UGH....did YOU have side effects???

Status
Not open for further replies.

VapingNTexas

Jul 12, 2009
Texas
Here are some side effects I experienced so far in my 2 months of vaping.
One, it seems that vaping attracts mosquitoes. Mosquitoes never bothered me before, so it is either somehow the vapor attracts them, or they were really repelled by the analogs before.
Two, vaping outside in the heat is rather refreshing and cooling to the lips.
Three, I don't have the energy I used to have. I have been more lethargic since I started vaping and I've gained 4 pounds. I hope this is more attributed to cutting way back on analogs (I have 2 a day now, down from 20) or maybe it is from the excessive heat here in Texas.
Anyone else suffer from lethargy after starting vaping?
Four, like others have stated, I have very vivid dreams and I remember them clearly.

quovadis

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jul 5, 2009
Florida USA
Nope, no side effects whatsoever.
The first day was harsh, but that was due to the Heavy Shag Cigar e-liquid i started with.
Been Vaping about a week now non-stop.

In fact, i noticed that Vaping has given me more energy recently.
Of course it could all be purely psychological !
My wife hates the smell though. I can't smell a darn thing.

The only real negative side effect I've experienced seemed to relate to the amount of nicotine I've used. I smoked ultra-lights for many years, and have mixed strengths in juice as I've explored vaping. At the stronger level of nicotine it was similar to smoking a strong cigarette - slight dizzy feeling, that kind of thing. Levelling off to a lower rate has balanced that and I actually vape less than I smoked if I compare instances and actual "puffs".

Lots of good side effects - I'm sleeping much better, don't wake up all the time, feel more rested in the morning. Wife says my snoring is all but gone. Everything smells better including me, I assume.

Best wishes for success!

edlogic

ECF Veteran
Jun 7, 2009
jax fla usa
www.edlogic.com
I had concerns of side-effects when I started too. Chest tightness is one. That, for the most part, had gone away after 2 weeks of vaping. I was smoking analogs at the same time for the first 2 weeks. Can't really say much there but, for my body, I found staying hydrated helped for some reason. Not only that but helped the minor sore throat too. I had neither side effect very badly though.

What I DID have was this crazy feeling of being oddly "stoned". Like removed from everything. Hard to concentrate and felt sliiigtly out of body, for lack of a better term.

I have a new theory for this side-effect that I just discovered. I think I may have an allergic reaction to the primer on the atomizers when they come new. Just a few days ago, I received two new atomizers. I snagged one right away, dripped on it one drop, filled up a new cart, and started vaping.... Those same symptoms of feeling "stoned" came back!!! I switched back to my old atomizer and the feeling wore off.

So, I'm going to try to burn the primer off. The vendor I bought from suggested dripping a few drops on the atty and letting it burn for a few seconds at a time.

And, if you quit smoking entirely, you will most likely vape a *lot*. A big reason people vape a lot is because, according to the few studies we have so far, a puff off an e-cig has only about 10% of the nicotine in one puff of a regular cigarette (this using 16mg e-liquid... would be ~15% for your 24mg if you don't cut it). Some theorize about whether the rest of the nicotine stays in your lungs and gets absorbed over time. As far as I know, no studies have been done to look into that aspect.

Keep that in mind if you quit entirely. I'm, to the day, 2 weeks out from quitting smoking and after the fourth day, I was ripping peoples' heads off and couldn't figure out why until I realizied that I'm was as close as I could be to going cold turkey. I picked up some Camel Snus and that took the edge off but gave me heartburn and bad breath... ugh!

More than anything, don't take my word or anyone else's. There are more people that do not experience side effects as opposed to those that do. Listen to your body. If you aren't feeling good, stop. Stay safe and aware.

Good luck :)

how is it going for you lately ?

that is exactly the problem i keep having - i can't figure it out - i have tried different ejuices and cut the ejuice down with pg and vg

at first i thought that it was flavoring that i added - but now i don't think that is it

it seems that no matter what i do - i have to make sure i only vape a little bit and then wait for a while and see if i start feeling it too much and after that - i vape a little more

it is so strange because to start with i was vaping like crazy all day with no problem - so there must be something to do with the type of ejuice or me adding the vg or pg

i am going to keep trying different things until i figure this out - if i only vape a little then the s e is not that bad and i can cope - but if i make the mistake of vaping too much then it is really bothersome

Bandit

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jul 17, 2009
In your bushes, watching you undress
2 things:

Watch as many youtube videos, or videos here and you'll notice something rather amusing... most every one has a small little cough. If they are on camera for more than a few minutes, you'll hear almost everyone having to clear their throat, and have a small cough.

The symptoms listed in "the big thread" of symptoms... so many try to attribute those to withdrawals or somehow from quitting cigarettes. Really? LOL Soooo, blisters in the mouth/on the tongue, hacking cough and sinus infections stem from eliminating cigarettes from your system? LOL Ok...

What we're inhaling is not safe, but it is also not nearly as dangerous as a real cigarette. In ten years we may learn what these are REALLY doing to our bodies, and it may be just as bad in the long run... who knows. All Iknow is that I am 6 days entirely smoke-free and I am loving it. I enjoy vaping and "feel" better, so I'll stick with it.

ZambucaLu

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Nov 23, 2008
Central NY, USA
What we're inhaling is not safe,

And you have seen conclusive studies on this?

but it is also not nearly as dangerous as a real cigarette.

Since it does not contain all the chemicals in cigarettes, we do 'assume' it's safer, yes

In ten years we may learn what these are REALLY doing to our bodies, and it may be just as bad in the long run... who knows. All Iknow is that I am 6 days entirely smoke-free and I am loving it. I enjoy vaping and "feel" better, so I'll stick with it.

Until there are conclusive studies done either way, I can only go by how much better vaping makes me feel than smoking. Any side effects I've had were minor and have since abated. Except, if I don't vape for a while, I will cough on the first few hits (which didn't happen with analogs)....or if I take too big of a hit, I will cough (same as with analogs).

So I don't think it's accurate to say vaping isn't safe until long term studies are conducted. And right, we really can't say it is safer either until that time....so that leaves it all up to personal choice on what we personally believe and how it makes us feel.

I often cite 2 pages from LaceyUnderall's website. Lacey is big in the ECA and she is all about not making false claims, one way or the other. For a good read, look here:

Electronic Cigarettes; Health, Safety, and Quit Smoking Claims | Electronic Cigarettes by Instead E-Cigarette

Comparing Electronic Cigarettes To Tobacco Cigarettes | Electronic Cigarettes by Instead E-Cigarette

Lu

Nestran

ECF Veteran
Jul 29, 2009
Rhode Island
Yes I have noticed the coughing on the youtube videos. Also keep in mind that those videos tend to take a lot of takes so they are vaping a LOT.

Anyhoo, I think I can dispel some of the supposed vaping side effects vs stopping smoking as I am a 3 week cold turkey that has not started to vape yet:

Lethargy - Yup, stopping smoking will do that one. They attrib it to nic withdrawal so if you have it then either you need to increase your mg or there is something else in analogs that is doing it.

Irritability - We all know that one.

Leg fatigue - Again, stopping the analogs seems to cause this, I went through it for two days about 7 -10 days into the quit.

Sleep issues - I went through this for a few nights about 1 week in waking every hour and then falling asleep again.

Random heart rate increase - AKA Anxiety, yeah this is def from stopping analogs. Not sure if it's nic or something else in the anaalogs though.

You may also notice a lack of focus, increased appetite.
I have not, at this point, at 3 weeks, experienced any of the mucous discharge that is always talked about.

Nestran

Briar

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jul 28, 2009
A fool on the hill in Deposit, NY
OK, I just thought I'd pipe in on the subject I know something about. :)

I've smoked cigs for close to 30 years. About a pack a day, various strengths and brands. I tried quitting at least ten times. Never lasted more than two weeks, except once, when I quit for a year. I experienced pretty much the same symptoms every single time, with or without nic replacement. These were:

- Asthma. I am normally mildly asthmatic. Symptoms flare up from allergies and overdoing smoking (or, now, vaping apparently), but are usually mild, unless I have bronchitis, which often puts me in a hospital. Quitting analogs gives me symptoms almost as bad as bronchitis. Just horrible.

- Coughing up gunk, quite apart from asthma symptoms.

- Sleeplessness for first three nights or so. Not just disturbed sleep, but total inability to sleep, even with strong meds.

- Irritability, anxiety, depression, suicidal ideation.

- Muscle cramps, aches and twitches.

- Feeling like my skin crawls with ants - this is really, really bad.

- Picking up viruses and infections easily.

- Digestive disturbances of all sorts.

- Exhaustion. This one is ultimately what does me in. It just gets to the point where I not only lose all motivation for quitting, but all motivation for *living*...

There is something else I'd like to add. Digging through these threads, I've run across an "it's all in your mind, it's about willpower, etc." opinion. I'd like to emphatically say that it's not, IMO.

I believe that different people have variously developed biochemical defense mechanisms against what our bodies perceive as "assaults". Our bodies like to keep a status quo, for the lack of a better word, I think. When we try to change something, it's always difficult, be it diet, starting an addictive substance, or ending an addictive substance. It's a complicated self-balancing dynamic system, which we don't understand very well, and over which we have less voluntary control than we think, I believe.

I've known several very strong-willed people who could not quit, and died of it, and at least one pretty weak-willed one (my Mom, actually) who quit cold-turkey with no side effects whatsoever.

I have no doubt that side-effects from vaping (aside from side-effects from quitting analogs) are possible, not the least of those being breathing disturbances from inhaling an alien substance of any kind. But if it helps me get off analogs, I'll suck it in and do it. My dream is to become a "reacreational" vaper, since "recreational" smoking is impossible for me.

Or, maybe, eventually quitting altogether. It seems possible with this kind of transition, if just barely... At least I can try.

At the very least, vaping tastes better. The horrible taste of cigs is quickly becoming a negative reinforcement for me, so who knows... The day is young.

Cheers,
Briar.

jackv

ECF Veteran
Jul 21, 2009
indiana
I do vape all day, but then again I smoked all day and woke up at night to smoke! My only probems have been some muscle aches, mild and chin spots, clearing up, thank you. I can live with those problems.
I am begining to think it was withdrawal, not vaping.
Mary

Yikes!! Whats with the chin spots?? I don't notice any real SE other than a bit of wooziness at first but I rather like it.:)

Browsing around tonight, just got my 901 yesterday and VG to cut 24mg juice from MyVaporStore, charged my batteries today and plan on trying this out tomorrow as I still have to cut the juice. The more I read, the more I read people having allergies, tightness in the chest, dream issues, sleep walking....yikes! People are reporting SE's showing up awhile after starting vaping.

I do see though that a good many people seem to vape um...non-stop during the day. I can't envision doing that myself. I smoke a pack or less a day. I don't smoke in my car, don't smoke in my house aside from right under the stove fan in the kitchen.

I'm wondering if the SE's are mostly with folks who vape all day long, how many people really have no issues at all with SE's. I'm also wondering if I shouldn't be cutting the juice even more than 50/50 to be on the safe side.

Any input would be appreciated...
hello,i've been vaping for 3 days now.been using 36mg tw redbull,licorice,camel.i personally havent had any feelings i've gotten from cigs.my breathing ,congestion,coughs have seemed to go away.today i bought vg to mix w my juice.lil more vapor, but havent noticed the nasal irritation i've read about.been vaping all day literally.even in bed and that has been a first since the wifey doesnt smoke.i hope you have the same enjoyment.anything is better than smokes,although i do miss the taste of real tobacco.good luck

DaBrat

ECF Veteran
Jun 22, 2009
Back end of GA
www.myspace.com
I have been vaping for over a month. From 2 packs of strong ciggies to exclusively vaping. I experience the leg cramps... have also been getting hot flashes usually after vaping, not sure what thats about. Cut my juice with VG to see if that helps. Before I had more energy, now it is seeming to wane. But I think that is more forcing myself to continue in spite of muscle cramps. Some issues with constipation but I think I smoked so much that I was always in a borderline state of nic OD.

Skin is clearer than it has been in ten years. Skin not as dry as it used to be. Hair has more sheen and softness (guess its not coated in tar). I am able to sleep through the night. No more coughing and no more constant headache that I used to have. My tastebuds are coming back, I have started eating sweets which I only did before on rare occasions. Unfortunately, I am afraid my waistine will tell which explains pushing through the leg cramps. Will keep you aprised.

Last edited:

emsmom

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Mar 19, 2009
Arizona
Yeah Stevensnell, don't think this is one a lot talk about, but I have sure noticed this! Can be quite the problem:) Maybe has something to do with the lactic acid produced?? My son has said the exact same thing so we are just a noisy house these days:) I had kind of hoped this would calm down in time, but so far, after six months still quite musical. Figure this is still better than the analogs!

DaBrat

ECF Veteran
Jun 22, 2009
Back end of GA
www.myspace.com
I had really chapped lips for a few days while getting used to my dse901.
My sense of smell has returned ... actually a bit too much... i can smell everything. Hopefully that will die down a bit.

Ditto on the smell thing... Ewww .....especially with a teenaged boy that exercises regularly....lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread