Vaporshark DNA

Status
Not open for further replies.

cecsystems

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
In fact, proprietary cable == deal breaker for me. That means I cant use the USB i already have in my car/office, and have to tote around ONE cable to use in all places. Makes this go from a very appealing device to one i wont consider. That sucks.

Agreed! so eda123 are you a java programmer ==

cecsystems

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Agree (Dude, i love your avatar btw).

A mode that likely will NOT last me a full day, will HAVE to be charged, and CANNOT use any cables i have readily available in multiple places (car/work/home/etc). Damn, this thing looked really cool until i heard this. Bummer.

I would suspect that this version will have rather short legs... so to speak. I'm rather confident that this design choice perhaps cost them up 50% of potential sales? They will still sell a fair share of them but any of us that have been vaping for a fair amount of time will see the short-sightedness of this design choice in short order and will steer clear (for the time being)... my :2c:

Last edited:
Yeah, it didn't make sense that they listened to all the other criticism's of the first version, and didn't put a bigger battery in, and then decided on a proprietary cable for charging, even if it might lead to faster charge times. Were people complaining about the minu-usb connection ? I didn't see that. Or maybe they were getting too many returns on the power connection ? It would be interesting to know what prompted the change. Are they simply trying to get people to send it to them for repairs and parts ? It would be nice if the folks at VaporShark would comment.

Rossum

Eleutheromaniac
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 14, 2013
SE PA
I don't see any way to put a bigger battery in it while keeping the form factor. If you need a bigger battery, a different device would be a better choice. But think about it this way: Its capacity already exceeds a typical 18350 device, and is on par with the better 18490/18500s. About the only way to get more is with an 18650 and devices capable of holding those are substantially bigger.

What's interesting is their Info Page still says "top off as needed with Micro USB" right above "Magnetic Charging System".

But the Buy Now page has this picture:

FiWEw8I.jpg

I guess we'll have to wait a few more weeks to find out what the real deal is.

Fury83

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 14, 2012
Nowhere
As long as extra cables are cheap...I can't see people being ok with having one. Micro usb was nice because I have it for cell phones, ps4 and so on. So I don't have to carry one cable around the house or to my car.

The battery size is good for the mod size. A ZNA 30 with it's default tube is much bigger and has the sameish mah and you have to swap the batteries as far as I know. A hana mini is .3 thicker with the same size battery. If you want a bigger battery without a huge device, you'll probably want one of the smaller mod makers who had 2400mah lipos in a reasonably small size.

Last edited:
My 2 cents worth!
I ordered me VS before they were available. I just love it! Only lasted a month with a bad charging port. I'm guessing it was an assembly issue because my new one has a charging port that looks much cleaner, and the battery position has been tightened up. In regard to the wobble of your atty that some have encountered, a small o-ring over your atties 510 connector works wonders. If you haven't already, a box of assorted o-ring sizes from the hardware store will not go unused. Like others, I would enjoy a bigger battery, but from a marketing standpoint, having the smallest, most powerful, mass produced DNA mod was the right choice.
I use a Russian 91% knockoff from Tobeco and it's the most well made piece of equipment I've purchased. Used for about a month with one of three 2.2 ohm coils that came with the package. I just rewick with cotton every few days. I generally vape between 7-10 watts, depending on my mood. Won't be long before all the stuff I've collected over the past 1 1/2 years gets packed into a box and into the closet. I really don't feel I need a better vape than this setup gives me. Completely satisfied! I can hardly believe I was into Kanger T2s for so long.
Happy vaping folks!
My favorites mods in order of pref.:
VS DNA, Sigelei V8, Vapor Wood, Sigelei TMAX

jameth

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 26, 2011
Southern Utah
No pics yet, but my VS DNA is taken fully apart, I have stripped the black paint finish off the casing, and am in the process of polishing the aluminum up right now, it should easily polish to a mirror finish.

Also, for those of you that would rather not have that super bright blue LED on the fire switch, it is super easy to disconnect that LED, if you pop the two allen bolts out, the top comes right off, and right there exposed on the top is the switch board, and a contact labeled "D+" , soldered to this is the leg of the positive side of the LED in the switch. It is sticking up enough that you can snip it quite easily without any further dissasembly.

Pics soon, but I am not rushing the polishing stage of this, gonna take my time and make it real nice.

jameth

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 26, 2011
Southern Utah
Since you've completely stripped yours, got any ideas for making the 510 connector more secure and less wobbly?

Once I am to the stage of trying to get all the guts back inside the case, I will look at that.

I can't really say my 510 is wobbly though, so I am not to sure what I will find.

The USB port on the version 1 of these is literally hot glued into place as far as I can tell, I will see what I can do with that to make it more secure and mounted straight as well.

The ohms readout locked up 2.2 which was my previous reading on my coil before I removed 1 wrap to get the ohms down a bit. It now says 1.8 on my ohms reader. Apparently the DNA board has some bugs, as this is the second time it locked up for no apparent reason. As I was nearing the of the charge cycle, I just kept hitting the button and holding for 5 seconds at a time. Finally the screen went blank(full discharge). Charged up again and all was well! I think this DNA board should have an easier reset. As for the new magnetic charging port, I think it's a great idea. My Apple laptop sometimes gets disconnected from powee when I swing it over my lap.I still smile when when plugging the magnetic connector back into the laptop. One of my favorite features.

Last edited:

Gonzi

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 6, 2014
Marietta, GA, USA
I just ordered a VS DNA30 in gunmetal yesterday. The magnetic charge port wasn't a deterent for me, actually I prefer it over a hot glued in charge port that seems like it might come lose with time. I also love the mag-safe charger on my macbook pro, so this excited me.

For those of you woried about the availability of the extra cable, there is an option to add an additional charging cable when you order, bringing your total to $177.98 shipped. Can't go wrong in my book.

Gonzi

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 6, 2014
Marietta, GA, USA
I can understand that Rossum. To me, 2 is enough, 1 for the house and the 2nd to keep in my car and carry in to work with me. Right now my ADV are either a Nemesis if I feel like using a mech or a Provari mini if I feel like a regulated vape, but I've been wanting a DNA 20 mod since they first started comming out, and couldn't resist the form factor of the VaporShark and the DNA30 just forced me to buy it, specially for the price.

By the way, is your Proto a DNA20 or 30?

cecsystems

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
No pics yet, but my VS DNA is taken fully apart, I have stripped the black paint finish off the casing, and am in the process of polishing the aluminum up right now, it should easily polish to a mirror finish.

Also, for those of you that would rather not have that super bright blue LED on the fire switch, it is super easy to disconnect that LED, if you pop the two allen bolts out, the top comes right off, and right there exposed on the top is the switch board, and a contact labeled "D+" , soldered to this is the leg of the positive side of the LED in the switch. It is sticking up enough that you can snip it quite easily without any further dissasembly.

Pics soon, but I am not rushing the polishing stage of this, gonna take my time and make it real nice.

Hey Jameth, what ever happened to those pictures?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread