Vaporshark DNA

Status
Not open for further replies.

cecsystems

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
New vaporshark 20 owner here and have a question..
My ohm reader only reads .9ohms on everything..Currently running pt2 with stock 2.2 head and shows .9ohms when fired and released. Does not matter what I attach for atomizer. Anyone have similar issue?
Does my unit need a hard reset? Everything is soldered so I would have to disconnect ground and reattach?
Just trying to avoid sending it in.

It is my understanding that if you fully drain the battery fully to the point where it will no longer fire... the dna 20 board will do a reset and the Ω readings will return to normal... It's a dna 20 thing but does seem to happen a bit more often with the vaporshark than with say... a ProtoVapor XPV, perhaps this is just my perception and there may be more of the vaporsharks around so perhaps it isn't a fair assessment. But that should fix you up...

DPLongo22

aka "The Sesquipedalian"
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 17, 2011
Midworld
My experience is that draining the battery to the point where it will no longer fire is not enough. You have to go further than that; to the point where the DNA shuts itself down, so that it will re-boot when you re-charge.

That's actually correct. Just keep pushing that button after it stops firing. I've had to do a couple of times, with an internal battery mod, and it works like a charm (Thank you, Mamu, for the advice).

yellowrider

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 22, 2012
MN
OK. I was able to reset the device by fully draining battery. I drained it until the display shut off. Threw it on the charger and shes good to go!! Thanks everyone!!!
I noticed some major wiggle/slop in the 510 connection that made this device feel kinda incomplete.. I used the spare o rings that come with the protank2's in between atty and 510 connection and now she feels solid. The PT2 spare orings is the same diameter as the 510 connection so it works well. Easier to put on if you put it on the atty first and slide it up all the way. Honestly this is a good practice on any atty and mod so you dont end up over tightening the 510 connection while still getting it pretty snug and does not leave a huge gap as these collapse very well.
CAM00015.jpg

CAM00016.jpg

Last edited:

Rossum

Eleutheromaniac
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 14, 2013
SE PA
are there any similar sized batteries with higher mah rating that could be used?
I don't think so. At 15x58 mm, it looks to be a pretty unusual sized battery.

I wouldn't sweat the capacity. Remember, you can use it while charging, and you can charge it pretty much anywhere.

Rossum

Eleutheromaniac
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 14, 2013
SE PA
If it wiggles, that's a sign that your topper isn't screwed down flush. The toppers that have spent the most time on my Vaporshark have been: An iClear 30s, a 19mm IBT with Smok flanged carto, and an Aerotank. The carto never wiggled, but the the Innokin and Kanger tanks did. Both of their bases remained maybe 1/32" above the mod's body after they were screwed on with only minimal torque. My guess is one could keep cranking and thereby tweak the centerpins in the 510 connectors to the point were base of the topper was firmly against the body of the mod (which would eliminate any wiggle) but I didn't want to do that for fear that other toppers might no longer make contact with with the pin. So I solved my wiggle problem another way. I used a bit of UHMW Tape to "pad" the bases of the toppers. Because the non-sticky side of the tape has a very low coefficient of friction, this also protects the finish around the connector of the Vaporshark.

Rossum

Eleutheromaniac
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 14, 2013
SE PA
Will I be able to replace the battery when it won't hold a charge anymore? Yep, I believe my soldering skills are up to the task. ;)

But somehow, I don't think that's quite what you're asking. There's no room for a bigger battery. Think about it, this device is TINY. Nor is it practical to swap out the battery for a freshly charged one.

That said, I don't find the 1200 mAh capacity to be a problem. The Vaporshark was my primary mod for several weeks. Charge it overnight, and give it an hour or so of charge during the day (e.g. at your desk or in your car, assuming you commute) and you'll never run it down to the point where it refuses to fire. Remember too that you can use it while it's charging.

Now if you need something that will run as your only device away from any power sources for an entire 16 hour day, then the Vaporshark probably isn't the right device for you. In that case, I would recommend a Protovapor XPV. :D

joeaux

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 9, 2013
Central Florida
plus.google.com
Thanks for the tip on the attys on the VS Rossum. I've been using the "o-ring" method. I'll give your idea a try. And as a follow on to someone elses question, yes you can replace the battery. I unsoldered mine just to see how hard/easy it would be. Easy if you can solder. Just make sure you follow all the normal solder techniques for not overheating what you're soldering. Especially when considering this is a LiPo battery. Oh and the exact battery is readily available on the web. I checked it out about a month ago. I've had no issues with this Vaporshark DNA. My first one had a bad 510 connector. The thin (and I mean thin) insulator between the positive and negative terminals inside the 510 connection literally came apart. VS replaced it no problem. Even paid for the shipping. I'm pretty careful now with the 510 connector. I love this device. It's small, powerful and the battery lasts a pretty long time. Easy to charge via USB if need be. Good thread here. Let's keep it up to date with any good or bad things that go down with this device. And when one of you gets his VS DNA30, a review and pics!

Rossum

Eleutheromaniac
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 14, 2013
SE PA
Thanks for the tip on the attys on the VS Rossum. I've been using the "o-ring" method.
One of the first toppers I used on the VS was an iClear 30S, and it gets its air from the 510, so I think an o-ring would have choked it off, whereas the UHMW tape can be cut an applied in several pieces that leave gaps for air flow.

StaircaseWit

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 18, 2013
The Pit of Despair
YES !!!!!!!!!!!

Edit: The catch is, they've pushed back their shipping dates again.

I think those dates may be for a second run, which also includes the non-magnetic micro-usb version.

In other words, if you order now, that's when they'll ship. If you ordered earlier, when only the magnetic version was available, it will ship 2/20 or earlier.

At least that's what I'm hoping...

The magnetic cable is only $7.99, something I was happy to see. I ordered an extra cable that already shipped; in fact it may be sitting in my mailbox right now. I know micro-usb is ubiquitous and it's nice to see them offer both options, but I think I'm going to appreciate the fact that the magnetic connection won't fill up with pocket lint/dirt like my phone's does.

Rossum

Eleutheromaniac
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 14, 2013
SE PA
I actually applaud them for offering both. I understand the advantage of the magnetic connection, and the cost of the cable was never an issue for me. It was simply needing yet another kind of cable that I objected to. But for those people (typically Apple users) who don't already have micro-USB cables everywhere, the magnetic connector makes all kinds of sense.

Regarding the wiggle in the 510 connector.
I only use a Kayfun clone on my VS these days and I resolved the wiggle by using a piece of white plastic toothpick you can buy in the tooth care section of the market. Just cut and trimming with scissors is enough to take up any slack in the 510 movement. I've had mine jammed into the corner and it has completely removed any jiggle in the 510. As it's plastic, I expect it will last a long time. I don't advocate any over tightening of the atty on a 510 connector. Finger snug only......if that doesn't work, you have another issue that needs to be resolved.
I haven't read anyone mentioning how comfortable holding this mod is when charging. It's exactly how I always hold the mod only now the charging cable is attached. Defiantly my favorite mod on all levels.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread