The costs of running this huge site are paid for by ads. Please consider registering and becoming a Supporting Member for an ad-free experience. Thanks, ECF team.

Variable Volt Gripper

Discussion in 'MadVapes' started by wolfstone5, Jul 20, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Image has been removed.
URL has been removed.
Email address has been removed.
Media has been removed.
  1. dale1962

dale1962 Ultra Member ECF Veteran

Oct 24, 2009
    Charlotte,NC
    If u get the gripper kit how many holes are punched in the dct 1.5ohm carto's that come with kit?Can u request in comments if u want double hole one's? TIA

2. DancingHeretik

DancingHeretik Dancing in the Chaos Verified Member ECF Veteran

Supporting member
    Mar 20, 2011
    San Antonio, TX
    So, the IMR LiMn 18650 2000mah batteries that come with the kit are unprotected high-drain batteries, right?

3. TravTech

TravTech Vaping Master Verified Member ECF Veteran

Apr 11, 2012
    PA
    This^^

The IMR's are generally shorter. The only other concern would be nipple vs flat top but I'd tend to think IMR's overall shouldn't have a problem.

Another reason to go IMR (safe chemistry - high drain) vs Protected is that the Gripper has a 4 amp limit. Protected batteries often have "over discharge protection" that can limit their output even below 4 amps.
    So if you want to get everthing you can out of the mod, you'd want to use the IMR's since they have the higher discharge limits.

For example, the CGR18650CH's have a max discharge of 10amps, more than enough to deliver this mod's 4amp full potential. While the mod itself would limit it to no more than 4 amps.

4. Njt07

Njt07 Ultra Member ECF Veteran

Aug 6, 2011
    Ft Hood TX
    Has anyone gotten this yet? I need/want to replace my wife's vv box from madvapes, she's been using it since December when she broke hers and stole mine...

I assume since it's a boosted circuit it's regulated (electronics is not my forte) so it will be similar in performance to the vv box mod. Does it heat up like the vv box mod does? How is the battery life? I'm planning on buying some aw imr batteries for it, I think the ones in the kit are protected right, not the aw imr kind? Is there a difference? Sorry for all the questions.

5. Njt07

Aug 6, 2011
    Ft Hood TX
    Oh yeah and will 18650 batteries fit in my pila charger?

6. ejervjero

ejervjero Senior Member ECF Veteran

Jan 16, 2012
    Raleigh,NC
    I would say this is comparable to the VMAX except this uses just 1 18650 instead of stacked batteries, has a 4AMP limit compared to a 5AMP on the vmax, and one is a gripper style while the other is a tube style. I believe I saw on Smoktek site they even label it as a VMAX type mod.

If that is true we should expect pretty close to exactly what the VMAX users are experiecing with performance. The good thing here is we can hopefully use those nice 2250mah Panasonic IMR's and get that amazing performance those give.

If no one else posts before I get mine will update if the Panasonics with flat tips do fit since I don't have the nipple ones.

7. TravTech

Apr 11, 2012
    PA
    Per FedEx tracking mine should be showing up at my work Wednesday. However it will probably be another week before my CGR18650CH's (flat and nipple) show up from the coop.

I got a couple generic orange jacket IMR's I can use in the mean time but they're flat tops. I'm sure they will fit the mod.

8. Rader2146

Rader2146 Ultra Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Mar 11, 2012
    Waco, TX
    Battery length for comparison:

AW IMR 1600mAh - 65.3mm
    AW IMR 2000mAh - 65.2mm
    Orbtronic Button-Top Panasonic CGR18650CH - 66.9mm
    "Naked" Flat-Top Panasonic CGR18650CH - 65.0mm
    Trustfire "Flames" 2400mAh - 68.5mm

9. ejervjero

Jan 16, 2012
    Raleigh,NC
    Holy Crap

I ordered this on Sunday 7/22 and Madvapes shipped it yesterday 7/23 and it is already in my mailbox today!

1 day shipping with standard shipping USPS must have hired some people to drive.

10. Njt07

Aug 6, 2011
    Ft Hood TX
    So... How is it? If you put at, say 4.2 is it really 4.2?

11. ejervjero

Jan 16, 2012
    Raleigh,NC
    It is out for delivery but hopefully when I get out of work in 4 hours it will be sitting there waiting for me to test.

12. TravTech

Apr 11, 2012
    PA
    I'd expect it to work as advertised electronically. About the only mystery there would be whether it's pulsed like the Vmax & V8 or just straight DC. With the pulse wave mods the vape seems like the voltage is actually higher than the displayed setting. In which case you may have to use a lower setting than what you're used to.

So you may want to start out lower and work your way up to avoid frying a carto.

My area of concern / question would be regarding the build quality. Fit & finish, how it feels, durability, etc.

13. JAY73

JAY73 Super Member ECF Veteran

Jul 5, 2011
    CLEBURNE TX
    wow just priced the batts on the site $13.99 each so somebody let us know how the panasonic batts work out radioshack has them for $5.99 each i need to save as much $$$ as possible...

14. JimmyJet

JimmyJet Super Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Mar 30, 2011
    Carolinas
    Not sure which 18650 Radio Shack has but be careful. I doubt their 18650's are suitable for a single-battery VV mod. High-drain safe-chemistry is very important in this type of mod.

15. hoogie76

hoogie76 Unregistered Supplier ECF Veteran

Aug 1, 2009
    Charlotte, NC
    Good catch Jay73.. The IMR Batteries were priced incorrectly and have been adjusted. sorry :(

hoog

16. JAY73

JAY73 Super Member ECF Veteran

Jul 5, 2011
    CLEBURNE TX
    thank's hoog this will be my new & first vv mod maybe the wife wont kill me when i tell her how much i want to spend for it darn sure cheaper than the vmax and four batts which will be mine someday i just hope it is durable enough to last me while i save for the vmax...

17. ejervjero

Jan 16, 2012
    Raleigh,NC
    I think my post office opened the package and decided they liked what was inside lol . Normally would have received my mail 5 hours ago and the package still hasn't arrived yet it has shown out for delivery for 8 hours.

18. ejervjero

Jan 16, 2012
    Raleigh,NC
    Well the tracking shows it delivered now yet no package :( Wonder where my package went off to.

Contacted USPS and of course my post office closed now. They have opened a investigation to where my carrier delivered my package.

19. TravTech

Apr 11, 2012
    PA
    I hate when that sort of thing happens. I've got some pretty shady mailmen type activity around my way too. Every and any thing that even looks like a Birthday / holiday card somehow manages to get ripped open pretty far (looking for cash I assume). Had several packages just not make it to me over the years as well, even with tracking.

I have everything sent to my work now and use Fedex / UPS whenever possible. Especially for higher $$ purchases.

I'm glad Madvapes had the Fedex option available considering I added a bunch of unrelated stuff to the Gripper order.

20. ejervjero

Jan 16, 2012
    Raleigh,NC
    Ya I am guessing they going to find out either it was delivered to wrong address, the post office accidently tagged it as delivered but never sent it out, or that the mailman ended up going home and decided only 1/2 my mail was to be delivered today :)

I am fairly certain that no one stole it since I have never had a missing package and have had eliquid sent here at least 1-2 times a week in pretty big batches. If it doesn't come tomorrow I will go looking for my neighbors to see what they vaping :)

I just checked my last order from MadVapes before this one and USPS tracking showed just "Delivered" nothing else in the tracking. Everytime I end up with something shipped from USPS it shows me just how sucky their tracking is compared to Fedex who knows how to actually track a package.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.