Status
Not open for further replies.

MaxPerilous

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2012
Edgewood, NM
Well no VMOD XL today :( I hope it comes in tomorrow getting antsie lol. I was hoping it'd come today so I had time to fiddle with it before my mini DiD clones got here. Don't want to have to choose which one to fiddle with first lol. My luck is they will come at the same time and I will spend my time indecisively looking back and forth trying to decide while vaping the Provari lol.

Andy Thatcher

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 22, 2012
Brit in Orlando
Totally Mad!

ydege8a3.jpg

News ? How ? Lol

Alright been vaping this atty for just under 12 hours straight.

I had become kinda...m'ehhh about bought atty's finding the vape fromthe Vivi Nova rebuildable for the $3 price point pretty damned good. Have been using that in preference to the 357's, Aero's, 306's and the last iteration of Vapage Hybrids I have.

Been doing some swapping and comparing and while 12 hours won't tell me diddly about longevity I can start to compare flavour even though this one is still probably at least a day away from being fully broken in.

It more than stand up to anything else I have in the atty department. Vaping a DIY Key Lime Pie juice that I slightly under sold the Graham Cracker flavouring on. Struggle to recognise it in anything else other than a genisis but it is there on the Shifu.

Vape production, prodigious. Again not 12 hours in so will get better but of atty's only the 357 is close and that is fully broken in and I am thinking running second.

Really impressed so far. So impressed think I may pick up a V2 to go with the XL. Still looking for a damned shroud ring thingy !

tearose50

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 2, 2011
Tennessee :-)
still new to all this but other than im guessing thread whats the difference between the 901 and the 510 ?

Here's the way I learned it: 306 warmer, 901 cooler and tastier. 510 was invented and became the most popular as it was a cross between the 2 and knocked many older styles off the market. (and now 510 refers to the compatability of the threads, as well---like 510 cartos, rba's or clearomizers.)

Then along comes what some have called "designer atties" with various tweeks including the 510 hybrids -- hybrid of the various successful qualities and sometimes called a cross between a 306 and a 510. And now we have the shifu (slant coil spec) hybrid improvement.....and dear Mr. Thatcher has just posted about how nice they are. :)

MaxPerilous

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2012
Edgewood, NM
Good info on the atties etc. I have high hopes for these shifu. At half the cost of a 357 if they are good at all they might be a staple in my vapage. I have found I like the 801 fusions lately. They work well for what they are and at $8 for 5 who cares how long they last. Even if it's only a week lol. Crosssing my fingers on this VMOD getting here tomorrow. We shall see.

ukeman

PV Masher
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 22, 2010
Kauai, Hawaii
Good info on the atties etc. I have high hopes for these shifu. At half the cost of a 357 if they are good at all they might be a staple in my vapage. I have found I like the 801 fusions lately. They work well for what they are and at $8 for 5 who cares how long they last. Even if it's only a week lol. Crosssing my fingers on this VMOD getting here tomorrow. We shall see.

Yes, imo Fusions are my favorite carto, but honestly, I haven't used one in months... they have everything you need, but not all you "want"... heheh why would i spend so dang much on a whole too many HH357's? ( i have a bunch, and they last me a month tops) Just can't beat the flavor... but shifu (sorry, they don't even call them that on the site; they are the newest version of the Vapage AMG hybrid b/f atomiser) is very very close, and the vape is more consistent...

shifu... err Vapage AMG hybrid, is designed like the HH357 and so is the Avidvaper (vendor of HH357) Aero... very similar. The shifu (newest) version has a slanted coil for some reason, and it is better than the previous V1.

Last edited:

aiccucs

Verified Member
Aug 3, 2012
Ohio
With the Shifu atty, how many drags/hits/vapes/etc do you get after you wet the atty?

I am doing the recommended method from Vapage which is the tilt, wait for bubble, tilt back and squeeze the bottle. With this method and the 2.0 ohm atty I get about 10 four second drags before I get a dry hit.

I'm fine with this but I am curious if this is typical.

Last edited:

ukeman

PV Masher
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 22, 2010
Kauai, Hawaii
Yes... think about it... 1. the tilt is a feed, but very minor. It requires that little squonk too. 2. If you had more juice in there it would be overfed (flooded) and lousy vape. Bottom feeding is dripping, but from the bottom. With dripping 3 drops is about the average.
With the Shifu atty, how many drags/hits/vapes/etc do you get after you wet the atty?

I am doing the recommended method from Vapage which is the tilt, wait for bubble, tilt back and squeeze the bottle. With this method and the 2.0 ohm atty I get about 10 four second drags before I get a dry hit.

I'm fine with this but I am curious if this is typical.

aiccucs

Verified Member
Aug 3, 2012
Ohio
Yes... think about it... 1. the tilt is a feed, but very minor. It requires that little squonk too. 2. If you had more juice in there it would be overfed (flooded) and lousy vape. Bottom feeding is dripping, but from the bottom. With dripping 3 drops is about the average.

Cool, thank you. It seemed about right but I wanted to be sure.

Katdarling

I'm still here on ECF... sort of. ;)
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 25, 2011
Utopia
Shifu's received.

Initial vape done.

Must confess thought you were all mad talking about them in comparison to a numbered atty.

I am happy to relate that you are not all mad. This Shifu cannot be close to breaking in yet and it is impressing me with both flavour and vape production.

Would we steer you wrong, Andy of Thatcher? (Welp, *I* would, but the others here are pretty nice peeps.)

Here's the way I learned it: 306 warmer, 901 cooler and tastier. 510 was invented and became the most popular as it was a cross between the 2 and knocked many older styles off the market. (and now 510 refers to the compatability of the threads, as well---like 510 cartos, rba's or clearomizers.)

Then along comes what some have called "designer atties" with various tweeks including the 510 hybrids -- hybrid of the various successful qualities and sometimes called a cross between a 306 and a 510. And now we have the shifu (slant coil spec) hybrid improvement.....and dear Mr. Thatcher has just posted about how nice they are. :)

From my "vast" (ha ha) knowledge of atomizers, here's my take:

The 510 focuses on throat hit and has a weakness in flavor, and moderate liquid consumption.

The 801 focuses primarily on vapor. Its weakness is throat hit and juice consumption is high.

The 901 has good flavor (perhaps the best, but let's check with Tat ;)) and good throat hit and very minimal liquid consumption. However there is more of a learning curve. Works best with a drip shield.

Tearose - Resident Atty Historian :toast:

Right on, Race. :)

ukeman

PV Masher
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 22, 2010
Kauai, Hawaii
good work tea,
I want to add that our once regular Fernand, pointed out that the col design of many wraps - even for an LR, which in rebuildables, less wraps = lower resistance, a la HH357, - many wraps provides a longer surface of coil for the juice to vaporize off of giving better flavor dividends... is to be found on the Vapage hybrids (and the Aero btw).

Funny now I think about it, never really saw the coils in conventional atomizers, or at least never paid attention.

Tat_skull

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 20, 2010
New Mexico
The 901 has good flavor (perhaps the best, but let's check with Tat ;)) and good throat hit and very minimal liquid consumption. However there is more of a learning curve. Works best with a drip shield.
Definatly the BEST flavor, also has the smoothest vape since TH isn't that strong. However, I tend to lean more towards no dripshield. I find the dripsheild restrics the airlow, thus reducing flavor:vapor:

ukeman

PV Masher
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 22, 2010
Kauai, Hawaii
901 has been my favorite for a couple years (now the 901 hh357) Haven't tried on the XL .. I agree with Tat... no drip shield for me either. hate them.
Of course though Vapage AMG newest model with slant coil is ... see previous posts hahah ... a no brainer. It may be a hybrid of 510 and 306, but the coolness is there too imo.
Definatly the BEST flavor, also has the smoothest vape since TH isn't that strong. However, I tend to lean more towards no dripshield. I find the dripsheild restrics the airlow, thus reducing flavor:vapor:

kalifornia

ECF Veteran
Jul 4, 2012
santa rosa, california
anyone know why if I slide the positive side of my battery alittle while its in the charger the light goes from red to green and back and forth? Im not sure if Im getting a full charge my multimeter alway shows 3.8-3.9 volts and I cant get it any higher. getting another charger for now is out of the question. help

Tat_skull

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 20, 2010
New Mexico
anyone know why if I slide the positive side of my battery alittle while its in the charger the light goes from red to green and back and forth? Im not sure if Im getting a full charge my multimeter alway shows 3.8-3.9 volts and I cant get it any higher. getting another charger for now is out of the question. help
It tends to do that with any charger, has something to do with the contact. Now as for getting 3.8-3.9(should be 4.19 to 4.21) fresh off the charger, well, hate to say it, but its the charder:ohmy:

Katdarling

I'm still here on ECF... sort of. ;)
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 25, 2011
Utopia

You and Uke are our nekkid 901 men. ;)

MaxPerilous

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2012
Edgewood, NM
So just got my VMOD XL about an hour ago. To impatient to wait for the battery that came with it to charge so I threw in the AW IMR 18650 that I use with the Provari. So far so good. Decent flavor and vapor, as long as you don't flood it. Def a learning curve to squonking. I took the lil rubber o-ring off the atty, the one above the threads, and it seems to self feed if not overly feed just by holding it horizontal when I vape it. I believe that's what I was supposed to do? Or should I put it back on? I guess I could try it both ways in the name of science since I have it in my hands now lol. It's also sort of the natural way I hold it anyways. I've actually had to vape occasionally with it vertical cause it feeds itself a lil to well lol.

The atty I got measured at 2ohm on the Provari. So I'm vaping well under my sweet spot. TBH I was really worried about not having VV. It's really not that bad. I need to order up some lower rez attie's and I think they will be just about spot on. As far as the atty that comes with the kit, I don't believe that it's the slant coil shifu that you guys are talkin about. Not entirely sure though. Does anyone have one of each and can post a pic good enough to see if there is a visual dif of the innards?

I'm completely happy with my purchase. I also had a code for 50% off ( I don't remember the code but all I did was google for it anyways). The only thing wrong with the whole deal is that shipping took forever and I ordered the wrong sleeve. I wound up getting the sleeve for the 2.0 instead of the XL. Shot an email to vapage so we shall see how that goes.

I'm not entirely sold on this mechanical mod yet. The convenience factor is there, that I don't have to constantly drip, but the vape isn't ideal due to the 2ohm atty and not being able to adjust it (aside from putting on a lower res atty). I'm giving this atty that came with it a good run though. Gonna vape it til I know for sure it's broken in and see how it gets on. I hope the vape is good for me with a 1.5ohm atty cause this little thing is awesome for it's simplicity and ease of use. If not, I'll be kicking it somehow to be able to still use an 18650.

I thought about trying to put a DNA chip in here as well. It's a lil cheaper and more complicated than using a kick. Also I'm sure the results will be pretty much the same with the kick and a whole lot less wires. We'll see what happens though. Gonna use this thing for a bit as a mechanical mod first before I start going Freddy Krueger on it. Later on tonight or tomorrow I will put my HH. 357 on and give that a go. I have a 1.5, 1.8, and a 2ohm lying around so I'll be able to see iif that make a dif. So far though (been writing this for over 30 mins now while vaping and dealing with the kid) while the vape with this 2ohm amg isn't ideal, it is def acceptable and vapes fairly well for what it is. The flavor is almost on par with the 357 on the provari though I'm not getting quite as full a flavor. That's prob due to not being able to turn up the voltage.

All in all I'm pretty happy with it. Got a good deal, it vapes well, and it's def very comfortable in my hand. I don't feel so worried about taking this out of the house and throwing it in my pocket while I ride my bike around. It's actually more comfortable to use and easier to hold with my gloves on (worn while riding though I'm sitting at my desk with one glove on lol). At the price and with it construction in mind I'm sure I could drop it and not hurt it and if it did break I wouldn't feel at a total loss cause in the end, it didn't cost $260.

I'll keep up with my findings here and once I've used it for a while and figured out what works best for me I'll blog about it like I do with most of my stuff so far. Thanks for all the good info and tips and tricks. Really helped me hit the ground running with this thing. Keep on keepin on Vmodians and...

Happy Vaping!

P.S. When do I get my official Vmodian title and all the status and grandeur that comes along with it?? lol

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread