Titanium wire, vaping and safety

Status
Not open for further replies.

stephanep

Feb 4, 2015
LIege, Belgium
I use a 0.4 wire on a sx mini @ 30 and check regularly for oxide formation and nothing.

I take care to not have hot leg and glowing coil before use and it seems ok. If i see oxide formation (the first time i used it i dried burn the coil), i throw the coil away and make a new one.
Of course since then, i don't dry burn anymore.

If TiO has to hurt you, you will get sign of hit a long time a lung cancer

TheotherSteveS

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 14, 2015
Birmingham, England
Does it? 10char

I really don't think it would be used in implants if there was a likelihood that nano chunks of TiO2 were breaking off and floating around. Its static in the coil aside from a bit of expansion when heated up a bit. Now more rutile TiO2 may be generated on heating but the literature I could find suggested that this only happens at much higher temps...I guess each has to make a call on what risk there is. Goes with pretty much every aspect of vaping! Im sure some of theses issues apply equally well to Kanthal, Ni200, nichrome etc etc.

TheotherSteveS

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 14, 2015
Birmingham, England
I'll keep going. I think its important..

'The U.S. Food & Drug Administration (2002) allows for its ingestion, external application including the eye area, and considers it a safe substance for public health. Other epidemiological studies showed that workers exposed to titanium dioxide exhibited no statistically significant relationship between such exposure with lung cancer and respiratory disease, although some cases of pulmonary fibrosis did occur. These studies were conducted in industrial settings where the increased exposure puts these individuals more at risk than the average person.'

also, notwithstanding cross-species comparison issue between rodents and humans, rats dosed with massive levels (250mg/m3) for 2 years (!) developed some small benign tumours which later healed. They did not do so even at 50mg/m3. As far as I can tell, mice don't even get these benign tumours..

Look, Im not saying its safe, I just think the available evidence for its carcinogenicity is is very poor or even absent. I may be wrong but I am of the opinion that with care, Ti is as safe as anything else we use in this game!

I will leave it there.....maybe...;)

Rossum

Eleutheromaniac
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 14, 2013
SE PA
Well, if it didn't, then it would expose more elemental titanium, which would then oxidize, and the resistance of the wire would increase. Yet I've run titanium coils for months of daily use with NO change in base resistance seen by the DNA40. Can you say the same about nickel? I don't know 'cause I've never ruin a nickel coil long enough to see whether its resistance changes. Some coil materials certainly increase in resistance over time; this was quite obvious with some cartos, but I'm not sure what those coils were made of.

Anyway, nickel also forms a protective oxide layer (and nickel oxide is considerably less benign that titanium dioxide). So does the nickel oxide stay put on the nickel wire?

dr g

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Mar 12, 2012
Paradise
I really don't think it would be used in implants if there was a likelihood that nano chunks of TiO2 were breaking off and floating around. Its static in the coil aside from a bit of expansion when heated up a bit. Now more rutile TiO2 may be generated on heating but the literature I could find suggested that this only happens at much higher temps...I guess each has to make a call on what risk there is. Goes with pretty much every aspect of vaping! Im sure some of theses issues apply equally well to Kanthal, Ni200, nichrome etc etc.

Implants generally do not see temperatures above 500 degrees F, and if they do the user has much bigger problems than oxides. lol

Well, if it didn't, then it would expose more elemental titanium, which would then oxidize, and the resistance of the wire would increase. Yet I've run titanium coils for months of daily use with NO change in base resistance seen by the DNA40. Can you say the same about nickel? I don't know 'cause I've never ruin a nickel coil long enough to see whether its resistance changes. Some coil materials certainly increase in resistance over time; this was quite obvious with some cartos, but I'm not sure what those coils were made of.

I can, I have months-old nickel coils in some of my atomizers.

Anyway, nickel also forms a protective oxide layer (and nickel oxide is considerably less benign that titanium dioxide). So does the nickel oxide stay put on the nickel wire?

Empirical evidence says yes, otherwise those that are allergic to it would exhibit symptoms. Unfortunately no such evidence is available for titanium dioxide.

All I know is that in any commercial use I've seen of titanium oxides, they are soft, powdery, and get everywhere. :/

Last edited:

Rossum

Eleutheromaniac
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 14, 2013
SE PA
I can, I have months-old nickel coils in some of my atomizers.
Are they used heavily every day?

Empirical evidence says yes, otherwise those that are allergic to it would exhibit symptoms.
You mean like irritation in the mouth and throat? I'm your Huckleberry. I get that with nichrome, with R41, and with straight nickel. It's not immediate, it always takes several days of vaping such a coil, but it becomes quite noticeable after a while. I don't get that with Kanthal, stainless steel, or titanium. That is in fact what pushed me to try the titanium I already had laying around very quickly after getting my first DNA40 back in October.

All I know is that in any commercial use I've seen of titanium oxides, they are soft, powdery, and get everywhere. :/
Yep, and cotton burns. Thus it's obviously an unsuitable material for wicking a coil. ;)

Look, I'm not saying nickel is bad for those who don't have a sensitivity to it. I do happen to think it's a pain to work with because it's too soft and its resistance is too low, and that titanium doesn't have those issues. If people are happy with nickel, I have no problem with them vaping nickel coils, but there's quite a few people who are frustrated with nickel for one reason or another. Titanium might just be the solution that gives them the benefits of temperature limitation without the hassles of a nickel coil.

Reactions: Angel Eyes

tchavei

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 15, 2014
Portugal
I just want titanium for the bragging rights.

A friend comes by showing off his new shiny mod and I get to say "cool, but does it have a titanium coil?"

That's priceless and worth one or two benign tumors in the long run although I'm sure I'll die sooner due to ECF stress.

Call me what you want, at least I'm honest.

Regards
Tony

Sent from my keyboard through my phone or something like that.

SissySpike

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 1, 2012
San Diego CA
I have some Ti coming I have tried Ni and It gives me a sore throat, but in never happened in my Ody or Ithaka but then It was just hot legs not coils.

First I tried in in a dripper a few time and always I woke up with a sore throat. But if I ware metal with NI in it I get a rash.

Making sure it was not in my head I bought some NI coils for my Smoke VCT mixed it with a Kanthel coil closed my eyes picked one put the other one away and then vaped it no sore throat! look at the one in the drawer and it was the NI coil so I repeated 2 more times and sure enough when I got the NI coil I got a sore throat.

So Im pretty sure Its my allergy to nickel thats giving me trouble I hope I have better luck with the TI wire.

Reactions: Angel Eyes

Phone Guy

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 25, 2013
Arlington, Texas - USA
I just want titanium for the bragging rights.

A friend comes by showing off his new shiny mod and I get to say "cool, but does it have a titanium coil?"

That's priceless and worth one or two benign tumors in the long run although I'm sure I'll die sooner due to ECF stress.

Call me what you want, at least I'm honest.

Regards
Tony

Sent from my keyboard through my phone or something like that.
Again, who can argue with that logic....ECF stress! LMAO

stephanep

Feb 4, 2015
LIege, Belgium
Yep, and cotton burns. Thus it's obviously an unsuitable material for wicking a coil. ;)

Fiber Freak doesn't burn. It's far more resistant than cotton. And dry hit are far less harsh. It's vert popular in Europe where it send back Japanese cotton where it comes from. The price can seem a con, but you can last between 4 & 6 month with one pack.

Should give it a try to complete your experience.

Ryedan

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 31, 2012
Ontario, Canada
Fiber Freak doesn't burn. It's far more resistant than cotton. And dry hit are far less harsh. It's vert popular in Europe where it send back Japanese cotton where it comes from. The price can seem a con, but you can last between 4 & 6 month with one pack.

As I said the other day stephanep, I probably have 200 years worth of rayon here :). I was still willing to try this stuff when I was ordering wire from Zivipf.de, but I'm not going to buy wicking (or wire) unless I know what it's made from and they don't say.

Phone Guy

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 25, 2013
Arlington, Texas - USA

I bought into rayon, have a 3 pound box of the stuff.... Went thru silica, ekowool, rayon, cotton balls... Japanese cotton has outperformed them all for me, in taste, wicking, ease, etc. I can't imagine koga being any better than KGD or muji (or is it Fuji? ), cotton bacon, etc... I'm pretty satisfied with Japanese cotton (KGD & "muji" which look and work exactly the same for me)

dr g

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Mar 12, 2012
Paradise
You mean like irritation in the mouth and throat? I'm your Huckleberry. I get that with nichrome, with R41, and with straight nickel. It's not immediate, it always takes several days of vaping such a coil, but it becomes quite noticeable after a while. I don't get that with Kanthal, stainless steel, or titanium. That is in fact what pushed me to try the titanium I already had laying around very quickly after getting my first DNA40 back in October.

Your results continue to be interesting, given how many people with fairly severe allergies have no issues at all. Smacks of placebo, really. How severe is your skin sensitivity to nickel, say on your hands?

Look, I'm not saying nickel is bad for those who don't have a sensitivity to it.

By any objective evidence it's perfectly fine for the vast majority of people who do have sensitivity to it as well. Nickel has not been found to leach into vapor even though most testing has been done on nichrome coils.

TheotherSteveS

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 14, 2015
Birmingham, England
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread