Eleutheromaniac
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 14, 2013
SE PA
The perfect topper for a Vaporshark?

prFrxkm.jpg

IBTanked 19mm, black lids, 'Rook' drip tip. Standard-sized Victorinox Swiss Army knife for scale. Photo is larger than life on most desktop monitors.

Rossum

Eleutheromaniac
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 14, 2013
SE PA
OK, so I opened it up again (trivial with the correct sized allen wrench) to take a quick picture:

wggcA7Z.jpg

As you can see, this thing is pretty full. I don't think it's possible to fit a bigger battery in there.

I have never pulled any of the components out of it. However, I've inserted additional ones. The two whiteish 'squares' at the ends of the battery are not stock. The first time I took it apart (to see if there was some way of tightening the 510 connector to the case) I noticed that the battery had a mm or two of axial play and I didn't like that; in fact I could forsee the ground side shorting against the case (probably not a big deal) or the plus side shorting against the charger board (potentially catastrophic). Yes, the soldered plus connection on the battery is taped over, but just didn't seem entirely adequate to me, and there was just enough room to insert those squares of UHMWPE tape. It makes a darn good insulator. I didn't peel the backing so it's not stuck to anything, it's just sitting in there. Now there's essentially zero axial play in the battery as well.

CABBA

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 28, 2013
Canada
OK, so I opened it up again (trivial with the correct sized allen wrench) to take a quick picture:

Nice work. I hope they release a version 2 that can use 18350 batteries or some other quick swap option. It's not so much the battery capacity that bothers me as much as it is that I can do a quick swap. For a device of such small proportions I'm willing to accept that the mAh will be lower, but to be an all day dependable device there needs to be a battery change option or sumptin like that. I'd be afraid to leave my house with just this thing in its current state. Then again maybe it's not meant to be an all day type device.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rossum

Eleutheromaniac
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 14, 2013
SE PA
If you spend much time at a desk or in a vehicle, it's not a problem as an all-day device; just plug it in every once it a while; it doesn't take long to put a significant amount of charge in that battery. For me, that covers 98 or so days out of 100, 'cause I already have micro-USB cables on my desks and in my cars.

Nonetheless, my next device (already on order) is a Protovapor. It's built much like the Vaporshark (i.e. the battery isn't easily removable) but with a 2900 mAh 18650 inside, I'm not worried about making it through a whole day away from power. :D

jameth

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 26, 2011
Southern Utah
rugy7y2e.jpg

amunu5um.jpg

ugeza5ev.jpg

6e3e5aze.jpg

They make a great team!

Im gonna be stripping my VS DNA down to the bare metal soon, I think it will look pretty sweet polished up aluminum.

Looks like you got the v2 finish on yours that doesnt wipe off in 24 hours.

The VaporShark logo is all white on the new ones, and white and blue on the old ones.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

jameth

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 26, 2011
Southern Utah
By the way, the DNA20 is capable of doing SOME step down of the voltage.

I have seen it step down a fresh charged battery to 3.4 volts on a .7 ohm load, fully regulated at 16.5 watts.

If you go much lower then that though, then the DNA20 can't step it down, and it will send full power through the 510, and blink the ohms at you.

Rossum

Eleutheromaniac
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 14, 2013
SE PA
They make a great team!
I would think so; that's why I've ordered a Protovapor as well. :D

Im gonna be stripping my VS DNA down to the bare metal soon, I think it will look pretty sweet polished up aluminum.
Looking forward to seeing pics of that, but I kinda like basic black.

pastubbs

ECF Veteran
Jun 24, 2013
Chattanooga, TN USA
pastubbs.com

Same here I wanted a Proto Vapor xpv before I even seen a Vapor Shark but I all ready have a dual 18650 DNA20 mod so when I seen the Vspor Shark I jumped on it thinking it would sell out quick like all other DNA mods have but they've managed to keep them in stock some how. I love the Vapor Shark its tiny and if you throw a tiny RDA on it it makes for a tiny pocket DNA20 mod. But now that I look back at the Proto Vapor I must have one you know for those in-between moments IE:

[dual 18650 DNA20 mod for the house] [*somewhere in-between here*] [Vapor Shark for the on the go DNA20 mod]

jameth

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 26, 2011
Southern Utah

Looking forward to seeing pics of that, but I kinda like basic black.

I like the black too, but the black on mine is wearing pretty quickly, mostly because I throw it in the same pocket as a couple other mods.

I am not sure if when they "fixed" the logo issue where it literally would just wipe off (which I actually was glad my logo wiped off, all black was sexier) if they made the base black finish stronger as well or not, maybe someone else can chime in.

Rossum

Eleutheromaniac
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 14, 2013
SE PA
My base black is holding up well so far everywhere, except the raised bezel around the display at the bottom on which it constantly sits. However, when I put it in a pocket, it's typically in a pocket by itself. This is easy for me in the winter when I'm always wearing a fleece jacket; it will be more difficult in the summer, at which point I might just have to get some kind of holster made for it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread