Why vapers are never satisfied: A Theory.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arnie H

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 25, 2013
Greensboro, NC, USA
www.bigtent.com
This is mostly conjecture, I am neither a medical doctor nor a mental health professional. But I think there may be some psychological basis which may explain the behaviour of many vapers (including myself) at least on a subconscious level.

Those of us who are ex-smokers (which is likely the majority) are simply not being satisfied by e-cigs. Let me explain:

As much as we may try to replicate the whole smoking thing via electronic cigarettes, and despite the fact that we know consciously that e-cigs cannot (as of yet and probably never will) deliver the exact same experience and satisfaction that cigarettes did, subconsciously our brains are still seeking this satisfaction and experience. And even though we are still getting nicotine in many cases, our bodies and minds are deprived of the thousands of other chemicals we became accustomed to while smoking.

So our brains are in deprivation mode so to speak. We feel incomplete, like we are missing something. We have a hard time being satisfied with vapor volume, throat hit, flavor, etc. And even when we think we are satisfied, something happens that proves we are not. This extends to devices as well. How can we account for the "vape mail" phenomena? Which reduces vapers to a near childlike state of anticipation?

For instance, I promised myself on several occasions, that I was satisfied with the equipment I had, but then something new comes out, and I find myself buying something else. Or a new vaping fad arises and I want to know more about it and feel I am missing out on something if I don't get in on it. Psychologically, our subconscious minds may be trying to fill this void/gap left after we quit smoking and switched to e-cigs a and our bodies and brain, were no longer getting the thousands of chemicals we were accustomed to.

As an individual with Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD) I see some parallels here that I think are interesting. For many with OCD, there is a similar feeling of "incompleteness", "wrongness","dissatisfaction". ect, which is brought on by intrusive/unwanted thoughts. This compels the person with OCD to seek some relief from the anxiety which these thoughts and feelings create which leads to compulsions (also known as rituals) as a means of seeking relief and achieving satisfaction and completeness/correctness. But the complusions are only a temporary fix and actually serve to reinforce this behavior. I believe, therefore, that a similiar process is occuring within the minds of vapers who were ex-smokers. So the seemingly endless pursuit of larger/thicker vapor clouds, greater throat hit, the best flavor, the hottest vape, the best device, the latest trends, etc. is a function of our subconscious brain's feeling of deprivation. There are also elements of perfectionism, which is observable in both cases.

Any thoughts? Comments?

Last edited:

The Ocelot

Psychopomp
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 12, 2012
The Clock Barrens, Fillory
As smokers it's rather a given we have addictive personalities, part of which is novelty-seeking. I think it's in our nature to be constantly looking for a challenge, a toy, a thing or perhaps just the looking for something itself, to give us a rush; it's true in my case anyway.

Last edited:

State O' Flux

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 17, 2013
Seattle
As much as we may try to replicate the whole smoking thing via electronic cigarettes, and despite the fact that we know consciously that e-cigs cannot (as of yet and probably never will) deliver the exact same experience and satisfaction that cigarettes did, subconsciously our brains are still seeking this satisfaction and experience. And even though we are still getting nicotine in many cases, our bodies and minds are deprived of the thousands of other chemicals we became accustomed to while smoking.

So our brains are in deprivation mode so to speak. We feel incomplete, like we are missing something. We have a hard time being satisfied with vapor volume, throat hit, flavor, etc. And even when we think we are satisfied, something happens that proves we are not. This extends to devices as well. How can we account for the "vape mail" phenomena? Which reduces vapers to a near childlike state of anticipation?

Any thoughts? Comments?
Hmmm... interesting views. Good to see people thinking and sharing those thoughts. No right or wrong here... just sharing and thought provocation.

I'm quite happy with vaping... for me, it's a different experience rather than a substitute, that I actually enjoy more than cigarettes.

I must admit, being a engineer, ex-machinist, ex-gunsmith and ex-technical instructor by trade (would that be by ex-trade?) I truly enjoy playing with RDA and RBA attys, mech mods, building "the perfect coil" and all the other little nik-noid fun things you can do with vaping accoutrements.

Cigarettes never gave me that experience... and had I known about vaping sooner, I would have bailed on butts much sooner as well. I get my hand to mouth - inhale/exhale - taste and flavor - "smoke" billowing etc etc - with the added benefit of fun toys to tinker with. ;-)

Rocketman

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
May 3, 2009
SouthEastern Louisiana
Arnie, Returning a 'Like',
and I do agree, generally, with what you said.
As far as really being satisfied with nic from e-cigs, that is only part of the satisfaction you get.
Obviously, the majority have determined that the cigarette looking mini doesn't satisfy with the amount of nic delivered, the charge life, durability. So they move up. Notice how I said 'UP'.

Up is good, right? Up in size, up in voltage, up in mah, up in features and price.
With subohm, down is still up. While some have stopped off along the way, finding 'satisfaction', some just have to have the new fangled, latest greatest, trendiest e-cig to either brag about in a forum, or post cloud videos on youtube. Whatever your reason, the sub-conscious mind will provide you with rationale, often as better taste, shorter hits or satisfying their DIY desires.
Notice how some DIY coil winders avoid other aspects of DIY? It gets you off the bench and into the game. Youtube has become an outlet for exhibitionists showing off their skills in making clouds.

My prediction is that subohm will move into higher voltages (stacked cells or boosters), smaller batteries (stacked pairs of IMR 16340) and even multiple subohm coils for super low ohm vaping. There is room at the top :)

Last edited:

The Ocelot

Psychopomp
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 12, 2012
Arnie, Returning a 'Like',
and I do agree, generally, with what you said.
As far as really being satisfied with nic from e-cigs, that is only part of the satisfaction you get.
Obviously, the majority have determined that the cigarette looking mini doesn't satisfy with the amount of nic delivered, the charge life, durability. So they move up. Notice how I said 'UP'.

Up is good, right? Up in size, up in voltage, up in mah, up in features and price.
With subohm, down is still up. While some have stopped off along the way, finding 'satisfaction', some just have to have the new fangled, latest greatest, trendiest e-cig to either brag about in a forum, or post cloud videos on youtube. Whatever your reason, the sub-conscious mind will provide you with rationale, often as better taste, shorter hits or satisfying their DIY desires.
Notice how some DIY coil winders avoid other aspects of DIY? It gets you off the bench and into the game.

My prediction is that subohm will move into higher voltages (stacked cells or boosters), smaller batteries (stacked pairs of IMR 16340) and even multiple subohm coils for super low ohm vaping. There is room at the top :)

And for others there will be different toys to seek. I predict more interest in liquid-feed systems.

State O' Flux

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 17, 2013
Seattle
Just get a REO is the old 'just get a provari' now right?

Ha ha, I get it.

*Searches forums for any mention of REO and clicks 'like'*
Now stop it... I get really tired of spitting coffee on my keyboard. Do you have any idea how many keyboards I go through a month, huh... well do you? :blink:

Rocketman

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
May 3, 2009
SouthEastern Louisiana
And for others there will be different toys to seek. I predict more interest in liquid-feed systems.

Yup,
a micro sized bottom feeder, stacked 16340, driving the new DNA40, variable temperature, triple subohm coil, with a intuitive mood sensor, and a digital video display, stainless steel APV :)

kushka

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 23, 2010
Marietta, GA
The thing is, you are equating "vapers" with people who read ECF.

I know 3 others who vape personally. They vape cig-a-likes they get at the local gas station and are perfectly happy.

When I started vaping, I started with an NJOY I bought locally, it was horribly overpriced, but I did not know any better and thus was happy.

Then I read ECF - I discovered I had been had - learned a lot - bought a lot - was never satisfied.

Then I became involved in other things, and for 2 year stopped reading ECF. During those 2 years I still vaped, a ego 650 passthrough with smoktech dual coil cartomizers (which had just come out about the time I stopped reading ECF). I was very happy with them, I had no desire for anything else. Since I vape unflavored, I figured my spending for my vaping habit was less then $3 a week for those 2 years.

Lately I have stated reading ECF again, I have bought a couple of mods, and a few new and clearos and tanks, and my vaping spending has gone up again.

People who spend time reading this forum are of two types, people who are new to vaping, and people who make a hobby out of vaping. The vaping hobbyist behave no different then other hobbyist, they spend a lot of time and energy on their hobby.

Most of the new people will settle on something they like, and maybe pop in every few months to see if there is anything new they want to buy, but only a few of us will behave in the obsessive way you describe. We hobbyist are only a small fraction of the people who vape.

The Ocelot

Psychopomp
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 12, 2012

State O' Flux

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 17, 2013
Seattle
People who spend time reading this forum are of two types, people who are new to vaping, and people who make a hobby out of vaping. The vaping hobbyist behave no different then other hobbyist, they spend a lot of time and energy on their hobby.
Ooo! Me me!... What do I win? :p

The Ocelot

Psychopomp
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 12, 2012

Excuse me, there are three. Some of us make a hobby out of posting. ;)

ETA: and searching the internet for things to post.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread