all for nothing (a layoff followed by long unemployment, divorce, a major career setback...whatever).
Glantz seems to go through this where he feels that smoking is coming back (it's not -obviously-, but I think that's how he sees it.)
While many people suffer setbacks in silence or with comfort from family/friends, Glantz suffers his perceived setback in a public way. He's desperate and he's grasping.

It's just so pathetic.

Mediaguy

Reviewer / Blogger
ECF Veteran
Jan 17, 2012
MontrealQuebecCanada
I posted this on another forum but I just had to share it here, because it now soothes me with humour:

Originally I saw no humor in it as I was simply angry that this supposed "protector" from the evils of tobacco was turning on vapor... at the expense of the smokers he purports to protect... but the more he comes out with his agglomerations and re-interpretations and false comparisons of even valid e-cig studies, the more I chuckle.

Enjoy.

:D

RosaJ

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 30, 2012
The Woodlands, TX, USA
Speaking of cardiovascular health... Somebody needs to sponsor a comparative risk study of smoking vs. continued reading of demonizing propaganda and junk publications. I bet you my blood pressure gets statistically significantly higher in response to glANTZ...

LOL, oh yeah, that's why I only read some posts and when I want to reply from "emotion" I don't and sign off.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread