Status
Not open for further replies.

tchavei

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 15, 2014
Portugal
I know what you mean but wiggling tells me if I'm not tightened down enough i.e. if not, the coil moves around a bit..
Yep. Same reason. If it can't withstand a wiggle, it's not tight enough.
I never do that. It almost always causes me problems. I usually just snip the excess (kanthal I'm talking about here)

Sorry for my off topic comment, back to titanium!
I understand and agree especially with titanium if it's a bit* to break but as I said, it's a good final control that that wire is secure. If it isn't it will take longer to break and you might even notice the coil moving which basically tells you the build sucks :)

Regards
Tony

Sent from my keyboard through my phone or something like that.

Woofer

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 8, 2014
PA, SK, CA
ff is not rayon. It has been studied and been made especially for vaping purpose.

I really have a hard time with have you ever see a rayon plant, think several acres spitting out tons a rayon a day.
Specially made for a vape shop, sure how many rail cars would you like every week?

Reactions: JeremyR

stephanep

Feb 4, 2015
LIege, Belgium
Funny how you judge a product without even test it.
I have tested the rayon from graham and it's not worth the ff It's not even close.
If the entire europe adopted it and not the graham rayon, there is probably a raeson for that.
But if someone from this forum want to test it and post a report i'm ready to send a sample to 3 people.
If these people can feel free to send me a sample of rayon if they want (i already have graham) in order for me to compare.
I have 10 worldwide stamps I will probably never use and i will be happy to make my point.
You can MP if you want some, it's free.

I'm using the density 1.

And there is definitely batteries which suit to vaping and other not. What's matter is the specs of the product.
I guess there is different wicking specs according to the rayon used. These specs are : quantity of liquid absorption, speed of absorption, adsorption (rate of delivery of the liquid), residual taste.

Rossum

Eleutheromaniac
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 14, 2013
SE PA
Funny how you judge a product without even test it.
It starts with people making silly claims like, "FF is not rayon" when it clearly is.

I have tested the rayon from graham and it's not worth the ff It's not even close.
I agree, there are better rayons than Graham "Cellucotton".

If the entire europe adopted it and not the graham rayon, there is probably a raeson for that.
More silly claims. The "entire Europe", eh?

But if someone from this forum want to test it and post a report i'm ready to send a sample to 3 people.
If these people can feel free to send me a sample of rayon if they want (i already have graham) in order for me to compare.
I have 10 worldwide stamps I will probably never use and i will be happy to make my point.
You can MP if you want some, it's free.
Maybe you should head for a thread about wicking materials? This thread is about titanium wire for coils.

And there is definitely batteries which suit to vaping and other not. What's matter is the specs of the product.
Right, but the companies that rewrap batteries typically misrepresent the specs, making claims like "35 Amps" for a 20A battery, while never telling you that 35A is the manufacturer's "pulse" rating or telling you what the manufacturer's continuous rating actually is.

tchavei

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 15, 2014
Portugal
awww tony, now you stressed me out...;)
That's just your impression. Nobody is putting any kind of pressure.

I would be happier though if you stop wasting time and post those findings... :D :D ;)

Well?? Hello?? :D

Regards
Tony

TheotherSteveS

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 14, 2015
Birmingham, England
Ok,

On the basis that someone posted about dry burnig Ti coils and using non-spaced coils etc I thought I would have a go.
Bottom line is that I have decided this may not be a great idea...here is why..

image3.jpg

So I did a moderate pulsing with TC off and things looked ok. Pinched the coil etc as one does and got it glowing from middle out as usual. Then I messed with it too much, disturbed one of the coil turns and had to pulse again. Not too hot, just glowing...Then gave it one last pulse for luck before wicking. This time I let it go a bit too long and it got a bit hotter, 'orange' hot if you know what i mean...Then I noticed that it had changed colour somewhat - much lighter. Opps, thought I, that is oxidation. So to check I heated it some more and then went at it with my ceramic tweezers. The puic shows that I knocked off a significant amount of the TiO2 (I presume) coating...this is how much came off about 1/4 of the coil deposued on my ohm meter for contrast

image2.jpg

So I dont know what to say here. Obviously I went at it pretty hard but not much more than I would do with Kanthal. Even a moderate amount of heating will generate substantial quantities of a rather friable surface coating of TiO2...

Now, having said all of this, I loked carefully at a couple of spaced coils (no dry burning/pulsing etc) that I have been using in a dripper and the subtank for the last week and there is no sign of any colour change ie no apparent increase in oxide beyond what is normally on the Ti surface.

Make of all this what you will. Im sure someone must have doen this before but I couldnt find any ref to it so here it is for all those interested in Ti for TC.

Bottom line is I am still using it but I certainly wont be dry bruning or pulsing for building/cleaning purposes. Although I beat on it, heating in air to high temp is not a good idea to my mind. In contrast, normal Tc-regulated heating with a wet wick etc seems to be fine even over a reasonably protracted period of time (`1 week for the same coil)

I'll be interested to see what people think!

TheotherSteveS

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 14, 2015
Birmingham, England

tchavei

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 15, 2014
Portugal
Ok,

On the basis that someone posted about dry burnig Ti coils and using non-spaced coils etc I thought I would have a go.
Bottom line is that I have decided this may not be a great idea...here is why..

View attachment 425855

So I did a moderate pulsing with TC off and things looked ok. Pinched the coil etc as one does and got it glowing from middle out as usual. Then I messed with it too much, disturbed one of the coil turns and had to pulse again. Not too hot, just glowing...Then gave it one last pulse for luck before wicking. This time I let it go a bit too long and it got a bit hotter, 'orange' hot if you know what i mean...Then I noticed that it had changed colour somewhat - much lighter. Opps, thought I, that is oxidation. So to check I heated it some more and then went at it with my ceramic tweezers. The puic shows that I knocked off a significant amount of the TiO2 (I presume) coating...this is how much came off about 1/4 of the coil deposued on my ohm meter for contrast

View attachment 425857

So I dont know what to say here. Obviously I went at it pretty hard but not much more than I would do with Kanthal. Even a moderate amount of heating will generate substantial quantities of a rather friable surface coating of TiO2...

Now, having said all of this, I loked carefully at a couple of spaced coils (no dry burning/pulsing etc) that I have been using in a dripper and the subtank for the last week and there is no sign of any colour change ie no apparent increase in oxide beyond what is normally on the Ti surface.

Make of all this what you will. Im sure someone must have doen this before but I couldnt find any ref to it so here it is for all those interested in Ti for TC.

Bottom line is I am still using it but I certainly wont be dry bruning or pulsing for building/cleaning purposes. Although I beat on it, heating in air to high temp is not a good idea to my mind. In contrast, normal Tc-regulated heating with a wet wick etc seems to be fine even over a reasonably protracted period of time (`1 week for the same coil)

I'll be interested to see what people think!
I had no idea the oxide would be so much after a dry burn.

I wasn't thinking in dry burning or pulsing Ti but this just reinforces what I plan to do.

Thank you for your explanation :)

Regards
Tony

Rossum

Eleutheromaniac
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 14, 2013
SE PA
I take it Rossum you dont dry burn this stuff?!?!
Right, I don't dry burn it in the traditional manner. I pull the wick (rayon) out, blot away juice with a wet paper towel, then fire it in temperature limiting mode. That's hot enough to produce some smoke, so I suppose it's burning off some crud. I also go at it with a wet pipe cleaner. The water produces a nice sizzling action, kinda like how you'd clean a griddle. I won't say this gets the coil as clean as a traditional dry-burn on Kanthal, but it's good enough for me to vape another 100 or so ml through it after that.

TheotherSteveS

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 14, 2015
Birmingham, England
Interestingly I just checked the solubility of oxygen in glycerol and it is much less soluble even in a 20% solution (glycerol:water w/w). So in high VG and possibly PG concentrations (near 100% of one +/- other in our case) there is probaly a lot less O2 around than when the Ti is exposed to heat in air!

This is really quite interesting chemistry if you like that kind of thing!

Last edited:

TheotherSteveS

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 14, 2015
Birmingham, England
Right, I don't dry burn it in the traditional manner. I pull the wick (rayon) out, blot away juice with a wet paper towel, then fire it in temperature limiting mode. That's hot enough to produce some smoke, so I suppose it's burning off some crud. I also go at it with a wet pipe cleaner. The water produces a nice sizzling action, kinda like how you'd clean a griddle. I won't say this gets the coil as clean as a traditional dry-burn on Kanthal, but it's good enough for me to vape another 100 or so ml through it after that.

Ok! So you dont see any increase in surface TiO2 when you do this? Presumably not or you wouldnt be doing it!
To be honest, I found that just running it under warm water and then brushing it with an old soft bristle tooth brush works pretty well without any heating at all! Im using 24g so ite pretty sturdy!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread