Status
Not open for further replies.

IMRs

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 15, 2013
Penn's woods
Ah, then it might be just a bad connection, which can certainly make the reading bounce. Could be the coil isn't fully seated in the base, or just not quite long enough, if either it's pin or the Vamo pin is a tiny bit depressed.

And do check the warranty period from the vendor, as they can vary quite a bit.

I think you are right on the money with this. After the last post, I did try pulling the post up a little and it fixed it for about a second, but the post is just depressing back in, and also I was tightening the heads down just to see if it would stop bouncing and it pretty much worked, but I refuse to tighten heads down like that, so it looks like I have to do another replacement. This is actually a replacement... the first had a bad negative button that was flopping around. I'm afraid to see what the 3rd one will turn out like.:blink: I just hope they pull it out of a different batch. I've had a Vamo v2 for over a year now and still is going strong.
Thanks so much for the help David!! :toast:

Davey59

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 29, 2014
Monroe WA
This came as part of the receipt for mine. One of the reasons I chose this supplier.

Vamo note.jpg

IMRs

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 15, 2013
Penn's woods
This came as part of the receipt for mine. One of the reasons I chose this supplier.

View attachment 374840
Wow, that's pretty amazing. :thumb: I really like that last piece. I went round and round with the people I bought the Vamov2 from, about protected and unprotected batteries because those grey batts (forget what they were called, but I had to laugh because I remember a caption saying 'Special batteries' on them and that was when I immediately got skeptical about them. Turns out... back then, everybody on here told me it's not a good idea to use them. The vendor kept telling me they were fine and that they were the batts that came with it. I fought with him for about 2 weeks about it and he never did email back to me for a refund on them. Hence, This is how I ended up becoming a member here and this is why I picked my username for ECF. :facepalm::laugh:

Davey59

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 29, 2014
Monroe WA
Oooookay, I am rolling the dice and ordered a Vamo V5 from Ali express. Should be interesting. 17.10 shipped for this shiny was to much temptation for this weak willed vape ...... :) Well, I suppose I only ordered just 1 so I certainly should get some points for that!

Vaping on a KSD V5 topped with a AeroTank Mega filled with delicious chocolate shake juice as I write. :)

Sue1971

ECF Veteran
Aug 22, 2010
Mass
Hi all, just got my vamo v5 today, from Fasttech, took about 2 weeks. Just a couple questions, if you don't mind.

I am using an Efest 2500mah IMR 18650 3.7V LI-MN high drain Rechargeable Battery, Discharge current:35A (that's whats printed on the battery) Is this battery ok to use?

Right now I'm using a PTmini with a 2.2ohm coil vaping at 4.0 watts. Nice flavor and getting alot a vape that I like. went from a MVP 2.0 to this I know some are going to say why. Well I really do not like the button on the MVP so I'm gifting that to my husband, I love the button on the Vamo so far.

Ok another question I have before I get long winded..lol

I read at the beginning of this thread from someone, "It still defaulted to mean instead of rms." <----- What does that mean????

Thanks

edyle

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 23, 2013
Port-of-Spain, Trinidad & Tobago
Hi all, just got my vamo v5 today, from Fasttech, took about 2 weeks. Just a couple questions, if you don't mind.

I am using an Efest 2500mah IMR 18650 3.7V LI-MN high drain Rechargeable Battery, Discharge current:35A (that's whats printed on the battery) Is this battery ok to use?

Right now I'm using a PTmini with a 2.2ohm coil vaping at 4.0 watts. Nice flavor and getting alot a vape that I like. went from a MVP 2.0 to this I know some are going to say why. Well I really do not like the button on the MVP so I'm gifting that to my husband, I love the button on the Vamo so far.

Ok another question I have before I get long winded..lol

I read at the beginning of this thread from someone, "It still defaulted to mean instead of rms." <----- What does that mean????

Thanks

1: Yes IMR 35A battery is good.

2: miniprotank on a vamo at 4 watts: sounds like me a year ago (although I just use the base and screw on the larger protank), until I started rewicking with cotton.

3: Not sure how the v5 menu goes or if it's an option, but on my v3, you hold down the left button for about 10 seconds; first the battery voltage shows then if you hold long enough (10 sec) it says either RMS or MEAN. If it says MEAN, you repeat the process again, and it should come up RMS instead.

DavidOck

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 3, 2013
Halfway to Paradise, WA
1: Yes IMR 35A battery is good.

2: miniprotank on a vamo at 4 watts: sounds like me a year ago (although I just use the base and screw on the larger protank), until I started rewicking with cotton.

3: Not sure how the v5 menu goes or if it's an option, but on my v3, you hold down the left button for about 10 seconds; first the battery voltage shows then if you hold long enough (10 sec) it says either RMS or MEAN. If it says MEAN, you repeat the process again, and it should come up RMS instead.

My V5 works the same way on the mode change, strange as that may seem with all the makers out there!

RMS is what you want, as the regulated output is a lot "smoother", so the power delivered isn't so much of a yo-yo.

And with that topper value, I'd guess you're in Mean, Sue, as it runs quite a bit "hotter" in that mode. And harsher, ime. (Although the mini PT doesn't have a lot of air flow, so maybe that 4 watts is right for it and the flavor.)

Sue1971

ECF Veteran
Aug 22, 2010
Mass
Well I actually have a re-coiled coil, That I did, I've been vaping for 6 months now and been re wicking with both wick and cotton. I haven't decided on what wicking material I like better yet. So when I do recoil I do half wick, half cotton. I've played around with all ohms from 0.8 (by accident) to 2.5's, I'm not into the massive clouds.

I did crank the vamo up to 15w to see what it would do. and Uhhhhg tooo hot tasted dry burnt. I'm surprised I didn't ruin my coil. but it didn't. I usally vaped at 7.5- 8.0w on the mvp.

And to be honest I think the ptmini has a very airy draw for me, I actually put a piece of tape over one of the air holes...lol

I will try changing the setting to the RMS and then play around with the wattage to see if I see a difference...

Thank you for the tips :)

Update: So I did change to the RMS mode. and tried to vape at 4w, and it was a very poor vape. cranked up to 8w and back to the vape I was getting at the 4w. So now my question is, with this setting is this going to drain the battery life vaping at a higher wattage?

Last edited:

DavidOck

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 3, 2013
Halfway to Paradise, WA
Well I actually have a re-coiled coil, That I did, I've been vaping for 6 months now and been re wicking with both wick and cotton. I haven't decided on what wicking material I like better yet. So when I do recoil I do half wick, half cotton. I've played around with all ohms from 0.8 (by accident) to 2.5's, I'm not into the massive clouds.

I did crank the vamo up to 15w to see what it would do. and Uhhhhg tooo hot tasted dry burnt. I'm surprised I didn't ruin my coil. but it didn't. I usally vaped at 7.5- 8.0w on the mvp.

And to be honest I think the ptmini has a very airy draw for me, I actually put a piece of tape over one of the air holes...lol

I will try changing the setting to the RMS and then play around with the wattage to see if I see a difference...

Update: So I did change to the RMS mode. and tried to vape at 4w, and it was a very poor vape. cranked up to 8w and back to the vape I was getting at the 4w. So now my question is, with this setting is this going to drain the battery life vaping at a higher wattage?

For my single bottom coils, I generally rebuild with a silica wick and a cotton flavor wick. That way, I can toss the flavor wicks, clean, dry burn, and pop in another piece of yarn. Some don't like the flavor of different wicks, and while silica isn't my favorite, I do like the convenience. It's possible too, to just use all cotton and rewick - carefully - when needed. On true re-buildables, I use rayon. I find it wicks better than cotton (which wicks better than silica.)

You might find that you do need to recharge a bit more often, at the higher power. Or not. In Mean mode the regulation circuit is bouncing the voltage (and hence the current) up and down to find and (try to hold) so may not be as efficient, so there might not be much difference. But with your 2500 mAh battery (and you do have more than one, yes :) ) and not being into clouds, you shouldn't have any problems going a day or more between charges.

And I find the smoother vape worth it. :)

edyle

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 23, 2013

No; it's just an error; most likely the guy who originally did the programming was a ... well ... programmer, and didn't know eletrics, and the job of the chip was to work out the voltage which he just programmed for using a (mean=average) average value; but electrically, the correct value is the RMS value (squareROOT of the MEAN of the Squared voltages).

Basically the math is wrong in MEAN mode but in RMS mode it is correct and the watts you see in RMS mode is the correct amount of watts.

Last edited:

Sue1971

ECF Veteran
Aug 22, 2010
Mass
Yes, I do have more than one battery, (always need back ups :) ) I also got two of the the small batteries so I can see if I like the shorter profile of the vamo for when I need to drop the kids off at school and shopping. When I need to charge this big battery that's when I'll take the extra tube off and run in short mode..., I do relize I wont have the vape time on the short battery, but I don't mind keeping the extra battery with me.

For my single bottom coils, I generally rebuild with a silica wick and a cotton flavor wick. That way, I can toss the flavor wicks, clean, dry burn, and pop in another piece of yarn. Some don't like the flavor of different wicks, and while silica isn't my favorite, I do like the convenience. It's possible too, to just use all cotton and rewick - carefully - when needed. On true re-buildables, I use rayon. I find it wicks better than cotton (which wicks better than silica.)

You might find that you do need to recharge a bit more often, at the higher power. Or not. In Mean mode the regulation circuit is bouncing the voltage (and hence the current) up and down to find and (try to hold) so may not be as efficient, so there might not be much difference. But with your 2500 mAh battery (and you do have more than one, yes :) ) and not being into clouds, you shouldn't have any problems going a day or more between charges.

And I find the smoother vape worth it. :)

Sue1971

ECF Veteran
Aug 22, 2010
Mass
I'm sorry I have another question, I went ahead and put the smaller batter in the vamo v5 ( 18350 3.7v li-mn highdrain rechargeable battery, 10.5A) and been vaping away with 2.2 coil at 7w, The vamo seems to be getting much more warmer on the hand than it did with the bigger battery. Is this normal? I like the compact size (it's the same size as the mvp) but if it's going to be warm in the hand not sure I want to keep using the small battery.

Thanks

Davey59

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 29, 2014
Monroe WA
I thought that was happening too. Turned out I was palming it and holding it constantly in short mode (not SHORT mode heh) I turned it off and held it while watching TV and it was the heat from my hand. I just hold it differently with the small batt.

I really like the Vamo in 18350 mode, actually lasts many hours. I may buy some more batteries that size.

edyle

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 23, 2013
I'm sorry I have another question, I went ahead and put the smaller batter in the vamo v5 ( 18350 3.7v li-mn highdrain rechargeable battery, 10.5A) and been vaping away with 2.2 coil at 7w, The vamo seems to be getting much more warmer on the hand than it did with the bigger battery. Is this normal? I like the compact size (it's the same size as the mvp) but if it's going to be warm in the hand not sure I want to keep using the small battery.

Thanks

1:
Drawing 7 watts from a smaller battery will stress that battery more than drawing the same 7 watts from a larger battery of the same type.

2:
If you shake the vamo and feel some rattle/knocking of the battery inside the tube, then it means the battery might be too lose and the spring at the bottom might not be making sufficient contact.

Trainguy059

ECF Veteran
Aug 29, 2012
Indiana
I have several V2s and all have outlasted my expectations. I decided to upgrade to the SS V5 from FastTech which just arrived in yesterday's mail. A few things I'm disappointed in:
The V5 I received did not have the latest brass cap spring. The included silver spring causes the cap to get very warm at 8-9 watts.
It doesn't remember settings when changing out the battery. All my V2s retain the settings.
The OLED screen is impossible to read in normal daylight conditions.
Compared to the V2, the V5 feels "cheap". Not nearly the heft of the SS V2.
It randomly and frequently shuts itself off for no apparent reason.
I'm pretty sure this one is going back to FastTech for replacement.

Is losing the settings after a battery change inherent to the V5 or did I just get a fluke?

edyle

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 23, 2013
I have several V2s and all have outlasted my expectations. I decided to upgrade to the SS V5 from FastTech which just arrived in yesterday's mail. A few things I'm disappointed in:
The V5 I received did not have the latest brass cap spring. The included silver spring causes the cap to get very warm at 8-9 watts.
It doesn't remember settings when changing out the battery. All my V2s retain the settings.
The OLED screen is impossible to read in normal daylight conditions.
Compared to the V2, the V5 feels "cheap". Not nearly the heft of the SS V2.
It randomly and frequently shuts itself off for no apparent reason.
I'm pretty sure this one is going back to FastTech for replacement.

Is losing the settings after a battery change inherent to the V5 or did I just get a fluke?

My v3 does lose some setting after battery change;

might try switch off first to see if that causes setting to save before changing batt.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread