Status
Not open for further replies.

TravTech

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 11, 2012
PA
High-drain (safe-chemistry) 18650's are generally shorter than protected 18650's because high-drains don't require the protection circuit board. The difference is only a mm or two but that can make a big difference in certain mods.
This^^

The IMR's are generally shorter. The only other concern would be nipple vs flat top but I'd tend to think IMR's overall shouldn't have a problem.

Another reason to go IMR (safe chemistry - high drain) vs Protected is that the Gripper has a 4 amp limit. Protected batteries often have "over discharge protection" that can limit their output even below 4 amps.
So if you want to get everthing you can out of the mod, you'd want to use the IMR's since they have the higher discharge limits.

For example, the CGR18650CH's have a max discharge of 10amps, more than enough to deliver this mod's 4amp full potential. While the mod itself would limit it to no more than 4 amps.

Last edited:

Njt07

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Aug 6, 2011
Ft Hood TX
Has anyone gotten this yet? I need/want to replace my wife's vv box from madvapes, she's been using it since December when she broke hers and stole mine...

I assume since it's a boosted circuit it's regulated (electronics is not my forte) so it will be similar in performance to the vv box mod. Does it heat up like the vv box mod does? How is the battery life? I'm planning on buying some aw imr batteries for it, I think the ones in the kit are protected right, not the aw imr kind? Is there a difference? Sorry for all the questions.

ejervjero

ECF Veteran
Jan 16, 2012
Raleigh,NC
Has anyone gotten this yet? I need/want to replace my wife's vv box from madvapes, she's been using it since December when she broke hers and stole mine...

I assume since it's a boosted circuit it's regulated (electronics is not my forte) so it will be similar in performance to the vv box mod. Does it heat up like the vv box mod does? How is the battery life? I'm planning on buying some aw imr batteries for it, I think the ones in the kit are protected right, not the aw imr kind? Is there a difference? Sorry for all the questions.

I would say this is comparable to the VMAX except this uses just 1 18650 instead of stacked batteries, has a 4AMP limit compared to a 5AMP on the vmax, and one is a gripper style while the other is a tube style. I believe I saw on Smoktek site they even label it as a VMAX type mod.

If that is true we should expect pretty close to exactly what the VMAX users are experiecing with performance. The good thing here is we can hopefully use those nice 2250mah Panasonic IMR's and get that amazing performance those give.

If no one else posts before I get mine will update if the Panasonics with flat tips do fit since I don't have the nipple ones.

TravTech

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 11, 2012
PA
I'd expect it to work as advertised electronically. About the only mystery there would be whether it's pulsed like the Vmax & V8 or just straight DC. With the pulse wave mods the vape seems like the voltage is actually higher than the displayed setting. In which case you may have to use a lower setting than what you're used to.

So you may want to start out lower and work your way up to avoid frying a carto.

My area of concern / question would be regarding the build quality. Fit & finish, how it feels, durability, etc.

JimmyJet

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 30, 2011
Carolinas
wow just priced the batts on the site $13.99 each so somebody let us know how the panasonic batts work out radioshack has them for $5.99 each i need to save as much $$$ as possible...

Not sure which 18650 Radio Shack has but be careful. I doubt their 18650's are suitable for a single-battery VV mod. High-drain safe-chemistry is very important in this type of mod.

hoogie76

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Aug 1, 2009
Charlotte, NC
wow just priced the batts on the site $13.99 each so somebody let us know how the panasonic batts work out radioshack has them for $5.99 each i need to save as much $$$ as possible...

Good catch Jay73.. The IMR Batteries were priced incorrectly and have been adjusted. sorry :(

hoog

TravTech

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 11, 2012
PA
Well the tracking shows it delivered now yet no package :( Wonder where my package went off to.

Contacted USPS and of course my post office closed now. They have opened a investigation to where my carrier delivered my package. Checked my order and it was correctly shipped or should have been to the right address.

I hate when that sort of thing happens. I've got some pretty shady mailmen type activity around my way too. Every and any thing that even looks like a Birthday / holiday card somehow manages to get ripped open pretty far (looking for cash I assume). Had several packages just not make it to me over the years as well, even with tracking.

I have everything sent to my work now and use Fedex / UPS whenever possible. Especially for higher $$ purchases.

I'm glad Madvapes had the Fedex option available considering I added a bunch of unrelated stuff to the Gripper order.

ejervjero

ECF Veteran
Jan 16, 2012
Raleigh,NC
I hate when that sort of thing happens. I've got some pretty shady mailmen type activity around my way too. Every and any thing that even looks like a Birthday / holiday card somehow manages to get ripped open pretty far (looking for cash I assume). Had several packages just not make it to me over the years as well, even with tracking.

I have everything sent to my work now and use Fedex / UPS whenever possible. Especially for higher $$ purchases.

I'm glad Madvapes had the Fedex option available considering I added a bunch of unrelated stuff to the Gripper order.

Ya I am guessing they going to find out either it was delivered to wrong address, the post office accidently tagged it as delivered but never sent it out, or that the mailman ended up going home and decided only 1/2 my mail was to be delivered today :)

I am fairly certain that no one stole it since I have never had a missing package and have had eliquid sent here at least 1-2 times a week in pretty big batches. If it doesn't come tomorrow I will go looking for my neighbors to see what they vaping :)

I just checked my last order from MadVapes before this one and USPS tracking showed just "Delivered" nothing else in the tracking. Everytime I end up with something shipped from USPS it shows me just how sucky their tracking is compared to Fedex who knows how to actually track a package.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread