Variable Volt Gripper

Status
Not open for further replies.

BubbaBlue

Verified Member
Mar 5, 2012
Maryland
I ordered one early this morning. Why?

• Have been pretty happy with MV hardware up to this point (not counting the last two orders of 3152 DCC's that are now cr@p) so I figured Hoogie wouldn't steer us wrong.
  • Was holding out for the new Lavatube next week but it bothered me that it tops out at 3 amps. Wanted more and this one will do 4. Good.
  • It appears to have the latest bells and whistles... volts/ohms/etc.
  • Love the other Gripper.
  • Cheaper than the LT plus the 10% coupon is a bonus.

So... WTH.

JimmyJet

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 30, 2011
Carolinas
Would it take a Panasonic IMR? Like this one CGR18650CH Panasonic 18650 Li-Mn-Li-ion CGR18650CH High Drain 10A Rechargeable IMR Hybrid Battery Cell that would be a huge deciding factor for me.

From a performance standpoint, yes the Panasonics will work. 10A C-rating is more than enough. The only question is dimensions but I suspect they will fit fine. I have 4 of these Panasonics and in my humble opinion they are the best high-drain 18650's on the market. Even the flashlight guys love them, and they are tough critics. Let us know after your Gripper VV arrives.

ejervjero

ECF Veteran
Jan 16, 2012
Raleigh,NC
From a performance standpoint, yes the Panasonics will work. 10A C-rating is more than enough. The only question is dimensions but I suspect they will fit fine. I have 4 of these Panasonics and in my humble opinion they are the best high-drain 18650's on the market. Even the flashlight guys love them, and they are tough critics. Let us know after your Gripper VV arrives.

That is exactly why I bought the Panasonics when I was in the market for some real IMR batteries when I got tired of the generic ones that came with my previous kits.

Madvapes is about 2 1/2 hour drive from me so I should get it quick if they ship it out Monday.

TravTech

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 11, 2012
PA
This new mod does look sweet. I've already consider just about all that's been discussed here, and I'm very close to hitting the checkout button.

Nice that the button is neutral for right or left. 4a rocks. I got a bunch of those panasonics on the way from a coop as I type this. Volt/Ohms + definitely more pocket friendly than my Provari. It costs what I used to pay for a carton of smokes, which kind of makes it a no-brainer for me.

About my only concern / question, since I can't pick it up in my hands, would be quality of construction. I do like the rubberized coating.

I'm going to sleep on it and probably still end up buying in the AM.

JimmyJet

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 30, 2011
Carolinas
Keep in mind that the Panasonic high-drains come in two styles, flat-top and button-top. Depending on the mod, both styles may or may not make contact on the positive side of the batt. We won't know for sure until somebody tries and reports back. But if the flat-tops don't make contact, a dab of solder on the positive side should solve the problem.

hoogie76

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Aug 1, 2009
Charlotte, NC
I've been testing the VV gripper for a few days now and it's pretty sweet. It uses one 18650 IMR Battery. If you can find a shorter style protected 18650, it should work but the ultrafire and trustfires we have don't fit(well they do kind of but it's really tight and stresses the little flip cover that closes when replacing the battery).

The device has a 10 second cutoff, low battery indicator and an on/off function.

It comes with a fold out type pamphlet which tells of the various button functions but is difficult to see what button is what so one of the pictures on the product page has them laid out..

Switch 3, when pressed very rapidly 5 times, turns the device on or off. I found that I just press it a bunch of times and it turns on or off. When the device is on, you press switch 3 once and it tells you the currently attached atty or carto ohms for 3 seconds, then flips to your actual battery voltage, not what voltage you are running at which is a pretty cool feature.

Switch 1 and 2 control the voltage output, which I haven't tested at the connector yet but I can definitely tell the difference when I change it.

It will also show lo on the display when the battery is low but haven't measured the battery voltage yet when it reaches low.

Overall, it's about the size of a 3xAA battaery box but about a half inch taller. So far, I'm really impressed with the ease of use and reliability.

We only got in 200 of them so for now they're exclusive to Madvapes, but soon enough everyone will have them :(

hoog

ejervjero

ECF Veteran
Jan 16, 2012
Raleigh,NC
I've been testing the VV gripper for a few days now and it's pretty sweet. It uses one 18650 IMR Battery. If you can find a shorter style protected 18650, it should work but the ultrafire and trustfires we have don't fit(well they do kind of but it's really tight and stresses the little flip cover that closes when replacing the battery).

The device has a 10 second cutoff, low battery indicator and an on/off function.

It comes with a fold out type pamphlet which tells of the various button functions but is difficult to see what button is what so one of the pictures on the product page has them laid out..

Switch 3, when pressed very rapidly 5 times, turns the device on or off. I found that I just press it a bunch of times and it turns on or off. When the device is on, you press switch 3 once and it tells you the currently attached atty or carto ohms for 3 seconds, then flips to your actual battery voltage, not what voltage you are running at which is a pretty cool feature.

Switch 1 and 2 control the voltage output, which I haven't tested at the connector yet but I can definitely tell the difference when I change it.

It will also show lo on the display when the battery is low but haven't measured the battery voltage yet when it reaches low.

Overall, it's about the size of a 3xAA battaery box but about a half inch taller. So far, I'm really impressed with the ease of use and reliability.

We only got in 200 of them so for now they're exclusive to Madvapes, but soon enough everyone will have them :(

hoog

I will be kind of depressed if mine arrives and the High Drain Panasonic CGR18650CH 10A 18650 Rechargeable Battery Cell IMR don't fit into it. Those suckers are the best battery for me I have found at 2200mah for IMR. I do have the flat top so hopefully they do fit in it.

hoogie76

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Aug 1, 2009
Charlotte, NC
do you or will you carry the batts for this bad boy i want one it has the bells and whistles i wanf at an affordable price...

Yes.. We're working to get the IMR batteries on the website. So far we've received 15270's, 16340's, 14500's, 18350's and 18650's. Some flat tops, some button tops. I really like this new brand of IMR's so far and we'll probably be expanding the selection a bit.

hoog

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread